Forum Settings
Forums

Is it racist to prefer a certain race over another [romantically]? Where do we draw the line?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Feb 10, 2010 5:39 PM

Dec 2008
futoshi said:
I prefer to be with someone of a different background.

I.e ; Asian..etc

Lol. Looks to me like the "etc" wasn't necessary there.
Feb 10, 2010 6:37 PM

Jul 2009
Yea it's racist, but most people are racist afterall.
Feb 27, 2010 3:25 AM
Nov 2008
I think it's pretty normal to have a preference. I mean is it strange to prefer white chocolate over black chocolate or red wine over white wine. It's just a matter of personal preference and nothing else.

It's like the question of what is beautiful. You may ask several people and they may give you several opinions on that matter.
Feb 27, 2010 8:18 AM

Feb 2010
I don't believe it to be racist, how can you be with someone not of your choosing? you can't unless it is arranged but that always lead to marrying the same race so it doesn't count.
Feb 27, 2010 9:55 AM

Apr 2008
cusco said:
Yea it's racist, but most people are racist afterall.

In which case define racism?
Feb 27, 2010 10:04 AM

Feb 2010
Wooooaahh i was just about to post my view and i re-read it.... I would of been flamed SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard lol
Feb 27, 2010 10:29 AM

Feb 2010
theres a thing called treating everyone as a equal so sex race religion and anything dosnt matter everyone is a human being so theres no point treating anyone diffrently
Feb 27, 2010 2:09 PM

Feb 2010
Obviously not. Everyone has physical preferences when looking for a partner and different races look different.
For example, I like curly hair, asians have straight hair...put it together.
It doesn't mean that person is racist, it doesn't mean they look down on people from another race, it just means they prefer physical features of a different race.
For now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.
Feb 27, 2010 3:09 PM

Jul 2009
AthenianMango said:

That is funny, I have seen asians with curly hair plenty of times.

Powered by hinatachan - TaigaForum
Feb 27, 2010 8:11 PM

Feb 2010
ESSWHY said:
AthenianMango said:

I haven't. I meant in general.
For now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.
Feb 27, 2010 8:29 PM

Jul 2009
AthenianMango said:
ESSWHY said:
AthenianMango said:

Oh okay, thanks for teaching me how to be more logical!

I've never seen a flamingo that wasn't pink. I hate the colour pink. I hate all flamingos! Wow this is easy.

Feb 27, 2010 8:31 PM

Apr 2008
ESSWHY said:
AthenianMango said:
ESSWHY said:
AthenianMango said:

I've never seen a flamingo that wasn't pink. I hate the colour pink. I hate all flamingos! Wow this is easy.

But I've seen some white flamingos!
Feb 27, 2010 8:32 PM

Jul 2009
Plate said:
ESSWHY said:
AthenianMango said:
ESSWHY said:
AthenianMango said:

But I've seen some white flamingos!

Feb 27, 2010 8:33 PM

May 2008
Hair is so easy to manipulate I don't even see why it's so associated with race.
People are all like "hurrhurr this anime character is white it has BLONDE HAIR".
Because hair dye isn't insanely commonly used nowadays. And anime characters don't have rainbow hair to begin with.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Feb 27, 2010 8:45 PM

Feb 2010
ESSWHY said:
AthenianMango said:
ESSWHY said:
AthenianMango said:

You're clearly mentally handicapped.

Since you obviously couldn't figure it out on your own, that was an example. Each race has different physical features, some have dark skin, some have light skin, some have thick hair, some have thin hair, some have big eyes, some have small eyes, some are generally tall, some are generally short.

If someone happens to find dark skin very attractive, they're obviously going to have a preference for a race with dark skin. Do you understand?

Please, try not to embarrass yourself next time.
Feb 27, 2010 9:09 PM

Dec 2009
ukonkivi said:
People are all like "hurrhurr this anime character is white it has BLONDE HAIR"

Can't manipulate eye color though. They are all white, except the black and mexican ones.

