Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 10, 2008 9:35 AM

Feb 2008
Well, what do you think of this story ladies and gentlemen?
3/10/2008
Kentucky Representative Tim Couch filed a bill this week to make anonymous posting online illegal.

The bill would require anyone who contributes to a website to register their real name, address and e-mail address with that site.

Their full name would be used anytime a comment is posted.

If the bill becomes law, the website operator would have to pay if someone was allowed to post anonymously on their site. The fine would be five-hundred dollars for a first offense and one-thousand dollars for each offense after that.

Representative Couch says he filed the bill in hopes of cutting down on online bullying. He says that has especially been a problem in his Eastern Kentucky district.

Action News 36 asked people what they thought about the bill.

Some said they felt it was a violation of First Amendment rights. Others say it is a good tool toward eliminating online harassment.

Represntative Couch says enforcing this bill if it became law would be a challenge.

http://www.wtvq.com/content/midatlantic/tvq/video.apx.-content-articles-TVQ-2008-03-05-0011.html

I can't believe that some politicians would go so far. So, if this thing happens...looks like we'll have to start using our real names instead of our user names or MAL will have to start paying some pretty hefty fines for incompliance.

Personally I find this kind of legislation offensive. If someone is being bullied online...then they should get offline...or learn to be more "anonymous" than they are. And that's on forums such as ours an any others. I can't fathom people getting so upset over some words randomly posted by someone else in some random location...taking those words seriously is the fault of the reader and not the writer. Come one..forums are pretty much meant to start controversies and flame wars...though I suppose too much flaming isn't constructive...but that's besides the point.

What are everyone elses opinions here on this?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 10, 2008 9:38 AM

Sep 2007
I laugh. Anonymous won't be defeated.
Mar 10, 2008 9:54 AM

Oct 2006
It'll never fly, and it shouldn't. I'm all for making people more responsible for what they do online, but this "solution" is just absurd. I mean, how are you even supposed to verify that a person is using their real name and address? It's impossible.
Mar 10, 2008 9:57 AM

Oct 2007
I'm pretty sure people on the internet would find ways to get around this stuff. Anonymous can be pretty resourcefull :P Useless bill/law/whatever IMO...

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Mar 10, 2008 10:06 AM

May 2007
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm not worried. Anonymous will just buy servers in Tahiti (or somewhere) where the bill can't touch them. Because if this thing passes, they can only enforce it in America :D And the interwebs extends much further than that. (This representative is a moron!)
Mar 10, 2008 10:08 AM

Feb 2008
We all know it's useless...and probably won't pass because of it's absuridty and drastic lack of enforcement. But just the thought of it...the idea that politicians want to try and control even this area is quite offensive. Just wait until they tax the internet...and then try to clamp down on what's said due to some pathetic PC reason they come up with.

We all know anonymous will prevail, anonymous always does...but this attack against us is still pathetic...it's like a dying soldier trying to get one last strike at the enemy that struck him down.
Mar 10, 2008 10:09 AM

Mar 2005
actually it's not hard to track down the ISP, location, and information of any individual anonymous poster. doing it for the entire internet though (especially for domains and servers not in the US) is not gonna happen.
Mar 10, 2008 10:10 AM

May 2007
anti-lulz.
tim couch is the real troll. o:
Mar 10, 2008 10:16 AM

Feb 2008
Tim Couch is certainly a troll along with the thousands of trolls he'll have to higher in order to enforce this garbage =P.

I demand IP blockers and other digital masking devices for my posting freedom enjoyment ^^.
Mar 10, 2008 10:17 AM

Oct 2007
The First Amendment, as far as I recall, does not guarantee a person the right to speak anonymously. Only the right to say whatever he or she wishes (though limited in some cases for the general good).

The curious thing about the bill is the fact that even the representative who proprosed it said it would be hard to enforce...why propose something that's unenforcable (except to get votes in the next election without actually getting anything accomplished)?

Also...is that Tim Couch, the same Tim Couch who was drafted to play QB for the Cleveland Browns sometime in the late 90s?
Mar 10, 2008 10:19 AM

Aug 2006
jbreten said:
The First Amendment, as far as I recall, does not guarantee a person the right to speak anonymously. Only the right to say whatever he or she wishes (though limited in some cases for the general good).

