Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 15, 2016 12:27 PM

Apr 2016
So I am 19, I took a year off school after High School, and I am in the process of applying for the community college 20 minutes from my house, but I'll be living there at the college for transportation reasons. I got my schedule ready for the Spring Semester, and I'll be majoring in Art. What was your experience in college, or how is your current experience. I am just kinda curious.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 15, 2016 12:38 PM

Jun 2014
I have no recollection of college, probably due to the fact that I didn't go to college.

Dec 15, 2016 12:47 PM

Sep 2012
I'm currently on break from college to find some way to pay for it, and headed there as soon as I can afford it.

It's basically an idealistic path into a thriving adulthood, as it'll hold your hand with all the things needed for you to thrive as a young adult, and mostly risk free if you have something resembling work ethic and not picking a risky major.

(unfortunately art is a risky major, I cannot recommend it as your first)
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Dec 15, 2016 12:54 PM

Apr 2016
Korrvo said:

I understand what you mean, I knew it was extremely risky going in, I basically picked what would make me happy as oppose to what would make me money because I know how true the whole starving artist thing is.
Dec 15, 2016 1:04 PM

Nov 2014
PlayStation said:
So I am 19, I took a year off school after High School, and I am in the process of applying for the community college 20 minutes from my house, but I'll be living there at the college for transportation reasons. I got my schedule ready for the Spring Semester, and I'll be majoring in Art. What was your experience in college, or how is your current experience. I am just kinda curious.

Do you really want to attend college or are you being obligationed into it by your parents?

I did the community college thing briefly but ended up dropping out because I hated it.
Dec 15, 2016 1:05 PM

Sep 2012
PlayStation said:
Korrvo said:

I understand what you mean, I knew it was extremely risky going in, I basically picked what would make me happy as oppose to what would make me money because I know how true the whole starving artist thing is.
I had similar aspirations. I want to be a game developer, but that is a heavily flooded industry right now and very very very financially unstable.

What I would do is pick a major that is related to your passion (or at least something you don't hate), but one that will guarantee you a job. You have many years on planet earth so you should pick the financially safe route first, and then go back to pursue your passion.

I'm going for something along the lines of web development or cyber security as both will net me job and financial stability. Both are computery and techy, and I can just take something like a unity programming course later on in life and pursue my passion as a hobby that could potentially make me money instead.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Dec 15, 2016 1:06 PM

Aug 2016
everyone on this site doesnt have time for college, it eliminates anime time and is therefore irrelevant
Dec 15, 2016 1:14 PM
Jul 2018
Right now I'm attempting to finish enrolling in it and it is nothing, if not an overcomplicated pain in the arse.
They want me to pay before I can enroll officially, so now I'm going to have to go up there with my father and negotiate with the financial office, and sheesh, I thought this was already over and that I could register properly, but alas!
Dec 15, 2016 1:15 PM

Jul 2014
I took up Nursing in college when I was 17 'til I was 21. Hated it but was forced into it.

Let's see.... for me, college life was having 7 AM - 7 PM lecture schedules... 8-hour morning/afternoon/night shifts in various health care settings... ridiculously difficult theoretical and practical quizzes and exams almost daily... endless textbook-reading, note-taking, and case studies that always ended up making my brain go fuzzy and my fingers go numb... and the ever important: Constant lack of sleep.

But, it was also about the many people I've met and made friends with... the many university social events... the many athletic competitions (the time to ogle at all the hotties who participate, in mine and my friends' opinion lol)... the very many weekend (and sometimes weekday lol) parties... and of course satisfaction of graduating, passing the final nerve-wracking exam + getting my nursing license, and finally being rid of all the shit I put up with for the last 4 years. ( ̄▽ ̄)

So to sum it all up, it was a stressful, fun, and crazy (for various reasons) experience. Enjoy(?) it while you can~
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Dec 15, 2016 1:18 PM

Oct 2016
Extremely drunken, high, and I fucked everything female with a pulse that wanted to.

