Forum Settings
Forums

How do you go about choosing each manga that you read?

New
Oct 10, 2016 8:51 PM
Jul 2018
Okay, well as some of you may have already noticed, my manga list is not very impressive. In fact, it's pathetic at best.

I have been progressing through both Bleach and Naruto for the time being, mainly because I had no idea what to get started on at the time. I have also been reading manga that I randomly selected from the manga library on Crunchyroll.

So how does everyone get their ideas for what they consider 'good' manga to put on their lists? Like, how do you go from selecting manga at complete randomness to actually knowing what you want to select that actually makes your manga lists preferable to your individual tastes?

(I will also add really quick) I've always been able to just pick up a manga at random, and get some sense of enjoyment out of it regardless to not knowing anything about it prior to picking it up. Is this a good way to select manga or should there be more careful and conscious thought put in toward selecting each manga?
Oct 10, 2016 9:02 PM
Jan 2013
Most of the manga I pick up are at "random", with most of the information known being the cover art
Still the best way for me, there may be much trash, but when something surprising hits you, it hits you hard
If I do get to learn something about the story, by the moment I pick it up from my PTR I already forgot it so that's nice too
So ya, going blind is a delish
gone bai bai
Oct 10, 2016 9:07 PM
Jul 2018
Mkim said:
Most of the manga I pick up are at "random", with most of the information known being the cover art
Still the best way for me, there may be much trash, but when something surprising hits you, it hits you hard
If I do get to learn something about the story, by the moment I pick it up from my PTR I already forgot it so that's nice too
So ya, going blind is a delish

Ya to me I only really care about reading manga stories to zone out from real life lol as sad and pathetic as that may sound, so sometimes I don't even care how popular the manga is, as long as it has a good story and good writing that's all I really care about lol. But at the same time, I want to make sure that I concentrate on putting manga that I actually like on my list.
Oct 10, 2016 10:42 PM
Jul 2018
Having genres, authors that you like (or specifically want to read) and others things like that. It helps filtering your choice.
And the art-style obviously.

That, is for putting something in my Plan to Read list. For picking something from my PTR list… it's random…
Oct 10, 2016 10:46 PM

Jul 2016
I definitely search them not just pick any random because reading takes time and I got my hands full since watching anime and reading manga has become my dilemma of which is which. I search for the top manga of each genre I want to read. Well, you can go to anime and manga recommendation if you don't have any idea.
Oct 10, 2016 10:59 PM

Apr 2014
atKatlin said:
I search for the top manga of each genre I want to read. Well, you can go to anime and manga recommendation if you don't have any idea.

Art style is important to me, too. But before deciding if I'll put it on my list or not, I read the synopsis first and if it doesn't persuade me enough, I'd read reviews. In some instances, when I completed a manga that's overall great to me, I would start searching for the author/mangaka's other works then same routine.
Oct 11, 2016 1:44 AM

May 2010
Sort of random. I borrow from a library so it's highly dependent on what's available.

But even with that, there's still so much to read. Besides the ones I've already started, I usually check out stuff I've never heard before or those with recent publishing dates. The reason for this is because I want to know what's fairly recent or what someone thought was good enough to publish in English.

As much as possible, I avoid the titles that I hear about often. I try to distance myself from the hype first so that I can read without expectations.
Oct 11, 2016 2:13 AM
Sep 2012
That depends...usually I do a little "research", like at least to know the genre, the author, the art and the synopsis and maybe checking some reviews...although at times I might just grab a manga at random just by looking at the cover art
Oct 11, 2016 2:16 AM

Apr 2015
Hm, it's very limited with manga. I don't want to waste my time reading something bad. I also go into something with a lot of past research on it, or a recommendation from a reliable source. I stay clear of a lot of genres with manga as well, and stick to shit I know will interest me, or at least I hope.
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.
Oct 11, 2016 2:19 AM

