Forum Settings
Forums

What is the most forgotten popular show of the past ten years, and why?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 4, 2017 1:48 PM

Jan 2009
Impala said:
j0x said:
i think Dennou Coil is high on the list

I wasn't here when Dennou Coil was released (was MAL even a thing in 2007?!) but I doubt it's super popular back then considering it's aired at the same time with more well-known titles like Death Note, Code Geass, and TTGL. On the topic, my pick would be Angel Beats. Crazy popular. It was a default anime to recommend for anyone who looked for tearjerker show after Clannad. Now it's rarely mentioned.

i was not here on MAL back when it aired too but on the internet forums and blogs it looks like Dennou Coil is so popular at least on none japanese fans
May 4, 2017 5:18 PM

Aug 2014
Drackx said:

DxD, I have not read the light novel but a friend says that there is enough material to encourage (if they do) and since it seems that their line of cards is quite popular, most likely continue to get more season.

Maybe because DxD wasnt generic MC with harem genre?
Come to think of it most of harem genre will likely start with MC raising flag either accidentally or for plot development and on top of it, Dense as hell.
Put it Nisekoi for example, after season 2 released and anime ended i rarely seen it being mentione. Gahd i cant forget how dense Raku is and in the end ,the ending was expected with alot of wasted character+filler which is unsatisfying.
Same goes to Kami no mi, although he's not dense.
I am not sure if Yamadakun and the seven witches included in harem but in the story the girls he hang up with also had their partner instead of yamadakun himself which make even though he won't choose the harem path, He still pick Shiraishi regardless other girls feelings towards him.

While the other harem MC ended up one sided romance, Issei Himself already choose the harem path! That's not something you see everyday.
May 4, 2017 5:38 PM

Mar 2015
Xaelath said:
- Baka test to Shoukanju, LN already finished yet we didn't have any infos about 3rd season.

lol, baka to test is outdated... now everyone is demand for grand blue adaptation.. (same author btw)...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 4, 2017 6:42 PM

Sep 2011
Yu Yu Hakusho , because it was eclipsed by hunter x hunter at that time...
May 4, 2017 8:47 PM

Aug 2014
Kuma said:
Xaelath said:
- Baka test to Shoukanju, LN already finished yet we didn't have any infos about 3rd season.

lol, baka to test is outdated... now everyone is demand for grand blue adaptation.. (same author btw)...

This one https://myanimelist.net/manga/70345/Grand_Blue ?
I never read the manga. in fact this is first time someone mention it i almost though its Grand Blue Fantasy.

So correct me if i wasnt wrong outdated stuff tend to forgotten and wont be adapted anymore?
May 4, 2017 9:20 PM

Jul 2015
Haruhi Suzumiya was such a big thing back then but I barely hear people talk about it nowadays. I don't even think never anime fans know about it.

Bleach went from big 3 popularity to just another shonen in the ever growing sea.

I don't know if D gray man was that popular but I think everyone forgot it exists. The new season didn't do much for it either. Same with Ao no exorcist.

Countless seasonal animes that only were popular during the season they aired.

May 5, 2017 12:41 AM

May 2015
Kaiba, without a doubt. I can't believe it didn't gain the same cult of SEL. It's more accessible, prettier, and better in every way among the 'thinking man's anime'.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 5, 2017 1:39 AM

Mar 2015
Xaelath said:
Kuma said:

This one https://myanimelist.net/manga/70345/Grand_Blue ?
I never read the manga. in fact this is first time someone mention it i almost though its Grand Blue Fantasy.

So correct me if i wasnt wrong outdated stuff tend to forgotten and wont be adapted anymore?

yes... they are hot stuff now...

well, it doesn't have chance to get new adience even more sequel being made, because the medium target still same so as long it's not old enough to gain new fanbase, i doubt so...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 5, 2017 5:13 AM

Nov 2016
I dunno, maybe Monster. It's #43 on popularity on MAL but people never talk about it unless there is a discussion about psychopaths or smart characters.
May 5, 2017 2:15 PM

Dec 2008
Sjo said:
most likely haruhi. the hype is gone and there is only a cult following nowadays. though it will always be one of the best in my heart (specifically that damn beautiful movie)

You said everything that was on my mind. Also Haruhi was the anime that made me a fan of Tomokazu Sugita.
May 5, 2017 2:22 PM

Oct 2015
ChrnoTodd said:
Sjo said:
most likely haruhi. the hype is gone and there is only a cult following nowadays. though it will always be one of the best in my heart (specifically that damn beautiful movie)

You said everything that was on my mind. Also Haruhi was the anime that made me a fan of Tomokazu Sugita.

