Forum Settings
Forums

Need help, Skype is not working and no im not asking for replacements (now with tl;dr)

New
Mar 28, 2017 12:53 PM

Mar 2008
(added tl;dr below)

I woke up this morning to find my Skype signed out with a message saying "We've signed you out because you're using an outdated version of Skype. Download the latest version now". I usually use version 6.20 to avoid the ugly and difficult to read chat bubble interface but apparently Microsoft decided to not allow anyone to use version 7.16 and earlier.
https://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Skype-for-Windows-version-7-16-and-earlier-will-be-retired-from/td-p/4586474
They claim it is to transition to cloud based but the versions they cut off was functional already with their system so I suspect other reasons either to push more advertising or to force all to update to the versions of Skype with the built in translator which I suspect is what the CIA used to convert calls into text by using Skype itself but that is just a guess since I don recall Wikileaks explaining how it does that if it's in program or external. Although Skype is a pain I still need to use it to access my chat logs that matter to me and for doing video calls and stay available to old contacts so just switching programs wont do right now. I heard a lot of problems mentioned about the latest Skype version. It was supposed to hit early march but didnt hit me till now. I tried blocking Microsoft IP addresses and just allowing what minimal it would take to log me in but that didn't work to bipass this.

So the questions I have are
-Is there a way to bipass this forced update that wont cause problems?.

-If not then what are the versions of Skype later than v.7.16 that are stable for 64 bit Win7 on a laptop that is a few years old with not much ram (3gb) ? I assume the older the version the safer since it seems they are rushing updates.

-When you copy and paste the chat history in the newer ugly bulky UI versions does it pick up timestamps and names of who is talking so i can copy it to a text document if I need to back up my history externally for if I later am able to ditch Skype.

-It still has locally stored logs so I can still access my history, right? I know it should but I should ask anyway.

UPDATE:
I tried 7.17.0.104 that i downloaded via waybaack machine's archive. It installed okay but wont log in right. I allowed cookies in internet explorer and it didnt fix it. It just keeps spinning on the signing in pge and using a lot or ram up like 300,000kb which i kept using cleanmem mini to clear out just in case it was a leak. I dont know what's wrong. Installing this version and enabling auto login did get me in to my old6.20 version from a backup momentarily but it wont send messages it seems likely from the mix of two versions files being used and it will likely kick me off again later.

Update2: Installing 7.34.0.103 did not fix it either. Same issue it just keeps spinning on the signing in page not lloading the main window for contacts and chatting. :( Also the trick to make the old version work with semi functionnality no longer works now after it was working for a few weeks before.

How the heck do I fix this or figure out what is going wrong???????????

I see something similar to this when trying to log in to skype 7.xx.x.xxx versions. It just gets stuck like that

tl;dr
Problem with 6.20.0.104
Discontinued: Skype now won't allow use of the version I used for years. When attempting signing in this shows up "We’ve signed you out because you’re using an outdated version of Skype"
Hack problem: There was a trick to make old versions work that involves ticking the check box for automatically sign in, then quitting skype, backing up the old skype.exe to a different location then downloading a new allowed Skype version and sign in with that, then quit that version and open the old skype exe. This would allow me to autosign in but with any cloud function like offline messages not working i assume from a change on the server side to discourage users then after 24 hours it logs me out and says "We’ve signed you out because you’re using an outdated version of Skype" . This worked for a month but then it stopped working and wont let me stay logged in for more than a second giving me a different message i forgot what it says but it's something like "Please sign in again". Not sure if this is an error on my part or if i was a server end change they did to force people off old versions fully.

Problem with 7.17.0.104 (minimum allowed version)
Stuck on sign in eternally spinning both when trying to manually log in or auto log in. Watch the embedded video it looks similar to that.

Problem with 7.34.0.103
Same issue as 7.17.0.104 so same issue presumably exists on versions between and latest version

Specifications
Windows 7 (SP1) 64 bit
Internet explorer 11 (may not be latest update of it. How they list version info in it is confusing)
DirectX 11
3GB RAM

ISP
Hugesnet Gen4

I also have a bad HDD that causes overheating during writing or occasionally randomly and super slow startup and inability to do a "restart" without doing a shut down first or it wont start because i get a mesage how windows wonnt start from a hard drive issue. It could stop working so I'm avoiding shut downs if possible. I also want to keep all my skype history. Also windows update has a memory leak i think so I havent updated some things in about two years from that and from the HDD issues. Cant get new computer yet.

