Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 26, 2017 11:07 PM
Feb 2017
As a long time viewer of western animation, there are certain shows that will always have a place in my heart. Among them were Mickey Mouse, Rugrats, Jackie Chan Adventures, Samurai Jack, Justice League, Futurama and many more. There was one show that stood above them all. That show was called the Simpsons.

http://static.tvgcdn.net/rovi/showcards/tvshow/100521/thumbs/16922131_1200x1600.jpg

The Simpsons has been known for many things ranging for its “D-Oh” or the “Why You Little –“. For a long time, there wasn’t a piece of animation from the East that could measure up to this cultural behemoth. Until I saw a little anime that was made by little people that consequently grew into a smashing hit. What is this anime? Little Witch Academia.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/hotlink-full/encyc/A14940-2633375662.1466989017.jpg

Little Witch Academia was made by Yoh Yoshinari and produced by Studio Trigger whose responsible for many shows such as Kill La Kill and Inferno Cop. Little Witch Academia was a show centering on the exploits of Atsuko Kagari or Akko for short. Her goal in life is to become a great witch. Joining in her adventures are roommates, Lotte and Sucy and each provide a blend of flavour to Akko’s spicy personality.

Now, I’m over explaining. The real meat is why I consider Little Witch Academia the Simpsons of Anime.

The very thing I noticed in Little Witch Academia is the similarities between itself and the Simpsons. While the premise and overall themes are totally distinct but the one thing they have in common is that each episode they had has a hidden message behind them and this in turn presents the shows in a better light.

The Simpsons isn’t just about dealing with the ups and downs of families, the show tackles on others such as alcoholism, politics, culture and more. Little Witch Academia despite dealing with the World of Magic also centres around themes such as inspirations, dream goals, honour and more.

Another thing they had in common is that the common clichés aren’t what you expect them to be but this isn’t a bad thing. It’s what makes things that exciting cause you never know what’s life going to throw at you.

In addition to the above, both shows have similar characters.
Akko’s counterpart is Homer. They are both characters that incredibly defied the stereotypes of their kind in other forms of animation and media. Most importantly, they are both travellers. Although you might not think about it a lot but the shows always has us looking at these vast, incredible worlds from their perspectives. Akko’s and Homer’s journey is a rough road but in doing so, they learned and gained experience. Hence, they became better characters themselves. Akko’s dream has always been to be like Shiny Chariot and Homer’s goal is to have a successful life for and towards his family. As time passed, they soon see that everything is a bit reversed what they expected but even with that, that didn’t stop them as they always has this fiery passion to moving on and made things more intriguing. Another thing they have in common is their ability to sacrifice their dreams for the wellbeing of others.

Lotte’s counterpart is Lisa. Both are intelligent and passionate towards a form of art. However beneath the brainy exterior, Lotte and Lisa (prior to her extremist ways) are just girls wanting to have a great time.

Sucy’s counterpart is Bart. This might be one thing fans could agree on. Sucy and Bart are the pranksters of their worlds. One could even say that Sucy is Bart if he changed gender. Both always finds a way to aggravate the main characters particularly, Akko and Homer. Thankfully, Akko hadn’t done anything to harm Sucy unlike Homer. But what’s most fascinating is the similarities in terms of their soft spots. Even with all the pranking arsenal they had, the fact is that both use these to cope with the general idea that they won’t become anything of importance. However, they always had someone or ones to return to. Even though these characters have clashing personalities, Akko will always be friends with Sucy and Homer will always be Bart’s father.

Ursula’s counterpart is Marge. Both are authoritative figures and while they had to deal with the antics of other characters, their ability to forgive is something to admire. Although if I had to pick, Ursula is the best choice as Ursula is Marge done right.

Diana’s counterpart is Flanders. Well there is one more thing that Akko and Homer both share. They are always under the shadow of some ones who are clearly better than them. Diana and Flanders are both well loved by their peers but something needed to bring into discussion is that both have a dark secret underneath it all. Both have issues with some form in their past. Flanders was moulded after lack of discipline by his parents and had to be sent to a place to be corrected. Diana’s past is unknown but given how Witches view Shiny Chariot, someone Diana deeply admired in her youth, it leaves little to wonder what might be the source of it. Another thing they both displayed is their relationship with the main characters. Flanders always loves his pal, Homer who in turn robs him of the former’s possessions while as for Diana clearly might see Akko as a friend and secretly wanted to save her from the ridicule Chariot and fans of Chariot had suffered.