The curious thing about the bill is the fact that even the representative who proprosed it said it would be hard to enforce...why propose something that's unenforcable (except to get votes in the next election without actually getting anything accomplished)?

Also...is that Tim Couch, the same Tim Couch who was drafted to play QB for the Cleveland Browns sometime in the late 90s?

No,
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/legislator/H090.htm
Mar 10, 2008 10:34 AM

May 2007
Wow. I'm kind of at a loss as to the point of his putting in effort towards something that would never pass. If someone actually cares what some 47 year old guy still living in his mom's basement has to say about them over the internet, they should probably get offline. And if you need to concentrate on bullying, focus about stuff that occurs in the real world, not the cyber one.
Mar 10, 2008 10:35 AM

Jul 2007
what ever happened to putting urself out of harms way on the internet by not giving out personal information... like your full name?

Mar 10, 2008 10:48 AM

Dec 2007
Only thing i have to say about this: Try us and fail.
Mar 10, 2008 10:50 AM

Feb 2008
Frequencity said:
what ever happened to putting urself out of harms way on the internet by not giving out personal information... like your full name?

Apparently Mr. Tim Couch doesn't know true internet etiquette and protective measures...and his IT consultants are complete morons to advise him about this..unless of course it's all about "looking good" and getting votes...in which case of course it's a great plan...but a meaningless gesture.

Little boys and girls, here are the rules of the internet:

1. DO NOT GIVE OUT PERSONAL INFORMATION OF ANY KIND!

2. WHAT'S SAID ON THE INTERNET IS ALL GARBAGE AND WORTHLESS NONSNESE!

3. TO BELIEVE THE OPINION OF SOMEONE ELSE ABOUT YOU IS PATHETIC!!

4. A BUNCH OF OTHER STUPID COMMON-SENSE RULES THAT WILL RUIN MY BRAINS FUNCTIONING POWER IF I HAVE TO LIST THEM!
Mar 10, 2008 10:50 AM

Apr 2007
lol, fuck that noise
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 10, 2008 11:47 AM

May 2007
u no dis will make anon post pix of him doing furry on the internets. or they will *** his house.

*** ftw.
Mar 10, 2008 12:06 PM

Nov 2007
Shiranai said:

l0l0l Shira wins.

So should I just change my screen name to Ryan right now? Will Xinil be fined if I keep calling myself Xjellocross? Oh dear, I fear this bill. /sarcasm

lolwut screw that. This thing isn't taking off the ground, online bullying isn't that big a deal. The internets may be serious business but only little 10 year olds would let that get to them.

Anayu said:
Frequencity said:

Apparently Mr. Tim Couch doesn't know true internet etiquette and protective measures...and his IT consultants are complete morons to advise him about this..unless of course it's all about "looking good" and getting votes...in which case of course it's a great plan...but a meaningless gesture.

4. A BUNCH OF OTHER STUPID COMMON-SENSE RULES THAT WILL RUIN MY BRAINS FUNCTIONING POWER IF I HAVE TO LIST THEM!

Those rules are lies, here are the real ones:
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?action=view&t=pic&id=1431&pid=19701
Mar 10, 2008 12:11 PM

Dec 2007
Xjellocross said:
lolwut screw that. This thing isn't taking off the ground, online bullying isn't that big a deal. The internets may be serious business but only little 10 year olds would let that get to them.

Make me think though. My first thought would be to make internet like, 16+, but on the other hand i was on the net when i was 10 and never had any trouble. Pretty much nobody of that age had trouble back then.

I guess people changed.
Mar 10, 2008 12:12 PM

May 2007
Xjellocross said:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=9799&show=20#msg421550
for the ones who can't read. repeat them 9001 times.
Mar 10, 2008 12:24 PM

Nov 2007
Chavez said:
Xjellocross said:

Make me think though. My first thought would be to make internet like, 16+, but on the other hand i was on the net when i was 10 and never had any trouble. Pretty much nobody of that age had trouble back then.

I guess people changed.