Race is a social construct, white women who hang out with ghetto ass black men are considered black in my eyes. No date for you. But if I find a black woman who behaves in an acceptable manner, and is not just a booty then I'll consider it. But if they are too dark I find the idea kind of repulsive.
No asians, too flat, and too chubby faced, skinny, short, and just generally unappealing.I don't care that there a some in which this doesn't completely hold true, it's still not enough. If I can tell they are asian just by looking at them then that's a bad thing. If I can't tell they are asian I'll assume they are white, which is a-okay with me. Latinas are okay too, as long as they don't speak often.
zebra_boyFeb 27, 2010 9:20 PM
Feb 27, 2010 10:28 PM

Dec 2009
No that's just personal preference, if you prefer women over men romantically or vice versa does that make you sexist? no. Same thing with race, pretending that everyone looks the same is just nonsense and everyone is going to have some sort of preference.
Feb 28, 2010 2:58 AM

Oct 2008
I go with the flow. But my main attraction is guys, so I consider myself straight because of that. I don't think I've ever felt deep towards another girl. To me, I base things off of what attracts me naturally. In turn, I also take in what attracts me overall chemically and develop that into my preference if I want to share it was a group of my girl friends when we talk about such things, etc.

For most people, I guess their personal preference is a developed summary of what they think attracts them as a human-animal. It's hard to tell sometimes whether a person is unintentionally basing it off of their natural attraction or it's really just a personal preference of ethnicity developed from miscellaneous influences.

Stating your natural attraction as a personal preference, I think though, wouldn't be racist. Being racist is more leaning on the side of negatively discriminating a minority. Some people can't describe a legitimate reason for their personal preference, and the ones who can (depending on their choice of words) may be racist in that matter.

Me: people look at me and they don't know what the hell I am. I'm Eurasian, so I don't have those "slants" that trademark normal Asians and other stereotypical traits.. Personally, I like that thought. If I can't tell what the heck a person is but I like the way they look or feel attracted/ infatuated with them, I'm ok with that.

It's natural for me. Another thing is, people can make doubts and accusations in their head of each other that will turn the true nature of reason of the personal preference away... so it may look racist.

What I think will be interesting to experiment, is comparing a natural-attraction based marriage and a natural-unattraction based marriage. Well, I'm not assuming anything of it as there are multiple outcomes I just think it interests me...
Feb 28, 2010 4:30 AM

Jan 2009
For me, Love is Love. So it doesn't really matter what race a person is. I've seen attractive African Americans, Asians, etc, etc. And sometimes it doesn't even matter what the person looks like. Their personality can be more than enough for me.
Feb 28, 2010 6:17 AM

Mar 2009
Well in my humble opinion, I don't think it's necessarily racist to prefer one race over another romantically, but it is if you won't give them a chance.

See, having a preference won't mean you won't have feelings towards a certain person of an ethnic background you don't prefer. Its just how things play out in your relationship. A person could even forget about his/her initial preference.
Mar 5, 2010 2:43 AM

Feb 2010
What if you simply don't find a particular skin color attractive in a girl? Would that be considered racist? Or preference?
Mar 5, 2010 4:51 AM

Jan 2010
When I look at (socalled) sexy asian women, I feel no response. When I look at (socalled) sexy african women, I feel no response. When I look at sexy "white" european women, I feel a response.

Does this make me racist? Why? Is it my choice to choose whom turns me on? Is my lack of excitement on other races racism?

Personally, I've found that the racism-card has been abused just as much as a certain word starting with N, which rhymes with digger. Racism is the simple act of treating another race as a subrace. As something beneath your social rank. While we may have different faces and skin colours, or even different cultures, we're still the same species.
Mar 5, 2010 5:04 AM

May 2008
daddysgirl said:
ukonkivi said:
People are all like "hurrhurr this anime character is white it has BLONDE HAIR"

Can't manipulate eye color though.

Contacts don't exist.

Quite the troll, aren't you?

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Mar 5, 2010 5:20 AM

Feb 2010
So it's cool if I only like Asian chicks?
Mar 5, 2010 10:11 AM

Jun 2008
Is it racist to prefer a certain race over another [romantically]?

No.

Where do we draw the line?

Trying to push your preferences on others.
Mar 5, 2010 10:19 AM

Feb 2010
SbcThePirate said:

No.

wut race r u?
Mar 5, 2010 10:24 AM

Jun 2008
Hideyoshilover said:
SbcThePirate said:

No.

wut race r u?

The white man.
Mar 5, 2010 10:27 AM

Feb 2010
SbcThePirate said:
Hideyoshilover said:
SbcThePirate said:

No.

wut race r u?