HDTune results (from some months ago)
No damaged blocks
traedApr 26, 2017 1:07 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 28, 2017 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
About the latest version of Skype. I haven't updated it, but my friend had the issue regarding on the System Sound thing as it didn't actually took it. But... yeah Skype shouldn't try to force their updates tbh, at least to me because it's pretty much a big pain. I think that's the main reason as to why my computer had to crash on me, even though I only did the system sound recording and the share screens to share something with someone x.x
Mar 28, 2017 1:03 PM

Mar 2008
@Symphyon
It's second time they did this actually. They forced it a few years ago too. I also am worried it will crash my dying computer (HDD ran out of sectors to realocate and ive not got a new comp yet). What version did you use when your computer crashed?
Mar 28, 2017 2:59 PM
Jul 2018
traed said:
@Symphyon
It's second time they did this actually. They forced it a few years ago too. I also am worried it will crash my dying computer (HDD ran out of sectors to realocate and ive not got a new comp yet). What version did you use when your computer crashed?
I need to go and check what the previous version I used but let me go and check on that in a moment.

Edit: For some reason I can't really get the version but it was before the new one because I updated before this one was released, which I don't have it. Which is very weird, but at the same time this is pretty bad because, here was the problem with the crashing:

I was showing my friend a video about a guy because of joke someone made with the two sentence with "Verlisify" and "Jesus", which made me laugh but then cringe in the process a bit. I went to YouTube, I showed him the video and with sound, and then not even two minutes and skype crashed. Few minutes later, my computer crashed. I turned it on again, nothing from the internet line worked, and then few minutes after it crashed with a blue screen. Then I had to wait an entire night for it to boot back up. I was so mad that I then screamed so hard, and then vented it on my Facebook and Discord Server on a voice call, and then just left because I was tired. I can't speak at all for now since I was sick and I had bit of stuff on my throat, so the fact that I screamed when I was almost getting better, I sound like I have a croak voice.
Mar 28, 2017 3:13 PM

Mar 2008
Symphyon said:
traed said:
@Symphyon
I need to go and check what the previous version I used but let me go and check on that in a moment.

Edit: For some reason I can't really get the version but it was before the new one because I updated before this one was released, which I don't have it. Which is very weird, but at the same time this is pretty bad because, here was the problem with the crashing:

I was showing my friend a video about a guy because of joke someone made with the two sentence with "Verlisify" and "Jesus", which made me laugh but then cringe in the process a bit. I went to YouTube, I showed him the video and with sound, and then not even two minutes and skype crashed. Few minutes later, my computer crashed. I turned it on again, nothing from the internet line worked, and then few minutes after it crashed with a blue screen. Then I had to wait an entire night for it to boot back up. I was so mad that I then screamed so hard, and then vented it on my Facebook and Discord Server on a voice call, and then just left because I was tired. I can't speak at all for now since I was sick and I had bit of stuff on my throat, so the fact that I screamed when I was almost getting better, I sound like I have a croak voice.

Hm if you dont recall maybe you know what version maybe you recall when it last was updated before then.

I had my computer crash while playing a youtube vid in the past. It might just be a poorly encoded video that did it or something to do with flash since i had read some old posts about people saying something about flash and skype but idk.
Mar 28, 2017 3:16 PM
Jul 2018
traed said:
Symphyon said:

Hm if you dont recall maybe you know what version maybe you recall when it last was updated before then.

I had my computer crash while playing a youtube vid in the past. It might just be a poorly encoded video that did it or something to do with flash since i had read some old posts about people saying something about flash and skype but idk.

Like I know it was a previous version, which was the last one before the new one but... yeah it's rather bothersome.

Maybe it had to do with the video itself, I'm not sure either so.
Mar 28, 2017 3:25 PM

Mar 2008
@Symphyon
What OS version do you use?
Mar 28, 2017 3:27 PM
Jul 2018
traed said:
@Symphyon

Online Software? Not much, but aside from Skype I use Google Chrome. I use Discord but not a lot to say the least.
Mar 28, 2017 3:30 PM

Mar 2008
Symphyon said:
traed said:
@Symphyon

Online Software? Not much, but aside from Skype I use Google Chrome. I use Discord but not a lot to say the least.

