Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think continuation or conclusion is important factor before you start watching an anime?

New
Oct 6, 2016 10:19 PM

Nov 2013
For example, you plan to watch anime A, which is adapted from manga. Then you check on manga websites before watching it, only to found that there are no translated version of it. Would you still watch it knowing that the chances for you to see the continuation of the story is low?

Back then I watch whatever anime I found interesting, but lately I've been turned off to watch a series that lacks availability of their source material (manga or light novel).

How about you? and why?

EDIT : The situation is, there are no source material that you can read. The translated manga version is not available anywhere, or the one who uploads the manga is on indefinite hiatus with only a few chapters translated. In a condition like this, will you still watch it? :)
JJHRTDOct 6, 2016 11:24 PM
Oct 6, 2016 10:22 PM
Jul 2018
I used to just watch everything regardless, now I am more careful but still I may read/watch something unfinished if I really, really want to
Oct 6, 2016 10:32 PM

Nov 2013
Darekmhn1 said:
I used to just watch everything regardless, now I am more careful but still I may read/watch something unfinished if I really, really want to

Yea, same. It's sad when we can't get the original source, and it made me avoid some shows. It's gonna be a disappointment to leave the series unfinished.
Oct 6, 2016 10:37 PM

May 2015
I think that I enjoy anime of which I haven't read the manga more than those that I did read it.
For example I kinda liked BNHA's manga and I was waiting for the anime but I couldn't bear it since I already knew what will happen.
I dropped naruto, bleach and one piece for the same reasons. However there are some shows like Hajime no ippo that I enjoyed a lot despite having read the manga when "rising" came out.
So no, one the contrary I am kinda turned off by series of which I read the source material (AoT, Onepunch man, Haikyuu). I can wait for the continuation of the anime as I do for some manga like HxH or Berserk with a faint hope.

Also I would add that if a show gets an anime adaptation it will get the surce material translated as well after not much time (Re:Zero).
zalOct 6, 2016 11:05 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2016 10:51 PM

Oct 2015
No, because otherwise you can't watch any anime from Madhouse.

I was not kidding ,most anime don't have proper conclusion, and you will miss a lot of good anime experience if you decided to watch only fully completed shows.

You could continue them with the original sources anyway if you are also a reader.

My only concern is if the show change the ending to a completely WORSE different story.
Oct 6, 2016 11:08 PM

Nov 2013
Flydaez said:

I was not kidding ,most anime don't have proper conclusion, and you will miss a lot of good anime experience if you decided to watch only fully completed shows.

You could continue them with the original sources anyway if you are also a reader.

My only concern is if the show change the ending to a completely WORSE different story.

Sorry I wasnt clear enough. I mean a show that doesnt have the source material available. For example, no scanlator picked the manga series of said anime. So basically after you watch the anime you can't read the source material either. Will you still watch it?
Oct 6, 2016 11:13 PM

Nov 2013
zal said:
I think that I enjoy anime of which I haven't read the manga more than those that I did read it.
For example I kinda liked BNHA's manga and I was waiting for the anime but I couldn't bear it since I already knew what will happen.
I dropped naruto, bleach and one piece for the same reasons. However there are some shows like Hajime no ippo that I enjoyed a lot despite having read the manga when "rising" came out.
So no, one the contrary I am kinda turned off by series of which I read the source material (AoT, Onepunch man, Haikyuu). I can wait for the continuation of the anime as I do for some manga like HxH or Berserk with a faint hope.

Also I would add that if a show gets an anime adaptation it will get the surce material translated as well after not much time (Re:Zero).

Yea, usually the source material will get translated too if an anime adaptation is announced, but some cases is the translation won't last long. A few chapters in and no more information from the scanlator.

Btw, I hope Berserk and HxH will continue smoothly without hiatus next time (we can dream right?)
Oct 6, 2016 11:16 PM

Jan 2015
I must be able to get a continuation or conclusion. I dont mind continuing into source material whether it be a LN or manga, though manga is easier to pick up.
Oct 6, 2016 11:19 PM

Nov 2013
WisestOne said:
I must be able to get a continuation or conclusion. I dont mind continuing into source material whether it be a LN or manga, though manga is easier to pick up.

Sorry I wasnt clear enough. What I meant is when we can't even read the source material either. Will you watch that anime?
Oct 6, 2016 11:20 PM

May 2015
jejehartadi said:
zal said:

Yea, usually the source material will get translated too if an anime adaptation is announced, but some cases is the translation won't last long. A few chapters in and no more information from the scanlator.

