Forum Settings
Forums

Different subtitles color, does it have any impact on your watching experience?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 20, 2016 7:42 AM

Jun 2015
yellow or white

with a 1px black outline

I hate colorful ones.
or the animated ones during songs op end etc....
Nov 20, 2016 7:55 AM
Nov 2015
I don't care what kind of subtitle colors there are as long if I can read them easily. I feel like the ones with color codes tried hard and they're my favorites. It's the large font subtitles that I have a problem. ..
Feb 24, 1:47 AM

Dec 2008
Sorry to dig this up but I prefer YELLOW subtitles in Tahoma bold with a thick black outline. If I can't read the fucking things then what good are they?
Life Is Short But Intense.
Feb 24, 2:19 AM

Sep 2016
Don't know anything other than white, but yellow is awful that much I know.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 24, 7:07 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
I don't really care. I can understand 95%+ from hearing, so I only look at subs if there's something I'm not sure about. I also dislike reading subs all the time, since I tend to notice how shitty a lot of the translators are.
Feb 24, 7:25 AM

Apr 2020
This topic is quite timely for me. I used to dislike subtitles with colors as it feels like it's ruining the intended color palette of some shows. But now that my eyes are slowly going bad, and white subtitles are beginning to be hard for me to read as it feels like it's blending with any colors and often looks watery, I'm now trying out different colors not just for the text itself but the outlines too.

I noticed that CR sometimes uses dark blue outlines on white text which works for me. But sometimes, yellow text with black outlines works as well. But I'd choose a lighter yellow if there's an option, and sometimes lower text opacity so it somewhat feels like it blends with the show.
"I will use my ball to make you remember." -- Haruka Kiyomine, 2024
Feb 24, 7:39 AM

Jul 2008
I'm used to white subs, but one of my friends prefers blue subtitles with a white outline which is... seems weird to me, to say the least... It's just a matter of habit, I guess.
Feb 24, 6:50 PM

May 2022
Both white, yellow, and whatever other kind of subtitle I've seen don't really matter too much to me. The colours of subtitles don't really affect my viewing experience all too much.
Feb 24, 7:01 PM

Apr 2008
I prefer white with a black outline but I never really had a problem with the yellow subtitles that there used to be a lot of in the past also. As long as the yellow color wasn't too blinding...which sometimes it was with the older fansubs.
Feb 24, 7:07 PM

Sep 2022
I prefer white the most. It stands out well, making the subs easy to read, and also white is not too distracting.
Feb 24, 8:46 PM

Aug 2020
I think different fonts and font colours can impact my experience. I'd consider white with a black border to be the 'normal' style which has no impact, but yellow with a black border can look out of place on newer anime while it can also add a bit of charm to older shows. Probably the best subtitles I've seen are on the original Sailor Moon seasons where each line is colour-coded with the speaker.

γ€Œ 𝕂𝕖π•ͺ π•₯𝕙𝕒π•₯ π•™π•šπ••π•–π•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕀 𝕠𝕗 π••π•’π•£π•œπ•Ÿπ•–π•€π•€, 𝕀𝕙𝕠𝕨 π•žπ•– π•ͺ𝕠𝕦𝕣 π•₯𝕣𝕦𝕖 π•—π• π•£π•ž 」

Feb 24, 9:10 PM
May 2012
If you download it on pc except the hardsubbed can't people just download a .srt or an .ass to solve the issue? I think the sub file can be edited to change the font or simply changing the VLC settings for subs. I think that also the hardsub can be artificially covered by the soft subs.
Feb 24, 9:19 PM

Aug 2016
yellow subs ar eobjectively the best ones and its insane how some people hate them. shame on you, people.
:v
Feb 24, 9:37 PM

Nov 2023
White is easy to see, does not merge in the background and looks presentable
Feb 27, 6:20 AM

Jan 2023
White is normal. In a movie I like yellow too.

On the pages that upload chapters to watch for free, many change the colors depending on the hair color of the character speaking.
Feb 27, 12:07 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to LaLeLuLiLo
don't care as long as they are easy to read and somehow doesn't bother me when watching the show
LaLeLuLiLo said:
don't care as long as they are easy to read and somehow doesn't bother me when watching the show

Same here as I gotten used to fansub style use of fonts and colors since before legal streaming/simulcast started or so.
Feb 27, 12:10 PM

Aug 2018
I think yellow subs are usually easier to read. But yellow is an ugly color and white's tendency to sometimes blend into the background is not a huge problem so thats what I have my video player's defaults set to.
Feb 27, 12:31 PM

Oct 2013
I think I actually prefer yellow to white, as much as some might find it off putting. I haven't watched anime in a bit, but I have read subtitles pretty recently playing the newest Like a Dragon/Yakuza game in Japanese, because playing in English after so many games would feel weird. There were some parts, for me at least, where the white subtitles were hard to see due to a characters clothes or the background. A different color could have easily fixed that issue, but white is the standard.
Feb 27, 12:32 PM

Feb 2020
Yellow is my favorite color but I prefer white subs. Still, I always get some nostalgic vibes every time I see yellow subs.
Feb 27, 4:24 PM
Mar 2017
It varies, same with if it has a backing/black bar behind the text.