Dec 2015
I just go to the most popular manga and check the synopsis, if it's good I'm gonna read it. Also I read the ones which weren't fully adapted in an anime, I also check out the recommendations there etc etc.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 11, 2016 5:29 AM

Jan 2015
I don't read manga that much so mostly i choose by hearing good thing about them or finish anime version and start right after it.
Some of I pick up after i read synopsis.
Oct 11, 2016 5:31 AM

Sep 2015
My friend reccomended me a manga called "Nekota no koto ga ki ni natte shimatta" and it's the best thing i've ever stumbled upon so far.
bless my friend
"This signature is under construction." ~Fabuubz
Oct 11, 2016 8:53 AM

Dec 2015
Back then...I only read manga after watching the anime.
Then I started to read base on the sypnosis
Then when I had a lot of free time before, I decided to read base on genre. I click the genre for shoujo and decided to read every manga listed for that.
But now I am only reading what will be in new manga list for shoujo and updates for ongoing manga that I read.
Nunnally03Oct 11, 2016 4:26 PM
Oct 11, 2016 9:23 AM

Dec 2015
When I choose manga, I tend to stay within my favourite genre's and look through the database until I find one that interests me.

Or with the manga club I'm in, monthly reads are suggested and I always look through those.

Oct 11, 2016 12:02 PM
Jul 2018
First off sorry everyone for my delayed responses, I'm just getting over a bad stomach and head cold... -_- Been immobilized for most of the morning and afternoon.

lady_freyja said:
Having genres, authors that you like (or specifically want to read) and others things like that. It helps filtering your choice.
And the art-style obviously.

That, is for putting something in my Plan to Read list. For picking something from my PTR list… it's random…

Yes, those definitely things to consider. I guess I just don't really know how to go about adding this type of structure to my PTR list. I view manga as manga, from a broad sense, all the while realizing that not every manga is as good as the other. But I will consider putting more thought into the types of genre's, author's, I like to read from this point on. Thanks!

atKatlin said:
I definitely search them not just pick any random because reading takes time and I got my hands full since watching anime and reading manga has become my dilemma of which is which. I search for the top manga of each genre I want to read. Well, you can go to anime and manga recommendation if you don't have any idea.

Interesting, I'll try that out. Choosing your favorite genre, and the most popular manga of that particular genre seems like a good way to decide on what to read.

4evaDC said:
Sort of random. I borrow from a library so it's highly dependent on what's available.

But even with that, there's still so much to read. Besides the ones I've already started, I usually check out stuff I've never heard before or those with recent publishing dates. The reason for this is because I want to know what's fairly recent or what someone thought was good enough to publish in English.

As much as possible, I avoid the titles that I hear about often. I try to distance myself from the hype first so that I can read without expectations.

I do the same thing for the most part, but have been guilty of starting up manga that is highly known like Naruto, Bleach, etc. I guess these are what I would consider starter ups to get myself more acquainted with what's popular to some at least until I start discovering those precious gems for myself that are not as known. I tend to distance myself from hype as well.

omy785 said:
That depends...usually I do a little "research", like at least to know the genre, the author, the art and the synopsis and maybe checking some reviews...although at times I might just grab a manga at random just by looking at the cover art

I guess that sums it up that there really is no easy way to discover good manga unless the reader is willing to put some time into researching what the best options are for his individual taste. I like the idea of reading up on reviews to get a better idea what to read.

Noxious_ said:
Hm, it's very limited with manga. I don't want to waste my time reading something bad. I also go into something with a lot of past research on it, or a recommendation from a reliable source. I stay clear of a lot of genres with manga as well, and stick to shit I know will interest me, or at least I hope.

Once again, this takes me back to putting so much time into the research part in order to discover good manga reading material. I will definitely put this knowledge to good use.

joe_g7 said:
I just go to the most popular manga and check the synopsis, if it's good I'm gonna read it. Also I read the ones which weren't fully adapted in an anime, I also check out the recommendations there etc etc.