Btw, I hope Berserk and HxH will continue smoothly without hiatus next time (we can dream right?)
If it is something rather big like Re:Zero then I am pretty sure someone will translate it in case it is a seasonal that just started airing.
If there's no translation despite the anime having finished airing then I would make sure it is worth watching it or if it has an anime original ending.

Personally I never checked if there was a manga before starting an anime but only after I finished it. If I think the show might interest me then I will watch despite the availability of the original source, especially if it is a LN or VN since I don't read them at all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2016 11:21 PM

Dec 2015
I favour original works and titles that will offer a sense of conclusion. When something is based on a story, why bother with it if it does not resolve the situation it created.
Oct 6, 2016 11:22 PM

Jan 2015
jejehartadi said:
Sorry I wasnt clear enough. What I meant is when we can't even read the source material either. Will you watch that anime?
Oh man that is difficult. As someone who has only watched 55 days of anime, I could probably find something better that has a conclusion/continuation. I would try fairly hard to avoid it. Though sometimes anime just doesn't get another season. Like Spice and Wolf, Hyouka, and some others.
Oct 6, 2016 11:25 PM

Aug 2016
ya man in MY PEERSONAL OPINIONIONS i dont see a point in watching anime if there isnt a conlusion or if u know it got cancelled... UNLESS ITS SOL OR ECCHI OF COURSE
Oct 6, 2016 11:26 PM

Dec 2015
I don't really care, sure it would be a shame if i could not continue with the manga after the anime ends, but that's not going to stop me from watching the anime.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 6, 2016 11:28 PM

Jan 2008
It's important but it's not necessary. I'm sure most, if not everyone, would prefer a proper conclusive ending than a open ending or one that forces them to another medium just to finish. But that in itself is the problem with anime as most is made to advertise its source these days, so it's just something you can expect these days meaning it's no longer a surprise if you get a shitty end or a 'go read the manga' end. Its basically become a norm.
Oct 6, 2016 11:28 PM

Jun 2016
yes! I keep watching, cuz most of the manga manga, LN, VN and anime has different version. except the one follows the sources.

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Oct 6, 2016 11:38 PM

Nov 2013
Paul said:
It's important but it's not necessary. I'm sure most, if not everyone, would prefer a proper conclusive ending than a open ending or one that forces them to another medium just to finish. But that in itself is the problem with anime as most is made to advertise its source these days, so it's just something you can expect these days meaning it's no longer a surprise if you get a shitty end or a 'go read the manga' end. Its basically become a norm.

Haha, yup. The source material are just too long to be fully adapted into anime. I hope there will be more manga that has only 8-9 volumes which can be fully adapted only with 24-26 episodes.
Oct 6, 2016 11:51 PM

Aug 2015
Learn Japanese -> no problems anymore.

Honestly though, these conditions apply to a lot of anime but I don't care too much about it.
Oct 6, 2016 11:55 PM

Nov 2013
Kami-Koto said:
Learn Japanese -> no problems anymore.

Honestly though, these conditions apply to a lot of anime but I don't care too much about it.

I wish I can read all Japanese alphabets (including Kanji) so I can read raws lol.
Oct 7, 2016 12:36 AM

Jul 2012
For me no, it doesn't influence my decision to watch in anyway.
I basically never read the source material once I'm finished with a show so it having a lack of translators doesn't influence my decision to watch in anyway and I never check. Really the only thing I ever check is how much of the source material is covered which just requires a wiki page with named chapters/volumes and a bit of guess work.
Oct 7, 2016 12:42 AM

Sep 2015
If there is no satisfying end, i won't watch it
"This signature is under construction." ~Fabuubz
Oct 7, 2016 1:16 AM

Oct 2015
jejehartadi said:
Flydaez said:

Sorry I wasnt clear enough. I mean a show that doesnt have the source material available. For example, no scanlator picked the manga series of said anime. So basically after you watch the anime you can't read the source material either. Will you still watch it?

Now it depends, if the show is super interesting and will eventually have the proper ending I will watch and wait(just like most people did to One piece). This is the best case scenario.

