Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people who seemingly hate the things that make anime distinct still insist on watching it?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 6, 2017 8:49 AM
Jan 2014
It's kind of crazy how you can write a post THAT long when you clearly did not even understand most of what I said.
Apr 6, 2017 9:26 AM
Jan 2014
Pullman said:
For once I don't like tsundere nor fanservice, and still found 3k+ anime to watch. I'm skeptical about your image of anime being accurate. If you think disliking these two should make you hate all anime, then holy fuck are you one ignorant bastard. Not to mention that there is a thing called 'execution' that matters to a lot of people. A trope in a vacuum is neither good or bad, it all depends on how the writers use it in the series. Intelligent people know that even when they might still have certain tropes they like more than others. None are inherently bad or good.

Never said anything like this.

Okay, so that's all you think anime has to offer? That's sad and ignorant. You obviously don't possess enough experience and knowledge to know what you're talking about. Go and watch dokuro-chan on repeat if you think that's all there is to anime but pelase spare the rest of us with your ignorance.

Also never said this

You obviously have no idea about the anime medium if you think there is nothnig in it for people who don't just want to see fanservice. Assuming that the mere presence of disagreeable elements in a medium should make people completely avoid it is some of the most ignorant shit I've ever heard.

Never said this

that people can only like one type of show

Never said this

As long as anime fans like you exist, who from the inside support any negative stereotype about anime, outside perception of the medium will never change.

What is this even supposed to mean?

Like I don't mind debating you. In fact, I encourage it. But when you write a PHD thesis consisting almost entirely of made-up phantom quotes that I didn't say and don't believe, it doesn't really go anywhere. You've created some made-up character to argue against.

I'll try once more to clarify what I'm saying. Try not to misconstrue it too much this time.

There is a large group of people within the anime community that are looking for something that anime doesn't often provide. Sometimes it does, but usually it doesn't. In the cases where it is provided, these people are happy. When it is not provided (which is usually the case), these people are unhappy. In addition, there are things that anime very frequently provides that these people don't want. These people get very upset when faced with these things.

You can get a sample of these people in the Reddit threads that I linked earlier. Here they are again:
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/2oo5sv/whats_a_trend_in_anime_that_you_hate/
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/2hm7a5/things_you_hate_about_anime/
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/1m1kwj/which_anime_character_design_trope_do_you_really/
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/3rw0vk/what_do_you_guys_dislike_or_even_hate_about_anime/

What I'm saying is that I find it very strange that these people go towards anime to seek out the things they are looking for, despite anime rarely containing them, and often containing things they really don't like. What makes this even stranger is that there are other mediums that very frequently provide what these people are looking for, while only rarely providing the things they're looking to avoid.

I'm sure that writing this post was just a waste of time, and you'll only have another autistic temper tantrum in which you put a lot of words into my mouth, but I'll still post it on the off-chance that you use both halves of your brain when reading it.
Apr 6, 2017 9:43 AM

Feb 2010
ItsXolo said:
Pullman said:
For once I don't like tsundere nor fanservice, and still found 3k+ anime to watch. I'm skeptical about your image of anime being accurate. If you think disliking these two should make you hate all anime, then holy fuck are you one ignorant bastard. Not to mention that there is a thing called 'execution' that matters to a lot of people. A trope in a vacuum is neither good or bad, it all depends on how the writers use it in the series. Intelligent people know that even when they might still have certain tropes they like more than others. None are inherently bad or good.

Never said anything like this.

Okay, so that's all you think anime has to offer? That's sad and ignorant. You obviously don't possess enough experience and knowledge to know what you're talking about. Go and watch dokuro-chan on repeat if you think that's all there is to anime but pelase spare the rest of us with your ignorance.

Also never said this

You obviously have no idea about the anime medium if you think there is nothnig in it for people who don't just want to see fanservice. Assuming that the mere presence of disagreeable elements in a medium should make people completely avoid it is some of the most ignorant shit I've ever heard.

Never said this

that people can only like one type of show

Never said this

As long as anime fans like you exist, who from the inside support any negative stereotype about anime, outside perception of the medium will never change.

What is this even supposed to mean?

Like I don't mind debating you. In fact, I encourage it. But when you write a PHD thesis consisting almost entirely of made-up phantom quotes that I didn't say and don't believe, it doesn't really go anywhere. You've created some made-up character to argue against.

I'll try once more to clarify what I'm saying. Try not to misconstrue it too much this time.

There is a large group of people within the anime community that are looking for something that anime doesn't often provide. Sometimes it does, but usually it doesn't. In the cases where it is provided, these people are happy. When it is not provided (which is usually the case), these people are unhappy. In addition, there are things that anime very frequently provides that these people don't want. These people get very upset when faced with these things.