This takes me back to combining favorite genre with most popular series of that favorite genre. Seems like a legit way to to find good series. I'll definitely be adding this method to my future manga searches.

DayumNagito said:
I don't read manga that much so mostly i choose by hearing good thing about them or finish anime version and start right after it.
Some of I pick up after i read synopsis.

This is what I've been doing for a few manga on my list. I had finished watching everything for the adaptation for each one, liked the series enough, and then decided to return to the printed version some time after.

Fabuubz said:
My friend reccomended me a manga called "Nekota no koto ga ki ni natte shimatta" and it's the best thing i've ever stumbled upon so far.
bless my friend

Recommendations like these are great, especially when your friend thinks of various qualities that you possess that corresponds with that particular title. I've had friends relate anime with my tastes a few times in the past, too.

Nunnally03 said:
Back then...I only read manga after watching the anime.
Then I started to read base on the sypnosis
Then when I had a lot of free time before, I decided to watch base on genre. I click the genre for shoujo and decided to watch every manga listed for that.
But now I am only reading what will be in new manga list for shoujo and updates for ongoing manga that I read.

Interesting, I am definitely going to look into reading the synopsis for these series based on their respective genre's. This method has been brought up more than once, so I'm going to take ownership of it.

ClavisM said:
When I choose manga, I tend to stay within my favourite genre's and look through the database until I find one that interests me.

Or with the manga club I'm in, monthly reads are suggested and I always look through those.

This is a good idea, I also tend to find reading material (mostly of the supernatural or fantasy genre) that appeals to me the most, so I can relate with your desire to stick to genre's that are preferable to you. Also, joining a club might be a good way to get updates and such for future series of my preferred genre's.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all the input everyone! ^^
Oct 11, 2016 1:01 PM

Aug 2016
I don't know, it just kind of happens. Sometime I'll be on the look-out for stuff by mangakas I like or something. (Twitter is really useful for this since most mangakas I like have an account ^^). Most of the time, it's just spam mail that Amazon JP is constantly sending me. Surprisingly effective spam mail. They really know what I like and make me want to spend my pay in half a minute. (If only eBay or whatever else online shop I use were this effective xD)

But yeah, mostly I'll go by titile or cover, then look up a bit of what it's about, maybe some of the characters and go with that.
Oct 11, 2016 1:42 PM
Jul 2018
ChibiRico8 said:
I don't know, it just kind of happens. Sometime I'll be on the look-out for stuff by mangakas I like or something. (Twitter is really useful for this since most mangakas I like have an account ^^). Most of the time, it's just spam mail that Amazon JP is constantly sending me. Surprisingly effective spam mail. They really know what I like and make me want to spend my pay in half a minute. (If only eBay or whatever else online shop I use were this effective xD)

But yeah, mostly I'll go by titile or cover, then look up a bit of what it's about, maybe some of the characters and go with that.

How I know about insta' spending on good anime merchandise. I've been down that road once or twice before (metaphorically speaking -- more like, the past 3+ years of my life lol) I can understand what you mean by how it all just kind of happens. It's basically a mix of random selections, recommendations, and researched finds. I guess I just kind of felt unorganized with how I was going about my manga selections lol. Mostly they were all just chosen on the whim!
Oct 11, 2016 2:38 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
If it looks interesting by its cover art or synopsis, just start reading it. You'll eventually start to cater to your own tastes the more you read manga. Once you find stuff you like you'll be able to search specifically for mangakas or genres you like too.

Personally, though, I'll admit. I look far more at the cover art than the synopsis when I consider reading something. Some synopsis' are very vague or generic, but the manga itself could be more interesting than it makes it sound.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Oct 11, 2016 2:43 PM

Jan 2015
Im a big fan of romance. There are not a ton of romance anime that I havent seen that interest me, so I just look up romance manga and there are a ton. Or if I watch a anime and I check out its adapation like Oregairu, My Hero Academia, spice and wolf, etc.
Oct 11, 2016 3:03 PM
Jul 2018
Toarujisuru said:
If it looks interesting by its cover art or synopsis, just start reading it. You'll eventually start to cater to your own tastes the more you read manga. Once you find stuff you like you'll be able to search specifically for mangakas or genres you like too.