Luckily I made it away without scrot-rot, but I do think that I have permanent liver damage and definitely some questionable tattoos.

Enjoy it dude. It's the best time ever before you actually have to enter the depressing hellhole that is adulthood. It is also the best time in your life to get laid, as everyone is on their own with no rules for the first time, drunk and bone like rabbits...

I don't know if community college is like that though...

EDIT: Also, Adderall. Essential tool for success in college.
Nibs-Dec 15, 2016 1:22 PM
Dec 15, 2016 1:27 PM

Sep 2016
PlayStation said:
Korrvo said:

From someone who changed their major about 4 times (music composition/theory, theater arts, business marketing, and then finally Computer Network Admin. and Design) I can tell you that you need to be very aware of your marketability with the given field. I ended up getting experience in the IT field before going to school for it. I took as many courses as I could in middle/high school and then struggled until I got my foot in the door at Geek Squad. After getting my feet wet in basic computer tech, I pursued a degree at a community college (no shame in that, don't let anyone tell you otherwise). I specialized, but eventually landed in an IT Engineer position that I occupy right now. Straight out of college with only an Associates Degree and roughly 3 years experience in IT work, I was making $40k. My current job pays me significantly more than that, my college debt (books, tuition, etc.) was only $6k.

Keep in mind you can always change career paths easier than trying to pay off debts with a degree that won't land a job. Having a 9-5 Mon-Fri job has opened many doors for me in terms of my passion for music. I can be more selective with which bands I want to join (my rent doesn't depend on it), I can afford much better gear, and I have vacation time/health insurance/retirement plans from working for a legit company.

I'd honestly give this a watch. I wish someone would have shown me this when I was 19 and starting college. Work is going to be difficult and get under your skin, that's why you get money for it!! Sometimes having a good, menial job can open many more doors for your passions to become a reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o
Dec 15, 2016 1:30 PM

Jun 2012
Eh. Just Highschool I had to pay for. I am going to a Canadian University, so I have no idea how it compares to a community college.

Make sure you actually know what you want to do before getting in the thick of this game though. I know so many people who got like half way through their degree before realizing that they either didn't like it or it was a useless degree. Don't go in for something like English or History unless you plan on being a teacher, because they have little relevancy in the world outside of a few career paths. Getting a degree that has little to do with what you want to do in life is just a waste of time and money.
Dec 15, 2016 1:31 PM

Sep 2012
LordPlucky said:
PlayStation said:

From someone who changed their major about 4 times (music composition/theory, theater arts, business marketing, and then finally Computer Network Admin. and Design) I can tell you that you need to be very aware of your marketability with the given field. I ended up getting experience in the IT field before going to school for it. I took as many courses as I could in middle/high school and then struggled until I got my foot in the door at Geek Squad. After getting my feet wet in basic computer tech, I pursued a degree at a community college (no shame in that, don't let anyone tell you otherwise). I specialized, but eventually landed in an IT Engineer position that I occupy right now. Straight out of college with only an Associates Degree and roughly 3 years experience in IT work, I was making $40k. My current job pays me significantly more than that, my college debt (books, tuition, etc.) was only $6k.

Keep in mind you can always change career paths easier than trying to pay off debts with a degree that won't land a job. Having a 9-5 Mon-Fri job has opened many doors for me in terms of my passion for music. I can be more selective with which bands I want to join (my rent doesn't depend on it), I can afford much better gear, and I have vacation time/health insurance/retirement plans from working for a legit company.

I'd honestly give this a watch. I wish someone would have shown me this when I was 19 and starting college. Work is going to be difficult and get under your skin, that's why you get money for it!! Sometimes having a good, menial job can open many more doors for your passions to become a reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o
This guy fucks

(reddit has taught me this is how I respond to something I agree with)
Dec 15, 2016 1:40 PM

Aug 2013
Great so far. First thing I noticed was how serious/mature everyone was in their classes compared to the shit show that was high school.