I meant operating system.
Mar 28, 2017 3:33 PM

Sep 2009
Switch to discord lel.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 28, 2017 3:46 PM

Mar 2008
MortalMelancholy said:
Switch to discord lel.

-I wouldnt be able to access my Skype history with that
-It lacks local storage of chat history
-It lacks video chat capability
-I still have some people that dont use it.
Mar 28, 2017 5:17 PM

Jan 2013
traed said:
MortalMelancholy said:
Switch to discord lel.

Do you need your skype history for any reason?
wrong
It will have that by the end of the year. Until then, voice chat.
twist their arms.
Mar 28, 2017 5:46 PM

Mar 2008
Syrup- said:
traed said:

Do you need your skype history for any reason?

Yes, what is the point of keeping logs if I cant check back on something? I need to at least get back in to save external copies. Skype logs are not in plain text so I cant open it without skype. My chat logs from all programs i talked to people on are important to me. I still have my Microsoft Messenger logs even
wrong

Since when? Last I checked just months ago it was only cloud based. I dislike cloud storage from lack of reliability of safe storage and from security issues of if someone got on my account they could read anything and everything I ever said plus it is slow to scroll back through having to load bit by bit.
It will have that by the end of the year. Until then, voice chat.

Hm I see.
twist their arms.

You're twisting mine >< Plus I have to log in to Skype to do that since for some it's my only contact method. I'm not switching right now just trying to get back into Skype without picking a bad version.
traedMar 28, 2017 6:08 PM
Mar 28, 2017 6:13 PM

Apr 2012
Mine says I'm not connected yet I could speak to anyone I wanted freely.
Now, I tried to relog so I don't get that pesky image and I can stay on my "Do Not Disturb" status without issue, and I can't relog anymore. It tells me Skype can't connect.

Meh.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Mar 28, 2017 6:20 PM

Jun 2011
traed said:
My chat logs from all programs i talked to people on are important to me. I still have my Microsoft Messenger logs even

Heh, I thought I was the only one who did that. More for sentimental value though, since I hardly ever look at them.

Mar 28, 2017 6:38 PM

Mar 2008
Immahnoob said:
Mine says I'm not connected yet I could speak to anyone I wanted freely.
Now, I tried to relog so I don't get that pesky image and I can stay on my "Do Not Disturb" status without issue, and I can't relog anymore. It tells me Skype can't connect.

Meh.

Is yours a version before 7.17? or is this just an unrelated glitch you're bringing up?

Narmy said:
traed said:
My chat logs from all programs i talked to people on are important to me. I still have my Microsoft Messenger logs even

Heh, I thought I was the only one who did that. More for sentimental value though, since I hardly ever look at them.

I have logs from back to 2008 I think. I used to use a third party program on Mac called Adium so i had all the different protocalls in one program to run at once since back then everyone used something different. I had AIM, Yahoo Messenger, and Microsoft Messenger. Only switched to Skype once Microsoft ended Messenger to push people to Skype and that was what most used so i have a few years on that. I also have Facebook logs i exported which is a good thing sincee im locked out of it atm.
Mar 28, 2017 10:57 PM

Apr 2014
I havent updated in a long time but I hexed my version of skype to say its the newest to keep it from asking to update all the time cause it was annoying o.o
Mar 29, 2017 12:11 AM
Jul 2018
the main problem i have with skype is that i've been trying to get a few of my skype friends to convert to discord, and not all of them will
Mar 29, 2017 2:35 AM

Mar 2008
I found a place to download te earliest working version but im not sure if this site is safe and will actualy install. Otherwise i will have to resort to a higher version from only months old.
http://www.skaip.org/skype-7-17-0-104-for-windows

hitokiri1859 said:
I havent updated in a long time but I hexed my version of skype to say its the newest to keep it from asking to update all the time cause it was annoying o.o

How did you do that? All ive changed before was just block ads which isnt that hard.
Mar 29, 2017 6:25 AM
Jul 2018
Skype lol. Time to use Discord.
Mar 29, 2017 8:51 AM

Apr 2015
Skype has always been a pain in the ass. Everyone's switching to Discord, but unfortunately it's much harder to get family members to use a gamer-based platform. Guess Skype will always have a market somewhere...
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Mar 29, 2017 10:19 AM

Mar 2008
I never asked if i should switch to Discord. I am trying to find a stable version of Skype that wont fry my computer sinc i havent updated in years.....no one answered anything. ._. It's not up for debate, im not going to just abandon friends never speaking to them again with no warning.

