Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 9, 2016 11:17 AM

Jul 2016
Basically, What anime would you show to someone to try and get them into watching anime in general.
And what anime would you show someone to scare away from anime as a whole

Mine would be -
Full Metal Alchemist - To get them into anime
Keijo - to deter them
Dec 9, 2016 11:22 AM
Aug 2016
Well I kinda support both of your choices specifically Keijo.
But if I would want to build up someone's interest towards anime then firstly I would check their preferences in other fields like Reality Shows etc and then I would recommend them the anime accordingly.
Dec 9, 2016 11:25 AM

Oct 2009
Get them into it: Inuyasha, Studio Ghibli movies, Wolf's Rain, Twelve Kingdoms, Haibane Renmei, and probably plenty more I could choose from.

Scare them away: Tenshi no drop, any hentai, Candy Boy, Sora no Aki, Hakkenden: The Dog Warriors, and probably best to stay away from Mnmemosyne too if they haven't seen anime before. Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid would probably be something to stay away from too unless they are a perv.
Exclusively female yuri community with polls, games, member cards, and more. Join today.Recruiting Staff too!
Dec 9, 2016 11:31 AM
Aug 2016
caninesrock said:
Get them into it: Inuyasha, Studio Ghibli movies, Wolf's Rain, Twelve Kingdoms, Haibane Renmei, and probably plenty more I could choose from.

Scare them away: Tenshi no drop, any hentai, Candy Boy, Sora no Aki, Hakkenden: The Dog Warriors, and probably best to stay away from Mnmemosyne too if they haven't seen anime before. Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid would probably be something to stay away from too unless they are a perv.

Yeah you're right Hentai does scare them away.
Last week I kinda you know told or introduced two of my friends to anime and three days later they found out about Hentai and now we're back to square one.
Dec 9, 2016 11:38 AM

Jul 2016
Mastermind_01 said:
caninesrock said:

Yeah you're right Hentai does scare them away.
Last week I kinda you know told or introduced two of my friends to anime and three days later they found out about Hentai and now we're back to square one.

I can relate to this.. but probably not as strongly :D SO glad you shared :)
Dec 9, 2016 11:43 AM

Jan 2016
I don't know, i will probably choose an anime based on the taste of the person.

I can't recommend Ghost in the Shell to a person who is more into the romantic genre.
Dec 9, 2016 11:47 AM
Jul 2018
Keijo - To get them into anime
Full Metal Alchemist - to deter them
Dec 9, 2016 11:55 AM

May 2015
To get them into anime: End of Evangelion
To deter them from anime: Boku dake ga Inai Machi

If they want more after ERASED or don't want more after EVA, that's when I have to kill them for being a subhuman.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Dec 9, 2016 11:59 AM
Oct 2016
Clannad/toradora/snafu to get them in.
Pokemon to deter them
Dec 9, 2016 12:05 PM
Jul 2018
To get them in, probably something short and funny, like KonoSuba.

To deter them, Tenshi no Drop. Just to make sure they never try again.
Dec 9, 2016 12:11 PM

Jul 2013
Get them into anime: Mayoiga (because they need to start with a masterpiece)
Deter them from anime: Mayoiga (because if they watch it, they wouldn't want to watch more anime, as Mayoiga is the pinnacle of the medium)
Dec 9, 2016 12:12 PM

Oct 2014
It depends who they are. I'm not going to recommend Berserk to a fan of romance movies/novels and I'm not going to recommend Lucky Star to someone likes action stories. Whatever their taste in other media is I'll pick out an anime from that same genre like any good friend. Just because the typical gateway anime don't suit their tastes doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to enjoy anime. Things like SAO and Naruto would actually work to deter a lot of people while Serial Experiments Lain and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 might really be someone's cup of tea.

If I asked someone the question "What British TV shows would you show someone to get them into the medium?" or "What short stories would you tell someone to read to get them into the medium?" what would you expect them to answer?
Dec 9, 2016 1:23 PM

May 2009
Johnnyd3rp said:
I don't know, i will probably choose an anime based on the taste of the person.

I can't recommend Ghost in the Shell to a person who is more into the romantic genre.

This. Thank you.

There are some things that appeal to more "mainstream" tastes and thus have a higher probability of being accepted. So if I knew nothing about the person's tastes, I'd go with strong script, probably dubbed in the language of the person I'm introducing it to, good cinematic production values, not too complicated setting premise, appealing character art but low on fanservice, and characters who come to life without appealing too much to particular tropes.

Off the top of my head I can think of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Eureka Seven. Tokyo Godfathers if it's Christmas.