You can get a sample of these people in the Reddit threads that I linked earlier. Here they are again:
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/2oo5sv/whats_a_trend_in_anime_that_you_hate/
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/2hm7a5/things_you_hate_about_anime/
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/1m1kwj/which_anime_character_design_trope_do_you_really/
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/3rw0vk/what_do_you_guys_dislike_or_even_hate_about_anime/

What I'm saying is that I find it very strange that these people go towards anime to seek out the things they are looking for, despite anime rarely containing them, and often containing things they really don't like. What makes this even stranger is that there are other mediums that very frequently provide what these people are looking for, while only rarely providing the things they're looking to avoid.

I'm sure that writing this post was just a waste of time, and you'll only have another autistic temper tantrum in which you put a lot of words into my mouth, but I'll still post it on the off-chance that you use both halves of your brain when reading it.

Okay so you choose to just be in denial about all the retarded underlying assumptions that your post requires people to make for it to even be coherent. Nice choice of 'counterargument' there.
You talk about people hating anime, and all you list as evidence are not liking fanservice and similar stuff. Obviously I have no other choice than to assume this is what you based that assumption on. I cannot read minds. I can only interpret what you write. And the ONLY thing you ever bring up as being disliked is fanservice and tsunderes. And you confidently mention that the people you talk about HATE anime as if it was a fact while only providing those two things as examples. If you're in denial about that leading to my interpretations then I can't help you either. May you be cured of it in the future.

But don't blame me for you being unable to formulate one coherent sentence that doesn't reek of underlying presumptions. Everything I mentioned is clearly in your post. If it isn't, your post contradicts itself and is worthless from the start because NOTHING you say makes any sense without the assumptions I put into your mouth. So your choice. Either your post is an incoherent mess, or you have to deal with all my criticism about the underlying assumptions you require us to make with your post.

Gotta love it when people blame me for their inability to properly formulate an argument.

When they also conveniently ignore anything else I said because it hits home you know you've got a rhetoric genius.

Your whole paragraph about some random reddit threads was addressed by my very first line. If you really were just curious about their reasons you would have asked them on reddit, and not go to another website to spread whatever silly conclusion you drew from some random threads.

There is no point in debating with people like you who already think they know the answer for their 'question' and provide their generalizations as if they were facts. You'll always find an excuse why you don't have to take criticism seriously, like calling me autistic (go back to reddit with your cancerous meme insults please). You're lucky you're too ignorant to realize your own stupidity. It might kill you.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 6, 2017 9:47 AM
Jan 2014
Pullman said:

You talk about people hating anime, and all you list as evidence are not liking fanservice and similar stuff.

Didn't say this.

Not even going to read the rest of your post, since you're just doing the same thing again. You're not worth engaging.
Apr 6, 2017 12:21 PM

Feb 2013
If you really were just curious about their reasons you would have asked them on reddit, and not go to another website to spread whatever silly conclusion you drew from some random threads.

Apr 6, 2017 6:33 PM

Oct 2015
lol you know someone is completely retarded and a troll when they think pullman will " have another autistic temper tantrum in which you put a lot of words into my mouth, but I'll still post it on the off-chance that you use both halves of your brain when reading it."

Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Apr 6, 2017 6:56 PM

Apr 2016
Wait what? There is so much diversity in anime, that's why I watch them. There are plenty of shows with all those anime tropes, yes everyone is tired of them at some point, but nobody forces you to watch them...

Pick the best for maximum enjoyment :3
Apr 6, 2017 9:11 PM

Nov 2014
ItsXolo said:
BurningSpirit said:
If you really want to talk about what makes anime distinct, you first have to acknowledge that it isn't a monolith.

Also if you think tropes and fanservice is the epitome of anime uniqueness, you probably are missing the point here. I'm not even going to bother going into the fact that fanservice is present in western media, and technically it has it's own cringe-worthy tropes.

For me? The answer is masochism, I like drowning in endless generic tsundere animation has infinitely more potential than live action. Even live action movies uses computer graphics most of the time now anyways. As for anime vs western animation... Anime is far more diverse, meanwhile western animation is still predominantly stuck in episodic action or slapstick comedy.

As for anime vs live action... Even the smallest of things you see all the time in anime, the exaggerated facial expressions and the frantic hand movements when a character is caught off-guard, you don't often see that in live movies. As such in terms of a good romcom or slice of life, for me anime has western media beaten hands down. I do watch western action/fantasy/drama movies every now and then, they can be good sometimes.