Although the worst problems seem to happen most frequent onn wn10 at least so I dont have to worry s much beiing on 7 butt still i want to know what version I can use. I will probably use the earliest version it allows sicne the one i have worked so its probably not good to go too far from that version and the only bug i saw mentioned on that one im thinking of installing if i can find it from a safe download location wit aa workable installer, is it has a bug of crashinng from cuttinng in the text box but i dont cut text anyway i just backspace or hit del so that isnt a big deal so long as it doesnt overload the ram like i heard some do.
Mar 29, 2017 3:13 PM

Mar 2008
I managed to figure out one can download old installers using archive.org acessing dead links from the official sites. I dont know if that is a good idea or not

For skype I just put in http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_(version).msi on Archives
(version) being where the version number goes.

so is that actually a safer and functional way to get old versions of skype? It was the msi files. I havent installed with the msi before, usually i always installed with skypesetup.exe so im not sure if it would setup without removing my history and whatnot but I assume the exe just downloads the msii but im not sure if doing just msi if it skips anything. Ugh...

I havent figured out what version is most stable for me to use yet though and I cant risk just trying them all sincne some are so bad it ruined some peoples computers from what I read.
Mar 30, 2017 10:06 AM

Dec 2009
I've stopped using it for a while. Chinese friends use WeChat, others use others like Whatsapp, Line etc. Some have windows app, just need to login with a cellphone. Skype is only for voice conference which is rare. The last few times I used it, it asked for updates. After updating, I've done the chatting with another app.
Mar 30, 2017 9:56 PM

Jan 2009
Guys, the Question is not what Chat Client is the best or what you're using, the Question is about how @traed can continue to read his Chatlogs comfortably.

Skype can backup the Chatlogs to an Excel-File or a XML one:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA392/how-do-i-manage-my-conversation-history-in-skype-for-windows-desktop

edit: taking Screenshots is also an Option.
NoboruMar 30, 2017 10:23 PM
Mar 30, 2017 10:28 PM

Jan 2013
Noboru said:
Guys, the Question is not what Chat Client is the best or what you're using, the Question is about how @traed can continue to read his Chatlogs comfortably.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA392/how-do-i-manage-my-conversation-history-in-skype-for-windows-desktop

Unfortunately that's not the question either. The question is which version of Skype will allow traed to continue to access Skype without updating. His computer has some issues where he can't use the latest version, I think, which is unfortunate because Microsoft is hamfisting their software onto people yet again. If he could take screenshots of his logs, he wouldn't even have made this thread.
Mar 30, 2017 10:43 PM

Jan 2009
Syrup- said:
Noboru said:

Unfortunately that's not the question either. The question is which version of Skype will allow traed to continue to access Skype without updating. His computer has some issues where he can't use the latest version, I think, which is unfortunate because Microsoft is hamfisting their software onto people yet again. If he could take screenshots of his logs, he wouldn't even have made this thread.
It would be ideally for him to still have a Version, where he can just continue to look up his History and still be able to run Skype for his Contacts.
But before trying anything with other Versions, I would backup as much as possible, even if it's with multiple RL Snapshots of the Laptop Screen.
Mar 30, 2017 10:57 PM

Jan 2013
Noboru said:
Syrup- said:
It would be ideally for him to still have a Version, where he can just continue to look up his History and still be able to run Skype for his Contacts.
But before trying anything with other Versions, I would backup as much as possible, even if it's with multiple RL Snapshots of the Laptop Screen.
Well that would be the "Side Quest" objective of this problem. The main problem is that he can't even get on Skype to chat with people because Microsoft is now saying "We see you're using an old version. Upgrade, or gtfo." I read the link you provided, and it requires being able to use Skype in the first place in order to export the history to CSV format.