ill be perfectly honest, i prefer the dub on this one. crispin freeman and michelle ruff are perfect in these roles. and even bosch fits well as a sleazy, mysterious youth
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
May 5, 2017 2:28 PM

Aug 2016
Katekyo Hitman Reborn... No one talks about it anymore :/

“If you’re the king that rules the court, I’ll have to defeat you, and I’ll be the last one standing!”
May 5, 2017 2:36 PM
Feb 2017
Rarely spoken of but am sure will spark memories:

Inuyasha
May 5, 2017 2:41 PM

Apr 2017
Highschool of the dead top harem rarely mentioned
May 5, 2017 2:48 PM

Jun 2012
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, that series was a cultural phenomenon among weebs back in the day, The fucking OP and dance were everywhere. I've never seen an episode of it in my entire life but I could probably name the entire cast and list some of the biggest plot twists on the spot if I had to. I guess Lucky Star also counts?

Among shonen it's definitely Soul Eater. It was one of the most popular series in the west back in 09-2010 but it fell off hard after it's memetic climax. I'm sure a remake would reignite some interest but I doubt the series is even relevant enough to even warrant one.
May 5, 2017 2:50 PM

Jul 2009
Nodame Cantabile! Back then I just remember how everybody was hyped about it. It was even very high on the MAL top 100 (If I remember correctly even at top 20). Now it's slowly fading away and they animators didn't even make the Opera (Season 4). It's really sad
May 5, 2017 3:02 PM
Sep 2013
Maybe SoRa No WoTo, Shigofumi, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Aria.
May 5, 2017 3:04 PM
Nov 2016
Hmm...
Highschool of the Dead
Ouran Highschool Host Club
Cardcaptor Sakura (There's another season coming so it has been talked about lately. But not much before then.)
Vampire Knight
Fruits Basket
Clannad
Angel Beats
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
Chobits
Highschool DxD
Lucky Star
Mirai Nikki
Guilty Crown
Steins;Gate
Kaichou Wa Maid-sama!
Kimi ni Todoke
Sakurasou No Pet Na Kanojo

I got carried away with this...xD
There's probably a few that probably wasn't exactly popular but anything by Key and CLAMP seemed to have been forgotten though.
May 5, 2017 3:13 PM
Jan 2017
"Nana" of course... actually about 11 years now...

fantosh_flakMay 5, 2017 3:19 PM
May 5, 2017 3:19 PM

Nov 2016
I'll go with Kimi no Todoke, I'm just about a few months on MAl, but I think I've never seen it mentioned in a thread.

Some other choices are Isshukan Friends, Death Parade and Plastic Memories.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 5, 2017 3:56 PM

Jul 2013
I think Hetalia deserves a mention too. Back in the time (2009-2013), it was a hit series between the fujoshis. There were lots of fanarts, fanfictions, cosplays, AMVs and stuff like that of Hetalia. All the people talked about Hetalia like if it was the second coming of Christ. In DeviantArt, it was practically everywhere.
Now, except few exceptions, I rarely seen people talking about the series. It's like if the fandom suddenly went extinct.
May 5, 2017 4:31 PM

Apr 2016
Bleach fans pretty much disappeared when the anime ended after being a flagship series of Shonen Jump for quite some time. it got a really raw deal unfortunately.
May 5, 2017 4:33 PM
May 2012
tr1ckst3r said:
Maybe Parasyte and Overlord? It's quite popular with it's Madhouse hype and people barely talk about it anymore these days.

Overlord getting a second season, will be epic! WHOOP WHOOP.

May 5, 2017 5:04 PM
May 2017
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko; Eden of the east; darker than black; MM!; Xxxholic; angelic layer; Tsubasa reservoir chronicles; papakiki; spice and wolf; wolfs rain; school rumble; Chobits; princess tutu; Mawaru Penguindrum; guilty crown
May 5, 2017 5:09 PM

Apr 2012
Kaichou wa Maid-sama was hugely popular when it came out, but people barely seem to remember it nowadays…
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 5, 2017 5:52 PM

Jun 2009
Umineko, Jigoku Shoujo, Higashi no Eden, Vampire Knight, School Days, Lucky Star, Higurashi, Darker Than Black ... There is probably more but these are from my list.