When you have a Tsukiko catgirl avatar and most of your favourite characters are lolis that are sexualized to varying degrees in their respective series, you're clearly not the type of person I'm talking about.

Actually out of the whole list, you'd find that only Shiina Mashiro and Sasamiya Saya has sexualised fanservice, and that isn't really their appeal anyways. Megumin and Tsukiko as well if you push that definition and count those that only have 1 or 2 scenes, but that clearly is not their appeal either. Most of them give off the cuteness vibe, which isn't sexualised fanservice, the same how a cute cat video or a video about an adorable kid isn't sexual fanservice (unless you are into that kinda thing.)

In any case, you're not addressing the fact that I'm saying that your entire premise of the question is based on faulty thinking. The fact that anime's appeal isn't fanservice and tropes, and that you'll find just that in almost every medium aside from anime.
BurningSpiritApr 6, 2017 9:17 PM
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Apr 6, 2017 11:36 PM
Jan 2014

You clearly aren't understanding anything that I've said if you think I ever implied that all anime is fanservice and tropes. But I mean if you want to create a fictional character and argue with him, then you can go ahead and keep doing it.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting
TyrelApr 7, 2017 12:24 AM
Apr 7, 2017 4:50 AM

Aug 2014
Tarextherex said:
Haeduans said:

Cult of LoGH? Enlighten me please. I'm a dear student of history and philosophy, and I am very much interested why LoGH is being regarded in a such dislikeful manner. YOu can point it out bullet by bullet, or an exhaustive essay, I promise I'll fully commit on listening to what you will try to impart to me.

Don't want to go off-topic/I spoke about this a lot on this site, but basically show is incredibly overhyped for no reason other than that it's the "anti-pleb" show, really. First off it's very bland visually, the animation isn't anything special despite this being an ova, the artstyle is meh(a lot of characters/places look very similar), like Rose of Versailles was 1979 and it looks better than LOGH. The show itself simply gets worse and worse after the first 26 episodes. Every single sub-plot was basically thrown away to make place for terraists and other contrived bullshit to prevent the plot of going forward. For over 80 episodes, it was simply the same stalemate between yang and reinhard, plus some dull stuff going on with the side character(julian doing no wrong because he's yang's protege, poplan making dumb jokes, the narrator hinting that reuenthal will end up doing something dumb, the rosenritter beating everyone with axes because explosive particles,etc). There was simply no more of the varied sub-plots that were treated during the first quarter: it was interesting because you would follow the political climate of both factions, you would see the characters in and out of battle and you would even see the lives of the common folk(something the show greatly neglects). At the end no, it was simply about the main characters that never lost battles, even the philosophy aspect ends up feeling like you're just watching college students whining about how shitty is the government, it was nice during the early episodes when you had yang/reinhard convey their political views by then justifying them in the story. Oh, also every single historical reference is superficial at best, actually the whole political aspect of the series is a huge joke. This was supposed to be based on WWII but that had a rich history ranging from both the ideologies of each faction and the interesting strategies used during the many battles. Logh has pretty much none of that, no the documentary episode wasn't enough, the plot is basically pitting democracy against autocracy because one thinks the other is wrong, there is no compromises. The nazis wanted their lebenstraum so they had access to ressources/the sea, they wanted a country that reflected the value of their people. Why does the empire even bother with the federation? Oh those neutral guys in logh that I don't remember the name, they could have been the united states or russia of the story but no, they didn't do shit aside from being illuminati with the terraists by cockblocking any potential negociations. Again, all of that with very little screentime given to characters other than the "galactic heroes", you barely see soldiers or citizens' point of view. It's a very shallow idea of war and conflict that only shows people of status pew pew ing each other with arms crossed for dozens of episodes, you don't see how war can radically change someone's situation. Even shonen shows with simple plots manage to convey that properly when the "War and Peace of anime" doesn't. It's a decent show for fans of the genre but not even close of being one of the all-time greats

Sorry got no time to reply back.. in a nutshell, I personally believe I was able to like LoGH as a philo-histo student was because I can tolerate healthy amounts of "hermeneutic interference" when I'm watching (or consuming) anime. As most of your questions/criticisms on your post hinge more on hermeneutic thinking, I believe that is a guaranteed formula to overlook "greater aspects" of what to look out for a series like LoGH. You can say I have a better grasp on heuristics, or I look onto the dialectics of those two as a proper balance (anyway I'm still contemplating on this, a conceptual understanding on anime satisfaction or preference in relation to dialectics, is a bit interesting) as exemplified by FMAB for example. I apologize if no one can comprehend me right now, been busy irl at schoolworks, maybe if I have free time I can better explain it, I'll probably make a MAL article or something like that... for the meantime I'm out.
Apr 7, 2017 5:06 AM

Aug 2011
I'm not going to write a 10-line pharagraph for this! To those who claim hate this and that about anime:

"Seemingly hate , yet still watching."
What are you? a Real Life Tsundere?