Yes, he should back up stuff, especially if he can get it off the computer in some way (e.g. cloud storage, removable storage, etc.) and start experimenting to find the safest threshold for him. This isn't going to be easy.
Mar 30, 2017 11:19 PM

Mar 2008
@Syrup-
@Noboru

I actually did find a workaround that allows me to use what i was using by backing up the skype exe, updating, logging in, selecting auto login at launch, quit skype, and replace the updated skype exe with a backup of what i was using, then launch skype again or alternatively rename the original one and place it in the programs folder instead of replacing the other and run it on it's own but I decided not to try either since it only lasts a day or a wee before it kicks people off again and has to be redone and I can imagine it would cause issues from mismatched files.

So yes it is still down to figuring out what version from 7.17.0.104 and up would be usable for me to log in and still read logs, chat and make video calls without major issue. So it's a question of if older or newer versions are more stable.

I also am unsure if installing with the msi would work right since last time I installed my current version with the skypesetup.exe and I heard switching on those back and forth sometimes causes issues. So this makes me think the full skype setup exe would be better possibly, or maybe it makes no difference? I only found the full exe files on that skaip blog since the URL for the older full exes on skypes official site i couldnt locate to run through Archive. I heard conflicting info on if the msi is an offline installer but from file size i assume it is.

I have my chat logs backed up externally but if i lost them on this computer it would take over half an hour to put them back on and large file writes like that overheat things sso Im trying to avoid accidentally deleting them. I literally cool my laptop with frozen food occasionally. lol
Mar 31, 2017 11:38 AM

Jan 2009
Syrup- said:
Well that would be the "Side Quest" objective of this problem. The main problem is that he can't even get on Skype to chat with people because Microsoft is now saying "We see you're using an old version. Upgrade, or gtfo." I read the link you provided, and it requires being able to use Skype in the first place in order to export the history to CSV format.

Yes, he should back up stuff, especially if he can get it off the computer in some way (e.g. cloud storage, removable storage, etc.) and start experimenting to find the safest threshold for him. This isn't going to be easy.
Fortunately, he had already backed them up. It might be not nice to have People force Updates on you, but then again, Updates may close Security Holes. That's why I would only use the latest Version of a Messenger.

Yeah, especially when there are hardly Devices he could use to read again from and to backup to.
The MSI is just an alternative Form to pack the Installation. You can use it to silently install Programs (= without any GUI and User Interactions). Problems may occur though if you want to uninstall something and you've already "cleaned up" the Windows Installers. Else, there shouldn't be more or less Problems with installing over MSI than with a normal Executable, as long as it hasn't been tampered with.
------------------------

There's another Option to get over this Problem, however, I doubt you'll want to hear it, @traed.
Mar 31, 2017 12:42 PM

Mar 2008
@Noboru
I didnt save it as a CSV. I didnt know i could do that. I dont recall seeing that button so maybe it wasnt added till later versions, but what was the first? According to that skaip site a string for export was added in the latest version 7.34.0.102 but they couldnt find the button. Problem is this is the version i saw so many complaints of a lot of way bad issues. Although I am not sure how many of those are win 7 users. =/
Mar 31, 2017 1:46 PM

Feb 2010
Get discord its better quality.

Video chat is overrated anyway.

and it does have a chat backlog scroll up and you can see previous messages

and tell your friends to get it as well
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Mar 31, 2017 2:58 PM

Jan 2009
@traed
I haven't updated Skype for a long Time and I don't have that Button, either. (Version 7.27.80.101)

btw.: I've lost Parts of my Chat History from other Programs due to Problems with my Phone. Stuff, that could make me nostalgic. But ultimately, I find the Option to still contact them and/or others to be more important than staying overly obsessed with what I or others had written at one Point of our Lives.
The Memories still stay inside my Heart, so...

edit: Timestamps and Names are still picked up for my Version. Will update it to the latest Version and tell you whether or not it's still the Case.

2nd edit: Don't update to the latest Version, Skype has become fully retarded. Firstly, I needed to change the Internet Explorer Settings from not allowing any Cookies at all to one below and secondly, even setting it to allow all Cookies does not help. It's become thus Crapware. Well, not like I was planning to use it again, so it can just stay broken for me.

I could safely downgrade from the latest back to 7.27.0.101 (apparently, the Number after the 27 is just Information from where the Setup comes from). Don't have Windows 7 though, but 8.1.
NoboruMar 31, 2017 3:25 PM
Mar 31, 2017 4:06 PM

Jan 2013
hazerddex said:
Get discord its better quality.