Hannah and Barbara’s counterparts are Patty and Selma. These duos always antagonize the main character either pettiness or jealousy.

Amanda’s counterpart is Nelson. It wasn’t the badboy/girl image that caught me. It’s the depths they had that surprised. Nelson’s best moments was his relationship with Lisa and Marge, two who I despised but somehow Nelson made me sympathize them and I had to root for Nelson in punching Bart for being an ungrateful son. Amanda’s relationship with Akko may had started in a rocky start but to be honest, Amanda has shown to have a protective side in defending Akko from Diana. It shows that these two characters have some nobility within them.

Constanze’s counterpart is Professor Frink. Both are inventors but Constanze is silent while Frink is failing in conversation.

Jazmine’s counterpart is Barney. Both are overly compassionate in what they eat/drink.

That doesn’t end there. Other characters have their counterparts. Halbrooke and Superintendent Chalmers, Finneran and Principal Skinner, Shiny Chariot and Krusty the Klown, Wangari and Kent Brockman, Fafnir and Mr. Burns, the guy who ran the magic café and Comic Book Guy and Professor Pisces and Blinky. The list goes on and on.

Overall, this is how I feel that Little Witch Academia is the “Simpsons” of Anime. Beneath of their mockery of clichés and parody of famous films and shows, both shows has provided important messages to help us understand ourselves and move towards a brighter future.
Mar 27, 2017 6:08 AM

Dec 2012
Don't quit your day job.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Mar 27, 2017 9:31 AM

Dec 2015
You can take characters from the Simpsons and compare them to any show that has come since. And this is because the Simpsons has such a massive cast of diverse characters that they manage to cover pretty much every conceivable character trait.
Mar 27, 2017 9:48 AM

Apr 2016
Such a long and completely pointless post you have here OP.
Mar 27, 2017 3:22 PM

Oct 2010
Another thing they had in common is that the common clichés aren’t what you expect them to be but this isn’t a bad thing. It’s what makes things that exciting cause you never know what’s life going to throw at you.

I think most people would take for granted that subverting clichés/tropes "isn’t a bad thing." :) That's why the Deadpool film was a hit with the general public. Slightly less recently, Shrek (2001) and The Incredibles (2004) were both pitched as genre subversions (the latter's earliest teaser was a clip of a fat Mr. Incredible struggling to put his belt on). A textbook example is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969), which subverted macho westerns by having one of its protagonist outlaws be afraid of falling into water, unable to swim. I thought little of that, but to my university professor, it was brilliant.

For a long time, there wasn’t a piece of animation from the East that could measure up to this cultural behemoth.

Aside from any character similarities, what is it that you're looking for and not finding in other anime?

...themes such as inspirations, dream goals, honour and more.

...their ability to sacrifice their dreams for the wellbeing of others.

...important messages to help us understand ourselves and move towards a brighter future.

Is that it? Or did you find those attributes in other anime shows, but not find their casts of characters as much to your taste?

It looks like you've probably seen a lot more anime than you've listed, so I have to ask: how much Ghibli have you watched?

And y'know... in terms of "measuring up to this cultural behemoth," I myself have barely seen any Simpsons, but I hear it was good for at least eight or nine seasons. That's a lot to measure up to. How about a long-running anime that never went bad? Gintama. I'm not even a fan, I have it on hold at 12 episodes, but the consensus is that it has everything you praised in those lines I quoted - the subversive comedy and the positive, uplifting morals. Fans either say that it's maintained its quality, or has only gotten better, over its eleven years and 328 episodes to date.
Mar 27, 2017 5:21 PM

Dec 2013
I guess its somewhat right, but like the previous people said, this is like so much other things, and little witch has a different type of humour (not really based around humour) and has an actual story.

. Lots of anime's tend to have much deeper meanings within each episodes, like literally most of the top animes have deeper meanings.

Althought, i won't say your comparison is terrible.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2017

152 by LFC123 »»
Mar 21, 1:12 AM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 5, 2017

116 by Sr_Caneca »»
Mar 7, 3:57 PM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2017

159 by Sr_Caneca »»
Mar 7, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2017

310 by HoneyBees91 »»
Feb 28, 12:06 PM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2017

186 by trueauracoral »»
Feb 18, 7:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.