Forum Settings
Forums

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru - Episode 7: Requiem of the Golden Witch Chapter 48 Discussion

New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 2017 2:29 PM

Oct 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Well, this episode left me with mixed feelings, but it was mostly positive.

I enjoyed the new Will character, even though it felt like everything was handed to him on a silver platter, it was still enjoyable that he actually figured quite a lot out without having knowledge of Ushiromiya family aside of the few games shown to him.
What I didn't enjoy the most was probably the way he explained the deaths though - I mean, yes, it would be plausible... if only we did NOT see the game episodes with red and blue truths. Since I read the episodes within a short time span - I can still see how much some of the explanations here contradict the red truth hints that Battler was given. I mean it means that either Battler was totally being made a complete fool of and the game of red/blue truth was completely meaningless aside of giving a few hints... or the author failed somewhere in the long run.

The 'magic' part of this manga is probably it's worst point.. author certainly did great at first episode and partly at this one because it had minimum of the barely explained magic... but the whole thing with red/blue truth felt like a complete bullshit. I don't mind the concept of the 'game room' too much - I mean it's fine if in the end it would be explained just as the characters discussing the events from different angles in the end... or something along those lines.

The whole complexity the author made, which is actually quite admirable are ruined by some unnecessary concepts... but that's just my opinion, maybe it would actually add some spice to some people, eh.

A lot of questions were answered and that is certainly satisfying in a way. Still a few more remain - mostly about Ange and what really happened to her on the island(I suppose the reality would be - the bodyguard killed everyone else and then turned Ange into 'mince meat' somehow.. another smaller possibility is that she is mince meat to begin with after jumping from the roof and the whole thing that happened after is an illusion.. eh, both sound as so so explanations though) and of course the main question is what comes next... I seriously can't see what author wants us to see in the last episode.. a good ending, eh? That would be a bit disappointing, but finding some of the plot holes patched up even slightly would be nice.

Overall it was still one of the best episodes out of the 7 for me and it kept me reading non stop unlike a few previous ones. To be honest I wouldn't mind it being concluded with the whole family killing each other with Eva as sole survivor thing. It was quite decent despite leaving some unanswered questions and I hope the 8th episode won't be disappointment at least.
HentaichegMar 31, 2017 2:42 PM
Jan 3, 2018 6:48 PM

May 2010
7th episode was my favourite one from the games, the way "truth" and Yasu's story were presented and explained was brilliant, and unlike anything I've ever seen in any medium, probably. Manga did a wonderful job converting the scenes from the visual novel, gotta congratulate author for that it.

The last scene from this episode, with kind, but wearing a sad smile Battler and crying Ange always manages to crush my heart ;_; Why can't these two just be alive and happy together?!

10/10 One of my favourite stories ever.
Oct 24, 2018 11:19 AM

Mar 2017
Kitsu-nee said:
7th episode was my favourite one from the games, the way "truth" and Yasu's story were presented and explained was brilliant, and unlike anything I've ever seen in any medium, probably. Manga did a wonderful job converting the scenes from the visual novel, gotta congratulate author for that it.

The last scene from this episode, with kind, but wearing a sad smile Battler and crying Ange always manages to crush my heart ;_; Why can't these two just be alive and happy together?!

I agree 100% percent! I tried only quoting the gist of your comment, but it turns out I agree so much with what you said, it's impossible.

Contrary to the OP, I do not see any contradictions with red truths, though I will admit it took me some explanations until I understood everything as well. But once you realize what "is dead" means in red truths (concerning Yasu) and that the 5th and 6th games were pretty much only based on wordplay and confusing on purpose (like, with the exact time the red truths were stated not being the same time that was implied in their "red"/"blue" battles - on purpose!) it becomes actually solvable.

Pretty much the only little detail that I disagree with with this official explanation is that Genji murdered Kumasawa and Nanjo on his own in the second game without offing himself immediately after. As fiercely loyal as he could possibly be towards Yasu, those two victims in particular are his closest friends after Kinzou himself and I just can't buy it. My headcanon is that Shannon did it (it would still make sense timeline-wise) and maybe Genji helped. But whatever.

Umineko truly is amazing, and I loved this episode in particular because I was actually at my limits when it came to the mystery aspect. I was struggling so much to piece things together when I read the VN, that finally getting answers felt like a godsend. Plus Will and Lion are the cutest Umineko couple and are both damn smexy. I loved the somber mood and excellent OST of the VN, but the manga more than makes up for the lack of these with its AMAZING art.