The white man.

aw =C
Mar 5, 2010 11:13 AM

Feb 2010
I prefer white women :/
Mar 5, 2010 11:18 AM

Feb 2010
I would not say preferring a certain race in a romantic fashion is racist, Per say. There are varying degrees of Racism, and at it's worst, this is a very minor form. It's not hatred towards the ones you don't prefer, it's just finding them unattractive. It's more of a personal thing that varies from person to person. It can even change under the correct circumstances. Love is mysterious thing.

And I would agree with SbcThePirate, The line is drawn when you try to force your preferences on others.

Personally, I can be attracted to any female of any race. I'm not picky at all. =P
Mar 5, 2010 12:10 PM

Feb 2010
GodIsAFK said:

Racist F*ck
Mar 5, 2010 1:23 PM

Nov 2008
Hideyoshilover said:
GodIsAFK said:

Racist F*ck

You're racist for calling someone else racist.
Mar 5, 2010 1:25 PM

Mar 2010
It's all about sexual preference. If you're racist, well then, that's just an added bonus.
Mar 5, 2010 1:31 PM

Feb 2010
DrakeWants2Speak said:
Hideyoshilover said:
GodIsAFK said:

Racist F*ck

You're racist for calling someone else racist.

Eh?

CarlosHXC said:
It's all about sexual preference. If you're racist, well then, that's just an added bonus.

What if you hate all races?
Mar 5, 2010 1:32 PM

Mar 2010
Well, you can always rely on masturbation.
Mar 5, 2010 1:36 PM

Feb 2010
CarlosHXC said:
Well, you can always rely on masturbation.

What do I fap to though?
Mar 5, 2010 1:38 PM

Mar 2010
Look at yourself in the mirror and fap to the fact of how sexeh you are.
Mar 5, 2010 1:41 PM

Feb 2010
CarlosHXC said:
Look at yourself in the mirror and fap to the fact of how sexeh you are.

But I hate me too
Mar 5, 2010 1:43 PM

Mar 2010
Stop contradicting me. >:(
Mar 5, 2010 1:45 PM

Feb 2010
CarlosHXC said:
Stop contradicting me. >:(

But I hate constrictions!
Mar 5, 2010 7:16 PM

Dec 2009
Ukonkivi said:

Contacts don't exist.

Quite the troll, aren't you?

I knew this was coming, lol.
Anyway to think that every character with colored eyes is wearing contacts is foolish especially the ones that are already wearing glasses.
Mar 6, 2010 6:12 PM

Feb 2010
Hideyoshilover said:
GodIsAFK said:

Racist F*ck

I'm not racist! I just cannot see myself falling in love with a black girl, a light skin girl MAYBE! But definitely can see me being with a white girl. I've only ever had one girlfriend who wasn't white and she wasn't even black she was kinda Asian but mixed race. excluding her, ALL my ex's are white! Just because the numbers are in favor of my own race doesn't make me racist.
Mar 6, 2010 9:08 PM

Aug 2008

This White Woman is sooooooooo freakin' HOT!
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Mar 6, 2010 9:19 PM
Nov 2009
I personally don't consider it racist. Even if it was, I guess everyone has their own right to think the way they want to and live as the way the see fit.
Mar 7, 2010 3:25 AM

Feb 2009
It's definitely not racist, it's no different the preferencing someone over hair and eye colour, really its just a colour pigmentation.
Mar 7, 2010 5:02 AM

Sep 2009
KyuuAL said:

This White Woman is sooooooooo freakin' HOT!

HNNNG!

I am watching you masturbate....you're good.
Mar 8, 2010 11:45 PM

Aug 2008
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=165919

Funny how this thread doesn't even consider black women in particular.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Mar 17, 2010 8:30 AM
Mar 2010
NO IT IS NOT RACIST. AND I SO DISAGREE WITH THE PERSON BELIEVING IT IS HOW YOU ARE INFLUENCED BY SOCIETY THAT MAKES UP YOUR ATTRACTION TOWARDS A PARTICULAR PERSON.

