Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 23, 2017 1:13 AM
Mar 2016
Hey everyone,

for drawing inspiration I am searching for Manga with a very rough, wild, primeval, savage Artstyle. Something which tells you on first glance, that the Artist put all his burning hatred and frustration into it. I imagine something with rather edgy and inky outlines, as well as a rather low number of strokes.

This may sound very vague, but if I had a clearer image of what i was searching for, I wouldnt need to search for it anymore ;) So I hope you get the vibe of my description and can recommend me what comes to your mind!
Feb 23, 2017 1:23 AM

Sep 2014
Do you want something that is rough but also high detail or that it looks like its almost been rushed?
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Feb 23, 2017 1:24 AM

Jun 2012
Gantz and tokyo ghoul always drift first to my thoughts regarding wild and edgy sketches.
Feb 23, 2017 1:31 AM

Jan 2016
Something like this?

Feb 23, 2017 1:59 AM
Mar 2016
Menzo- said:
Do you want something that is rough but also high detail or that it looks like its almost been rushed?

I guess the line between rushed and rough may be kinda blurred. I can imagine, that some artists tend to a more "rough" impression, when they rush their drawings. But in general I am looking for a intentional and well-executed roughness. So basically: I guess "high-detail" is not really the term, because it would be understood as reducing the abstraction, adding more grey scales etc, whats kinda contrary to what I am looking for. I would call it "high effort", what may include drawings on the more abstract side as well.
I am NOT looking for the sketchy and rather blurry-scribbly art, that is used in sketching concepts and drawing storyboards. I guess that might also answer @Johnnyd3rp s question: While I dont dislike the picture you posted, it feels way more on the quick-sketch side of art, with a huge amount of strokes and a rather blurry expression (excluding the Arm of the guy on the right, I kinda like that one, but well, its only the arm, may very well be accidental).

@Zaphkiel: Tokyo ghoul may have its degree of "wildness", but I think thats way more the composition than the actual drawing style: The strokes are very smooth and round and everything looks a little bit "synthetic" imo. Same goes for Gantz I guess!

Hope that helps a little bit to clarify?
Feb 23, 2017 2:46 AM

Sep 2014
@Overfoxed Maybe something like this? (Kengan Ashura)

when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Feb 23, 2017 3:19 AM

Sep 2011
Overfoxed said:
@Zaphkiel: Tokyo ghoul may have its degree of "wildness", but I think thats way more the composition than the actual drawing style: The strokes are very smooth and round and everything looks a little bit "synthetic" imo. Same goes for Gantz I guess!

Hope that helps a little bit to clarify?

Just saying but when you reference someone with @ use their full nick I was the one who got the notification instead of the guy you where trying to reply.
Feb 23, 2017 7:19 AM

Apr 2014
Interesting request (maybe it should have been in the request forum, that being said)

Feels really hard to get what you really are looking for, though, but what you say here :
very rough, wild, primeval, savage Artstyle. Something which tells you on first glance, that the Artist put all his burning hatred and frustration into it
It make me think of "The World Is Mine" by HidekiArai (but maybe it's more the content of the manga than the actual art style that make me say that, I'm not sure.. but it's worth trying to look at).

What makes it hard for me to help you is that for what you request, I'm having a hard time to think about stuff with "low number of strokes" and without a "sketchy and rather blurry-scribbly art" , because to me those are exactly what wild, savage and viceral feelings create for an artist and his style.

Well, if you want you can always wander into my club, The Manga Gallery (check my signature and click it), there is some chance you'll find something that fit for what you want.
Feb 23, 2017 10:19 AM
Jul 2018
Thread Moved from Manga Discussion
Feb 23, 2017 10:58 AM
Jul 2018
Maybe Dorohedoro or Blame!
Feb 23, 2017 11:07 AM
Jan 2017
Shin Mazinger Zero most definitely.
Feb 23, 2017 12:27 PM
Mar 2016
@MechaFan-RX-78-2 & @Ethereid

Thanks alot! All 3 of your recommendations come VERY close to what I imagined! Ill go study those Artworks alot! If you still know something similar, feel free to let me know! :)
Feb 23, 2017 12:58 PM

Oct 2016
Blade of the Immortal maybe?
Feb 23, 2017 1:06 PM
Jan 2017
Overfoxed said:

Thanks alot! All 3 of your recommendations come VERY close to what I imagined! Ill go study those Artworks alot! If you still know something similar, feel free to let me know! :)

If you want even more rough then watch Getter Robo: Armageddon.

13 episode OVA. Lots of action and even more sketchy lines.
Feb 24, 2017 10:07 AM
Jul 2018
Overfoxed said:

A few more:

Biomega
Sidonia no Kishi
Kurozuka
Shigurui
Feb 24, 2017 10:19 AM

Jan 2009
maybe thick lines will do like

Mob Psycho 100 (anime TV)
Hells (anime movie)
Shin Getter Robo (anime OVA)

More topics from this board

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

18 by mo_lave »»
35 seconds ago

» Any anime/manga with birds as the main focus?

doomteensy - May 3

8 by mo_lave »»
5 minutes ago

» Pls recommend manga with awesome art-style and story, not restricted to any genre. Any hidden gems. I really liked dorohedoro, summer time renderer, koe no katachi, nana to kaoru, donten prism solar car and eye shield 21, to name a few.

Losvayne - 55 minutes ago

4 by mo_lave »»
10 minutes ago

» Best horror anime?

Matteye - Apr 27

26 by Eleben »»
41 minutes ago

» Any sort of smut where someone isn't innocent to the degree of not seeming human?

isseixkoneko - Yesterday

3 by JoeChip »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.