I am struggling to put my feelings into words, but Episode 7 is my favorite part of my favorite work of fiction, period. No anime, manga or other movie, book etc. can come close to Umineko for me. I absolutely fell in love with these characters and the story. It's been about a year now, I actually started reading the VN at the start of October and finished it around Christmas or New Year. It was also the first time something touched me so much that I COULDN'T cry. I needed like three full days of processing the end of episode 8 and THEN I cried for an entire evening.

Anyway, sorry for my rambling. :P

//edit: Please, if you are triggered by the fact that I think Will and Lion are cute together, fuck off. I don't "ship" them or anyone ever really, and I don't want to make humanity go extinct by brainwashing people into being gay, and I never meant to say that all other relationships in Umineko are "fake" or "untrue". Thank you.
Leigh39Feb 21, 2019 7:29 AM
Nov 13, 2018 5:36 AM
Jul 2018
cptlee39 said:
Kitsu-nee said:

I agree 100% percent! I tried only quoting the gist of your comment, but it turns out I agree so much with what you said, it's impossible.

Contrary to the OP, I do not see any contradictions with red truths, though I will admit it took me some explanations until I understood everything as well. But once you realize what "is dead" means in red truths (concerning Yasu) and that the 5th and 6th games were pretty much only based on wordplay and confusing on purpose (like, with the exact time the red truths were stated not being the same time that was implied in their "red"/"blue" battles - on purpose!) it becomes actually solvable.

Pretty much the only little detail that I disagree with with this official explanation is that Genji murdered Kumasawa and Nanjo on his own in the second game without offing himself immediately after. As fiercely loyal as he could possibly be towards Yasu, those two victims in particular are his closest friends after Kinzou himself and I just can't buy it. My headcanon is that Shannon did it (it would still make sense timeline-wise) and maybe Genji helped. But whatever.

Umineko truly is amazing, and I loved this episode in particular because I was actually at my limits when it came to the mystery aspect. I was struggling so much to piece things together when I read the VN, that finally getting answers felt like a godsend. Plus Will and Lion are the cutest Umineko couple and are both damn smexy. I loved the somber mood and excellent OST of the VN, but the manga more than makes up for the lack of these with its AMAZING art.

I am struggling to put my feelings into words, but Episode 7 is my favorite part of my favorite work of fiction, period. No anime, manga or other movie, book etc. can come close to Umineko for me. I absolutely fell in love with these characters and the story. It's been about a year now, I actually started reading the VN at the start of October and finished it around Christmas or New Year. It was also the first time something touched me so much that I COULDN'T cry. I needed like three full days of processing the end of episode 8 and THEN I cried for an entire evening.

Anyway, sorry for my rambling. :P

Since I was rereading the vn I found your comment interesting. I think mysterywise, ep 5 and 6 are certainly less polished than the previous ones, because of lots of trolling, and wordplay(to bypass the red truths, which may offend people), there is also a plothole in episode 5. However because of the presence of blue/red truths it delivers some of the most entertaining and cathartic moments of umineko, like the ??? part of episode 5.

In the vn, it was never stated who killed Kumasawa and Nanjo actually, so that was always possible for Sayo, but here it was stated Genji did it so both goes maybe.

Funny that you say you liked these answers, since a lot of people preferred the vague interpretations of the vn. I think episode 8 manga is better than the vn counterpart too, even more than ep 7.
Nov 13, 2018 9:01 AM

Mar 2017
EndlessWitch said:

Since I was rereading the vn I found your comment interesting. I think mysterywise, ep 5 and 6 are certainly less polished than the previous ones, because of lots of trolling, and wordplay(to bypass the red truths, which may offend people), there is also a plothole in episode 5. However because of the presence of blue/red truths it delivers some of the most entertaining and cathartic moments of umineko, like the ??? part of episode 5.

In the vn, it was never stated who killed Kumasawa and Nanjo actually, so that was always possible for Sayo, but here it was stated Genji did it so both goes maybe.

Funny that you say you liked these answers, since a lot of people preferred the vague interpretations of the vn. I think episode 8 manga is better than the vn counterpart too, even more than ep 7.

Could you remind me what the plothole in episode 5 was? I don't remember. But I do remember that even after the guys in my Discord group finished Umineko a long time ago, there were still arguments and discussions about some stuff from episodes 5 and 6. I don't think they are less polished, though they really are not typical mysteries in that regard. They are more "unfair" I guess.

