Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 10, 2017 8:22 AM

Jul 2007
Oh yay we are now officially in the "let's shill the marysue rose" phase of Zestiria when whatever there is of a "story" starts to fall apart completely. Yay.

Either way it is not a surprise that even rewriting some of the plot did absolutely nothing in fixing Rose as a character in anyway. You can't fix the fundamentally broken logic on which the character is written or the absolute braindead WORSHIP that the narrative has for her as a character. Both in the game and here I literally felt like the developers were literally in love with her character or the VA who voices her or something, because this is "Motomu Toryama's obsession with Lightning" level of creepy worship of a character. The narrative urges you to be AMAZED at her to LIKE her to LOVE her and yet the execution and all the mary-sue-ish shilling just makes you not care about her and wish Alisha had far bigger role. Ant it gets so much worse along the way as the plot becomes more and more incomprehensible. .

Directing and music-wise, its the same old average-looking zestiria. Same type of poor storyboarding, same lack of creativity in scene transitions, same "safe" directing. Nothing new to say about that really as I already said most of it before.

Hey at least the OP Is somewhat better than the first one. No more fighting that looks like disco dancing. The song is a bit too lethargic for my taste but the vocals are decent and there's some actually decent scene composition in the OP too, even though it feels more like the ED and the end of the OP really feels weirdly put together(when the MC shows his forms and shit).

2/5 for this episode. Nobody could fix this portion of story and there's no real action to offset the poor writing yet. Why Zestiria even got adapted is a god damn mystery.

At this point I am just hoping to the gods that Berseria hijacks this story soon enough and we don't have to deal with this mess. Because as hilarious as it sounds - the plot DOES get even worse than this. And after experiencing Velvet's characterization, Sorey's Mr-Adventure-Hero bland arse behavior is just so damn unbearably annoying.

Velvet being in the OP makes me hopeful that the infinitely better character cast and storyline will soon replace the utter trainwreck of Zestiria's second half, hopefully leading to a proper Berseria adaptation. "Rose and Sorey's Boyscout Adventures" being adapted while Berseria does not would be a damn injustice to the world.
AhenshihaelJan 10, 2017 8:26 AM
Jan 10, 2017 9:41 AM

Jul 2016
thepath said:
Rose looks more evil than the game. I don't remember she killed any human in the game

She did :)

Besides, they are assassin. You wouldn't be much of an assassin if you don't kill people!

Jan 10, 2017 9:54 AM
Trickster

Jun 2011
It's nice to be back. A fairly solid start I'd say. Happy to see Lilah the waifu again.

The episode served as an introduction back into things, whiich is why it felt fairly slow. I wonder what Sorey would think of Rose if he knew what she did for the Scattered Bones?
Jan 10, 2017 12:03 PM

Oct 2011
new season yay. Amazing Op song
Jan 10, 2017 12:05 PM

May 2016
Let's start this ufotable masterpiece where you can smell a budget from a 10 kilometers.
Jan 11, 2017 1:25 AM

Jun 2013
and it's back and it wasn't that freat mostly just talk
Jan 11, 2017 3:40 AM

Jul 2015
Aaaaahhhhhh looking absolutely fantastic again I see. Can't imagine what kind of budget they would need to produce an anime like this. Anyway, good first episode in my opinion.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jan 11, 2017 8:34 AM

May 2015
not much happened this ep other than catching weed smugglers.
and rose's deep voice reminds me of lilypichu .-.
Jan 11, 2017 1:58 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
I was a fan of both the game and the first season of the anime and i was glad to hear that it was renewed for a second season

Hmm an intro by Lailah eh
She's one of my fav characters on the series so thats a good thing to see

Lol the Mc's being surprised that Rose actually works as a merchant
Lol but it look them that long to notice that those guys looked shifty eh
while the seraphs have already picked up on this

Lol first rule of scamming people is to know the facts of your good first
something these two dolts should learn lol

Lol so they thought that they could threaten Rose eh
Big mistake lol
But man Rose that was quick work

Lol Dezel just casually lending a hand there
Lol Rose completely ignoring the instructions for the tea
Just like her i guess

Sorey has gotten more powerful since the last season
and more wise as well
Sorey still has a long way to go as Edna said but he's making some good progress

Lol but Sorey can be easy to deceive sometimes
Hmm so they department stores in that era then did they lol
ah so they are across the border in Rolance at this time then eh

Hmm thats a pretty large warehouse
But for the sparrowfeathers warehouses are pretty important
Lol Sorey the one who barbecued the dragon eh

Mayvin sure looks to be a interesting character
Rose sure is popular and well liked by many eh lol
But with her personality of being honest and fair its no surprise
Lol Rose always has an angle that she works eh

