Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2017 7:35 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
A guy with female attributes...
He should get a sex change but then again, it's not possible according to the regeneration blessing.

What a tough world to be in.
Feb 13, 2017 1:41 PM

Nov 2015
I really felt bad for Togata.

Feb 13, 2017 10:33 PM

Mar 2015
identitity crysis instensify!!!
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 5, 2017 6:47 PM

Apr 2013
I wasn't expecting Fire Punch to address trans issues.
May 5, 2020 12:10 PM
Jul 2018
Hmm... I don't know...

It's not often you see something of this caliber addressing trans and LGBT issues.

In a way, I'm not happy about it. I'm not anti-LGBT or anything -- power to the people. But at the same time, it almost feels like whoever made this manga is using it as either a "self-insert" or they're trying to educate people on what it feels like to be trans. It feels a bit forced.

But then again, it's REALLY not often you see something like this in a manga to begin with. Perhaps they really are just exemplifying the IRL dilemma certain demographics face for plot purposes.

So, yeah, I definitely see the pain Togata is going through. I feel bad for 'them' to a certain extent. It is a tragic state of mind to have. Feeling like you're one thing and incapable of being another. (Which is what IRL trans go through.) ... Not to mention, they incorporated this topic with a regeneration ability, so a sex change operation is literally impossible for Togata. They must infinitely face being a gender they don't identify with...

And YET...

I kinda hate how the manga is trying to equate a trans person being born with an identity they're unsatisfied with TO burning alive for eight years and constantly being in physical pain. I mean, I'll empathize with Togata, but you can't expect me to believe that her dilemma is in anyway similar to Agni's (unless her past was filled with the death of loved ones as well).

But what also pi$$es me off is how angry she gets with Agni over such trivial matters. Agni clearly doesn't mind Togata's case. He won't think of her (/him?) any differently. Why is Togata going nuts? I'll go ahead and assume it's because they're somewhat sociopathic on account of being 300+ years old.

I don't mind LGBT issues being used as a plot device, so I guess there was no need to make the rant. But something felt very "off" about this chapter. I can't believe the mind-reader exposing Togata's inner conflict was enough to make her consider storming off for good, professing her hatred for the vulnerable Agni, blasting him with a gun, etc. I mean, it doesn't matter how bad your gender crisis is, you've got poor little Agni over here in a constant pitiable state and a large dependence. Pull it together Togata. The bottom line is, Agni's opinion of you or feelings about you aren't gonna change because of something so stupid. You can be unsatisfied with your biological sex all you want to, but there are bigger issues at hand, and hopefully this manga isn't trying to compare the gruesome issues of the Ice World to wanting to be born as a male.

I was tempted to say that Togata is lucky that she doesn't live in a world that discriminates against her kind of ideals, but then I remembered the homosexual men who Togata was first seen with. So I guess -- despite being in the distant future -- much of the world still persecutes those with Togata's mindset.

Another thing .. I feel like there is a bigger picture to Togata's stress. She kind of ended her rant in saying that Agni was blessed with a desirable appearance, only mentioning 'sex' as an aspect-of-many. I think she's also jealous of his physique, and the flaming attribute in general. Maybe.

So... is this why she was drawn to Agni in the first place? His appearance? In a past chapter, she DID confess this to be a primary reason for her "infatuation" with him.
Nov 8, 2020 2:32 AM

Nov 2008
"You like the funny, crazy, female version of Togata, don't you?" - i feel like these words were addressed to us - the reader, rather than to Agni, because that's exactly what i think about the whole gender dysphoria element introduced in latest chapters.
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Nov 28, 2020 2:45 AM

Feb 2020
I don't really know how to feel about this chapter...

I was not expecting LGBT+ issues to be discussed in this manga. I mean, I'm not mad about it and it's actually pretty nice that a theme like this is present in a shounen manga but I also really liked Togata and I was glad to finally find a female character I really enjoy since all my favorite characters are usually guys.