I don't think people have changed, I just think more fucking retarded people have decided the internet is a good output for their stupidity. I've been using the internet since I was 9, so about 7 years now. There have always been trolls and flamers since then just I think they've increased as of late.
Mar 10, 2008 12:33 PM

Feb 2008
Xjellocross said:
Shiranai said:

l0l0l Shira wins.

So should I just change my screen name to Ryan right now? Will Xinil be fined if I keep calling myself Xjellocross? Oh dear, I fear this bill. /sarcasm

Anayu said:
Frequencity said:

I stand corrected =P.

Just a shame people whine too much instead of ignoring the crap and flames. Are people jerks...sure absolutely...you just have to learn to ignore them instead of acknowledging them >.>...not so hard.

btw...if you don't know what /b/ is shame on you! It's a great place to lose your mind...that's for sure =P.

/c/ /w/ and /u/ are my favorites.../a/ is ok as well as /e/ but /b/ is for the hardened ones of the mind ~.^.
Mar 10, 2008 12:34 PM
Nov 2007
Wow fascist rules are really in fashion nowadays aren't they? But yeah regulations and limitations to any kind of media(like the internet, television or even books for that point) are always to steer, regulate or keep the people in "order". Apparently "normal" people just aren't allowed to be free to go and say what they want(even within the "normal" limits). I guess people lost sight of the meaning of freedom...
Mar 10, 2008 2:31 PM

Sep 2007
Shiranai said:

Basically.

This bill is full of fail.

Did you know there's a Phantasy Star Club?
Mar 10, 2008 3:04 PM
Dec 2007
Tim said:
Their full name would be used anytime a comment is posted.

Tim = Rubbish

edit: @_@ that special, me & Syanaide on 303 post XD...coincident
Mar 10, 2008 3:44 PM

Nov 2007
The Internet pedos are going to have a field day with this.
Mar 10, 2008 4:02 PM

Apr 2007
I think I'll legally change my name to "Anonymous" and then file a multmillion-dollar discrimination lawsuit. It's all easy street from there, baby!
Mar 10, 2008 4:40 PM

Jan 2008
Not being able to post anonymously? Thats just sooo stupid, I can't believe that this politician is that uninformed! What's up with all the freaking out because of online bullying, I often see commercials about helplines for people who get bullied on the net and such things too.

I mean, bullying on the net is just so much easier to handle than real bullying. You can easily stop reading a post if you find it offensive, no one is forcing you to read it. An easier way to handle this is handing out fliers about how to use the back button on you browser and how to use an ignore list.

Net bullying is just so easy to avoid that the only chance you SHOULD have to get bullied there is if you want to be bullied. ( or if the bully is very good at hacking, in which case that law wouldn't help either way )

This is so full of fail that I can't think that he is seriously considering this, it must be some sort of publicity stunt! Or he is just really stupid.

One more thing, if this law actually would be put to use it would make me get bullied IRL, since people I know would be able to figure out who owns this profile and be able to see what I have watched. They actually already are doing it a little, but since they have no proof it's easy to make them unsure of themselves and stop.

BTW, does anyone know this politicians e-mail or something? I'm really interested in having a little chat with him, LOL
DarkBlueMar 10, 2008 4:59 PM
Mar 10, 2008 5:05 PM

Nov 2007
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.billofrights.html
Just in case.
Mar 10, 2008 6:12 PM

Feb 2008
DarkBlue said:
Not being able to post anonymously? Thats just sooo stupid, I can't believe that this politician is that uninformed! What's up with all the freaking out because of online bullying, I often see commercials about helplines for people who get bullied on the net and such things too.

I mean, bullying on the net is just so much easier to handle than real bullying. You can easily stop reading a post if you find it offensive, no one is forcing you to read it. An easier way to handle this is handing out fliers about how to use the back button on you browser and how to use an ignore list.

Net bullying is just so easy to avoid that the only chance you SHOULD have to get bullied there is if you want to be bullied. ( or if the bully is very good at hacking, in which case that law wouldn't help either way )

This is so full of fail that I can't think that he is seriously considering this, it must be some sort of publicity stunt! Or he is just really stupid.