Video chat is overrated anyway.

and it does have a chat backlog scroll up and you can see previous messages

and tell your friends to get it as well
Read the fucking thread. Holy shit, MAL.
Mar 31, 2017 5:50 PM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
@traed
I haven't updated Skype for a long Time and I don't have that Button, either. (Version 7.27.80.101)

btw.: I've lost Parts of my Chat History from other Programs due to Problems with my Phone. Stuff, that could make me nostalgic. But ultimately, I find the Option to still contact them and/or others to be more important than staying overly obsessed with what I or others had written at one Point of our Lives.
The Memories still stay inside my Heart, so...

edit: Timestamps and Names are still picked up for my Version. Will update it to the latest Version and tell you whether or not it's still the Case.

2nd edit: Don't update to the latest Version, Skype has become fully retarded. Firstly, I needed to change the Internet Explorer Settings from not allowing any Cookies at all to one below and secondly, even setting it to allow all Cookies does not help. It's become thus Crapware. Well, not like I was planning to use it again, so it can just stay broken for me.

I could safely downgrade from the latest back to 7.27.0.101 (apparently, the Number after the 27 is just Information from where the Setup comes from). Don't have Windows 7 though, but 8.1.

Yeah that is why I have to keep using Skype in case someone i havent spoken to in a while shows up. I sometimes lose contact with people for months or a year or so before they show up again.

So it didnt let you log in at all? Or did it ? What internet explorer version do you have? I heard some say it has to be 11 which i already have although slightly out of date version i think. Javascript has to be turned on in newer versons too i heard.

So you used the installer off that skaip site and it was safe no virus or anything? Or did you just link to it since it has a changelog better detailed than what skypes official site states?
traedMar 31, 2017 6:10 PM
Apr 1, 2017 2:15 AM

Jan 2009
@traed: If Skype is your only Method of Contact, then something else is not right.

Yep, I couldn't log in with the newest Version. Internet Explorer 11.

I checked yesterday on VT and it doesn't seem to have anything:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/ed5b4390d486f0e3ef485a1735fee2cae9087256b419cd4ce1186a035613e034/analysis/

A little Rest Risk is always there, however.
Apr 1, 2017 3:22 AM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
@traed: If Skype is your only Method of Contact, then something else is not right.

Yep, I couldn't log in with the newest Version. Internet Explorer 11.

I checked yesterday on VT and it doesn't seem to have anything:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/ed5b4390d486f0e3ef485a1735fee2cae9087256b419cd4ce1186a035613e034/analysis/

A little Rest Risk is always there, however.

I dont own a phone and most people dont check their emails these days and im currently locked out of facebook for security reasons from a screw up on their security system and everyone I care about most lives in other US states or foreign countries so I cant talk in person and those that are in my state I cannt get to anyway from not having transport.

Oh that's odd but I did see other people mention that issue. Updates seem to roll out every two or three weeks though so maybe it would be fixed idk. So you didnt have that issue on 7.27? Although you havent used skype much to begin with so maybe it has other bugs youre not aware of :/ hmmm ... would help if someonne here wit windows 7 that uses skype could tell me what verssion worked well or what versions had the worst bugs.

Rest risk? IDK what that means
Apr 1, 2017 4:22 AM
Jul 2018
I know you are probably sick of hearing that you should switch to discord.

But switch to discord.
Apr 1, 2017 5:53 AM

Jan 2013
Darek said:

But switch to discord.
Literally not an option for him. I've talked to him at length about it in the past, especially right before I dropped Skype and told him I'm not sticking around just for him.

traed said:
hmmm ... would help if someonne here wit windows 7 that uses skype could tell me what verssion worked well or what versions had the worst bugs.

thing is, even people who fit that requirement wouldn't take the time to write down the version number, let alone look at it, if they noticed a buggy version. Even less people think "hey this version is working fine, let's check the version number." It's kinda like how you don't know how great it is to not be sick until you actually get sick.

Some research will work, but ultimately your own computer has unique problems which will decide whether or not a version will work. What you're going to have to do is pure trial and error.
Syrup-Apr 1, 2017 5:57 AM
Apr 1, 2017 6:02 AM
Jul 2018
Syrup- said:
Darek said:

But switch to discord.
Literally not an option for him. I've talked to him at length about it in the past, especially right before I dropped Skype and told him I'm not sticking around just for him.
But like why, skype has only one advantage over discord which is the video chat.

