Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 5, 2016 9:21 AM

Jun 2011
Hey,

I would like to know something about the current trend in the anime industry.

These recent years we have seen an increase of animes where the main cast is of the same gender and sometimes even all the cast. (Idols, magical girls, ...)
Just for this season I counted 16 titles that fall into this category ! That is just too many !!

So are these animes so much popular among otakus ? Do they sell that much ?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 5, 2016 9:29 AM

Feb 2013
ew why would you want mixed gender idols
Oct 5, 2016 9:32 AM

Feb 2016
There can never be too many all-female cast animes. I need more.
Oct 5, 2016 9:42 AM

Aug 2015
I prefer a mixed cast, but it's pretty standard for certain genres like sports or magical girl. And I can imagine an all-female cast to sell more figures and stuff.
Oct 5, 2016 9:57 AM

Apr 2015
Idols and magical girls are pretty much always single gender though.
Oct 5, 2016 10:03 AM

Feb 2016
But how can a boy even be a magical girl?
Oct 5, 2016 10:05 AM

Apr 2015
OneNaughtyBear said:

Well, there's a certain series this season that's...
Oct 5, 2016 10:09 AM

Jun 2011
romagia said:
ew why would you want mixed gender idols

I never said I wanted Idols animes -_-".

parfaitgay said:

Your name would suggest otherwise...

Kami-Koto said:
I prefer a mixed cast, but it's pretty standard for certain genres like sports or magical girl. And I can imagine an all-female cast to sell more figures and stuff.

I guess Figures and goodies would be a good reason for anime industries to produce things like that. But they represent almost 50% of airing animes if not more...

BrandNew_Lanz said:
Idols and magical girls are pretty much always single gender though.

True, I meant there are too many per seasons, it could result in some competition for sales.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2016 10:17 AM

Jun 2011
OneNaughtyBear said:

I don't want more magical (girls) animes too >_>.
Oct 5, 2016 10:24 AM

Jun 2014
I'm not sure how popular they are, but I've seen lots of all-female cast Anime that were great. Gall Force is an awesome example.

Oct 5, 2016 10:25 AM

Sep 2012
Seiya0890 said:
OneNaughtyBear said:

I don't want more magical (girls) animes too >_>.

Fun fact:It's from this season.I can't imagine the process tho.
Oct 5, 2016 10:28 AM

Feb 2016
@Seiya0890

I fail to see your point. Women can be gay too.
Gay is just another word for homosexual.
Oct 5, 2016 10:44 AM

Jun 2011
parfaitgay said:
@Seiya0890

I fail to see your point. Women can be gay too.
Gay is just another word for homosexual.

Is that so ? my bad, in my language we use the same word too for homo but only for men.
Oct 5, 2016 11:28 AM
Aug 2016
OneNaughtyBear said:

MUH MAHOU SHOJOU wat have they done
;(
Oct 5, 2016 1:34 PM
Jul 2018
All female anime have the potential to be yuri, so there's never enough of it.
Oct 5, 2016 1:36 PM

Mar 2016
I'm sick of all female casts. These moe anime need to get away from me.
Most all male cast anime are full of fanservice, so I can't say I like most of them.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Oct 5, 2016 1:43 PM

Jul 2013
You just have based JoJo, who is very popular in Japan.
Oct 5, 2016 1:48 PM

Oct 2014
OneNaughtyBear said:
Shugo Chara and Cardcaptor Sakura both have mixed casts and equal numbers of mahou shoujo and mahou shounen. Both series have some gender confusion going on, though.

@OP I do like mixed casts, but all female casts are nice too. A lot of otaku do prefer anime will all girls, though, and fujoshi like their men to only have other men to fall in love with.
Oct 5, 2016 2:12 PM

Sep 2015
The audience feels like they are in a harem when watching the shows. To be honest, harem anime have one thing in common: annoying MC. Who doesn't love an anime with just boobies or dicks?

