Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 19, 2017 3:15 PM

Oct 2014
Takamura-sama said:
you guys are acting as if this is as good as Clannad After story.

LOL!
Clannad After Story doesn't have even half the complexity this movie has. It's not even comparable. Koe no Katachi is about a bully who did terrible things and that learns just how bad what he did was, which made him start hating himself, to the point of thinking and trying to commit suicide. He then wanted to redeem himself and genuinely wanted to be friends with Shoko so he could try to make her happier, as a way for him to cope with himself and start forgiving himself. Clannad AS doesn't have half the complexity of feelings Koe no Katachi portrays. You just cry a little from you know what in the middle, see the already boring main character becoming even more disappointing, instead of being the support for someone he should be, and you cry a little more in the end where he finally gets together with you know who (trying not to spoil anything this way because I don't know how to input spoilers in here). In Clannad you can't see the feelings the guy's holding if not by his actions, while here you enter the main characters mind and you can understand perfectly how he's feeling and his state of mind.

It's pointless to compare both the animes and Clannad is a pretty bad anime and that, yes, is the most overrated anime here... How hard you cry doesn't define how good an anime is (though didn't really cry much in Clannad AS)... Plot, characters, development, art, sound,... So many things to judge so I can't think how Clannad AS would ever be better that Koe no Katachi...

By the way, I rated this with a 9, because I was amazed by the art and the complexity of the feelings that the characters have. I don't really think it is that overrated... Pretty art, nice and relatable story line, well constructed characters... I felt that how bullying can change a person's life is very well portrayed in this story. And how important it is to understand just how badly you can hurt someone and scar them for life. I think the feelings portrayed by the male main character were very realistic and there's a lot about the feelings of the female main character that's not very well explained because we're not seeing the story from her point of view, but if we think a little about it, I think they were realistic as well, I mean, how she tried to commit suicide because of the accumulated hatred she had of herself mixed with the guilt of changing/ruining other's people's lives. Yes, that last one is not what I think she did, but how I think she may have felt, because of what Ueno said in the ferris wheel, which she probably blamed herself for, as well as with the main guy trying to act as if he was fine when they went out after he had that fight with all the other guys which she probably also felt guilty for...

Well, that really was a good movie! I'm glad I watched it!
MaryHelenMay 19, 2017 3:24 PM
May 19, 2017 3:19 PM

Jul 2015
I personally liked it a lot and I honestly prefer it over the manga due to the faster pacing (the manga dragged out at times) and a conclusion that left me a lot more satisfied.

But well, not everyone has the same opinion, in my case I gave it a 9/10 and for me it's not overrated.
May 19, 2017 3:28 PM

Oct 2015
Yeah it overrated :p still feel the manga and kimi no na wa were better than this but I guess people think koe no katachi is better because of the mose harsh situations but I can understand why they think this movie is better than kimi no na wa
May 19, 2017 3:34 PM
Aug 2013
I watched this movie just now, I don't understand terms like overrated, the movie was top notch for me, compared to the best of movies I have seen it is pretty much there with them, I liked the music, the animation and the characters, there were bits here and there that could have been presented better or had more emphasis on but overall it was a masterpiece experience for me.

I've been trying to find decent things to watch for a while now, I might drop my rating a bit after I calm down a bit but this was amazing for now. I certainly enjoyed it and thought it was more relate able than AnoHana, to me it was WAYS above it on every aspect, if we're taking AnoHana as a level of comparison.
May 19, 2017 4:07 PM

Jan 2014
No, I actually think it's kinda underrated and went unnoticed for a lot of people because of Your Name. And we already seen movies like Your Name (see previous Makoto Shinkai works), so it makes me a bit regretful that the latter is that much more popular.
May 19, 2017 5:18 PM

May 2015
Of course, because everything that's new and gets a lot of praise is ALWAYS overrated...

smh

May 19, 2017 5:45 PM

Sep 2013
i don't understand how some shounen type with supernatural element (clannad-ano hana-kimi no na wa) can be compared to a full realistic seinen movie. But it's okay, we are on mal
While you shitpost about other taste, i watch or read stuff :D
May 19, 2017 5:54 PM
Jul 2018
This rating will inevitably go down very soon!. So let's wait :D

also I cant accept this the greatest shounen movie, lol.
removed-userMay 19, 2017 5:59 PM
May 19, 2017 7:00 PM
Aug 2015
Yeah, i give it a 7/10 as well..
A very enjoyable movie, but i could still find some things that seemed off.
renzosparkMay 19, 2017 7:07 PM
May 19, 2017 7:29 PM

May 2015
SkyDrop said:

Do you have a hate boner for this or something?