One more thing, if this law actually would be put to use it would make me get bullied IRL, since people I know would be able to figure out who owns this profile and be able to see what I have watched. They actually already are doing it a little, but since they have no proof it's easy to make them unsure of themselves and stop.

BTW, does anyone know this politicians e-mail or something? I'm really interested in having a little chat with him, LOL

Here you go, take your pick:
Mailing Address
PO Box 710
Hyden KY 41749
Frankfort Address(es)
702 Capitol Ave
Annex Room 432B
Frankfort KY 40601
Phone Number(s)
Home: (606) 672-8998
Home: (606) 672-8998 (fax)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 632
Email Address(es)
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Mailform/H090.htm

I think what they mean by "Internet Bullying" is a bunch of losers gossping online about someone. In most cases this gossip is done behind the back of the target and eventually gets back to him/her as a rumor with no beginning. They'll use this bill to focus on the start of such rumors...or something dumb like that.
Mar 10, 2008 7:17 PM

Dec 2007
This will never survive a legal challenge.
Mar 10, 2008 7:25 PM
Aug 2007
Iri said:
I think I'll legally change my name to "Anonymous" and then file a multmillion-dollar discrimination lawsuit. It's all easy street from there, baby!

DO IT. :D God, that would be so great.
Mar 10, 2008 7:38 PM

Jul 2007
If this happened, I would be V& within 2 days

Mar 10, 2008 8:33 PM
Dec 2007
We are Legion
Mar 10, 2008 10:00 PM
Dec 2007
the_seventh_l said:
Iri said:

DO IT. :D God, that would be so great.

Let take Iri idea seriously. *cheers*
Mar 10, 2008 10:17 PM

Jul 2007
LAH-Azrael said:
We are Legion

We do not forgive

Mar 10, 2008 10:48 PM

Nov 2007
Mizore said:
LAH-Azrael said:
We are Legion

We do not forgive

We do not forget
Mar 10, 2008 11:06 PM

Mar 2007
that bill will just sit there. forever. its what congress does.
Mar 10, 2008 11:24 PM

Apr 2007
CanadaAotS said:
Mizore said:
LAH-Azrael said:
We are Legion

We do not forgive

We do not forget

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 10, 2008 11:34 PM

Nov 2006
FUCKING NARUTO i had a comment but EUGH;
YOU ARE NOT KINDA COOL.
Mar 11, 2008 12:28 AM

Jul 2007
So basically what i'm reading is

the government vs anon

anon is an uncaring monster, it's obvious who will end up on top
Mar 11, 2008 12:33 AM

Jul 2007
CanadaAotS said:
Mizore said:
LAH-Azrael said:
We are Legion

We do not forgive

We do not forget

EXPECT CAKE

ViM said:
So basically what i'm reading is

the government vs anon

anon is a senseless, uncaring monster, it's obvious who will end up on top

fixt

Mar 11, 2008 4:11 PM

Nov 2007
windy said:
FUCKING NARUTO i had a comment but EUGH;
YOU ARE NOT KINDA COOL.

Lulz channers ftw
Mar 11, 2008 4:55 PM

May 2007
posting here can get u V&! 8D
Mar 11, 2008 4:58 PM
Nov 2007
Mizore said:
CanadaAotS said:
Mizore said:
LAH-Azrael said:
We are Legion

We do not forgive

We do not forget

EXPECT CAKE

And cookies
Mar 11, 2008 5:03 PM

Jul 2007
Lofoc said:
Mizore said:
CanadaAotS said:
Mizore said:
LAH-Azrael said:
We are Legion

We do not forgive

We do not forget

EXPECT CAKE

And cookies

and lolis

Mar 11, 2008 5:05 PM
Dec 2007
'hail lolis'

Mar 11, 2008 7:15 PM

Sep 2007
Indeed
Mar 11, 2008 9:09 PM

Jan 2008
It's just pointless to try to make people use their real names to access the internet.. There would be sudden teenage disappearances and the government would get blamed for lots.
Mar 11, 2008 9:31 PM
Nov 2007
http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1107/474924.html

wtf are u guys doing in the midwest.
=|

-petpet-
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.