Internships and volunteering keep me busy and actually make me feel like a contributing member of society.

You will meet LOTS of new people, be sure to build relationships or at least leave good impressions, you never know how/if it'll benefit you in the future.

The feeling of independence is empowering and a great motivator. Just remember that this is the real world now, be responsible and think before you act or you could screw up your life real fast.
Dec 15, 2016 1:44 PM

Nov 2009
Well maybe your community college is different, but the one I went to was the very definition of a "commuter school" - It was kind of like high school but because everyone left immediately after their classes, nobody knew anyone.
Dec 15, 2016 4:17 PM

Apr 2016
SolidusSmoke said:
PlayStation said:

Do you really want to attend college or are you being obligationed into it by your parents?

I did the community college thing briefly but ended up dropping out because I hated it.

Sort of both? My family wanted me to do something with my life, so after a month of debating it I said screw it, and applied. and got in to my surprise, and I prefer the idea of going to college as opposed to working the crummy grocery store job I had.
Dec 15, 2016 4:19 PM

Feb 2015
Tell it to me when I've escaped from my head and is now living in reality..
Dec 15, 2016 4:53 PM

Mar 2016
I had a much better experience in community college versus High School. At my community college majority of classes based your final grade off of 4 exams, and rarely had a cumulative final. Almost every instructor provided some sort of notes or study guide prep for each test, so as long as you put forth some effort you could make good grades.

I just finished my first semester at University (I moved two hours away from my home town and stay on campus). It was pretty rough starting out not knowing anybody, most people seem to stick with their already established friends and I'm not the type to go out of my way to meet people. Eventually I made some friends through group work which is enough for me. My roomate sucked, she was loud as shit and kept me awake whenever she was home for the night but I still managed to get decent sleep. Hopefully my next roomate isn't crappy.

Courses are harder than when I was in Community College, but that's to be expected both with the level of difficulty changing for a higher degree and because I declared a science major. I actually enjoy learning though, so I look forward to the higher level courses. Best advice is don't procrastinate too bad, just get the work done early you'll feel better for it.
Dec 15, 2016 5:08 PM

Jul 2011
Let's see, freshman year I remember upwards of 400 people per class and listening to Professors drone on and on via lecture based learning. It was impersonal and mind numbingly tedious. An exercise not in learning how to think but rather learning what to think. Never have I had an experience that so exemplified being a cog in a machine.

It did however grow better each year and by my final year class sizes were anywhere from 20 to 40 students and the learning environment was more direct, personal and many more discussion based rather than endless lectures. The work load also increased rather drastically though. I can't think of any other point in my life, before or after, where I had a work load that was even remotely close.

Outside that, from the social aspect, well it's a mixed bag. There are so many people that you're going to encounter after all. I made some great friends, some that only lasted during College and others that still exist to this day. Was exposed to such a wide range of beliefs, cultures, and idea's on all ends of the spectrum. That aspect really was quite enjoyable, even though I do not classify myself as a people person. On the flip side, I met a plethora of people who were outright hostile in their ideologies or just in general jackasses.

It might sound like it was an overly negative experience. In a lot of ways (especially early on) it was, however I'm a firm believer that being exposed to different experiences makes you a stronger, hopefully better person. There are skills that I bettered or learned from the experience, that came from the experience itself rather then the classroom directly. The last couple years also included some of my more fond memories of the classroom, classmates, and Professors as well. In the end I wouldn't trade those years, but there sure are a hell of a lot of things I would change if I could go back and do it again.

Dec 15, 2016 6:24 PM

Jun 2016
Procrastination, alcohol, walking home through the ghetto at 2 AM and somehow not dying, and coming out in the end with a master's degree.