The reason why there are so many of these types of anime in this season is because the audience wants them. And in addition, one-gender cast offers the fans to let their imagination roam, which means doujinshi and merch sells a lot.
Oct 5, 2016 4:34 PM

Apr 2014
You count 16 titles, from how many seasons? There have always been and always will be more mixed gender casts.
Oct 5, 2016 4:36 PM

Nov 2012
Nobody likes to have women in their yaoi!
Oct 5, 2016 5:56 PM

Mar 2016
I think it targets one specific demographic. It's something mostly girls are interested in = just have an all-female cast. Simple and common, I know. But, it makes money.
Mrs. Landingham, what's next?
Oct 5, 2016 5:58 PM

Nov 2013
all female shows kinda gets tame over time, at least imo...kinda hard to ship them if there are no male characters in the whole anime
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Oct 5, 2016 6:01 PM

Feb 2015
parfaitgay said:

I agree... I need to expand my waifu list and my fapping list...
Oct 5, 2016 6:04 PM

Jul 2015
Now that you've mentioned it, I need more New Game and Love Live lol

I miss em already

Oct 5, 2016 11:57 PM
Aug 2010
I think it's fairly typical for idol anime and sports anime. Not much of a problem, really. If a character of the other gender doesn't fit, then I don't care if they're omitted.
まぁ、全部嘘だけどね。
Oct 6, 2016 12:06 AM

Mar 2015
Because waifus. Do you want your idol or mahou shoujo anime to have some dude prancing around in it?
Oct 6, 2016 12:10 AM

Dec 2015
That is one of the problems anime is facing. All-female casts are only used as fanservice, and the volume of vomit-worthy fanservice anime has only grown with time. I find myself disgusted with them, but at least they're actually letting women be protagonists. It's a step forward for the likes of Japan I suppose.
Oct 6, 2016 2:57 AM

Jul 2009
CherryLover said:
That is one of the problems anime is facing. All-female casts are only used as fanservice, and the volume of vomit-worthy fanservice anime has only grown with time. I find myself disgusted with them, but at least they're actually letting women be protagonists. It's a step forward for the likes of Japan I suppose.

Yeah. Even I was a bit surprised by Madoka Magica. It's a seinen anime full of cute girl, but there's barely a panty shot (unless I'm missed it).

Based on the popularity of Free!, Saint Seiya (in Southeast Asia), K-On!, etc etc and many mahou shoujo anime, I dare to say that it's very popular.
Oct 6, 2016 2:58 AM

Sep 2015
Honestly that would be so interesting to see
male and female idols in one group

Kyokutou said:
Yeah. Even I was a bit surprised by Madoka Magica. It's a seinen anime full of cute girl, but there's barely a panty shot (unless I'm missed it).

Why did you want a panty shot in Madoka? That would ruin the entire thing. The storyline is WAY too heavy matter for such a thing
"This signature is under construction." ~Fabuubz
Oct 6, 2016 3:06 AM

Jul 2009
Fabuubz said:

Kyokutou said:

Why did you want a panty shot in Madoka? That would ruin the entire thing. The storyline is WAY too heavy matter for such a thing

Err... no(?). I didnt said that I want fanservice in Madoka. I'm a woman myself and I prefer anime that don't have any fanservice. I just stated that I was surprised since I barely see seinen anime full of female cast with (almost) no fanservice. So, it's really refreshing to see Madoka.
Oct 6, 2016 3:09 AM

Sep 2015
Kyokutou said:
Fabuubz said:

Err... no(?). I didnt said that I want fanservice in Madoka. I'm a woman myself and I prefer anime that don't have any fanservice. I just stated that I was surprised since I barely see seinen anime full of female cast with (almost) no fanservice. So, it's really refreshing to see Madoka.

Yeah, exacly my point though!
Bless madoka, we need more seinen like these.
You really do not want to see the Corpse Party OVA if you're not into fanservice.
Oct 6, 2016 3:13 AM

Jul 2009
Fabuubz said:

Hehehe, yeah! Sorry if I caused any misunderstanding. english is not my first language.

Fabuubz said:

You really do not want to see the Corpse Party OVA if you're not into fanservice.

Oh, such a s shame. I plan to watch those show since I'm a huge fan or horror. Is the fanservice really intense? Like for every five second there's boob shot? Or is the story really good?
Oct 6, 2016 3:15 AM

Sep 2015
Kyokutou said:
Fabuubz said:

Hehehe, yeah! Sorry if I caused any misunderstanding. english is not my first language.

Fabuubz said:

Oh, such a s shame. I plan to watch those show since I'm a huge fan or horror. Is the fanservice really intense? Like for every five second there's boob shot? Or is the story really good?

Don't worry, i'm not native either. I'm sorry too.