Personally, though, I'll admit. I look far more at the cover art than the synopsis when I consider reading something. Some synopsis' are very vague or generic, but the manga itself could be more interesting than it makes it sound.

I tend to do the same thing the more I think about it. For instance, I just started a manga by the title "Heart" and it was the front cover -- cute Shoujo girl look -- that got me interested in reading it. But 8/10 of the time it stands to be true that the front cover art often shows the quality of what's inside the manga, especially it the character designs appeal and look interesting!

WisestOne said:
Im a big fan of romance. There are not a ton of romance anime that I havent seen that interest me, so I just look up romance manga and there are a ton. Or if I watch a anime and I check out its adapation like Oregairu, My Hero Academia, spice and wolf, etc.

Yes, it's a safe zone to focus on the select top types of genre's when choosing what to watch or read. This is how I will more than likely go about my future selections. I am also a fan of the romance genre as well.
Oct 11, 2016 4:38 PM

Oct 2016
This is a good question, and one that I can't quite determine myself. I have a list on my phone of manga that I would like to read in the future, and the criteria are as follows:

1) Is the manga complete (or almost complete) with all volumes available for purchase? (Not counting the ridiculously priced OOP ones.)

In general, I tend to go for completed manga, as opposed to keeping up with the newest trends. I just can't handle waiting several months between volumes!

2) How old is the manga? Aka, how likely is it to go out of print?

Anything that's either been released recently or is ridiculously popular will likely stay in print for a few more years. But older stuff? That could go any day. Better snap it up!

3) How long is the series?

Typically, I don't like long series. I am staying the hell away from the Narutos, Bleaches and One Pieces of the world, or indeed anything that comes close. Part of the reason is that I can rarely bring myself to truly give up on a series part way through, and will generally see it through to the end. If that means buying 30+ volumes, then I'm staying the hell away in favour of shorter series.

4) How well received is the anime in comparison?

Once in a blue moon, when the stars align, hell freezes over, pigs fly and 4kids does something good in the world, an anime gets released that's somehow superior to its manga counterpart. (Or at least, according to the general consensus) In cases like these, I may just watch the anime instead.

5) How well received is the manga in general?

This is the tricky one, since many fans will swear by certain series to be masterpieces while others would call them a tragic waste of ink. I have certain preferences, typically dark seinen, usually horror, thriller or drama related. (That said, I've been expanding my horizons a little with romance and shouted battle series.) So the hard part is deciding which to take the plunge with, and that can sometimes be a spur of the moment thing. It could be someone recommends it in a manga video, or that I see it for cheap online. There is of course one other thing...

6) Is it well known?

Look, it gets really embarrassing when people ask for "underrated" or "underappreciated" manga and I see people respond with: (embrace the cringe) Bakuman (Yeah, not popular at all) Berserk (Yup, nobody's heard of Berserk) Slam Dunk (Multi million seller, sure, but it's below Naruto, so therefore unheard of) Uzumaki (Not as if it's the single most revered horror manga of all time, is it?) I mean, really, people!? For fork's sake...

It's not that I'm a hipster (even though I am) but part of me would like to try lesser known manga series as well as the super-popular heavy hitters. Otherwise our collections will all look the same, damn. It feels good to read something that many may have overlooked, and it makes it that little bit more rewarding when it turns out to be brilliant.

So there. I think that about covers it!
Oct 11, 2016 5:08 PM
Jul 2018
Soho-Jin said:
This is a good question, and one that I can't quite determine myself. I have a list on my phone of manga that I would like to read in the future, and the criteria are as follows:

1) Is the manga complete (or almost complete) with all volumes available for purchase? (Not counting the ridiculously priced OOP ones.)