Most of what you have to do is bullshit...it's more about having the discipline to just push through assignments.
The football field isn't the only place where you could use a good line.
Dec 15, 2016 6:47 PM

Apr 2016
SolidusSmoke said:
PlayStation said:

Sort of both? My family wanted me to do something with my life, so after a month of debating it I said screw it, and applied. and got in to my surprise, and I prefer the idea of going to college as opposed to working the crummy grocery store job I had.

Well, college is probably the safest bet. It's like the norm everyone does. But you can totally skip it if you're creative. Selling online is a great alternative to skipping those grocery store jobs and you work whenever you want.

Well the only reason I am going is to improve my art skill. I am fine, but I could use massive improvements, I plan to just get my Associates in Art, commission online for relatively cheap, and try to save up enough money to start whatever project I want to do. Since I am not someone that can stick to one project at a time.
Dec 15, 2016 6:51 PM

Jan 2013
Sh*t. Half of my professor can't even speak English properly. English may not be my first language, but even I couldn't make sense out of my professor. I don't even participate 90% of the crap the University was promoting. I got bored and drop out. Waste of tax payers in my opinion. Who knows I might go back when I feel motivated again.
Dec 15, 2016 7:10 PM

Apr 2016
rekindledflame said:
Let's see, freshman year I remember upwards of 400 people per class and listening to Professors drone on and on via lecture based learning. It was impersonal and mind numbingly tedious. An exercise not in learning how to think but rather learning what to think. Never have I had an experience that so exemplified being a cog in a machine.

It did however grow better each year and by my final year class sizes were anywhere from 20 to 40 students and the learning environment was more direct, personal and many more discussion based rather than endless lectures. The work load also increased rather drastically though. I can't think of any other point in my life, before or after, where I had a work load that was even remotely close.

Outside that, from the social aspect, well it's a mixed bag. There are so many people that you're going to encounter after all. I made some great friends, some that only lasted during College and others that still exist to this day. Was exposed to such a wide range of beliefs, cultures, and idea's on all ends of the spectrum. That aspect really was quite enjoyable, even though I do not classify myself as a people person. On the flip side, I met a plethora of people who were outright hostile in their ideologies or just in general jackasses.

It might sound like it was an overly negative experience. In a lot of ways (especially early on) it was, however I'm a firm believer that being exposed to different experiences makes you a stronger, hopefully better person. There are skills that I bettered or learned from the experience, that came from the experience itself rather then the classroom directly. The last couple years also included some of my more fond memories of the classroom, classmates, and Professors as well. In the end I wouldn't trade those years, but there sure are a hell of a lot of things I would change if I could go back and do it again.

You mention having 400 students in a class. The cool thing about the college I am going to my art classes are 12 people classes so I feel like they will be a lot more direct.
Dec 15, 2016 7:23 PM

Sep 2016

So far college has been great. As a CE/CS major my classes can be difficult, but I remind myself of where I will be in a few years so I just keep pushing on .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 15, 2016 7:26 PM

Apr 2016
Takoyaki_sama said:

So far college has been great. As a CE/CS major my classes can be difficult, but I remind myself of where I will be in a few years so I just keep pushing on .

Konosuba niiiiice man, very very solid anime.
Dec 15, 2016 7:35 PM

May 2014
As someone going into linguistics, you're not alone in the whole "picked what would make me happy" situation. However, jobs in the field are (surprisingly) nowhere near as common as I imagined. Most people I know just tell me to get a job as a translator.
Dec 15, 2016 7:38 PM

Apr 2016
Haelth said:
As someone going into linguistics, you're not alone in the whole "picked what would make me happy" situation. However, jobs in the field are (surprisingly) nowhere near as common as I imagined. Most people I know just tell me to get a job as a translator.