Also, yeah basicly. You probably want to play the game(s) first.
The OVA doesn't add on to something, it's basicly just rushed animated scenes from the game. Mostly with panty or boob shots
Oct 6, 2016 6:22 AM

Apr 2010
OneNaughtyBear said:
Ask those who made Binan high school...

Oct 6, 2016 6:23 AM

Sep 2009
It's because they're now catering to specific audiences, which makes everything worse overall.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Oct 6, 2016 10:52 AM

Mar 2014
All gender animes works out for a lot of people so yeah, it widely targets everyone
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Oct 6, 2016 1:23 PM

Jun 2011
zombie_pegasus said:
OneNaughtyBear said:
Shugo Chara and Cardcaptor Sakura both have mixed casts and equal numbers of mahou shoujo and mahou shounen. Both series have some gender confusion going on, though.

@OP I do like mixed casts, but all female casts are nice too. A lot of otaku do prefer anime will all girls, though, and fujoshi like their men to only have other men to fall in love with.

Yeah something like Sakura is nice !

HikiMaru said:
The audience feels like they are in a harem when watching the shows. To be honest, harem anime have one thing in common: annoying MC. Who doesn't love an anime with just boobies or dicks?

The reason why there are so many of these types of anime in this season is because the audience wants them. And in addition, one-gender cast offers the fans to let their imagination roam, which means doujinshi and merch sells a lot.

I am not sure anime industries would make much money from doujinshi ?

GarlandReese said:
I think it targets one specific demographic. It's something mostly girls are interested in = just have an all-female cast. Simple and common, I know. But, it makes money.

Why are girls interested in all female cast ?

Sora_no_Umi said:
all female shows kinda gets tame over time, at least imo...kinda hard to ship them if there are no male characters in the whole anime

Yeah, and I am quite a big shipper, but not for homo...

OneTrueEmiya said:
Because waifus. Do you want your idol or mahou shoujo anime to have some dude prancing around in it?

For me the fact of seeing 2d girls as waifus is abnormal... They are not yours and will never be. But at least if there is a male its possible to "see" yourself as him...

MortalMelancholy said:
It's because they're now catering to specific audiences, which makes everything worse overall.

Gotta agree.

HueyLion said:
All gender animes works out for a lot of people so yeah, it widely targets everyone

How so ?

Milk_is_Special said:
You count 16 titles, from how many seasons? There have always been and always will be more mixed gender casts.

Nope, from this season, I am not kidding...

Seiya0890Oct 6, 2016 1:34 PM
Oct 6, 2016 1:38 PM

Sep 2015
@Seiya0890

I think it's more profitable towards the mangaka. Because sometimes the mangaka makes an official doujinshi based on their manga
Oct 6, 2016 1:52 PM

Mar 2016
Seiya0890 said:
zombie_pegasus said:

Yeah something like Sakura is nice !

HikiMaru said:

GarlandReese said:

Why are girls interested in all female cast ?

Sora_no_Umi said:

Yeah, and I am quite a big shipper, but not for homo...

OneTrueEmiya said:

For me the fact of seeing 2d girls as waifus is abnormal... They are not yours and will never be. But at least if there is a male its possible to "see" yourself as him...

MortalMelancholy said:

Gotta agree.

HueyLion said:

How so ?

Milk_is_Special said:

Nope, from this season, I am not kidding...

Because you want someone the viewer can relate to. Or insert themselves into. I'm not saying a girl can't imagine herself in the same position as or relate to a male lead, but odds are girls are going to relate to other girls.
Oct 6, 2016 1:52 PM

Jun 2011
HikiMaru said:
@Seiya0890

I think it's more profitable towards the mangaka. Because sometimes the mangaka makes an official doujinshi based on their manga

Actually, I remember reading an article on ANN that the anime industry that produced an anime usually does not profit from its manga success that could succeed.

GarlandReese said:

Because you want someone the viewer can relate to. Or insert themselves into. I'm not saying a girl can't imagine herself in the same position as or relate to a male lead, but odds are girls are going to relate to other girls.

I can understand girl that wish to relate to one from an anime, but are you telling me that most girls who watch animes want to think of themself in a world where no man exist ? full of yuri vibes ?
I think that all female cast anime are targeting a male area and vice versa. Just like @OneTrueEmiya said too many otakus think of their waifus like idols and don't want them in any romantic relation, unfortunatly...
Seiya0890Oct 7, 2016 7:10 AM
Oct 6, 2016 2:21 PM

Mar 2016
@Seiya0890

I think an entire cast from top to bottom of one gender limits the story potential. BUT, for some, it might be a welcome break from the real world. Who hasn't gone through a few bad encounters in the dating world and at some point been like, "I just wish all (wo)men would cease to exist!