May 19, 2017 7:35 PM

Apr 2016
The movie was a mess... The characters are a mess, that excuse of a story was poorly executed, does it even need any explanation, probably not if you watched the movie.

Our "victim" is so fucking fake. The author tries to build empathy with her cuteness, but what else, her being excluded of that fake drama? It was a torture to watch that.

And our bully... omg never saw so much fake in one fucking character. Ever saw a bully who is physically weak? Me neither.

Heck, I used to bully so many people at school, and that's not how they treated me. They acted fucking nice because they didn't wanted to be bullied, but this guy is just being treated like shit and he does NOTHING about it. Is that supposed to be character development? Feeling guilty is one thing, but becoming such a loser without story to backup is just bullshit. On top of that, would you as a victim do nothing if you are being bullied? Wouldn't you fight back? I would've beaten the shit out of those plebs.

Did I mention all the red flags? Who saw the death of the grandma coming? What was going on through the authors mind when they give a character that contributes nothing to the main story an entire scene? He thought he could build some empathy and just kill named character over night, because why not. How obvious is this outcome?

Not to mention that "suki" scene. Cringe af, and if I as a non native speaker understand what's going on, how can someone with perfect Japanese not understand what she meant, forreal? Does that guy have autism or something?

The other characters were so useless and their personality just adapted to the scenes, just for the sake of forcing drama...

^this wall of text is a mess, the movie is even worse.

PS: Overrated is an understatement.
May 19, 2017 7:38 PM

May 2015
Cirno9 said:
The movie was a mess... The characters are a mess, that excuse of a story was poorly executed, does it even need any explanation, probably not if you watched the movie.

Our "victim" is so fucking fake. The author tries to build empathy with her cuteness, but what else, her being excluded of that fake drama? It was a torture to watch that.

And our bully... omg never saw so much fake in one fucking character. Ever saw a bully who is physically weak? Me neither.

Heck, I used to bully so many people at school, and that's not how they treated me. They acted fucking nice because they didn't wanted to be bullied, but this guy is just being treated like shit and he does NOTHING about it. Is that supposed to be character development? Feeling guilty is one thing, but becoming such a loser without story to backup is just bullshit. On top of that, would you as a victim do nothing if you are being bullied? Wouldn't you fight back? I would've beaten the shit out of those plebs.

Did I mention all the red flags? Who saw the death of the grandma coming? What was going on through the authors mind when they give a character that contributes nothing to the main story an entire scene? He thought he could build some empathy and just kill named character over night, because why not. How obvious is this outcome?

Not to mention that "suki" scene. Cringe af, and if I as a non native speaker understand what's going on, how can someone with perfect Japanese not understand what she meant, forreal? Does that guy have autism or something?

The other characters were so useless and their personality just adapted to the scenes, just for the sake of forcing drama...

You couldn't be more wrong.

May 19, 2017 8:23 PM

May 2016
This movie is better than Kimi No Na Wa at least.
May 19, 2017 8:33 PM

Oct 2013
Geez everytime an anime/movie is popular and a lot of people love it, there's always that guy being like "It's overrated" because he didn't like the anime/movie as much as the majority of people...

If tons of people loved it and rated it that high, then it's rated fairly, it's not because you, a single guy or a bunch of people, didn't like it as much as the others that it suddenly becomes overrated...
May 19, 2017 9:20 PM
Oct 2014
Takamura-sama said:
I mean it was a 7/10 for me. A really good anime, but I think it's slightly overrated.
It feels like Anohana but worse TO ME.
I liked the movie a lot, but you guys are acting as if this is as good as Clannad After story.

Can Someone tell me why they liked this movie so much? I don't really understand.