"Not liking fanservice or ecchi scene, yet still watching it."
Closet Pervert?
Apr 7, 2017 5:07 AM

Jul 2015
ItsXolo said:

You clearly aren't understanding anything that I've said if you think I ever implied that all anime is fanservice and tropes. But I mean if you want to create a fictional character and argue with him, then you can go ahead and keep doing it.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting

Maybe we're all too dumb to talk with a genius like you... Or maybe you're too pretentious to admit you might have said stupid shit. Because you did.

on the off-chance that they find a series that isn't like other anime.

"I never said it's all boob grabs lolol stop with your strawman blablabla"
DeathkoApr 7, 2017 5:11 AM
Apr 7, 2017 5:24 AM
Mar 2011
my views is this

western[ minaly us ] animemation is sp far behine anime over all as sory telling medium iv never seen anything like Hoatu no Haka dine by the us or Ginga ei den or Utena orr Marimite or EVA or Perfect blue im sorry defend of us animetion will say different but i have never seen stuff like that done on TV or in movies by us animation

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 7, 2017 7:01 AM

Jul 2015
ItsXolo said:
addioo12 said:
I'm very bothered by your comparison of shows that have nothing to do with one another, not even sharing the same medium. If you want mudfights, go back to reddit or 4chan

I mention what they have to do with one another in the sentence prior to mentioning each series. The fact that don't share the same medium is literally the point.

yikes i don't even know why i'm replying to this post

There is no point in comparing two different types of media, even if the shows belong to the same genres. The same concept and story can have a completely different appeal in a different medium. The way the story is transmitted is different when you don´t have actual human beings acting for you.

Comparing movies to anime is pointless. Constantly emphasising that life action is better than anime is a baseless comparison. The two types of media are produced with different end results in mind and viewers relate to them differently.

Other than that, i refer to pullmans comment and point my finger at you, loudly laughing.
addioo12Apr 7, 2017 9:22 AM
It's okay to smirk

Apr 7, 2017 9:14 AM

May 2015
These things don't make anime distinct at all. Watch Paranoia Agents. These are things that would be annoying no matter what I'd watched.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 7, 2017 9:16 AM
Mar 2017
How do you know you hate it until you've seen a decent amount of it? Kind of a chicken/egg thing.
Apr 7, 2017 7:55 PM

Nov 2011
ItsXolo said:
Pullman said:

You talk about people hating anime, and all you list as evidence are not liking fanservice and similar stuff.

Didn't say this.

Not even going to read the rest of your post, since you're just doing the same thing again. You're not worth engaging.

Where exactly did you provide any other reasons for disliking anime that you find foolish?

Seriously. Quote the specific paragraph(s) where you did so.

Nobody is going to take you seriously when you're pretending obvious problems with your stance don't exist when they do.
Apr 8, 2017 12:13 AM

May 2015
dickteautwins said:
How do you know you hate it until you've seen a decent amount of it? Kind of a chicken/egg thing.

He said people do watch anime, but watch a lot of it despite hating what makes it unique - fanservice and such things. The thing is, fanservice doesn't make the anime medium unique but its variety of art styles.
Apr 8, 2017 3:47 AM

Oct 2015
So what youre asking is why do people insist on watching anime; only to be disappointed by the predictable fanservice and wish fufilment bullshit when there is plenty of live action content that is objectively greater than even the best that exceptional anime has to offer?

@Clebardman

I love animation > the West produces even less animation targeting adults than Japan > I'm watching anime.

Basically this. There's a certain, pleasing efficiency to how anime can depict grand scale stories consistently on budgets more meagre than contemporary live action tv series. To get a tank in live action requires you to pay tens of thousands to haul an ex Soviet Israeli battle tank across the Atlantic; getting one in anime is as simple as a skilled animator's artwork!
Apr 8, 2017 4:58 AM

Jul 2015
@Voivodan hehe yeah. There's no limit with animation. I'm not so sure about budget constraints, because anime specifically has a lot of problems with that (animators are paid like 700 or 800$ for 80h/weeks, while seiyuu or popstars pays are through the roof).
But you just can't do that with anything else than animation:

most of my favs are also anime originals, and I guess that makes sense considering animation is the reason why I'm here in the first place. Nice Cyber City Oedo in your favs btw. ;3
Apr 8, 2017 5:07 AM
Jul 2018
Is it just me or is the only person who shows signs of hating anime here the OP himself? Who claims that you can find better stories in western media and all that anime is good for is fanservices and shoving tropes down everyone's throats?