In general, I tend to go for completed manga, as opposed to keeping up with the newest trends. I just can't handle waiting several months between volumes!

2) How old is the manga? Aka, how likely is it to go out of print?

Anything that's either been released recently or is ridiculously popular will likely stay in print for a few more years. But older stuff? That could go any day. Better snap it up!

3) How long is the series?

Typically, I don't like long series. I am staying the hell away from the Narutos, Bleaches and One Pieces of the world, or indeed anything that comes close. Part of the reason is that I can rarely bring myself to truly give up on a series part way through, and will generally see it through to the end. If that means buying 30+ volumes, then I'm staying the hell away in favour of shorter series.

4) How well received is the anime in comparison?

Once in a blue moon, when the stars align, hell freezes over, pigs fly and 4kids does something good in the world, an anime gets released that's somehow superior to its manga counterpart. (Or at least, according to the general consensus) In cases like these, I may just watch the anime instead.

5) How well received is the manga in general?

This is the tricky one, since many fans will swear by certain series to be masterpieces while others would call them a tragic waste of ink. I have certain preferences, typically dark seinen, usually horror, thriller or drama related. (That said, I've been expanding my horizons a little with romance and shouted battle series.) So the hard part is deciding which to take the plunge with, and that can sometimes be a spur of the moment thing. It could be someone recommends it in a manga video, or that I see it for cheap online. There is of course one other thing...

6) Is it well known?

Look, it gets really embarrassing when people ask for "underrated" or "underappreciated" manga and I see people respond with: (embrace the cringe) Bakuman (Yeah, not popular at all) Berserk (Yup, nobody's heard of Berserk) Slam Dunk (Multi million seller, sure, but it's below Naruto, so therefore unheard of) Uzumaki (Not as if it's the single most revered horror manga of all time, is it?) I mean, really, people!? For fork's sake...

It's not that I'm a hipster (even though I am) but part of me would like to try lesser known manga series as well as the super-popular heavy hitters. Otherwise our collections will all look the same, damn. It feels good to read something that many may have overlooked, and it makes it that little bit more rewarding when it turns out to be brilliant.

So there. I think that about covers it!

Wow, that was excellent. Thanks for sharing those key points with me! I definitely agree that from a collector's standpoint, it is important to make sure that these series are 1. affordable enough and not taking up an overly large amount of shelf room so that other series go without a spot depending on such sizes as the Narutos, Bleaches, One Pieces, etc, and 2. Not so old that they may have probably gone out of print several years before the series was ever discovered lol. These are great factors to consider.

I will read a bigger series like Naruto, Bleach, etc, but only digitally. I will not buy a series that has tens and tens of volumes for that series. I personally like reading lengthy series, but I have to consider that there is a lot of series out there, and making room for all my favorites prioritizes having room for just a few that, in some measures, are not even my favorites, just well known.

I have been looking for manga within the chapter range of 50 chapters per manga, so I may just have to take your advice on considering the overall length of these manga series, which will, in turn, break down my options, and make it less over-whelming based on its overall size.

Thanks for your thoughts on this discussion!
Oct 11, 2016 5:14 PM

Jul 2013
i just look at sites like mal and school down until i find a suitable one then google the shit out of it, if good enough it'll be added to the ever expanding list.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Oct 11, 2016 5:54 PM
Jul 2018
Fuchsia said:
i just look at sites like mal and school down until i find a suitable one then google the shit out of it, if good enough it'll be added to the ever expanding list.