I guess it doesn't actually change anything since Togata's character is the same even if they're not a woman. I'm just a bit sad that I still haven't find a good waifu, I really thought she was the one lol
Mar 3, 2021 3:53 AM
May 2020
the mentality of a male but the bod of a female
Apr 6, 2021 7:22 AM

Jul 2019
Damn, that's deep. Didn't expect Togata to be a man. Only wanting to change that they just lost their mind now. rip.
May 2, 2021 7:44 PM

Jan 2020
he didn't really have to go in that hard with the words

Jul 13, 2021 1:33 PM

Jan 2013
either togata is a male trapped in a physically female body or the other way around. i'd take the purplepill if i were him/her. what a complex multidimensional character trait.
Aug 4, 2021 11:16 PM
Jul 2018
damn, never seen anything more true... kinda sad that it was relatable in a way but respect to the author. absolutely wonderfully beautiful strange and unique but amazing works and pretty based ngl, this guy might be one of my new favourites soon...
Aug 7, 2021 11:58 AM
Sep 2020
This was not at all where I thought Togata's story was going <.< I hope that it's handled nicely!
Nov 27, 2021 10:39 AM
May 2021
Good trans rep in a shounen manga! Not that this is a first or anything, but it's nice to see! This manga just gets better.
Mar 8, 2022 3:12 AM
Oct 2020
First time I’ve seen any manga properly deal with a trans character. For me it’s realistic and relatable, though I’m a trans female, and not a trans male, I still feel for Togata. He’s going through a lot.
Jul 7, 2022 7:27 PM
Jun 2019
Really didn't expect this at all from Togata. I want to see where this goes
Oct 21, 2022 4:34 AM

Sep 2014
Well I did not expect this level of thought from Fire Punch, Fujimoto just keeps surprising me
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Dec 13, 2022 5:09 AM
Apr 2021
in 19 pages it represents and normalizes transexuality better than progressive western industry and politics has done in all its years of existence.
Jan 3, 2023 6:20 PM

Jan 2021
The troubles of being transgender... I do feel so bad for Togata, he is mentally a man in every way but was born into the body of a female and he hates that and it makes him hate life but he can't get a sex change because of his regeneration "blessing" that is just such a shame. Hopefully something good happens to him because I feel bad for him. Fujimoto is such a good mangaka and this is why, he just does what he wants unlike many other series who don't do things in case people don't like it
Mar 3, 2023 10:50 AM

Jan 2023
Wow, this chapter was quite unexpected.
Jul 9, 2023 12:05 PM
Jan 2020
thank you fujimoto tatski for actually representing trans people in the manga/anime sphere without making them "traps"
Oct 23, 2023 2:53 PM
Jul 2022
I haven't been commenting on any of the other chapter discussions but this one caught me completely off guard. This was a really beautiful chapter and was completely unexpected. And like many other people have said, this is something I never expected to read in a shonen manga with this gravitas and brevity, just really blown away by how well Fujimoto can write a character. I hated Togata at the beginning with him filming and cheering on Neneto's rape, but over time have gradually found myself appreciating his role in the story more and more.
Mar 23, 1:01 PM
Aug 2021
This manga just out of nowhere addressed the issue of being trans in a very interesting way. Crazy

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fire Punch Chapter 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 1, 2016

8 by Kizuki01 »»
Apr 20, 3:24 PM

Poll: » Fire Punch Chapter 20 Discussion

nmyhv1 - Sep 20, 2016

25 by Kizuki01 »»
Apr 11, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Fire Punch Chapter 1 Discussion

catullus_d_rus - Apr 25, 2016

42 by Gamakchii »»
Apr 10, 8:51 AM

Poll: » Fire Punch Chapter 19 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2016

8 by Kizuki01 »»
Apr 4, 4:29 PM

Poll: » Fire Punch Chapter 46 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2017

20 by CaviarSandwiches »»
Apr 4, 2:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.