Lololololololol

GG

Edit: upon reading OPs replies I concluded that he is just plain dumb.
Apr 8, 2017 6:44 AM

Oct 2015
Clebardman said:
@Voivodan hehe yeah. There's no limit with animation. I'm not so sure about budget constraints, because anime specifically has a lot of problems with that (animators are paid like 700 or 800$ for 80h/weeks, while seiyuu or popstars pays are through the roof).
But you just can't do that with anything else than animation:

most of my favs are also anime originals, and I guess that makes sense considering animation is the reason why I'm here in the first place. Nice Cyber City Oedo in your favs btw. ;3

That is the thing; even with a smoll budget and staff wages that would make seiyuus laugh, anime consistently outputs epic shows featuring giant robots squaring off, wizards casting thunderbolts up peoples asses and tiny girls muscling their way through tank divisions.

I'll be honest, if more western animation was like Pink Floyd's Wall, Fantastic Planet and Heavy Metal, I might not have even got into anime in the first place.
Apr 12, 2017 1:27 PM
Sep 2011
ItsXolo said:
I'm talking about people who constantly complain about things like tropes, fanservice, teenage casts, etc. You'll find these people en masse at r/anime.

Like, those are basically the things that make anime distinct from other mediums like western film and TV. Those are the reasons you'd specifically seek out anime. It just makes no sense to me that a person who hates fanservice, tsunderes, and other anime tropes would seek out anime of all things, and then complain about it.

Let's say I loved rock music, and hated rap music. Then I decided that I would listen to lots of rap music, just because 0.1% of the time I'd find a rap song that also incorporated rock. Then in the other 99.9% of times when the song was full rap, I'd complain that it was entirely rap. It just makes no sense. Why wouldn't I just avoid rap altogether, and listen to rock instead?

If you hate tropes and fanservice, then there is a metric fuckton of western media out there for you to consume that would be much better suited to your tastes. Not only that, but the best of it tends to be a LOT better than anime that tries to do the same thing.

Do you want a character-driven story that follows the life of a person from childhood to adulthood? Well, Forrest Gump is a LOT better than Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.

Do you want political thriller with a huge cast of characters and a lot of moving parts? Well, The Wire is a LOT better than Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Do you want to watch a teenage boy accidentally walk in on his crush getting changed and then get comically beat up? Well, then you can't get better than anime.

It just seems like there is a huge group of people that hate anime, but watch it anyway just on the off-chance that they find a series that isn't like other anime. It really isn't an efficient way to consume media.

If you think that anime is only fanserive, you are completely wrong

That's because you're only watching the bad ones, they are many amazing animes out there that you just haven't seen.

If you want to watch something that's different than usual and doesn't take place in high school, You should watch older anime's.

They are much better written and have more episodes .
RozalthiricApr 12, 2017 1:42 PM
Apr 12, 2017 4:11 PM

Jan 2014
I think you are somewhat right. Anime nowadays has incorporated many of those things that you pointed out in which I don't particularly really care for or look at in a good light. If that is what you think people mostly think of anime today, then it is what it is.

Truthfully speaking I probably think 90% of shows out there are pretty much not interesting. It wasn't always like that for myself though, but nowadays definitely close.

I don't think I can say I enjoy just, anime, itself. Like the medium/genre being anime, a type of animation. good art/animation is pleasing but ultimately I don't invest into a show on visual prowess alone anymore. It's not good enough for me if there isn't anything interesting backing up the visuals (whether its characters, music, etc.).

Honestly you could put me in that category of people and yes it is mostly a waste of time to search for those "gems" once in a while. But also it should be said I can't simply 100% correctly judge every show from its synposis, trailers, outskirt information. etc.. There are many times when the show becomes great despite my initial judgements and impressions for the first few episodes. But ultimately I will still search somewhat nonchalantly for a good show when one catches my eye, without putting much thought into whether it's a waste of time or not. Just check it out, drop if when you want or think there's nothing worth going on for. It is the process of saving time and trusting my own instincts whether the show will be worth it or not. Finding a good show is worth it as long as you don't drive yourself crazy trying to find one. That's why I commend people who go in with the completionist attitude before judging a show because personally I would never have the patience sit through something I have no interest in within the realms of my own leisure.
There are some anime shows I loved (And possibly still do) but for the vast majority of shows I don't have really much care for them.

I'm sure many people have reached a point where they just feel everything being pumped out is garbage tier. I like anime for my own reasons but if those things are getting harder and harder to find in shows nowadays then yeah it's time to move on from watching many anime.