I was really impressed, but maybe expectations played into it for me. I haven't read the manga, but I saw on a kissanime forum someone say it's comparable to Kimi No Na Wa and I was like, "no fucking way, dude." And then I watched the movie and was just shocked by how heavy it is
It's a great movie for me because it manages to pull off such heavy scenes with realism. Don't get me wrong: there is plenty of intentional and heavy handed tear-jerking in the film. But it was nowhere near clannad's levels of melodrama. For me, I bought every part of it thanks to good voice acting and the brilliance of KyoAni in animating their character movement/expressions/gestures, etc. Everything there has purpose, characterizes, and it works - at least in my opinion.
For example, you might not catch it at first but
It's that sort of detail that makes the movie good. Damn, didn't mean to paragraph that shit but oh well. Thanks for the opportunity to talk about the movie haha I actually just saw it last night and I'm still thinking about it. My one thing with Koe no Katachi was that the middle-end portion was paced unevenly, lacking relief of any sort. It was back to back to back emotional scenes and it was draining - even painful - to watch. And I mean that in the sense I was an emotional fucking wreck during those parts, not that they were bad. I think a scene could be inserted in there that gives a character some new perspective or something. Comedic relief wouldn't work, but something needed to be there.
"The only thing I still write is a list of people I'll never forgive" - Hikigaya 8man
May 19, 2017 9:28 PM
Oct 2014
Kittens-kun said:
SkyDrop said:

Thank you for blessing me with a new word to fight off these "critics"
"The only thing I still write is a list of people I'll never forgive" - Hikigaya 8man
May 19, 2017 9:31 PM
Oct 2014
acheronrush said:
i don't understand how some shounen type with supernatural element (clannad-ano hana-kimi no na wa) can be compared to a full realistic seinen movie. But it's okay, we are on mal

MAL needs a like button for posts like these
May 19, 2017 9:41 PM

Apr 2016
@TriZen
Apparently you don't know how to use the quote button that's why I'll reply here to your salty comment on my profile:

"Build empathy with her cuteness? Your assumption is just so wrong. If the author really tried to build empathy in . a way just like you said, the must be some consequences in the story right? In reality? No"

?

"A bully must have a strong physically? I have seen bully who are weak physically but they torture people through psychological means. You seem to imply that you like being bully back then."

I never saw a weak bully and if some lightweight would've try to bully me physically I'd either beat him up or bully him back in other ways. I was an artist with words, always hit the right spot with my insults, even made a few people cry. Am I proud of it? No, definitely not and I apologized (years later) and even befriend with some of those guys. I'd lie if I would say it didn't feel great to feel superior to everyone, but you learn from your mistakes and stop. That's also the only thing the movie did right, your image goes downhill if you are a bully and you can't really recover from it without some effort.

"The bully in the movie didn't act? have think maybe he's just afraid to confront them? and in the movie have you not remembered that he tried to explain to the teacher that not only he that bullied her but he also pointed that his friend also bullied her?"

Grouping up against one person is bullshit and I never did that. I always enjoyed it to go against multiple people, it was more fun that way :^)

"and no your wall of tex is much much worse than the movie"

That's your subjective opinion, like mine on the movie, but I pointed out why I can't relate to it.

PS: By any chance, did you get bullied or are you just salty that you couldn't do something against it when it happened and you had to watch?
May 19, 2017 9:52 PM

Oct 2016
I think it's pretty cool. IMO one of the best animated movies to come out in the last few years, at the very least.
May 19, 2017 10:00 PM

May 2016
Cirno9 said:

1) What makes it easy to emphasize with heroine is her struggle and not the fact that she is cute. Since she is deaf, its really difficult to communicate with her, which results in her not understanding others perspective and vice versa. Since she doesn't understand what people are saying, she tends to assume that if they mad at her, its her fault which makes her apologize all the time which actually piss people off even more. Another thing is she doesn't take hints as to when others want to be alone and instead keeps trying to interact with them. Likewise, the other people don't know how hard it is to cope with the surroundings when they can't hear shit, after all they are kids and kids are known to be selfish. The MC ended up getting frustrated because he wanted to communicate properly with her but couldn't so he ended up bullying her.

2) Its obvious you and the Ishida have different mindsets but that doesn't make him fake. He saw being bullied as a sort of punishment for what he has done so it is understandable as to why he wouldn't fight back to all the bullying, and there are physically weak bullies, there is no requirement that says you need to be a brute. Some of the bullies that I known at high school was actually rather small and weak physically.

3) the scene where the Grandma dies didn't really feel all that significant, whether its intentional or not. They only dedicated a couple of seconds to it so its not really a big deal

4) Not that hard to believe that the MC has a bit of autism after years of isolation, making it difficult for him to pick out her lines.

May 19, 2017 10:23 PM

Jul 2012
This chinese cartoon changed my life. It gave me a life changing experience with the amazing visuals and I honestly think it is easily one of the top 10 anime I've seen. I'm surprised it wasn't listed so on WatchMojo. Pretty disappointed.

This is the best movie I've seen since Kimi no Na Wa.