This is a good method, to find the anime, and then do a little bit of digging into the series before actually taking the time to commit to chapters of it. I generally like to know what I'm getting myself into before actually committing to each manga, too, even if I only know a general consensus of what it is I am about to start, and ultimately finish to the end.
Oct 11, 2016 7:15 PM

Dec 2015
Honestly favorite lists are extremely repetitive here (mine included), after a while you start to notice what is extremely popular and/or acclaimed by reviewers and hipsters and you just pick it up out of curiosity. It's generally not that hard to find someone with similar taste to yours, just check out what he loved that you haven't watched yet and your "Plan to Read" list will grow fairly quickly.
Oct 11, 2016 8:27 PM
Jul 2018
KingRequiem said:
Honestly favorite lists are extremely repetitive here (mine included), after a while you start to notice what is extremely popular and/or acclaimed by reviewers and hipsters and you just pick it up out of curiosity. It's generally not that hard to find someone with similar taste to yours, just check out what he loved that you haven't watched yet and your "Plan to Read" list will grow fairly quickly.

That is a really good bit of advice you've given there. That is aligned with how I tend to naturally go about building my lists and such. I've been paying a visit to some lists from some other anime fans that I consider to have good taste in anime, and have been getting some ideas from their lists. What lead me to writing the OP for this thread was that I figured by stealing ideas off other peoples' lists, I was being somewhat unoriginal to that of my own lists? But I guess that type of thinking is only self-induced and personal. It shouldn't matter how manga is found, as long as it aligns with each persons individual tastes, and is enjoyed.
Oct 11, 2016 11:17 PM
Jul 2018
Soho-Jin said:

KingRequiem said:
Honestly favorite lists are extremely repetitive here (mine included), after a while you start to notice what is extremely popular and/or acclaimed by reviewers and hipsters and you just pick it up out of curiosity.

Yup, MAL is working like a big hit-parade of manga in the West.
For some random reasons (but most of the time not because they're masterpieces) some manga take the lead. Then people tend to read top-rated manga with a lot of readers, and things goes like that.

In the end, you have a little bunch of manga well rated with a tons of readers, and tons of completely ignored manga, independently of their quality.

Exactly like most people are listening to the same music.
removed-userOct 11, 2016 11:20 PM
Oct 11, 2016 11:55 PM
Sep 2012
lady_freyja said:
Soho-Jin said:

KingRequiem said:
Honestly favorite lists are extremely repetitive here (mine included), after a while you start to notice what is extremely popular and/or acclaimed by reviewers and hipsters and you just pick it up out of curiosity.

Yup, MAL is working like a big hit-parade of manga in the West.
For some random reasons (but most of the time not because they're masterpieces) some manga take the lead. Then people tend to read top-rated manga with a lot of readers, and things goes like that.

In the end, you have a little bunch of manga well rated with a tons of readers, and tons of completely ignored manga, independently of their quality.

Exactly like most people are listening to the same music.

That's why people shouldn't base their choices on MAL's tendencies (but rather check many different sources)...
Oct 11, 2016 11:57 PM

Mar 2016
I tend to chose the ones that has unique or "weird" covers.
Oct 12, 2016 2:47 AM

Oct 2016
Fuchsia said:

I've found this method to be pretty dangerous, and not just for manga. So many times I'll search for info on something only to have the entire story ruined by a major spoiler. I'm the kind of person who hates having even the slightest details (beyond the basic synopsis) revealed to me, so quite often I just go in blind. It especially annoys me when reviewers basically tell you everything, and then say "I don't want to spoil everything, but I will say there is a big twist in the ending!" or something like that. Yeah, thanks. No need for me to read it now! >:(

Hell, I even had part of Death Note ruined for me (haven't read it yet, never watched the anime, I'm late to the party, okay?) because I'd watched the anime intros on YouTube, and so a video was put in my recommended list that ruined a particular plot point with just the mere title alone. Damn it! I wanted to go in blind! :(

This is actually another advantage of going after more unknown series; you're less likely to have it ruined simply because fewer people know about it.
Oct 12, 2016 3:45 AM

Jul 2013
Soho-Jin said:
Fuchsia said:

I've found this method to be pretty dangerous, and not just for manga. So many times I'll search for info on something only to have the entire story ruined by a major spoiler. I'm the kind of person who hates having even the slightest details (beyond the basic synopsis) revealed to me, so quite often I just go in blind. It especially annoys me when reviewers basically tell you everything, and then say "I don't want to spoil everything, but I will say there is a big twist in the ending!" or something like that. Yeah, thanks. No need for me to read it now! >:(

Hell, I even had part of Death Note ruined for me (haven't read it yet, never watched the anime, I'm late to the party, okay?) because I'd watched the anime intros on YouTube, and so a video was put in my recommended list that ruined a particular plot point with just the mere title alone. Damn it! I wanted to go in blind! :(

This is actually another advantage of going after more unknown series; you're less likely to have it ruined simply because fewer people know about it.

Haha, well I mean that I read the synopsis, look at pictures of the art, and possibly even read a few reviews, so far I haven't been majorly spoiled.

Sometimes descriptions are just SOO vague that I find it necessary to research into it a bit, like Tower of god for example.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Oct 12, 2016 4:02 AM

Oct 2016
Art and character design is very important.

At least even if the story is not to par as per the expectations, I can still look at them.

So I look at the art and character design and then the story. I rarely drop a manga unless the main lead pisses me off big time.
Oct 12, 2016 9:45 AM

Dec 2015

If you want to join a club, you could join the one I'm in (Antiquity MC) if you click the link on my Sig.

Oct 12, 2016 10:01 AM
Jul 2018
xiashenghan said:
Art and character design is very important.

At least even if the story is not to par as per the expectations, I can still look at them.

So I look at the art and character design and then the story. I rarely drop a manga unless the main lead pisses me off big time.

Yes, it does help to have nice crisp art/animation when reading a series, but as well there should be a consistency. Some series that have really nice artwork for it tend to lack in the plot-department lol. Whereas I've seen some series that weren't animated all that good but the plot within it was told really good, which made up for the lack of animation quality.

ClavisM said:

If you want to join a club, you could join the one I'm in (Antiquity MC) if you click the link on my Sig.

Nice, I will check it out!

Edit: Could you send me the link to that Club? I see Club names that go by a similar name, but can't seem to find one by the title you shared.
Oct 12, 2016 10:19 AM

Oct 2016
crimsonYukito said:
Yes, it does help to have nice crisp art/animation when reading a series, but as well there should be a consistency. Some series that have really nice artwork for it tend to lack in the plot-department lol. Whereas I've seen some series that weren't animated all that good but the plot within it was told really good, which made up for the lack of animation quality.

It's rare for a manga to have the complete package.
Oct 12, 2016 6:24 PM
Jul 2018
xiashenghan said:
crimsonYukito said:

It's rare for a manga to have the complete package.

So true, that is why I am often in my glory when I come across such titles!
Oct 12, 2016 7:42 PM

Jun 2012
Pretty much whatever looks interesting at the book store. 95% of the manga I read these days is stuff I have bought, and I choose the series to read by just looking through them and reading the first through chapters. Sometimes I will just choose a series because I have heard of it, or because there is an anime adaptation coming out / I have watched and I want to see how the manga compares.

The other like 5% comes from series I have heard a lot about and want to check out, but there are no physical copies in the west yet. I only pick up these series when I hear a lot of good things about them.
Oct 12, 2016 8:27 PM
Jul 2018
Raith94 said:
Pretty much whatever looks interesting at the book store. 95% of the manga I read these days is stuff I have bought, and I choose the series to read by just looking through them and reading the first through chapters. Sometimes I will just choose a series because I have heard of it, or because there is an anime adaptation coming out / I have watched and I want to see how the manga compares.

The other like 5% comes from series I have heard a lot about and want to check out, but there are no physical copies in the west yet. I only pick up these series when I hear a lot of good things about them.