RN I always come back for maybe 1 or 2 shows every other season if I'm lucky, or when I feel the need to watch something I'll actually "search" for something, but prior I took several yearly strides/breaks when it came to watching anime because of life. But to me what makes anime distinct are not those things that are listed, because it can be something distinguished, profound, creative and an amazing novel experience. But hey, we all watch for different (and similar reasons) right? To each their own I guess.
Apr 18, 2017 2:47 AM

Jun 2010
Haters gonna hate, this is something the western has been spreading for years and sadly even if you ignore it, it will simply get worse instead of dying down.
Apr 19, 2017 8:09 AM

May 2015
anonypc said:
I think you are somewhat right. Anime nowadays has incorporated many of those things that you pointed out in which I don't particularly really care for or look at in a good light. If that is what you think people mostly think of anime today, then it is what it is.

Truthfully speaking I probably think 90% of shows out there are pretty much not interesting. It wasn't always like that for myself though, but nowadays definitely close.

I don't think I can say I enjoy just, anime, itself. Like the medium/genre being anime, a type of animation. good art/animation is pleasing but ultimately I don't invest into a show on visual prowess alone anymore. It's not good enough for me if there isn't anything interesting backing up the visuals (whether its characters, music, etc.).

Honestly you could put me in that category of people and yes it is mostly a waste of time to search for those "gems" once in a while. But also it should be said I can't simply 100% correctly judge every show from its synposis, trailers, outskirt information. etc.. There are many times when the show becomes great despite my initial judgements and impressions for the first few episodes. But ultimately I will still search somewhat nonchalantly for a good show when one catches my eye, without putting much thought into whether it's a waste of time or not. Just check it out, drop if when you want or think there's nothing worth going on for. It is the process of saving time and trusting my own instincts whether the show will be worth it or not. Finding a good show is worth it as long as you don't drive yourself crazy trying to find one. That's why I commend people who go in with the completionist attitude before judging a show because personally I would never have the patience sit through something I have no interest in within the realms of my own leisure.
There are some anime shows I loved (And possibly still do) but for the vast majority of shows I don't have really much care for them.

I'm sure many people have reached a point where they just feel everything being pumped out is garbage tier. I like anime for my own reasons but if those things are getting harder and harder to find in shows nowadays then yeah it's time to move on from watching many anime.

RN I always come back for maybe 1 or 2 shows every other season if I'm lucky, or when I feel the need to watch something I'll actually "search" for something, but prior I took several yearly strides/breaks when it came to watching anime because of life. But to me what makes anime distinct are not those things that are listed, because it can be something distinguished, profound, creative and an amazing novel experience. But hey, we all watch for different (and similar reasons) right? To each their own I guess.

Isn't the 90% of everything quite crap, though?
Apr 19, 2017 8:12 AM

Sep 2009
Because they've run out of everything else to watch. Like me.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Apr 19, 2017 1:37 PM
Nov 2010
ItsXolo said:

If I seek A, B, C, D and E out of a show, and I watch a show that has A, B, C, D and F, and then complain about it having F and not E, why would I watch something that has A, G, H and E instead? This is just an example and I hope I made it simple enough.

Do note that what you said defines anime (overdone fanservice, badly used tropes etc. ) is not what defines anime.

When someone says they want less one-dimensional villains in anime, they mean that they want less one-dimensional villains in anime, not that they want less one-dimensional villains in whatever they watch/read.
Apr 19, 2017 2:03 PM

Apr 2017
ItsXolo said:
I'm talking about people who constantly complain about things like tropes, fanservice, teenage casts, etc. You'll find these people en masse at r/anime.

Like, those are basically the things that make anime distinct from other mediums like western film and TV. Those are the reasons you'd specifically seek out anime. It just makes no sense to me that a person who hates fanservice, tsunderes, and other anime tropes would seek out anime of all things, and then complain about it.

The reason why I complain about things in anime like ecchi and fan service is because I think most of it is poorly done and as a fan of anime I want to see the industry do a better job of showing these elements. I don't have a problem with fanservice itself, just how it seems to be forced into so much anime. I mean enjoy shows like Prison School and Shimoneta because I thought the ecchi in the shows were well done and actually made me laugh.
Apr 20, 2017 1:17 AM

Nov 2009
toybox said:
Even though this comment is old (fuck this entire thread is old lmao),

14 days ago is "old" already? What is this world coming to! I must be a dinosaur.