It's one of the reasons I think that the medium of anime is so much better than the shallow garbage that is 3D movies.
May 19, 2017 10:33 PM
Jul 2018
Kittens-kun said:
SkyDrop said:

I read the manga tho and imo there is no shounen-ish feeling tho. But at least the good thing that it doesnt explicitly focus on romance genre.
Like Clannad s2, this movie rating will fall down (prob same as manga rating 🤔) but again, who really care about rating stuff?
May 20, 2017 2:23 AM

Feb 2014
Cirno9 said:

The guy pretty much hates himself and thinks he's the worst human being (in his own words) for what he did to her in the past, and even tried to kill himself because of it. Of course he wouldn't be able to imagine someone actually loving him, romantically or otherwise, let alone the victim of his crimes, of all people.
May 20, 2017 3:08 AM

Apr 2013
-Abyss_Walker- said:
Cirno9 said:

1) What makes it easy to emphasize with heroine is her struggle and not the fact that she is cute. Since she is deaf, its really difficult to communicate with her, which results in her not understanding others perspective and vice versa. Since she doesn't understand what people are saying, she tends to assume that if they mad at her, its her fault which makes her apologize all the time which actually piss people off even more. Another thing is she doesn't take hints as to when others want to be alone and instead keeps trying to interact with them. Likewise, the other people don't know how hard it is to cope with the surroundings when they can't hear shit, after all they are kids and kids are known to be selfish. The MC ended up getting frustrated because he wanted to communicate properly with her but couldn't so he ended up bullying her.

2) Its obvious you and the Ishida have different mindsets but that doesn't make him fake. He saw being bullied as a sort of punishment for what he has done so it is understandable as to why he wouldn't fight back to all the bullying, and there are physically weak bullies, there is no requirement that says you need to be a brute. Some of the bullies that I known at high school was actually rather small and weak physically.

3) the scene where the Grandma dies didn't really feel all that significant, whether its intentional or not. They only dedicated a couple of seconds to it so its not really a big deal

4) Not that hard to believe that the MC has a bit of autism after years of isolation, making it difficult for him to pick out her lines.

My thoughts exactly
May 20, 2017 4:00 AM

Apr 2015
SkyDrop said:

cough the percentage of 10s and 9s increased again cough

Therefore, sorry to disappoint you but not very soon. Though in the long run, its eventually going down, as with everything and I do expect a slightly heavier fall.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2017 4:03 AM

Apr 2015
Vhailor said:
Cirno9 said:

The guy pretty much hates himself and thinks he's the worst human being (in his own words) for what he did to her in the past, and even tried to kill himself because of it. Of course he wouldn't be able to imagine someone actually loving him, romantically or otherwise, let alone the victim of his crimes, of all people.

Couldn't phrase it any better. The guy is pretty much grateful for even being accepted as a human being by the one he bullied. What more could he ever hope for?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2017 4:12 AM

Apr 2012
CG-Silver said:
Vhailor said:

Couldn't phrase it any better. The guy is pretty much grateful for even being accepted as a human being by the one he bullied. What more could he ever hope for?

Yup, have to agree with this, I don't know how "Cirno9" came to his conclusion, must not have paid attention to the whole movie ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 20, 2017 5:52 AM

Jun 2016
I'm not sure. I wouldn't really call it overrated. Kimi no Na Wa is overrated though.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
May 20, 2017 5:55 AM

Nov 2016
I totally agree. Everyone overhyped it expecting something like "kimi no na wa" and i'm satisfied with it but I feel like there could have been more with the idea of the film and some of the characters like "kawai-chan" made me really mad lol..
I personally gave it a 7/10
May 20, 2017 6:28 AM

Mar 2017
I covered this anime in my blog and though almost the same as you.

Ppersonally, i think the movie is good, but there's something off on it.
It's time to play the Game folks!
May 20, 2017 7:15 AM

Nov 2013
When people think their opinion is fact..
May 20, 2017 7:49 AM

Jul 2016
I agree with you, I felt like they barely gave any time to the side characters so there was no way at all that i could feel for them the way i did when i read the manga, i guess its why it also felt a bit rushed...but tbh idk, maybe the reason why i didn't feel the movie very much is bc i knew everything that was gonna happen in it
May 20, 2017 7:50 AM

Mar 2012
Cirno9 said:
You wanna talk with an actual human being who can relate with that 'fake' character on a personal level? You got one right here.

Joined in on bullying a kid at my school for being 'different'? Check. Bullied them worse than anyone else? Check. Got in deep trouble while everyone else threw me under the bus? Check. Became antisocial during my teen years as a result? Check

But wait, there's more! The scene where all Shouya's friends turned on him in a time of need? Happened to me. The part where Shouya ends up becoming a victim of other bullies? Also happened to me. Shouya's reaction to all this? Pretty much the same as mine.