And no one uses skype anymore.
Apr 1, 2017 9:35 AM

Jan 2009
@Oxalias: Wasn't intended as a Joke, but good for you that it made you laugh

@traed: there are more Ways of Communication on Earth than just Skype, Facebook or a Smart Phone. What about writing Letters, using the House Phone for Calls, using another Social Media Site, using multiple Forums, using different Chat Clients, etc.?
Point is, if you and your Contacts are really relevant to each other, then all of you will try to find as much Backup-Forms of Communication as possible, especially when a RL Visit isn't possible.

Nope, 7.27 logged in still fine (with Internet Explorer Cookies allowed). For Bugs, there was something about Group-Chats mentioned in the Comments. But since I've never used the Functionality, I couldn't care less.

Rest Risk means I'm putting a Disclaimer that I'm not responsible for whatever happens if you do download and run it. But considering that the File is digitally signed and from over 50 Virus Scanners, not even a single one seemed to detect anything, the Chances are low.
Besides, I haven't found anything strange myself.

The only Thing I'm missing are Checksums from the official Page.
Apr 1, 2017 12:14 PM

Mar 2008
@Darek
If i had Discord I'd still need Skype to keep in contact with certain people so this isnt a solution. Also not true that no one uses it anymore . A lot of my friends do and they didnt bring up Discord some dont know about it and some dont want to change.

@Syrup-
I might get Discord later once i have a new computer so I can run it along side skype. If I feel it has what i need in control of chat history for deletion from the cloud and keepig local storage both I might wind up using it more. You said it does have local storage. Do you have aa source on that I could read onn how they handle logs? Last i checked it was only cloud stored annd i keeps everything in cloud which bothers me if i cant both keep logs locally but have them automatically leave the cloud after ssome time. If it cant do that i still might use it but just not as my primary go to messenger.

Yeah most people just say latest version so i have to check release dates to see what they meant which is time costly. I cant wait muc longer so i might go with a lower version number if i think it might be safe since it's easier to soothly upgrade thann downgrade. In general terms for programs would that make sense? Or should i assume the earlier versions would be more buggy:/

@Noboru
Some I can't call from them not having a cell either and their parents dont like calls especially late at night and it's costly to call long distance and some dont have a home phone service. I have some on forums but a few are shut down no longer existing or they stopped going on it. Mail costs money and is too slow for a good conversation to pass time with. Most other chat programs people use are for mobile and i dont have a phone and I used to have a tablet but it broke. I have the email of some but some I lost and I also am locked out of one of my email accounts for security since it throught it was hijacked from my browser spoofing chaanging midway through use or something. I do try to get backup forms of contact but sometimes they sstop using those or i lose it and some vanished so i cant ask them for other contact info. Why do i have to explain this like im on trial? :/

Okay I will take note of that

Im not too familiar with checksums. It's a familiar word but i dont know what that is right now
Apr 1, 2017 1:30 PM

Jan 2009
@traed
you aren't on Trial, it's just the most People (including myself) find it weird why you need one specific Program to keep in Contact with specific People.
I didn't say that every Suggestion has to apply to everyone. Phone Calls work best when you're in the same State and don't have to pay additional Fees.
Mail doesn't cost that much Money and you can spend more Time with an elaborate Reply, kind of like an extended Profile Comment where you talk about everything that has happened since last Time, how you feel and what else came to Mind.
Btw.: What do you do when they simply don't come on Skype anymore?

The Checksum guarantees you, that you really have the Setup that a Site claims it has and that it hasn't been corrupted in any Form on the Way from the Download to your Computer.
Good Developers include Hash-Values on their Download Page, so you can be sure that the Program you've downloaded is the legit Thing.

You can use HashTab for comparing the Values.
For the Skype Setup for Example, you see the MD5 Values. You mark the Number-Letter-Combination, copy it, right click on the File, go to File Properties, check the Tab with the Hash Values and the Rest does the Utility, provided you have HashTab installed and MD5 in the Field (Rightlick in the Box with the Hash Values to open Menu).