Nice, this is a good way to express interest in manga, to actually go out, and buy the series based on the overall feel these series gave off. I have done the same for a few specific titles in my manga collection, but for the most part have just been reading the digital versions of manga. Even so, the way you go about manga reading is definitely the most authentic.

I am also strongly influenced to pick up a manga after hearing so many good things about the series. Also, I seem to be highly influenced by those who recommend a manga for me and saying something along the lines of... "I think you will like this series." -- it some how makes me even more curious and eager to experience the series for myself, whether it be good, so-so, or bad.
Oct 13, 2016 9:46 AM

Dec 2015
crimsonYukito said:
ClavisM said:

Edit: Could you send me the link to that Club? I see Club names that go by a similar name, but can't seem to find one by the title you shared.

Here you go
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=70196

Oct 13, 2016 1:29 PM
Jul 2018
Butterflymansion said:
I tend to chose the ones that has unique or "weird" covers.

This has been an alternative means of choosing some anime and manga for me as well. I will consider this option as well for future selections.
Oct 13, 2016 1:29 PM
Jul 2018
ClavisM said:
crimsonYukito said:

Here you go

Thanks, I'll check it out now!
Oct 13, 2016 2:45 PM

Dec 2015
crimsonYukito said:
ClavisM said:

Here you go

The Antiquity Manga Club is indeed a very good way to familiarize yourself and discover new stuff, I would definitely participate in the read alongs if I had enough time on my hands and could actually keep up with schedules lol.
Oct 14, 2016 12:13 AM
Nov 2013
I guess I usually pick by random too... Though sometimes I do read a manga because I heard about it word of mouth...
Oct 14, 2016 4:40 AM

Oct 2015
well i follow various methods for it
firstly i would look top mangas or underated mangas of a particular genre i am in mood to read.
then i search on it and read a summery
if i like it i read it.
occasionally i do random searches and read whatever manga i get (not the best method but if your lucky you just might find a hidden gem)
also i ask people with similar taste like mine for suggestion.
Oct 14, 2016 8:45 AM
Jul 2018
KingRequiem said:
crimsonYukito said:

The Antiquity Manga Club is indeed a very good way to familiarize yourself and discover new stuff, I would definitely participate in the read alongs if I had enough time on my hands and could actually keep up with schedules lol.

Yes I've always found that by discovering a series has always left a bigger impression on me than say to just choose a series at random. Anime and manga really are like gems in a minefield. Only way to uncover them is to chip away at the rock that surrounds them. Also, my schedule has been tight these days as well, trying to put only a said amount of time into each area of interest so that I can fit room for everything else. Not enough hours in the day! x.x

Scott said:
I just look through stuff and see if it'll be interesting...or in the case of Deadman Wonderland, if I want a closure to an anime.

Doing any length of research on a manga before reading it can really help break things down. This is how I will be going about getting into my future series as well. May check out AMV's or reviews, things like that, to see how the series feels to me.

Shikona said:
I guess I usually pick by random too... Though sometimes I do read a manga because I heard about it word of mouth...

Hearing about a manga by word of mouth can definitely have a lasting impression. I've found out about a few titles on my list through that means.

Rohit_Menon said:
well i follow various methods for it
firstly i would look top mangas or underated mangas of a particular genre i am in mood to read.
then i search on it and read a summery
if i like it i read it.
occasionally i do random searches and read whatever manga i get (not the best method but if your lucky you just might find a hidden gem)
also i ask people with similar taste like mine for suggestion.

These are all good methods. Sometimes an underrated manga just needs to have the right type of genre to satisfy. Also getting suggestions by other people is a good way to go about it. I've done this a few times myself. There is quite a number of anime on my list that has been suggested and recommended to me.

More topics from this board

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

14 by Eziprez »»
5 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

380 by Kkulpanda »»
7 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

9 by Shirayukin »»
Yesterday, 6:55 PM

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

22 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 3:20 PM

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
Yesterday, 1:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.