Some colours work, others don't against backgrounds.

Sometimes they can be really helpful to read or less boring then white but sometimes they can just be annoying and blend in.
Mar 24, 6:21 PM

Dec 2008
Like I said before-fuck white subs! Yellow forever.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Mar 25, 6:43 AM

Jul 2017
As much as I don't want it to impact me, it does a bit. Yellow subs, or subs with absolutely terrible font choices and strokes make it more frustrating to watch for sure. Just colors that are not too strong on my eyes are appreciated. Not too sure why some anime in the past had yellow-colored subtitles instead of white.
Mar 25, 6:51 AM

Dec 2022
White supremecy, other coloured subs should face discrimination.

-Tohka is better than Kurumi. You can't change my mind. 

Mar 26, 6:43 AM

Jan 2010
I choose "mixed" in the survey, but to be honest I don't have a preferences but it depends on the anime or the live-action foreign-language films/TV dramas. For an older anime like something from the 80's or 70's, yellow would be preferable. For recent anime, white would work for me (although I don't mind yellow). I can say the same for my live-action TV dramas I've watched where English is not the primary language like Korean dramas, Chinese dramas, Taiwanese dramas, etc... Also, when a OST song (if it's Japanese, Korean, etc...) is playing in the background with a subtitles that translate the songs lyrics, I would prefer a different color subtitles like blue to help me indicate that.

So yeah, my subtitles color preference tends to varies for me.
Mar 26, 7:14 AM
Apr 2022
Normally it's white. But when it hard sub and I need my native language sub to understand, I will use outside sub with different color.

Sometimes the white subtitle blended with the anime so it's hard to read. But when I see them in better screen. They not to blend.
Mar 26, 8:46 AM

Sep 2018
I don't care, I convert them all to an external .srt so my PVR can read the file. They are white but with a tiny border which can make it hard to read.
I use light yellow with a black border on my other devices as it stands out more on certain scenes.
Mar 26, 9:06 AM

Jan 2008
I don't see them nearly as much as I used to but I prefer yellow, I grew up on anime DVD's, most of them used yellow subs so I'm kinda just used to it. White subs have never really sat right with me, so I love it when certain fansubs have multicolored and stylized subs varying between characters, plan white is just... bweh
Love can sometimes be magic. But magic can sometimes...just be an illusion...
Mar 26, 9:29 AM
Mar 2022
Mixed depends on the anime. Most importantly dor me is the borderline in the text. I've watched Kaguya Sama on Netflix once. White background, white text, and white borderline, worst anime experience ever.
Mar 26, 11:02 AM

May 2015
It's not the color that bothers me but the outline color, some, especially some fansubbers use a LOT of styles with different outline colors and that annoys me to no end but still not as much as typesetting, I HATE typesetting with PASSION, I can't stand text appearing all over screen and/or covering/hiding the original text, especially when unnecessary to the point I may stop watching something, open up Aegisub and fix the subtitles up myself, or just do it pre-watching anything and spoil myself but at least I end up having a peace of mind as I watch after that, but thankfully most what I watch have official subs where I rarely find all that so I just replace the necessary styles with my preferred custom ones really quickly without spoiling anything to myself and enjoy whatever I'm watching afterwards!
I also can't stand a lot of fonts used or the way they're used or the BIG sizes some may use for one reason or another or the THICK outlines.

Yellow subtitles hardly exists nowadays save for old stuff but it doesn't bother me.
TheBerserkerMar 26, 11:06 AM
Mar 26, 11:11 AM

Apr 2021
WHITE SUPREMACY!!! WHITE IS THE BEST COLOUR!!!! ONLY WHITE IS REAL!!!!! OTHER'S SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM EXISTENCE!!!
Mar 26, 11:18 AM

Dec 2022
I prefer white subtitles because of the neutrality of white as a colour, but it's not a big deal. If anything, font is more important to me than subtitle colour. A terrible font choice can make dialogue a pain in the ass to read.

ο½²δΉ‡εˆ€δΉ‡δΉƒε°ΊοΎ‘δΉ‡
㊎ ㊰
☽ Shaded Horizon ☾

Mar 26, 1:00 PM

Jan 2020
I like light blue subs with a black contour. Thankfully, video players on PC have somewhat flexible settings for sub customization, but on the other hand iOS is pretty bad in this regard, so while watching anime on a mobile I stick to the white color just because I’m left out of options (I’m not, but I’m too much of a lazy-ass to jailbreak).
Mar 26, 1:02 PM

Jan 2020
Reply to mshfqtny
WHITE SUPREMACY!!! WHITE IS THE BEST COLOUR!!!! ONLY WHITE IS REAL!!!!! OTHER'S SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM EXISTENCE!!!
@mshfqtny, fvcking based, man, let’s go!
Mar 26, 3:39 PM

Jan 2017
White because yellow is just bad to look at.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

13 by epidemia78 »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 6 minutes ago

0 by ST63LTH »»
6 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 )

Catalano - Apr 25

52 by LNW_R92CP »»
7 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

25 by Miyamotodex23 »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 2 hours ago

8 by Kruszer »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.