I can see the appeal of the more vague answers in the VN, and honestly if we didn't get the additional info in the manga, that would have been fine, too. The "official" explanation kind of removes some of the magic so to speak, but at the same time I was REALLY engaged with the story, so getting these answers was really satisfying.

I can't wait for episode 8 to be published! I read one or two chapters before I think, but it seems they changed/added a lot (also because it was the only "interactive" episode in the VN, which isn't doable with a manga anyway).
Nov 13, 2018 9:02 AM
Jul 2018
cptlee39 said:
EndlessWitch said:

Could you remind me what the plothole in episode 5 was? I don't remember. But I do remember that even after the guys in my Discord group finished Umineko a long time ago, there were still arguments and discussions about some stuff from episodes 5 and 6. I don't think they are less polished, though they really are not typical mysteries in that regard. They are more "unfair" I guess.

I can see the appeal of the more vague answers in the VN, and honestly if we didn't get the additional info in the manga, that would have been fine, too. The "official" explanation kind of removes some of the magic so to speak, but at the same time I was REALLY engaged with the story, so getting these answers was really satisfying.

I can't wait for episode 8 to be published! I read one or two chapters before I think, but it seems they changed/added a lot (also because it was the only "interactive" episode in the VN, which isn't doable with a manga anyway).

I will respond to you in profile comments since this could be off-topic here.
Aug 12, 2020 7:09 AM

Aug 2009
The extra answers provided in this manga adaptation really helped me fully understand the previous episodes. I absolutely loved Yasu's flashbacks. The way the mangaka conveyed her distraught emotions was devastating. Also whenever Yasu added a new personality was so well done. I absolutely LOVE it.

The part with Lion and Ange watching Bernkastel's show was also goosebump-inducing. A Ange's reaction to "the truth" (we still don't know what the actual truth is, even though Bern stated in red that it is) was heartbreaking. She deserves so much better than this.

I'm so curious about the last episode. I hope it'll be a proper ending to this insane saga.
Feb 7, 2022 8:08 PM
Aug 2021
“This will not have a good ending”

Cant wait to see what’s in the final arc.
May 14, 2022 6:36 AM

May 2018
What can I say... I'm satisfied with Episode 7, because it finally answered most of my questions for the past 6 episodes and it's one of the reason why I enjoyed this Episode. Definitely surprised for most of the part, because it's WTC we are talking about, and I'm not disappointed.

Still can't believe for some part, because I really didn't expect that was the case. The truth is something I didn't expect.

Jun 24, 2022 4:01 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
It is hard to read this and not spell DISASTER, by the end you had so many awesomes scenes like the reveal of Kinzo past, of Yasu, all of them soo long in the making teased, answers that make an impact, and while it was a bit slow in the middle, just like the VN version, end result is still just beautiful and depressing.

Ange's bits always got me in EP4 and seeing her emotions even if short lived made me a mess too, besides I really loved Lion and Yasu too, fucked up tale...

Yasu as a child was so adorable, I dont feel this episode explains everything but I m aware manga EP8 does, and that goes the extra mile.

As far as execution goes, this is almost on par with the VN, this an amazing adaptation, minus the flaws of the VN here, and I was expecting the kitties at the end to actually be panters, tbh expected it to be more visually traumatic.

9.5/10 = 10
PlaycoolJun 24, 2022 5:16 PM
Sep 1, 2023 11:10 AM
Jun 2020
Esperava mais..........
Oct 12, 2023 4:54 AM

Apr 2020
Awesome build up for the last game.

Pretty disappointing that we got a cliffhanger amid the fight tho.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru - Episode 7: Requiem of the Golden Witch Chapter 47 Discussion

DefeatingMe - Oct 12, 2023

0 by DefeatingMe »»
Oct 12, 2023 3:58 AM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru - Episode 7: Requiem of the Golden Witch Chapter 46 Discussion

DefeatingMe - Oct 12, 2023

0 by DefeatingMe »»
Oct 12, 2023 3:37 AM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru - Episode 7: Requiem of the Golden Witch Chapter 45 Discussion

DefeatingMe - Oct 11, 2023

0 by DefeatingMe »»
Oct 11, 2023 7:39 AM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru - Episode 7: Requiem of the Golden Witch Chapter 44 Discussion

Kitsu-nee - Jan 3, 2018

3 by DefeatingMe »»
Oct 11, 2023 5:43 AM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru - Episode 7: Requiem of the Golden Witch Chapter 43 Discussion

DefeatingMe - Oct 11, 2023

0 by DefeatingMe »»
Oct 11, 2023 5:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.