Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 17, 2017 12:16 PM

May 2016
Can i watch this without watching Saiyuuki Reload Gunlock and/or Saiyuuki Reload?
May 21, 2017 3:01 AM
Jan 2016
whoever24 said:
Can i watch this without watching Saiyuuki Reload Gunlock and/or Saiyuuki Reload?

yeah i have the same question
May 22, 2017 4:33 PM

Apr 2015
TouchYou said:
whoever24 said:

yeah i have the same question

From the looks of it it's going to adapt the third manga series, so I'd say no
May 30, 2017 5:20 PM

Dec 2010
whoever24 said:

Do not watch those they are horrible and have nothing to do with the actual story read the manga up until Saiyuki Reload Blast
Jun 6, 2017 6:06 AM

Mar 2017
whoever24 said:

I don't advise you to watch the old series because they're not faithful to the manga and they're so bad in quality so it would be better if you read the manga.
Jun 9, 2017 10:50 AM

Dec 2008
No one stopping you from it. You can watch everything without watching previous seasons.
Jul 4, 2017 2:17 PM
Sep 2016
Namu12 said:
No one stopping you from it. You can watch everything without watching previous seasons.

That would be dumb as hell, they are gonna miss a ton from the previous installments.
Jul 4, 2017 8:55 PM

Dec 2010
Jaa81102423 said:
Namu12 said:

That would be dumb as hell, they are gonna miss a ton from the previous installments.

It is a good idea to skip the previous seasons they are horrible anyway to catch up the best way to do it is read the manga to that point.
Jul 4, 2017 10:53 PM
Sep 2016
dgraymanfan said:
Jaa81102423 said:

It is a good idea to skip the previous seasons they are horrible anyway to catch up the best way to do it is read the manga to that point.

You either watch the previous seasons or read the manga.

Not doing neither but watching the upcoming one is what I said would be dumb as hell.
Jul 4, 2017 11:48 PM
Jul 2018
I need a summarized text of the story. I want to watch this but don't wanna spend time watching/reading previous seasons :/
Jul 5, 2017 4:23 AM

Dec 2015
@CLBGM The problem is the story is contained in two sentences.
"A high-rank buddhist monk and his half-yôkai disciples are travelling from China to India in order to prevent the resurrection of the ox demon king (Gyûmaô, you know), probably at the origin of a madness wave who infected most yôkai in China (because this is a country where, astonishingly, yôkai and humans were living "in peace"). On the road, they will meet numerous obstacles."

The thing is, the travel itself doesn't make the story progress (from what I know, the current manga has the heroes having only reached India). It's all the little things we learn or observe about the characters, their numerous reminiscences of the past, the situation (racism, fear, you know)...
The heroes are even tied by a shared faraway past (past lifes) without knowing it.

If you want to skip most things, just read the first few chapters to be introduced to the characters, read the last volume of the original manga (tome 9) and check the Burial and Gaiden OAVs. The five last volumes of RELOAD are also providing interesting development and of course you would miss a good chunk of what makes the series (notably all the chapters related to the heroes past)

But I really don't know what you will gain from this new animated show: it will almost not make the story progress (like at all, the manga has been in pause for so many years), it is just some sort of reminder that the franchise exists. There is really no incentive to watch this just to watch this (unless you're the kind of person who would sit in front of his TV and turn it on just because).

PS: know that for each episode actually coming from the manga, the past shows had twice more travels destinations created to fill airtime (included a full travel back to the East).
Jul 5, 2017 6:57 AM
Apr 2017
So from suggestions I will go for manga rather than watching Anime
Jul 5, 2017 7:00 AM

Sep 2016
who the hell is the target audience lol, this series is ANCIENT and not stand alone
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jul 5, 2017 8:41 AM

Apr 2016
OOOOOOOO So i have to watch ALL the prequels..... F***K I'll put this on hold for now...... (coming back in 3 months hahaha)

Jul 5, 2017 9:14 AM

Dec 2010
GangsterCat said:
who the hell is the target audience lol, this series is ANCIENT and not stand alone

I remember watching the original Saiyuki when I was 14 or 15 and it's an old favorite of mine there are plenty of people that would watch this anime.
Jul 5, 2017 9:34 AM
Apr 2016
I watched all the saiyuki series a long time ago and I don't remember shit. So no, I don't think you need to watch the other series.

