Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 14, 2016 12:27 AM

Oct 2015
This anime was more about cheering up themselves than cheering for the team. Anyway it was a great motivation for young boys facing life crises and inspiring. I guess the writer was aiming at audience motivation rather than sportsmanship. In the end they never revealed if they won or not.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 24, 2016 5:22 AM
Jun 2016
They actually focus on the basic of cheerleading and what is a cheerleader instead of performances after performances after performances.

The ending to it is weird at first but when you think about it cheerleading is not about wining or losing. Is about supporting people, making them smile and inspired them
Dec 26, 2016 2:09 PM

Jun 2014
Unbelievably enough, this ended up being a very solid, straightforward sports series and it wasn't even close to being a fujo oriented show. I really have to say that I'm impressed, the characters actually had some decent development and even if they roles were minor, they threw in a lot of motivational stuff and this series really sends a bunch of positive messages from multiple perspectives. This show is literally about breaking through the problems you may come across in life and in this case, being involved in a sport where teamwork is crucial. Also, this show puts an emphasis on doing whatever you want and what makes you happy, despite what others think of you. The animation wasn't anything special, but who cares, when the show has so much character to it, plus this is a very unique sport which we'll probably never see an anime about ever again.

A potentially generous 7.5/10, I just had a fun time all the way through and this show had a ton of solid themes, I'm legit impressed.
:3
Dec 27, 2016 2:39 PM
Jun 2016
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, they really took their sweet time even in this episode for the buildup.

Seriously, the pacing of this show is almost laughable. The final performance was okay I guess? Breakers certainly did better than their previous runs.

Err... You do know the show has no story right??
You telling me there's a story in this description??
Haruki Bandou was born into a family of Judo marital artists and expected to continue the family legacy. But he’s about to trade Judo for…cheerleading?! When his childhood friend Kazuma Hashimoto invites him to join the BREAKERS, a male cheerleading club, Haru finds himself amongst a quirky group of boys. Can this squad of slightly odd and cute members make a breakthrough in college athletics?
Dec 29, 2016 9:56 PM

Mar 2015
The sharing of notebooks was a nice touch. But I'll probably forget I ever watched this anime down the line!

6/10
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 26, 2017 6:55 PM

Feb 2015
Huh... well, it's not bad? It's actually kind of nice. I just wanted more cheerleading
Apr 3, 2017 11:51 PM

Dec 2016
In my opinion, it was quite good, i really loved the atmosphere in the anime and also i became quite found of the main characters. I liked that the writers focused in give us a positive message, with this i mean that if you really tried and work hard you can reach your goals, specially when you are not doing it alone.

I will miss this anime :')
Feb 26, 2018 3:31 PM

Jan 2018
I wish there was more of the actual performance, considering we didn't get anything from the qualifiers. What we did get of their routine I enjoyed, so I just wanted more.
I will say, that single "thud" of the landing after their unified jump with the splits was a uniquely satisfying experience. Like watching a really good K-Pop dance practice.

I get it though. There was so much build up that I guess I figured out it was more about how the team helped them all to grow as individuals anyway. The way they handled the self-reflection notebooks was quite beautiful, I think. I'm happy overall with this series.
Jan 14, 2020 6:32 AM

Aug 2012
First 5 or so episodes of this were pretty decent, mainly because they actually focused on the cheerleading aspect of the show and the characters learning new skills. The show also spent time explaining some of the moves etc. It wasn't amazing or anything but it was decent and the characters were (while cheesy) fun to be around.

Then the group expands from 7 to 17 and immediately the show began to nose dive. It was just far too much to deal with. Just couldn't connect with that many characters, none of them really got that much of a chance to breath.

Then the story of the show goes from cheerleading to melodrama central. In the shows attempt to give each of this massive cast some sort of spotlight and character development we were suddenly rushed through a bunch of drama for each of them. Each situation less interesting than the last. Like the show was desperate for us to care about these characters but at 12 episodes the running time just wasn't there to allow for that.

Also somewhat ironically the show about characters desperate to make people 'Smile' through their cheerleading goes on a 6 episode jaunt of all the characters doing anything but that.

Seeing Haru get shot down effectively by the love interest the show served up for us was just the icing on a bad second half of this show. Like what was the purpose of that? Why even bother with that shit at all? It served zero purpose in building character or story. It was a twist for twists sake and did nothing but make me feel hurt for Haru.

Like I said at first I think this show was originally decent for those first 5 episodes. Nothing amazing but was a fun enough viewing. But man the next 7 episodes were such a misstep for me. Like the show just completely changed what it was about. I mean we don't actually see them practice, we seem them at every moment before or after practice but not when they actually practice. We don't learn about any new moves beyond the Pyramid thing. The second time we actually get to see them perform at all (and the first as a full 17 member squad) is over the credits of the final episode.

Anyway I waffled on long enough. 6/10 for me. Not the worst show in the world but could have been better without all that needless drama.
Apr 11, 2020 12:06 PM

Jun 2014
The rating is lower than I thought and also this wasn't so fujo bait than i thought. I just randomly click this anime even tho I always avoid fujo bait series. I only decided to finish this because of Sugita (VA of Mizo). Quite entertaining, some touching moments, i love their brotherhood but the drama was mediocre.
Aug 24, 2021 10:02 AM

Mar 2016
OP, I am sorry for disturbing you by posting on this old discussion. I really do mean it.

This anime had so many things I liked: guy having to do something different than what his family wanted, good friendship, breaking gender stereotypes (with male cheerleaders, a girl who's better at martial arts than guys, Murase Ayumu's character, etc.), need to overcome trauma, a female character who isn't the protagonist's future girlfriend, positive representation of fat guy, and so much more. Yet, somehow the anime was very unimpressive. The poses were stiff, the body-language and camera told almost no stories, animation was weird (I can ignore this part since it wasn't bad to the point it messed with the story), and I don't really know what. I just felt very dissatisfied. I liked what they were trying to do. I just don't like how they did it.

I gave it a 6/10. It's not bad to the point that you can't watch it. But, it gets really difficult to watch occasionally. 5.5 or 5.6 would have been a better score, but you can't do that here on MAL.
Oct 28, 2022 10:29 PM

Mar 2007
Loved - the diary as a plot / character development device. That was genius. Lots of character development even for the side characters, all well done.

Did not like - needed more animation budget. Needed MORE cheerleading scenes shown. And definitely would watch a S2 if one ever comes.

At the end of the last episode I had a huge smile on my face. Really enjoyed this. One of the better sports anime.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» does anyone know if cheer boys/danshi boys is kid appropriate

Haikyuu_ForLife - Jan 25, 2023

6 by tinker3bellz1 »»
Jan 26, 2023 5:28 AM

Poll: » Cheer Danshi!! Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2016

44 by Stormy_77 »»
Oct 28, 2022 9:33 PM

Poll: » Cheer Danshi!! Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2016

27 by Stormy_77 »»
Oct 28, 2022 9:13 PM

Poll: » Cheer Danshi!! Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2016

22 by Stormy_77 »»
Oct 28, 2022 8:54 PM

Poll: » Cheer Danshi!! Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2016

35 by Stormy_77 »»
Oct 28, 2022 6:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.