And while it didn't play out exactly like it did in this movie (I honestly have no idea how to contact that kid) the part where Shouya befriends a group of people who turned his life around for the better and helped him become a better person... also happened to me quite recently oddly enough. Huh.

tl;dr: It's fucking scary how much I relate to this movie and Shouya in particular. One of my best friends who I saw the movie with actually teared up in the cinema for very much the same reason. Calling it 'fake' just because it doesn't fall in line with your exact experiences in life is ignorant as hell.
May 20, 2017 8:16 AM
Dec 2016
People liking something =/= overrated. A lot of personal opinions come into play, although obviously if an anime is highly rated it means a lot of those personal opinions are in agreement.

In short, Koe no Katachi told a deeper story, basically, about bullying, peer pressure, how to live with your own flaws/mistakes, and suicide. But it has a bit more ambiguous motives behind each characters as to why they did what they did, although that might be because they are dealing more complex emotions and situations in general.

In comparison to say, Kimi no na wa, it told a much much simpler and mainstream story, but the story was more way more entertaining, especially for movie screen, and the characters had much clearer motives as to what they do, most likely because the story was simple and straightforward.

Clannad also told a very simple and sad love story, although it tried very hard to play with audience's emotions. Koe no katachi didn't really try to do that as much, but rather it tries tell you to walk on the main character's shoes and try to imagine how they feel. I didn't like Clannad that much honestly, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it is overrated. you might not like it as much as others, but it doesn't mean majority of the people don't.
WhitrianMay 20, 2017 8:24 AM
May 20, 2017 8:24 AM

Dec 2016
it was 10/10 for me because the anime Which gives a rare message about deaf problems in society ! and also I don't forget the enjoyment it was reallly great for me :/ !
May 20, 2017 8:29 AM

Jun 2014
When I see someone complain about something being overrated, I basically see it as them saying "I'm upset by the fact that so many people liked this thing that I don't like/didn't like as much." At the end of the day, who cares, if a lot of people liked it, so be it. It's ok to not like something that becomes super popular, but it's a waste of time to make this pointless thread (that hopefully will be locked soon).
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

May 20, 2017 8:30 AM

Oct 2010
Cirno9 said:

I don't recall a single scene where her cuteness played a role on making us look at her as a victim. Kawai is cute and looks innocent but she's manipulative and toxic as fuck, and people in this forum hate her a damn lot.

Cirno9 said:

The guy who bullied me in school was shorter and physically weaker than me.

Cirno9 said:

I feel tempted to dismiss your whole stance here and say that you are an asshole because you are annoying me on a personal level, but hey, I'll let it pass with a simple: if you don't know what a victim's mind can go through, don't talk out of your ass. Read SeibaaHomu's answer or my posts in the episode discussion thread.

Cirno9 said:
Did I mention all the red flags? Who saw the death of the grandma coming?

It's something that would indeed have had more impact with a few more scenes of interaction, but it was pretty clear what they tried to do and it was well-conveyed to fit that intention.

Cirno9 said:
What was going on through the authors mind when they give a character that contributes nothing to the main story an entire scene?

Nothing except verbalizing the issue Yuzuru has, serving as an emotional support in a moment of huge stress, and being an inspiration to move on and change. Also as a way to expose the emotional/weak side of a character who is constantly acting tough and confident as a mean of self-defense.

Cirno9 said:
He thought he could build some empathy and just kill named character over night, because why not. How obvious is this outcome?

Because grandma works as a trigger rather than a full fleshed character. I agree with you that there could have been more focus, though.

Also, not relevant, but *she (the director, mangaka and screenplay writer are all women).

Cirno9 said:

Expand on this.

Edit.- Whoops, sorry. I messed up a little with the quotes, since I was answering 15poundfish in the other thread.
jal90May 20, 2017 8:45 AM
May 20, 2017 8:48 AM

Nov 2015
Agree.
this anime is good but not a masterpiece ,i mean ano hana is better ,for me its 8/10 ,when death note get 8.7 and this one 9.16 we should discuss why ?!,..who said why ? its obvious we already reached the kawaii generation ..cute draw and animation with some over-feeling made 10/10 for some ppl to not say the majority ..
TheAdoMay 20, 2017 8:54 AM

May 20, 2017 9:20 AM

Oct 2014
There are many reasons. Firstly it being an adaptation of the ever loved manga who was "overrated" too back then. Secondly, it centers on a sensitive topic like disabled people and bully. And thirdly, KyoAni, nuff said.