Haeduans said:
Sorry got no time to reply back.. in a nutshell, I personally believe I was able to like LoGH as a philo-histo student was because I can tolerate healthy amounts of "hermeneutic interference" when I'm watching (or consuming) anime. As most of your questions/criticisms on your post hinge more on hermeneutic thinking, I believe that is a guaranteed formula to overlook "greater aspects" of what to look out for a series like LoGH. You can say I have a better grasp on heuristics, or I look onto the dialectics of those two as a proper balance (anyway I'm still contemplating on this, a conceptual understanding on anime satisfaction or preference in relation to dialectics, is a bit interesting) as exemplified by FMAB for example. I apologize if no one can comprehend me right now, been busy irl at schoolworks, maybe if I have free time I can better explain it, I'll probably make a MAL article or something like that... for the meantime I'm out.

Could you explain what "hermeneutic interference" means in such a way that a non-native english speaker like me will understand? I feel that I should learn these words and use them to bash fanservice haters.

anonypc said:

It is perfectly normal for an experienced fan to be looking for a diamond in the rough. But why do some people keep complaining that any particular anime they find isn't such a diamond?
I mean, I do not want to see a girl's panties when she is eaten by zombies, and I understand that some people will complain about that (like I do). But complaining about a harem show having expected amounts of fanservice in expected places is just dumb. (unless you mean to make a feminist point, in which case you're just being unconstructive).
Apr 20, 2017 2:59 AM

May 2015
YuriCarrier said:
ItsXolo said:

The reason why I complain about things in anime like ecchi and fan service is because I think most of it is poorly done and as a fan of anime I want to see the industry do a better job of showing these elements. I don't have a problem with fanservice itself, just how it seems to be forced into so much anime. I mean enjoy shows like Prison School and Shimoneta because I thought the ecchi in the shows were well done and actually made me laugh.

How do you think ecchi elements can be done well?
Apr 20, 2017 1:11 PM

Apr 2017
TheBrainintheJar said:
YuriCarrier said:

TheBrainintheJar said:
YuriCarrier said:

Personally I would remove ecchi from certain scences like an action scence or where characters are having an actual discussion. I did always find a bit strange when I see a female character is in a fight that camera has to linger at her panties or if characters are having a serious talk. The camera is more focus on showing off the character's curves than her facial expressions. The number one complaint​ about ecchi/fanservice that I hear is that it feels out of place in certain places. If Creators would do a better job of simply making ecchi seem more natural then I would wage the complaints about ecchi would die down. For example, if show wants up close shots of boobs, butts and bugles why not just stick to a beach/hot spring scence.
Apr 21, 2017 3:27 AM

May 2015
YuriCarrier said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

TheBrainintheJar said:

Personally I would remove ecchi from certain scences like an action scence or where characters are having an actual discussion. I did always find a bit strange when I see a female character is in a fight that camera has to linger at her panties or if characters are having a serious talk. The camera is more focus on showing off the character's curves than her facial expressions. The number one complaint​ about ecchi/fanservice that I hear is that it feels out of place in certain places. If Creators would do a better job of simply making ecchi seem more natural then I would wage the complaints about ecchi would die down. For example, if show wants up close shots of boobs, butts and bugles why not just stick to a beach/hot spring scence.

While I love sexy art, I find ecchi anime out of place in any anime. I watch anime for narrative art, not for sexual arousal. Ecchi moments are mostly distracting. It's better to keep them for Megami magazines - and then you get some awesome stuff.
Apr 21, 2017 3:33 AM

Apr 2017
Woah that's way.. too Accurate and I didn't know this could be a thing..

First of all It's Anime "LOGIC" that defies.. a lot of.. mechanic.. possible.. intentions

of some set of characters droven in the story..
-HippySnob-Apr 21, 2017 3:38 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Apr 21, 2017 1:43 PM

Apr 2017
TheBrainintheJar said:
YuriCarrier said:

While I love sexy art, I find ecchi anime out of place in any anime. I watch anime for narrative art, not for sexual arousal. Ecchi moments are mostly distracting. It's better to keep them for Megami magazines - and then you get some awesome stuff.

I can't disagree with that. Though I tend to view ecchi as sexual humor rather than arousal, but ecchi is rarely funny. What is Megmai magazines?
Apr 21, 2017 3:34 PM

May 2015
YuriCarrier said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I can't disagree with that. Though I tend to view ecchi as sexual humor rather than arousal, but ecchi is rarely funny. What is Megmai magazines?

Megami magazine is the Playboy of anime. An anime magazine with a lot of sexy posters. Often the art is pretty awesome.