My Aunt (who went to the same college as I am going to) actually has a job as a sign language translator for a deaf blind child. Translator can pay the bills, but go for a job that makes you happy.
Dec 15, 2016 7:39 PM

Jul 2014
The college i go to is a commuter school so you'll probably have a similar experience. All i do is sleep on the train, read in the library, and meme around on my phone when I'm waiting for class. I still chill with some people from high school once in a while but i shud look into clubs. The teachers ive had were great though desu.
Also i highly recommend not majoring in art. Try to find something that's more financially safe and let's you keep in touch with your passion somehow.
Dec 15, 2016 8:01 PM

Jul 2012
RedTie said:
I have to put in effort, which wasn't the case in high school. You get used to it once you readjust though. It's also harder to get people together here since the people I hang out with have different schedules.

Im having the same issues with getting together plus Im positive half the people I talk to are borderline depressed class then netflix repeat.
Dec 15, 2016 10:37 PM

Jul 2015
was expeensivee extenson of highschool!
but moar free time do stuff pursue
Dec 15, 2016 11:48 PM

Jan 2009
first 2 years of college was too busy for me since me and my classmates taken a lot of subjects/units especially minor subjects in order for our last 2 years in college to be less stressful and it kinda work since the last 2 years of college given us more time with thesis and internet cafe games like counter strike and RTS like the generals and battle realms at those times
Dec 16, 2016 12:46 AM

Jan 2009
oniinyan said:
Extremely expensive waste of time. I cost my parents about 110 grand (so far) and went about 20k in debt as well. Graduated 1.5 years ago now, been a shut in ever since (just as I was in college), parents are still paying off my debt.

I did graduate on time with a great degree from a great school, but I'm just so socially inept and afraid of talking to people that it's totally useless. I made no connections, no friends, did no internships, no research, joined no organizations, had a terrible gpa because I never did homework and my exam scores were just average.

Now I tell my parents I'm applying to jobs, but all I do is send my profile to some companies on linkedin rarely, which has led to literally nothing, no word back or anything, which is really what I hope for.

I feel guilty, like a waste of oxygen, but worse because of all the money my parents wasted on me. My degree is still in the envelope it came in and stashed away in my closet, don't even want to look at it.

dude is your social ineptness the main reason you are dysfunctional? maybe its time to get a proper diagnosis of what you are suffering from to get proper help too

but if you still can overcome that shyness of yours then i recommend you do volunteer work just to acquire work experience that you can add to your resume/CV
Dec 16, 2016 1:56 AM

Sep 2012
very boring and uninteresting
borderline depressing when you think of how many people your age were suckered in and convinced to major in something that's of zero interest to them, all for the sake of $$$ and having a "safe future"
idk what an art major is, but you're better off going d-i-y than wasting your money and more importantly, your time.

as for me, im just attending my local uni out of boredom/to study music/creative writing.
im more than likely gonna drop out by summer, if not spring.
YomiyukiDec 16, 2016 2:04 AM

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Dec 16, 2016 2:47 AM

Feb 2008
First two years: Incredibly uneventful and empty, with me focusing only on the coursework, heading home immediately after classes, and never getting involved with anyone or participating in any events. My biggest concern was my GPA.

Study abroad year in Japan: I care too much about people now, to the point where I'm failing some of my classes and never have the time to do anything hobby-related. There's also culture shock stuff, and my miserable love life. Sometimes I get so stressed that I go on pointless walks at night for an hour or three. I've also put myself in a bad financial situation, and my roommate is so noisy that I barely sleep.