But I would recommend watching the original (I remember it being pretty funny). Reload and Gunlock wasn't as good imo.
Jul 5, 2017 10:08 AM

Dec 2015
joshua10red said:
OOOOOOOO So i have to watch ALL the prequels..... F***K I'll put this on hold for now...... (coming back in 3 months hahaha)

No, most of them are essentially filling the airtime (including a full 25episodes line of backward travelling like I wrote). Check what I wrote again.
Plus the last TV show totally modified the second manga largest intrigue.

@Blood-Typemaster You are lying: you remember who the characters (including the "opponents" like Kôgaiji or the "mad scientist") are and what made them what they are.
Reload was funny if you like giraffe"s necks. xD

@SkyFullOfStars By now, anything from the "saga" requires knowledge from their past life (who's almost exclusively touched upon in the Gaiden manga, or the OAVs adapting it). I can't say if the OAVs are decent enough on their own (I only read it and saw the bits of Gaiden used in the second part of the first series)
Rei_IIIJul 5, 2017 1:23 PM
Jul 5, 2017 10:21 AM

Jul 2013
no you have to read the manga (but don't watch the anime, I can't get into them either)

what I'm wondering is do we need to watch Saiyuki Gaiden (prequel to Saiyuki) before Reload Blast comes out?
Jul 5, 2017 10:45 AM

Apr 2015
SkyFullOfStars said:
no you have to read the manga (but don't watch the anime, I can't get into them either)

what I'm wondering is do we need to watch Saiyuki Gaiden (prequel to Saiyuki) before Reload Blast comes out?

Totally need to

Blast has plenty of things that'll leave you scratching your head without Gaiden
Jul 5, 2017 1:12 PM
Apr 2016

@Blood-Typemaster You are lying: you remember who the characters (including the "opponents" like Kôgaiji or the "mad scientist") are and what made them what they are.
Reload was funny if you like giraffe"s necks. xD[/quote]

I kind of remember Kougaiji's motivations (not the mad scientist). But I don't think knowing their backstories are necessary to enjoy Blast.
Jul 6, 2017 12:56 AM

Oct 2010
dgraymanfan said:
whoever24 said:

Do not watch those they are horrible and have nothing to do with the actual story read the manga up until Saiyuki Reload Blast

Could someone elaborate are we talking just these two:

https://myanimelist.net/manga/509/Saiyuuki
https://myanimelist.net/manga/510/Saiyuuki_Reload

What about Saiyuuki Gaiden and Saiyuuki Ibun? are these in anyway integral to the main story and required reads too?.
Jul 6, 2017 2:16 AM

Jul 2014
AchromicFlame said:

What about Saiyuuki Gaiden and Saiyuuki Ibun? are these in anyway integral to the main story and required reads too?.

Yes, those two! Gaiden I would dearly recommend as it is handling the topic of the main characters previous life and is amazing. Saiyuki Gaiden do exist as an anime and isn't as horrible as the other Saiyuki animes (with the exception of Saiyuki Burial that was decent).

Saiyuki Ibun isn't necessary to read since it isn't really part of these boys story, but of Sanzo's master. But if you WANT to (and I can recommend reading what is out of it), read it when you feel like it. It's great!

...but that comes from the ancient guy that has been a fan of Saiyuki with 2004.
Jul 6, 2017 5:56 AM

Oct 2010
romanletters said:
AchromicFlame said:

Yes, those two! Gaiden I would dearly recommend as it is handling the topic of the main characters previous life and is amazing. Saiyuki Gaiden do exist as an anime and isn't as horrible as the other Saiyuki animes (with the exception of Saiyuki Burial that was decent).