I don't actually find a lot of sexual humor in ecchi. It's mostly embarrassing scenes, but then again sexual humor is at its best when it's late at night and you're with your homies. Outside this context it's boring.
Apr 22, 2017 1:23 AM

May 2015
Turtles_Hunter said:
ItsXolo said:

Ok, I didn't read the whole thread yet, but there is already so much wrong here. You basically saying that all anime are about fanservice, tsundere, teenage cast and thing like that. But that's not true. Your definition of anime is wrong. You exclude a good show. Anime has many form. With your definition, you remove things like Death Note, Shinsekai Yori, Ghost in the Shell, or even shows like Ergo Proxy or Casshern Sins, that despite their flaws are pretty good, and don't fit in your definition.

People complain about overused anime tropes because nowadays 80% of the production is a forgetable show, like there is 10 a year. The average harem, the average forced comedy, etc. Sure, everything is not horrible, contrary to what some say.

But here you're saying. Well I like them, go watch anything else and don't complain. Shut your critical thinking and go away. Sure I'd like if all those people saying everything they don't like is shit taste to learn to express their opinion like decent human beings. But what you say is just ignoring the not so small part of anime that don't fit your description.

[edit]
ok, after reading it, either you can't express your thought, either you're a troll, either (and I'm sorry to say that, but I don't see any way to sugarcoat it) you're just stupid.

Perhaps this is just 'I watch anime ironically' shtick, only with a lot more words.
Apr 22, 2017 5:20 PM

Jul 2014
Anime is a diverse medium and thus there aren't any cliches and/or tropes that make it distinct. That being said, I'll grant that there are cliches/tropes that are associated with anime since they are prevalent in genres that only really exist in anime, manga, LNs and other such mediums (for example, battle shounen and harem).

And to answer your question, people don't like anime cliches for the same reason they don't like, for example, movie cliches. They get repetitive and often infer a lack of creativity on the part of the writer.
LoveLikeBloodApr 22, 2017 5:26 PM
Take care of yourself

Apr 23, 2017 12:43 AM

May 2015
razortongue said:
Anime is a diverse medium and thus there aren't any cliches and/or tropes that make it distinct. That being said, I'll grant that there are cliches/tropes that are associated with anime since they are prevalent in genres that only really exist in anime, manga, LNs and other such mediums (for example, battle shounen and harem).

And to answer your question, people don't like anime cliches for the same reason they don't like, for example, movie cliches. They get repetitive and often infer a lack of creativity on the part of the writer.

I think the common nature of this trope has more to do with culture than medium. I prefer Japan's cliches, though. Hollywood's overly serious and muscular shit is boring.
Apr 23, 2017 12:56 AM

May 2016
It's not what answer your question but... Do you really think fanservice, tsunderes, etc are in all anime? Just watch Evangelion and Madoka Magica if you haven't

Also, it doesn't make sense you compare western media with anime... And not only that, western media has also its own tropes than can make it annoying (like anime). So just one is not better than the other.
Apr 23, 2017 12:58 AM
Feb 2014
They're not sincere fans. Probably watched anime because it was hip and edgy, but then their feefees are at risk when they learn that anime is, ironically distinct in nature and not fitting to their primary reasons as to why it was watched in the first place, which was of course, to find something hip and edgy because their Redditor friends said so. Possibly the most fake tolerant people I've came across were this.

The responses in most of these threads are hilariously cringe. Holy shit, Reddit was a fucking mistake.
AqutanApr 23, 2017 1:06 AM
Apr 23, 2017 1:28 AM

Jun 2015
Libradyce said:

If you think that anime is only fanservice, you are completely wrong
That's because you're only watching the bad ones, they are many amazing animes out there that you just haven't seen.
If you want to watch something that's different than usual and doesn't take place in high school, You should watch older anime's.
They are much better written and have more episodes .

This. And among new animes there are plenty of good things without the shitty tropes that have been mentioned.

Like, I almost hate cliche characters and fanservice and other signs of bad script writing but I already have found hundreds of animes I love. So, what am I doing wrong?
EvloraApr 23, 2017 1:37 AM
Apr 23, 2017 1:30 AM

Feb 2015
There two people in this world.

Those who will eat food because they're starving to death, and those people who will eat food because they just feel like eating it.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is your waifu photogenic?

Catalano - 54 minutes ago

3 by LightWorker »»
2 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 )

707supremacist - Yesterday

51 by Gashadokur0 »»
2 minutes ago

» we already have anime about 30 year old men so why not anime about 30 year old moms be the next trend?

tappioca - 23 minutes ago

2 by tappioca »»
3 minutes ago

» What is the best anime in your opinion?

tappioca - 3 hours ago

13 by Sports_Friday »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you enjoy talking about anime you dislike?

Catalano - May 3

49 by tappioca »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.