Well being seeked out by the countries rulers and its military is to be expected
since Sorey is the Shepard after all
Well things were getting tense between Rose and the knights but good thing Mayvin defused it his way lol

Sorey despite being the Shepard is still as curious as when he was a kid lol
Its nice that Sorey still remembers the dragon and Edna's brother as well
Hmm so the man that Mayvin met was the same person that Lailah served eh
the previous Shepard

Thats some interesting questions that the previous Shepard raised there though
Lol the knight commander finally breaks his silence and drinks a lot of alcohol

Hmm so Rose has a mission with the order eh
Targeting a corrupt bishop this time eh
should be interesting

The assassins are as skilled as ever though
Ceremonial guards will stand no chance against them
True if the fund is a emergency reserve then surely there is no need to silence those that have discovered it right
Kudos to the bishop in that he was brave enough to stand up to the assassins

Good episode as always
Good to see that the series is still on form with animation and story
not to mention voice acting
Seems as though Alisha won't be in this series given that they are in another country. Sad to see her not be here and by extension her seiyuu Ai Kayano sama as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2017 6:33 PM

Oct 2015
Thank goodness the show pointed out three times that Rose was an assassin in this episode. If it was just twice or four times I would have had some suspicions.
Jan 12, 2017 2:14 AM

Mar 2013
It was good to see show again.

I totally forgot about Rose being an assassin. I was wondering what could be the bad thing? lol
Jan 12, 2017 11:22 PM

Sep 2016
looking forward to whats to comee glad to see the characters again ufotable top quality as always
Facta Non Verba
Jan 13, 2017 6:56 AM

Nov 2011
How to re-start, is not bad, although it is not the best. The narrative has its quiet moments and those where there is action, so no complaints in particular. The protagonist continues its "professional" growth, and also the rest of the story, advancing. The drawings and animations, they have lost none of the qualities seen before; beautiful soundtrack and fits the context proposed by this anime series. The opening and ending, seem less attractive than previous.
Jan 14, 2017 2:04 AM

Dec 2012
It's nice to see again Sorey and his team.
Solid start, I hope the second season will be good.
Jan 14, 2017 3:26 PM

Dec 2013
Fai said:
Oh yay we are now officially in the "let's shill the marysue rose" phase of Zestiria...

Cry me a river, yay!

Jan 16, 2017 2:03 PM

Jan 2011
As one who played through the game I'm just a bit disappointed they skipped out on one of my favorite scenes when they entered Lastonbell:

Jan 20, 2017 4:05 PM

Oct 2008
2nd season of the godlike visuals & animation show!
1st episode was a steady start, only suspense part is the Bishop's assassination.
4/5.

Jan 27, 2017 1:14 PM

Sep 2015
Fun to see this is back. Going to watch the Dub on this from Funimation so I'll be weeks behind lol. Slow start but looks like it will be focused on Rose which is fine bc she is has a good character design.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
May 2, 2017 5:26 PM

May 2012
Pretty lovely start of this second season! Looking forward to see how this story will continue!
Dec 10, 2017 3:50 AM

Mar 2015
Wow Rose hides something else under that bright and cute exterior!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 29, 2019 4:41 PM

Feb 2018
They are still asking how to purify a dragon, that is the brother of Edna. The Illuminate by Minami closing theme is extraordinary.
Jul 13, 2021 6:02 AM

May 2018
ok episode. Sorey is training and Rose is slaughtering
Apr 10, 2022 12:45 PM

Feb 2020
It was a very good start for the second season. Everything looks so beautiful again.

Wow.. That ending was quite shocking. Rose is much more badass than I thought. :o
Nov 16, 2022 12:31 PM
Jul 2021
Who's tired of this pathetic, weak wahman strong, I can beat up guys twice my size trope.
Yeah looking at you Rose 😏 is b.s, it's lying to young girls/woman in general and then they hit the wall and it's, I did nuthin' but eat the manure that was spoon fed to me by everything/everyone during my entire life.

There is a reason why in RL they always took little boys and train them to become soldiers/assissins et cetera, because in the end puberty kicks in and we males become stronger and smarter than any woman will ever be.

Facts are facts, biology is a b!tch.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Apr 29, 2017

179 by hihappy »»
Aug 18, 2023 9:59 AM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2017

93 by LeonhartAugust »»
Aug 16, 2023 5:06 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2017

95 by LeonhartAugust »»
Aug 16, 2023 5:00 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2017

93 by Sasutaschi »»
Aug 6, 2023 12:55 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2017

72 by Dawizz »»
Nov 16, 2022 6:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.