I miss the good old days of 2009/2010 when these were everyone's 'must watch'. D; Like Elfen Lied was everyone's first ''''edgy'''' anime, there wasn't any Tokyo Ghoul or Mirai Nikki bs.
May 5, 2017 6:09 PM

Nov 2011
Oh Goddess Haruhi when will you bless us with a 3rd season or a movie? :(

Also the old KyoAni golden shows like Lucky Star and Nichijou. Of course the latter is being remembered by the meme community.
May 5, 2017 6:54 PM

Mar 2015
gr8_nonsense said:

how about eldlive? was anime not succesful? same author btw...
May 5, 2017 7:18 PM

Jul 2015
Illyricus said:
I think Hetalia deserves a mention too. Back in the time (2009-2013), it was a hit series between the fujoshis. There were lots of fanarts, fanfictions, cosplays, AMVs and stuff like that of Hetalia. All the people talked about Hetalia like if it was the second coming of Christ. In DeviantArt, it was practically everywhere.
Now, except few exceptions, I rarely seen people talking about the series. It's like if the fandom suddenly went extinct.

I forgot how massive Hetalia was during that time period, I think it was at Aot levels of popularity. It scares me a little just remembering those days. lol
May 5, 2017 7:26 PM

Aug 2014
TheOfficialEmma said:
Hmm...
Highschool of the Dead
Ouran Highschool Host Club
Cardcaptor Sakura (There's another season coming so it has been talked about lately. But not much before then.)
Vampire Knight
Fruits Basket
Clannad
Angel Beats
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
Chobits
Highschool DxD
Lucky Star
Mirai Nikki
Guilty Crown
Steins;Gate
Kaichou Wa Maid-sama!
Kimi ni Todoke
Sakurasou No Pet Na Kanojo

I got carried away with this...xD
There's probably a few that probably wasn't exactly popular but anything by Key and CLAMP seemed to have been forgotten though.

Some of the list already had their ending in anime/manga/LN , so it's kinda obvious If its less mentioned.
Guilty Crown,Sakurasou..
Not sure about other steins was normally mentioned if there's time travel dramas, mirai Nikki rarely mentioned but one of the characters always mentioned, DxD is still popular they even got 4th season for harem/ecchi genre which is fascinating
May 5, 2017 7:45 PM

May 2015
I still remember back in the 90s how Initial D was huge craze in Japan. Skylines, Sileightys, 86s, and Sylvias everywhere O.O. I'm not sure if it's still as huge as it was back then...

Anyway, popular anime that became forgotten in the past 10 years? Orange? I know it was pretty well known during the season, but it's been pretty quiet after it finished...
May 5, 2017 8:34 PM
Jul 2018
Zetman!??
Well not sure if it was popular.
May 5, 2017 9:23 PM

May 2015
I'd say maybe read or die and karas since they were pretty high at the time they came out but are more cult now

there's also other cases where it was a pretty popular seasonal like regios, blassreiter, or brynhilder
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
May 5, 2017 9:25 PM

Nov 2014
*insert list my favorite anime here*

May 5, 2017 9:30 PM

Oct 2016
Drackx said:
Xaelath said:

Season 3 was mentioned by the Author himeself a month ago
http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/03/13/a-certain-magical-index-creator-gives-update-on-season-3/
Also recently theres a new android game released and spin-off for the novel and manga
We got Accelrator manga and Drill-chan.

Although the anime seems forgotten the Manga keep updating each year that also includes the upcoming NT18

I thought the third season was just a rumor

Wow season 3! Looks like I discovered something interesting by reading this thread :>

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

May 5, 2017 9:31 PM

Mar 2017
Sterps said:
Maybe Suzumiya Haruhi? No clue, but I want a season 3.

Completely agree with you on this man, considering it's popularity back in it's heyday. Now it's all but a relic of the past. Even the Light Novel has been put on hiatus ever since 2011.
It's time to play the Game folks!
May 5, 2017 10:33 PM

Apr 2013
It's really such a shame what happened with the Haruhi novels orz

OT, I actually think most anime tends to be forgotten within a year. I mean do you hear people talking about Dagashi Kashi or Kiznaiver for example? Even Erased and Re:Zero arent mentioned that much on general forums. I notice this with newer anime

but from some older ones.... Maybe K-on, Lucky Star, Elfen Lied, Clannad? I remember back in 2011 when I started watching anime, these were definitely considered "must watch" anime but now you dont hear so much
May 5, 2017 10:44 PM

Dec 2016
I think Ouran Highschool Host Club is one of them and Maid Sama i think
May 6, 2017 12:48 AM

Aug 2016
Kuma said:
gr8_nonsense said:

how about eldlive? was anime not succesful? same author btw...

Yeah I've seen a lot of people who watched Reborn in Eldlive's comments, but Eldlive is just not good enough. It's too childish for most of people. And giving it just 12 eps was bad idea, because as with Reborn, start is boring and bad. But current arc of Eldlive's is rather good and it gets better with almost every chapter.