FIRST OF ALL I AM A CAUCASIAN FEMALE AND I DID NOT GROW UP BEING RAISED TO LIKE NATIVE AMERICAN INDIANS BUT I AM DRAWN TO MEN OF THAT ETHNIC BACKGROUND. I DO HAVE A PREFERENCE FOR OTHER TYPES AND DO NOT HAVE ANY ATTRACTION TOWARDS ANOTHER. YOUR ATTRACTION TO A PARTICULAR PERSON IS BASED ON SOMETHING MORE INVISIBLE IT IS CALLED YOUR SOUL. YOU CAN NOT HELP WHO YOU ARE ATTRACTED TO. TRY GOING OUT WITH SOMEONE YOU ARE NOT GENERALLY ATTRACTED TO AND YOU WILL SEE HOW MUCH PAIN AND SUFFERING YOU WILL GO THROUGH BECAUSE OF 'A PERSON'S IGNORANCE IN BELIEVING YOU ARE A RACIST FOR LIKING A PARTICULAR RACE MORE THAN ANOTHER'.

MANY PEOPLE CAN HAVE FRIENDS OF ALL BACKGROUNDS, BUT WHEN IT COMES TO SEXUAL ATTRACTION IT IS VERY DIFFERENT. I ACTUALLY DESPISED THE WORD RACIST BECAUSE OF THE SUFFERING IT CREATES FOR EVERY HUMAN BEING. IT GIVES OTHERS THE BELIEF THAT THEY CAN CONTROL OTHER PEOPLE'S LIKES AND DISLIKES, USING THE WORD RACIST TO ME IS A FORM OF CONTROL TO MAKE YOU FEEL BAD FOR BEING YOURSELF.

AS LONG AS YOU DON'T INTENTIONALLY HURT OTHER PEOPLE AND WANT TO BURN THEM OR BOMB THEM AS YOU SEE IN WAR AND IN HISTORY AND YOU ARE A KIND CARING PERSON THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS. BUT RACISM SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN A WORD CREATED ON THIS PLANET. YOU EITHER LIKE SOMEONE OR YOU DON'T. NOT LIKING SOMEONE IS DIFFERENT FROM PROFOUND HATE TOWARDS SOMEONE THAT YOU WISH NOTHING BUT PAIN AND SUFFERING. AND THAT IS NOT THE CASE HERE AT ALL!!!

I REPEAT - YOU CANNOT HELP WHO YOU ARE ATTRACTED TO. IT ISN'T BECAUSE OF SOCIETY OR YOUR UPBRINGING. THERE ARE THINGS THAT ARE UNIQUE ABOUT YOU THAT YOUR OWN CAREGIVERS WOULD BE SURPRISED AND WONDER HOW DID THEY END UP BEING THAT WAY??... TRUTH IS.. THAT IS A MYSTERY NO ONE IS MEANT TO SOLVED BUT LEARN TO ACCEPT THAT WE ARE ALL INDEED DIFFERENT AND UNIQUE AND SHOULD NOT BE REPRIMANDED FOR BEING MORE ATTRACTED TO ONE TYPE OF PERSON MORE THAN ANOTHER.

FOR ALL OF YOU WHO LIKES TO CALL OTHER PEOPLE RACISTS- YOU ARE ONLY CREATING SUFFERING AND PAIN FOR OTHERS. READ MORE BOOKS ON BUDDHISM SO YOU CAN LEARN TO LOOK AT PEOPLE AS A 'WHOLE' AND APPRECIATE THEIR 'UNIQUENESS' AND 'DIFFERENCES'. THE BOTTOM LINE IN LIFE IS WE ALL WANT TO BE HAPPY AND HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE OURSELVES REGARDLESS OF HOW 'UNIQUE' OR 'DIFFERENT' WE MAY BE.

ANOTHER GOOD BOOK TO READ ABOUT RELATIONSHIPS IS BY BARBARA DE ANGELIS CALLED 'ARE YOU THE ONE FOR ME?'
Mar 17, 2010 8:42 AM
Aug 2009
My eyes burn from that amount of caps...
Mar 17, 2010 9:15 AM

Feb 2008
It is racist, if you hate other races, because he's or she black. But your prefrerences are natural thing.
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The nameless is the beginning of heaven and Earth. The named is the mother of the ten thousand things.
I do not recall, Jesus ever saying "build churches, temples, and kill those who doesn't follow christianity..." nor he said "christianity is religion".
News for VN immigrants in EU: vietinfo.eu

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.