Though, comparing a movie with an anime series like Clannad is unfair. They decided to pack an overall of the manga's contents into a 2 hour movie so it's natural that you may find it "lacking" in something. Then again, you should wait before labeling something as "overrated" since it's just recently out (though in reality it's been more than 3 months).

But in the end rating is just numbers so just enjoy your chinese cartoon like always, friend.
"Whenever you fail at something, always remember that you won't fail as much as Usagi Drop did."
May 20, 2017 9:51 AM
Apr 2014
After I saw this thread yesterday, I had a fight with my mind, thinking that this movie is just overrated. And then, a moment ago, I just rewatched it. I realized that I was just didn't understand a thing the time I first saw this movie.

The detail was too detailed for me to easily grasp the story. It was like me watching Nolan's movie, which the narrative is basically from the visual and small talk, and if you lost this small thing, then you wont be able to understand the story, you wont get the feel if you can't even get what's the writer wants to tell you.

The first time I watched it, I felt like I was kinda disappointed with most thing in it, but then, I was wrong. Just because there is a girl and a boy, there shouldn't be a love; there should be a story. I was hoping a romance thing happened, and it is a wrong thing to do. This movie is about Ishida's psychological problem and his connection between all character there, not Ishida and Nishimiya's romantic love story.

There might be some (in my opinion is 3) scenes where you feel that was not should be there, or cringey or something, but I think that doesn't even matter at the end. And as for the ending itself, I was just fascinated with the music that took my heart away, but that's all, the thing that's good is just the music, the ending sucks. But then I saw that once more, with more understanding of Ishida's feeling, well, frankly I almost cried watched that scene. And there are many thing that was different between the first time and the second time I watched that, and now I can say that this isn't overrated, just pure great thing to watch.

For those who still couldn't flee from this 'overrated' thought of this anime, then try to rewatch it. If still the same, or if you already understanded everything, but still think this anime is overrated, then, maybe this anime is just not your type. But this simply is what we like. Everyone has their own taste...
May 20, 2017 10:14 AM

Aug 2012
Want to know an overrated movie? Every Hollywood movie ever made and Kimi no na wa.
I mean Kimi no na wa was good but people act like its the second coming of Jesus.

Koe no katachi, most people who rate it low is because they try to compare it with the manga, as someone who work in the movie industry, you cannot put an entire book into a movie script and expect it to be 3 hours at minimum and still retain everything while making it good.
Its physically impossible, that is why the rest of the world understand that movie =//= book are two vastly different things.

The story telling is so massively different, the same is for manga, you cannot just take manga pictures and turn them into animation, it does not work like that everything has to be rewritten for movie, series format.

I for one am surprised they managed to make this movie so well made despite the manga being long enough for a TV series.
But most people who use MyAnimeList are Americans, and Americans have short attention span, hence why complex movies usually do not do very well over there.
Japan on the other hand is much like Europe, we like complex stories.

Looking at the movie alone, there are "plot" holes as people call it, but considering I never read the manga I do not really see it. If this is the standard of "plot" holes as people call it, then every movie has them. To expect perfection is the greatest ignorance among the English speaking community, there no such thing as perfection in anything, everything has flaws.

Having watched Hunter x Hunter, I will tell you one thing, having absolutely every single sub plot explained to you in over 50 episodes is the most boring thing I ever sat through, only to have the bad guy killed at the end for the silliest of reasons, we do not want that.
Yet I see the reviews, 70% of the reviewers seem to want that, you cannot have gold plating on your car and still expect to only pay 50k for it.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
- Plato
May 20, 2017 10:23 AM

Aug 2012
the1ado said:
Agree.
this anime is good but not a masterpiece ,i mean ano hana is better ,for me its 8/10 ,when death note get 8.7 and this one 9.16 we should discuss why ?!,..who said why ? its obvious we already reached the kawaii generation ..cute draw and animation with some over-feeling made 10/10 for some ppl to not say the majority ..

You looking at it wrong, we speaking like 3 vastly different culture areas, Japan, Europe and America.
A masterpiece is vastly different from America and Europe/Japan.

In Europe we think masterpieces are Lawrence of Arabia, War and Peace (Soviet film) and some others.
In Japan again its different, but the complex story telling still remain the same, Tokyo Story, Ghibli and this movie too was rated extremely well, better than Kimi no na wa in Japan and was more successful among older generation.