“If you’re the king that rules the court, I’ll have to defeat you, and I’ll be the last one standing!”
May 6, 2017 1:31 AM
Jan 2017
I'd probbably say
K-on
Haruhi suzumiya series
Hyouka

K-on can have its third season from the Wakaba Girls and the Collage plot, it will probably not happen because KyoAni

Haruhi... The novels has been in hiatus its hasn't release a new volume since 2011 so
season 3 probably happen, I still have hopes tho this anime is a phenomenon to the anime comunity

IDK about hyouka if its popular or not but after that unsatisfying ending it needs a sequel... I heard there's a new volume released last November, I hope they'll continue it and get animated
May 6, 2017 4:28 AM
Nov 2014
I actually have no reason why... But they just popped up in my head when I saw this post flying by...

K-On, Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi
May 6, 2017 6:15 AM
Jul 2018
Okay, so I'm watching D.Gray-man currently and it never got the real big hype (at least here where I live) like the other long runner shounens like Naruto etc ... there are just cosplayers at cons sometimes and I really wonder why? Will it get worse? I like it and the prota so far. ^^"
May 6, 2017 7:19 AM

Oct 2011
Hmm, I feel like shows such as Highschool of the Dead, Haruhi Suzumiya, Vampire Knight, Clannad, Fruits Basket, Lucky Star and Kaichou Wa Maid-sama used to be the shit a few years ago. Lately I've been meeting more and more people who don't know these franchises.

Macross and especially Frontier seem to become also more unknown nowadays. I know they had a sequel recently, but I meet a lot of people who don't know the franchise or are unaware of the fact that their were Macross shows prior to Delta, while I had the feeling this franchise was one a lot of people had at least heard of.
I mean, back in 2010 there were so many people who know Frontier, only for that 'Nyan, nyan, nyan, nyan, ni hao nyan. Gorgeous, delicious, deculture!' song of Ranka.

Edit: Also, some series that ppl used to hype way more about around 2010 (at least in my country/community) were Katekyo Hitman Reborn, D.Grayman (yes I know it had a sequel, but I saw so little people hyping over it) and Pandora Hearts (apparently this one was crazily popular in specific countries, so yeah).

May 6, 2017 7:22 AM

Oct 2013
Cromartie Highschool maybe? I remember when it was talked about heaps on forums and image boards saying it's the funniest anime at the time, friends always hyped it up at school too. Don't see it mentioned much these days guess there's not really much to discuss really.
May 6, 2017 8:56 AM

May 2010
SapereAude said:
Rarely spoken of but am sure will spark memories:

Inuyasha
Sad but true. That used to be very popular but I never hear about it anymore. I still listen to the music pretty often and it's in my top 5.

MAR is a series that was popular enough to get on American TV, but most people literally don't know what it is now.
"My only agenda is to eviscerate any who might try to rule over and control me"- Sousuke Aizen

"Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life... but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it"- Orochimaru

"All men are not created equal... both in birth and in upbringing, in sheer scope of ability, every human is inherently different"- Charles zi Britannia

We are the Contra Mundi. We serve the great inimical Goddess who in her own time will destroy the world. Tremble, reprobates, in fear of her pitiless gaze.
May 6, 2017 9:08 AM

Aug 2016
Ergo Proxy, awesome story visuals and music but I've never heard people talk about it! Even though it was done by Manglobe... RIP In Peace
May 6, 2017 3:03 PM

Oct 2016
Definitely Death Note. People only talk about SAO and AoT
May 6, 2017 3:29 PM

Aug 2012
D. Gray-Man, I would say. It was quite popular between 2005-2009. After the anime ended and the hiatus started to get worse, I think people forgot it a lot.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
May 6, 2017 4:06 PM

Dec 2015
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and maybe...Hitman Reborn.
May 6, 2017 4:13 PM

Jan 2014
CodeBlazeFate said:
Vampire Knight. I mean, who remembers it? It's not even watched much anymore in comparison parison to say, Haruhi, Tokyo Ghoul, Parasyte, or Gurren Lagann, which still don't come near the top of the decades stull most watched anime like Code Geass, Sword Art Online, or Death Note.

No one talks about VK anymore and given what is said about it, I think I dodged a bullet by not watching it yet.

Nobody talks about it because nobody wants to remember that shit i mean i wish i could erase that shit from my memory but sadly i can't bleach my brain.
It's legit a worse story than Twilight lol.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

64 by LostSpectre »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 24

32 by Dauphine »»
5 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 1 hour ago

8 by mizukasa »»
6 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

3 by LostSpectre »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

63 by EpicO4 »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.