:)
Dec 16, 2016 2:48 AM

Nov 2014
Impossible to make friends.
Also you have to actually put in some work unlike high school were you can pass with really good grades without sacrificing any of your free time, which is something I'm still getting used to.
Dec 16, 2016 2:49 AM

May 2013
all i know is i hit a quadruple percolated five foot high bong, everything went black, and I woke up on MAL

:I
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Dec 16, 2016 2:51 AM

Sep 2015
So far it's okay-ish. I think the thing I hate the most is the travelling, buses kill me.
Dec 16, 2016 3:35 AM
Apr 2013
Progressively worse each year I might describe it. Stuck with no job for my internship program thanks to the uni being a dipshit liar. Being a NEET though, feels good but the lack of job worries me.
Dec 16, 2016 4:54 AM
Jul 2018
I took an IT course (at a physical location) for 3 terms, but left before finishing the 4th term due to mental problems, unfortunately leaving me $10,000 NZD in debt with no qualifications to show for it. I'm currently taking one free term of online schooling (or has it ended? I lose track of time), which I've only finished one assignment for. I wish I could waive my debt, or go back in time and actually finish the 4th term, but I know fretting about such things will change nothing.
Dec 16, 2016 5:22 AM

Nov 2014
It will kick you in the ass if you underestimate it thinking everything will stay same as in school.
You learn more practical things, but other than that nothing special I guess? Looking at it now I think it's actually pretty close to normal working life. You have to do some stuff, some people will help you and some will make your life harder just because they are bored. You aren't a kid anymore so no special protection.
At least you have a lot of free time when you learn how to study in a way that lets you pass exams with the least effort.
Dec 16, 2016 7:32 AM
Sep 2016
I'm in arts too. Multimedia Arts to be exact. Kinda like the jack of all trades in arts. We study a bit of drawing, 2D and 3D animation, photography, filmography, softwares, web design, and etc. I'm planning to take corporate video making and advertisement for my electives (cause my uncle is an advertisement director)

I used to study biochemistry but quit after the first term because I don't see a future in it. I know people say that the arts is unstable, but so is every other job. Taking biochemistry won't guarantee me anything especially when I am so uninterested in it. I don't think I had the potential to do anything meaningful in that field. What happened was that at first I was getting really high grades until I started asking myself how I was going to apply anything I've learned to real life until I realized that all I have done was memorize formulas and names that were meaningless to me. My point is, choose a field that works best for you. Majoring in something technical doesn't mean anything. However, you should also consider more practical stuff. That's why I chose multimedia arts

ANYWAY to answer your question

I'm an introvert so I spend most of the time alone which I like. I use it to watch anime or sleep since I do my work right away. I have less actual friends but a lot of good acquaintances. I wish I could hangout with my high school friends more lol. I'm not interested in college parties at all. As each term passes, I put less and less effort in my school appearance. Since art is an ever-growing skill, I use my free time to study/practice/work on personal stuff. College is uneventful so far, but I'm working hard now to make bigger things happen someday. Maybe it's because of my old course, but I want to feel more stressed about college. I get high grades and feel so undeserving of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm VERY serious about art and work hard on it but I want to be pushed to my artistic limits lol

P.S. I realized this was really long. sorry
Dec 16, 2016 7:38 AM

Dec 2015
It is fine for me I have a lot of free time and I am actually doing good with my study. I enjoy it and I am quite good at it. For me it actually stayed the same as in high school besides that now it is not mandatory to go every day. Timewise I spend about as much time in it as I did on high school.
Dec 16, 2016 8:01 AM
Jul 2018
I actually just finished my Fall semester for a community college. I only took two classes - Composition I and Introductory Psychology. I did very well in both classes! Super happy with how my first semester of college went. :)
I will be taking Introduction to Social Work and Composition II during the Winter semester. I'm very excited for the Social Work class because it will help me decide if I really want to be a social worker or not.
I'm currently not majoring in anything, just trying to get a feel for the classes and get the basics out of the way.
removed-userDec 16, 2016 8:10 AM
Dec 16, 2016 8:12 AM

Apr 2016
ozzievanfluff said:
I'm in arts too. Multimedia Arts to be exact. Kinda like the jack of all trades in arts. We study a bit of drawing, 2D and 3D animation, photography, filmography, softwares, web design, and etc. I'm planning to take corporate video making and advertisement for my electives (cause my uncle is an advertisement director)

As each term passes, I put less and less effort in my school appearance.