This movie is designed and made for Japanese audience, Asian if you want to stretch it but not for American audience.
Most Americans think Lawrence of Arabia is a boring movie, but we Europeans paid twice the cinema ticket just to watch it rerun in 4k on cinema.

To begin with, it touches more on social issues in Japan, such as suicide based on guilt and responsibility, and bullying which touches right home for me, in my country bullying was also an issue still is in some areas, but its made illegal now and punishable by law, police will come and get you no matter what age you are, its treated like murder today because of the consequences it does.

So expect high rating from the Japanese/Asian audience, and 6 - 7 from American audience, the culture difference people keep forgetting about it.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
- Plato
May 20, 2017 10:24 AM

Apr 2016
jal90 said:
Cirno9 said:

The guy who bullied me in school was shorter and physically weaker than me.

How could you let that happen? That sounds so irrational, nobody who is weaker than me dared to mess with me. If they tried I paid it back, simple as that.

jal90 said:
Cirno9 said:

I feel tempted to dismiss your whole stance here and say that you are an asshole because you are annoying me on a personal level, but hey, I'll let it pass with a simple: if you don't know what a victim's mind can go through, don't talk out of your ass. Read SeibaaHomu's answer or my posts in the episode discussion thread.

And what is going on through a victims mind? "I'll just let it happen, he'll stop anyway." Is this what was going through your mind? Seeking help is an option, not how I would've handled it, but it's the easiest way out. Had enough classmates who got bullied (not by me) who got out of the hell just by changing their image and some help from the teachers.

By the way, I bullied the "cool kids" at school back then. It's more fun to humiliate a group of "posers" who enjoy picking on the weak. I rarely picked on weaker people (physically and psychologically), only if they were asking for it. Even though I messed with everyone (when I felt like it), I wasn't unpopular at school, more like the opposite. People had lots of fun with me, but I don't have fun with a bunch of hypocrites surrounding me.

This sounds like I bullied people every day... I didn't, but I was an asshole and I am probably still one, that doesn't bother me at all, though.

jal90 said:
Cirno9 said:
Did I mention all the red flags? Who saw the death of the grandma coming?

It's something that would indeed have had more impact with a few more scenes of interaction, but it was pretty clear what they tried to do and it was well-conveyed to fit that intention.

Did you just agree that the entire scene was emotionally manipulative and a red flag? Well, that one is pretty much undeniable.

jal90 said:
Cirno9 said:
What was going on through the authors mind when they give a character that contributes nothing to the main story an entire scene?

Nothing except verbalizing the issue Yuzuru has, serving as an emotional support in a moment of huge stress, and being an inspiration to move on and change. Also as a way to expose the emotional/weak side of a character who is constantly acting tough and confident as a mean of self-defense.

Because that wasn't obvious as fuck right? My little cousin could've come to that conclusion after just seeing her for the first time in the bread scene :^)

jal90 said:
Cirno9 said:
He thought he could build some empathy and just kill named character over night, because why not. How obvious is this outcome?

Because grandma works as a trigger rather than a full fleshed character. I agree with you that there could have been more focus, though.

Yeah, but the grandmas personality would've been an issue. She was just the "grandma you wish you had"-grandma. Explained within 30 seconds and you couldn't push it any further with just her being nice and nothing else.

jal90 said:
Also, not relevant, but *she (the director, mangaka and screenplay writer are all women).

That is indeed not relevant, but thanks for clearing it up.

jal90 said:
Cirno9 said:

Expand on this.

Spare me from writing a wall of text. All characters were just painful to watch and I absolutely hated everyone.

jal90 said:
Edit.- Whoops, sorry. I messed up a little with the quotes, since I was answering 15poundfish in the other thread.

No need to apologize, happens to the best of us.

PS: This is just my subjective opinion! Can't you just stop being so salty and stop bitching that I didn't jump on the hype train. I just hated all the characters in the movie. Can't you just accept the fact that it isn't my cup of tea and move on?
May 20, 2017 11:52 AM

Oct 2010
@Cirno9 Sorry if I sound salty. I'm not bitching that you hate the movie and the characters, but I actually take a lot of issue with the stuff you say about bullied characters not fighting back, because that no matter if you don't intend it that way, is victim blaming, is the worst advice you can give to somebody in their situation and it's plain irresponsible. And I take issue because this narrative is too common and doesn't take into consideration the psychological state of the victim nor why is it so difficult for them to move on. Bullying causes among other things a huge lack of self-confidence and inferiority complex. You are asking people to solve problems that are far beyond their reach. So, I'm not taking issue with you being a bully at the time, but with your statement on the passivity of the victim.
May 20, 2017 12:08 PM