In the other hand, if the show is just interesting enough to let me decide to watch it and ultimately did not enjoy it that much, I won't care about the ending(for me Deadman wonderland)

For the worst case scenario it is when anime is super interesting but happen be cliffhanging forever, I won't bother to start watching the show(like what I should have done with Berserk).
Oct 7, 2016 1:21 AM

May 2016
I used to try and find a continuation to an anime that I'm interested in or try to know if it has a satisfying conclusion (still do this sometimes) but most the time now I just watch what I enjoy and move on to the next.

Carbon is a chemical Element with symbol C and atomic number 6. It is nonmetallic and tetravalent—making four electrons available to form covalent chemical bonds.
Symbol: C
Atomic mass: 12.0107 u ± 0.0008 u
Atomic number: 6
Electron configuration: [He] 2s22p2
Discovered: 3750 BC
Electrons per shell: 2, 4
Oct 7, 2016 2:45 AM

Feb 2013
jejehartadi said:
For example, you plan to watch anime A, which is adapted from manga. Then you check on manga websites before watching it, only to found that there are no translated version of it. Would you still watch it knowing that the chances for you to see the continuation of the story is low?

Back then I watch whatever anime I found interesting, but lately I've been turned off to watch a series that lacks availability of their source material (manga or light novel).

How about you? and why?

EDIT : The situation is, there are no source material that you can read. The translated manga version is not available anywhere, or the one who uploads the manga is on indefinite hiatus with only a few chapters translated. In a condition like this, will you still watch it? :)
i never check source material translation status before starting the anime; only at most check mangaupdates to see how much the anime adapts of the manga.... i also prefer original anime

if it's not translated tough shit; i rarely follow the mango after the anime anyway

also, that's how the majority of light novel adaptations are
Oct 7, 2016 6:24 AM

Apr 2015
If a story isn't going to be finished, or at least have a decent kind of conclusion, I likely won't pick a series up. I made that mistake with Deadman Wonderland's anime, and it flustered me for years until I finally picked up the manga for it.
For this reason, I'm not going to ever bother with Berserk, or even the HunterxHunter manga, until they appear to be nearing an actual conclusion.

Edit: I typically do not care about the status of the source material of a work. There are some exceptions (The aforementioned Deadman Wonderland, and I may have no choice but to dive into the source material for the Fate franchise when I finally tackle it).
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Oct 7, 2016 6:36 AM

Jan 2014
Unless the anime is titled "Ranma 1/2", I don't mind.
“Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore, trust the physician and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.”
Oct 7, 2016 6:49 AM

Mar 2015
While I think that a solid conclusion is important, I don't really think about it when starting to watch an anime. Sure, it would suck if the anime ended with a massive cliffhanger, but what can you do. It would suck to possibly miss a decent anime just because of the chance of it not getting a conclusive ending.
Oct 7, 2016 7:08 AM

Jan 2016
Since I don't read mangas, I'm pretty pissed when an anime doesn't conclude it's story (first example that come to my mind is No Game No Life or Btooom).

It's also not that easy for me to get that information in before watching an anime. I don't like to get spoiled on story elements and therefore I almost completely avoid reading forum entries to an anime until I have finished it.
Oct 7, 2016 7:08 AM

Feb 2010
I could barely watch any anime if I only watched complete adaptions. Reading the source material after I watched the anime is something I'm not really into one way or the other. So overall I don't think I give a shit.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 7, 2016 9:39 PM

Oct 2016
Well I don't check these things before watching, so I am always pleasantly surprised or horribly disappointed after finishing a show
Oct 8, 2016 3:17 AM

May 2015
Yes. I view each an anime as standing on its own. I don't care that Code Geass has a second season. The first one shouldn't just end abprutly.

You don't split seasons or episodes because you ran out of length. You don't even split scenes because of that. Each element must be self-contained to make its meaning come through.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 8, 2016 3:58 AM

Aug 2013
Doesn't really matter. I'll watch it, and trust that the studio knows what it's doing, and is not fucking up a story that's actually good(as they tend to do a lot). But there's plenty of other anime out there...
Oct 8, 2016 4:49 AM
Feb 2016
I never really care if the story is finished or not, tbh.

More topics from this board

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 12 hours ago

21 by Orokanatenshi »»
4 minutes ago

» I really wish that more animes had re-caps

Atmogenic - 16 minutes ago

7 by Atmogenic »»
5 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 52 minutes ago

11 by MasterTasuke »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 5 hours ago

24 by APolygons2 »»
11 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 4 hours ago

21 by PlasticRobot »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.