Saiyuki Ibun isn't necessary to read since it isn't really part of these boys story, but of Sanzo's master. But if you WANT to (and I can recommend reading what is out of it), read it when you feel like it. It's great!

...but that comes from the ancient guy that has been a fan of Saiyuki with 2004.

Thanks for the clearing that up, will give Gaiden a read too just glad I don't have to watch 100+ episodes/OVA's to watch Blast.
Jul 6, 2017 7:10 AM

Jul 2014
AchromicFlame said:
Thanks for the clearing that up, will give Gaiden a read too just glad I don't have to watch 100+ episodes/OVA's to watch Blast.

Watching Gaiden isn't as painful as the first Saiyuki series, but reading it is WAY more pleasant anyway. And reading gives a lot more in connecting with the characters. Enjoy your reading and enjoy watching Minekura-sensei develop her art along the way!
Jul 6, 2017 10:14 PM

Sep 2008
GangsterCat said:

laughing at it being ancient but i mean it's true. although i'm a huge fan still, idk what to do with this. probably will watch it because i never want it to die.
Jul 7, 2017 1:03 AM

Sep 2015
GangsterCat said:

Probably the over 20 year olds that have been fans of the series since its inception. It's still popular regardless of how many times the manga went on hiatus. Even without the anime the merch sales in Japan have never stopped. Besides the anime and manga there are also novels, radio and CD dramas, and stage musicals. While it may seem strange to people here on MAL, you have to remember that things are often different in Japan. Saiyuki had a cult status for a while now.

Jul 7, 2017 11:12 PM

Jan 2015
Im watching previous seasons right now. already completed one, 2 more to go >_< Was exciting to find a series I NEVER HEARD about before and it having 100 eps is pretty cool. The characters are very interesting and their backstories are amazing. So those who are planning to jump into the series i guess its not a bad thing to do if you have time.
Jul 8, 2017 12:50 PM

Nov 2009
Imo, you should be more or less fine without watching the previous installments provided you get yourself thoroughly spoiled about the major happenings that've taken place until this season. You can do without knowing who the hell, say, Homura was, but at the very least, you need to know the main characters' backgrounds (like, for example, what Gojou is, what Hakai can turn into, who Son Gokuu is, why he's so attached to Sanzou, etc) and what their previous incarnations were.

I remember the first season of Saiyuuki being a thing, but then it went downhill and when the third season came around, most people (me included) were terribly disappointed by it. I imagine it will be even harder to get through the later seasons now when quality of animation is visibly higher and matters more than when I watched it back in the day some 10+ years ago.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jul 26, 2017 12:13 AM

Mar 2010
dgraymanfan said:
whoever24 said:

You are wrong , I've watched all the prequels before this one , and I have to say some part of them are very connected despite there are several episodes are just mere fillers.

To OP , the answer is no.
You have to watch the OVA first to be exact, the one which is saiyuki gaiden.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 31, 2017 10:02 PM

Apr 2014
From what I can tell, the sequels to Gensomaden Saiyuuki are pretty pointless - just more of the same. Would it be okay to go straight from that into this, skipping Reload and Gunlock?
Sep 21, 2019 6:25 AM

Oct 2008
I skipped Gensomaden Saiyuuki and watched everything else, I am happy I did.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Saiyuuki Reload Blast Episode 8 Discussion

Whoahoho - Aug 23, 2017

10 by Strukla »»
Apr 16, 2019 8:25 PM

Poll: » Saiyuuki Reload Blast Episode 12 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 20, 2017

22 by Orochimaru9 »»
Oct 25, 2018 12:06 PM

Poll: » Saiyuuki Reload Blast Episode 4 Discussion

tsubasalover - Jul 26, 2017

20 by Rei_III »»
May 25, 2018 7:33 AM

Poll: » Saiyuuki Reload Blast Episode 11 Discussion

Wazefock - Sep 13, 2017

7 by Ulquiorra »»
May 15, 2018 2:31 AM

Poll: » Saiyuuki Reload Blast Episode 10 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 6, 2017

8 by Ulquiorra »»
May 14, 2018 1:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.