Apr 2011
Clannad was boring as fuck, didn't watch this movie yet but the manga was touching.
May 20, 2017 12:10 PM

Jul 2015
BAITO BAITO
Well it's really good tbh and I don't see it is overatted. Not a manga reader thou
May 20, 2017 12:12 PM

Nov 2014
If this movie is overrated then all the top 10 animes are overrated?? Its overrated for you, not for the mayority of people.
May 20, 2017 12:14 PM

Apr 2011
No-Look_Kuroko said:
acheronrush said:

MAL needs a like button for posts like these

except Koe no Katachi IS shounen. it was literally published in weekly shounen magazine.
May 20, 2017 1:45 PM

Mar 2015
just cause you thought it was a 7/10 doesn't mean everyone will agree with you buddy. personally I enjoyed this movie and gave it a 10/10 it talks about disabled people and their struggles and how families struggle with them too alongside talking abut bullying and lowkey a karma is a bitch concept there its very interesting and it was emotional therefore its not really overrated imo.

yeehaw
May 20, 2017 2:49 PM

Oct 2014
Cirno9 said:

I don't think you got the movie?
First, the main character was the type of bully that wasn't particularly strong, he was the class clown and bullied the girl to get on his classmates good side. He liked attention, he liked doing stupid stuff because he wanted to be accepted and appear cool to his classmates. It's got nothing to do with how strong you are phisically, it is about how many people you have supporting you. He may be phisically weak but he had many people's support, his friends, the girl that seated near him and the other classmates who didn't like the new girl. Then, after being confronted, he was accused as the sole bully by the teacher and the friends who supported stopped deeming him as cool and started bullying him, for the sake of appearences... He started getting bullied which changed his whole life.

I guess you've never been bullied, but being bullied affects your whole social life, I can vouch for it. In the main guy's case, he stopped being able to even look at other people and he started hating himself. He realised that what he had done was horrible and he became afraid of society. He got to the point where he almost commited suicide. And I find this very realistic because I know people who commited suicide because of continuous bullying for years, though I only met them right before they did it, and I get just how bad bullying can get.

My point is, just because the main characters' bullying experience is different than yours, it doesn't mean it's not realistic. You're mistaken if you think every single bullying case is the exact same as yours. People are different, have different ways to think, different ways to cope, different ways to live. You can't really use your example as a base for every other bullying case, because even bullies are not the exact same person in every single case.

Oh, and the grandma's death does contribute to the movie. It contributes to the reason's the main girl wanted to commit suicide. People don't commit suicide just because there's something that's bothering. They do it either to prove a point or because they've accumulated enough deppression to do so (words of my psychologist). In the heroine's case, it was the latter. And the grandma was a pillage that help support her. She went to sign language classes with the girl, when even the mother didn't, she must have been a great part of the girl's life, considering that her world revolved solely around her family and the friends she made after meeting the bully again. Someone with that much big importance in her life dying had, of course, a big impact on her. Which helped her deppression grow even more and therefore it did have some effect in the story.

I liked this movie so much because it made me think about every single thing that happened, why it happened and its effects on the main characters. You cannot just watch the movie without thinking a bit, because you won't get almost anything about the plot. That's why, for me, this movie was so interesting, specially because it's a topic that comes up in anyone's life at some point (bullying).

The reason you think the main girl is fake is probably because you don't understand what she's thinking most of the time. There's a wall there that doesn't let us understand her personality and herself as a person, and that is her deafness and the fact that the story was told from the guy's point of view. And probably also because you didn't make much effort to understand her actions because you cannot understand her situation. She was an isolated person that only had her family and that tried very hard to make friends and ended up not having any. Zero friends, hard to communicate with, that's already a starting point to hating oneself. As she started hating herself, she didn't blame the guy who bullied her for having done so, because she blamed herself for having interfere with the class and probably thinks that if she's bullied it's her own fault...

There are so many complex feelings to analyse, it isn't as simple as saying that it's fake or that it's not realistic. You first have to make an effort to try to understand the people involved in the story regardless of your own ideas of what bullying is. You have to understand that people are different than you and only then can you enjoy this movie to its fullest.

(sorry for the testament)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

258 by kaycooo »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nihon_no_tsuki - Sep 21, 2016

700 by Morragan »»
Apr 4, 5:29 PM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.