Oh, there's a show like that? I think I'll check it out."
Oct 6, 2016 2:57 PM

Oct 2014
GarlandReese said:
If people need someone they can relate to them how come so many all female anime are targeted at males and all male anime are targeted at females? Things like K-On! and Free! beg to differ with your argument. There are also anime like Sailor Moon and Haikyuu that are targeted at the audience the same sex as their characters but also appeal to the opposite.
Oct 6, 2016 3:05 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
as long as its all cute/sexy girls then im all fucking in xD
Oct 6, 2016 3:13 PM

Mar 2016
zombie_pegasus said:
GarlandReese said:
If people need someone they can relate to them how come so many all female anime are targeted at males and all male anime are targeted at females? Things like K-On! and Free! beg to differ with your argument. There are also anime like Sailor Moon and Haikyuu that are targeted at the audience the same sex as their characters but also appeal to the opposite.

And I don't dispute that. My argument was only one aspect of of a single-gender Anime's selling point. I was trying to contribute to the discussion that the thread starter got going with his objection to what he feels is an excessive amount of shows dominated by one gender. Why are there so many? Because for reasons you stated and mine as well.
Oct 6, 2016 3:53 PM

Jun 2015
bcoz mixed cast ends up with a shitty romance angle
the all cast does that too, but yuri is better than most things so......
Oct 7, 2016 7:27 AM

Jun 2011
GarlandReese said:
@Seiya0890

I think an entire cast from top to bottom of one gender limits the story potential. BUT, for some, it might be a welcome break from the real world. Who hasn't gone through a few bad encounters in the dating world and at some point been like, "I just wish all (wo)men would cease to exist!

That could be one reason, but not enough to support the increase of this type of animes.

KuroudoAkabane said:

Not a valid argument, why straight romance is more shittier than yuri ? That would be your opinion but most viewers are straight people, even otakus are usually straight people. But for some reason, otakus tend to like watching their opposite sex character being free (available for them in their dreams ?) or with some relation with another char of the same sex... (dunno why...). But come on these animes are just plain boring (my opinion ofc), I admit I like seeing a bit of straight romance in animes, but I want some nice story with some originality. What is the point of doing in one season a dozen of anime similar to each other with no deph or complex story valuing just friendship ??
Seiya0890Oct 7, 2016 7:31 AM
Oct 7, 2016 8:57 AM

Feb 2015
They are popular lolol

'all-female cast' are rly popular because 'moe' is a huge thing in japan atm if u didn't notice

It also sells so there's that too

not really that hard to understand :l

don't know about 'all male cast' since I don't usually watch those, but i guess they sell well too??
Oct 7, 2016 9:05 AM

Jun 2016
K-On had a gender-mixed cast. Like..... Ton the turtle. Pretty sure he was a guy.

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Oct 8, 2016 9:18 AM

Jun 2015
Seiya0890 said:
GarlandReese said:
@Seiya0890

That could be one reason, but not enough to support the increase of this type of animes.

KuroudoAkabane said:

Not a valid argument, why straight romance is more shittier than yuri ? That would be your opinion but most viewers are straight people, even otakus are usually straight people. But for some reason, otakus tend to like watching their opposite sex character being free (available for them in their dreams ?) or with some relation with another char of the same sex... (dunno why...). But come on these animes are just plain boring (my opinion ofc), I admit I like seeing a bit of straight romance in animes, but I want some nice story with some originality. What is the point of doing in one season a dozen of anime similar to each other with no deph or complex story valuing just friendship ??
yeh yer right.
thats why I dont watch those anime.
they are just there. sooo many of them.

I like it when the romance is not a plot point but just there and the relationship is just established. with out any drama.
like it was done right in Yu yu hakusho with yusuke and keiko.
there are very few of those. almost no other who I've watched handled the romance bit like yyh.
most are harem crap.

and there's almost no mixed cast shows where the romance thing doesnt pop up.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 1 hour ago

9 by Alexioos95 »»
53 seconds ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 32 minutes ago

9 by Zimmu »»
4 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 19 minutes ago

1 by Nemo_Niemand »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 2 hours ago

17 by Zettaiken »»
9 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

232 by TheMinkalex »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.