Actually the one thing I pride myself on is my lack of care on my appearance as I see no reason to care about one's appearance especially when it's an 8 am art class x.x thanks college.

Mine if I could focus on one would be animation, but I plan to do freelance art, so what I am doing now works just fine. My community college only has the very general Art program nothing specific. BUT they can offer Dance as a legit major, but I can't study animation x.x.
Dec 16, 2016 8:29 AM
Sep 2016
PlayStation said:
ozzievanfluff said:

As each term passes, I put less and less effort in my school appearance.

Actually the one thing I pride myself on is my lack of care on my appearance as I see no reason to care about one's appearance especially when it's an 8 am art class x.x thanks college.

Mine if I could focus on one would be animation, but I plan to do freelance art, so what I am doing now works just fine. My community college only has the very general Art program nothing specific. BUT they can offer Dance as a legit major, but I can't study animation x.x.

I started caring about my appearance more because I go to an arts school. Everyone looks so good and fashionable so it kinda inspired me. There's nothing wrong with it as long as you don't go out of your way. I enjoy it and it gives a good impression on some people.

SAME! I'd like to focus on animation but I have no proper plans for that. I'm thinking of starting a business as a side thing. I really want to do some freelance stuff but I also want a steady job that involves art

For your art program, there's really no list of subjects?
Dec 16, 2016 8:33 AM

Apr 2016
ozzievanfluff said:
PlayStation said:

I started caring about my appearance more because I go to an arts school. Everyone looks so good and fashionable so it kinda inspired me. There's nothing wrong with it as long as you don't go out of your way. I enjoy it and it gives a good impression on some people.

SAME! I'd like to focus on animation but I have no proper plans for that. I'm thinking of starting a business as a side thing. I really want to do some freelance stuff but I also want a steady job that involves art

For your art program, there's really no list of subjects?

They did give it a broad term for the college, but they do offer courses in Photography, and other things of that nature, while I focus more on drawing since that is going to be my livelihood.
Dec 16, 2016 8:44 AM

Apr 2015
Took about two years worth of part-time community college while living at home.

I liked it, but I didn't socialize that much. There was one good friend I made during that time, but beyond that, nothing. Odd, because being in the honor society, most everyone was really close with everyone. I knew them, but didn't really hang with a lot of them.

With that said, it requires desire and time. If you don't have the desire to invest, it will bite you in the ass. I'm not talking about a 15-minute inspiration burst. It needs to be a full-blown dream. There is a reason why Calculus classes were my best classes in Community College.
And yes, time. Even running part-time classes without a job can be draining. When I did get a job during my last semester-and-a-half, things went downwards with my grades before I switched career paths.

The best advice I can give is, don't do something you might regret 5 years later. I had a lot of chances to do crazy stuff, and if I had taken them, I might have screwed my current lifestyle over.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Dec 16, 2016 1:09 PM
Sep 2014
it was so amazing, made me drop out after 2 weeks.
Dec 16, 2016 2:23 PM

Aug 2016
it`s really fun that i quit college ..
Dec 16, 2016 2:46 PM

Sep 2014
Korrvo said:
I'm currently on break from college to find some way to pay for it, and headed there as soon as I can afford it.

It's basically an idealistic path into a thriving adulthood, as it'll hold your hand with all the things needed for you to thrive as a young adult, and mostly risk free if you have something resembling work ethic and not picking a risky major.

all majors are risky, yeah some give you more practical skills, but jobs don't grow on trees and competition is high. also it teaches you nothing about how to thrive as an adult...doesn't teach you any life skills anyways, you have to learn those on your own outside the system.

also i find it kind of funny it's such an idealistic path if you having trouble paying for it. it should be affordable to all.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

32 by Strahan »»
43 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

46 by Strahan »»
53 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - Today

21 by Salty-GB »»
58 minutes ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

17 by Noboru »»
2 hours ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

681 by blankflag »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.