Hash Values with at least MD5 are there to identify unique Files. CR32 is the Checksum used for Archives, it's not really recommended imho, as the Checksum can go for multiple Files.
MD5 isn't that secure, either. That's why VirusTotal includes SHA-256 for each File. You may also run into SHA-1 that is also often mentioned, which is better than MD5, but still worse than SHA-256, since it's already possible to make two different Files with the same SHA-1 Signature:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3173791/security/stop-using-sha1-it-s-now-completely-unsafe.html
The highest I've seen in Use was SHA-512 for the Cyberfox Setup. It's when you click on download there and on the left for the Pop-up Window, you can download the Checksums, which you can open with an Editor (I recommend Notepad ++) and compare the Values of the Setups (I use SHA-512).
Apr 1, 2017 2:35 PM

Mar 2008
@Noboru
Since some arent around for me to get their latest info. For those not on skype anymore some arent anywhrere else either they just got busy and dont go online.

So if I used an installer from skype site downloaded through Archive it would have the checsum of archive nnot skype? o.o
Apr 1, 2017 2:52 PM

Jan 2009
@traed
That's the Crux of the Matter. It simply means you aren't important enough for them.

As long as the Checksums are the same, it shouldn't matter from where you download something. Problem is, that to know the right Checksums, you need to get the Information from the Developer.
Apr 1, 2017 3:20 PM

Mar 2008
@Noboru
Why are you being such a cunt? I didn't say they refused to give me other contact info just I didnt try get it for them all. Most dont anticipate problems with programs they use to communicate so they dont find it necisary to bring up. Some people are hard to reach.

Oh Skype doesnt seem to be so good at reporting on stuff like that or I probably woula ran across it by now since eaach version probably has it's own number right?
Apr 1, 2017 3:33 PM

Jan 2009
@traed
I simply state how Things are. If Skype is your only Link to reach them, you have never been that important to them or respectively, they haven't been that important to you so far. And well, most People don't give anything about old Logs or a specific Program, so you've got to decide what is more important to you: still staying stuck in the Past or finally moving on. If you absolutely want to talk to someone and you can only do so on Skype, you'll have to take the Risk yourself with Updating and notify the other Party about other Contact Information as soon as possible.

Yes, and the other Problem is, that the easiest Download you can find from the official Site is the Online Installer, which has a different Size and thus different Values.
NoboruApr 1, 2017 3:40 PM
Apr 1, 2017 3:42 PM

Mar 2008
@Noboru
I have multiple contact methods for people i talked to longer annd care about more but sometimes emails shut down from expiration of not logging in, people get banned from sites, sites shut down, phone numbers change, or they just get down feeling and dont talk to anyone including in person. I dont always have latest info on some or sometimes multiple conact points fail. Obviously i donnt bother for some since some ive not known long or never talked much but I never implied i do bother with everyone.

I assume using archive is alright sinnce how i leaned i could do that was from people downloading old skype that way

I actually found out that history export is only added in the code. The button to use it isnt available for most users yet so it wont show up till later releases.
Apr 1, 2017 4:04 PM

Jan 2009
@traed
There will be always Disadvantages for People with a long, geographical Distance.

Ah you mean the Wayback Machine by the Internet Archive?
That Site is safe; it saves Snapshots from various Websites. The Question is though, whether the Link to the Download would still contain the old Files, even if you can access them, which I highly doubt.

Well, you can just wait until the Function is use-able and there will have been plenty of Reports about it in the Skype Forums and on various other Sites. And maybe, you can ask on the Skype Forums directly about any Skype-specific Question you have, since there are more likely User there, who use Skype with W7.
Apr 1, 2017 4:35 PM

Mar 2008
@Noboru
yah i know.. it sucks :/

Yes wayback machine. I test downloaded an msi file from it and it was 40mb... so it has something in it. Also other people online did it that way and i havent seen any say it failed them.

I guess i may go with 7.17.0.104 since im not finding any bugs reported on it and no login isues, onlly bug is from a minor one and i already have it downloded but i will have to look back on older version bugs in case it has bugs from even older versions.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Exploring the Intersection of Games, Computers, and Tech Support: A Guide for Android App Development Companies in Saudi Arabia

johnsrp - 9 hours ago

0 by johnsrp »»
9 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
11 hours ago

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
Yesterday, 6:16 PM

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 5:59 PM

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 5:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.