But also there's the question of whether you want to show someone an anime series they might like, or you want to show someone a representative sample of notable anime genres/series/features.

For example I could show someone Rocket Girls, but then they might get an overly rosy picture of just how hard anime sci-fi typically gets.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 9, 2016 2:04 PM

Jul 2014
all depends on what their tastes are in general.......
Dec 9, 2016 2:15 PM

Aug 2013
Something Good but that's minimal in cliches and tropes and a bit westernized in order to ease them into anime. Something like Death Note, Black Lagoon, Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing Ultimate, Trigun etc,
Dec 9, 2016 2:20 PM

Apr 2013
Id probably go with:
Death note
Attack on Titan
FMA
Mirai Nikki
Basically any popular dramatic anime that would get them to want to watch more, but hey it also depends on the person and what genre they're into :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2016 2:25 PM

May 2009
See the reason I know not to simply go with what's popular is that I know that that's not what appeals to me.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 9, 2016 3:02 PM

Apr 2010
Thread moved

Thread moved to the Anime & Manga Discussion board.
Dec 10, 2016 7:38 AM

Apr 2015
Saeko-Busujima said:
Basically, What anime would you show to someone to try and get them into watching anime in general.

Mine would be -
Keijo - to deter them
Keijo Is Good. You Should It A Try If You Havent.Its Better Than What I Expected Of It :)
Dec 10, 2016 7:43 AM

Aug 2016
Mine would be Steins;Gate, Fullmetal Alchemist and One Punch Man

Set by SenpieX
Dec 10, 2016 8:05 AM
Sep 2016
Tokyo ghoul or parasite the maxim
probably hunter x hunter first though
Dec 10, 2016 2:33 PM

Jul 2016
Uchihaaa said:
Saeko-Busujima said:

Mine would be -
Keijo - to deter them
Keijo Is Good. You Should It A Try If You Havent.Its Better Than What I Expected Of It :)

Yea but... butt... and the mind of a "new anime viewer" can and most likely will be extremely critical :)
Dec 10, 2016 2:37 PM

Jun 2016
Re: zero

Boku no pico
Dec 10, 2016 3:40 PM

Apr 2015
Yes
Saeko-Busujima said:
Uchihaaa said:

Yea but... butt... and the mind of a "new anime viewer" can and most likely will be extremely critical :)
Yes You Are Right :)
Dec 10, 2016 5:53 PM

Aug 2016
Into - Tokyo Ghoul
Deter - Boku no Pico

Reach out

Dec 11, 2016 12:58 AM
Jun 2016
RainyRai said:
To get them into anime: End of Evangelion
To deter them from anime: Boku dake ga Inai Machi

If they want more after ERASED or don't want more after EVA, that's when I have to kill them for being a subhuman.

I dont know if you are being sarcastic or not,
but for me EVA is one of the worst anime I ever watched and Erased is not the best, but one of the great anime I have watched
Dec 11, 2016 1:07 AM

Apr 2013
To get them in i'll go with a classical:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann or Code Geass (Action, Adventure, Romance)

Steins;Gate or Mawaru Penguindrum (psychological)

Angel Beats or Toradora (Romance)

To deter
Boku no Pico (Romance)
FLCL (Psychological) though i'm not saying it's a bad anime, just hard for most viewers to understand, kinda like ME! ME! ME!
Kakumeiki Valvrave (Action, Adventure, Romance) - plot hole, plot hole, and wtf just happened.
duderusDec 12, 2016 6:26 PM

Dec 11, 2016 4:06 AM

Jul 2016
duderus said:
To get them in i'll go with a classical:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann or Code Geass. (Action, Adventure, Romance)

Steins;Gate or Mawaru Penguindrum (psychological)

Angel Beats or Toradora. (Romance)

To deter
Boku no Pico (Romance)
FLCL (Psychological) though i'm not saying it's a bad anime, just hard for most viewers to understand, kinda like ME! ME! ME!
Kakumeiki Valvrave (Action, Adventure, Romance) - plot hole, plot hole, and wtf just happened.

Ooooh I forgot Angel Beats o.o
I adore that series :)

More topics from this board

» Anime male character not abused by female characters

EleganteX - Aug 15, 2015

22 by thorin001 »»
6 minutes ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

6 by thorin001 »»
20 minutes ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

19 by WillGuabs »»
47 minutes ago

» Anime where guy hits girl back

Borito_Uzumaki - May 6, 2017

47 by BroDa2545 »»
1 hour ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - 3 hours ago

1 by Ohayotaku »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.