Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 21, 2016 5:44 AM

Jun 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What?? no topic for that movie yet?? weird!!!

Well just saw it, and have not read the manga yet but will definitly will because it is such a masterpiece!!! 10/10
Sep 21, 2016 9:41 AM
Jan 2012
There is certainly so much to talk about the film. It's not an easy film to fully comprehend in one shot, but I am impressed, touched, as well as moved after watching it- it has been three days and I keep on remembering the scenes and questioning myself about them.
Sep 21, 2016 9:52 AM

Aug 2013
I wonder if some people not pay attention to this movie because of a certain Movie that just monopolize the first rank.

Sep 21, 2016 2:17 PM
Aug 2015
misachin said:
I wonder if some people not pay attention to this movie because of a certain Movie that just monopolize the first rank.

Koe no Katachi should actually have gotten twice as much attention as Kimi no Nawa, since it's based on a popular manga.
Sep 22, 2016 3:43 AM
Jan 2012
One thing that I didn't fully understand by first view was one of the triggers that motivated Shoko to confess her feelings with her own voice.

There are other moments which I felt first hard to understand but which has implications and reasons why made so.
GohanwaOkazuSep 22, 2016 4:17 AM
Sep 22, 2016 4:36 PM

Apr 2013
On_the_Lam said:
misachin said:

Koe no Katachi should actually have gotten twice as much attention as Kimi no Nawa, since it's based on a popular manga.

Not really and Koe no Katachi is screened in far less theatres compared to Kimi no Na wa, so there's that factor
Sep 24, 2016 8:55 AM

Apr 2016
"Koe no katachi" have grossed around 5 million + in its first week and it's not a bad number considering that it's getting overshadowed by a lot of other big names.
Sep 26, 2016 8:55 AM
Jan 2012
menuetto said:

the visuals were so pretty and amazing! the voice acting and soundtrack also really made certain scenes a lot more emotional.

That "groaning" of Shoko at the climax really is a superb acting. I can still hear her voice even days after.
Oct 1, 2016 10:00 AM

Mar 2012
I recently had a little week long holiday in Japan. Long story short it was exhausting but a real fun experience. I saw the movie in Shibuya on Friday morning. I am very bad at Japanese as this trip has made apparent but I read the manga so I understood about 95% of the movie. And boy am I glad I saw this instead of dicking around Akihabara for another 2 hours fawning over expensive crap I can't buy.

This movie was absolutely phenomenal. A big improvement on an already amazing source material and an excellent apology for Phantom World. It also cements why I love Naoko Yamada as much as I do. Sort of like with K-On! Yamada does a better job of bringing out the emotion in every scene than even the source material. The scene where Nishimiya jumps off the balcony made my heart skip a few beats.

The animation, the OST and general sound direction are consistently amazing throughout. This is KyoAni at its very best. Voice acting is great throughout especially Saori Hayami who's incredibly believable in her portrayal of Shouko's disability. Subplots are cut but everything still makes sense and the pacing feels very natural. In fact, the trimming of some of the manga's less than thrilling scenes along the added focus on Nishimiya's struggles and Ishida's redemption creates what I believe to be an overall better product. I don't mean to discredit the manga, but this movie was just something else.

This is the best movie I have seen this year and easily one of KyoAni's best works yet. Of course I have to give it a 10/10.
Oct 1, 2016 11:38 AM

Oct 2013
GohanwaOkazu said:
One thing that I didn't fully understand by first view was one of the triggers that motivated Shoko to confess her feelings with her own voice.

There are other moments which I felt first hard to understand but which has implications and reasons why made so.

how should i explain to you. im deaf too. and not english native speaker. most of deaf people does't speak with mouth very well because of reasons, like vocal cords not trained or used as much like you, or the deafness type that sound different to you, aside the volume, think of the sound configurator or whatever it called in english is off, has wrong setting (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qk0t4V3ABi4/maxresdefault.jpg) and more.
in shouko case would be vocal cords untrained or unused. it is too difficult to train, to make proper sounds.

about the ears bleeding, if you pull the devices out too strong, its mostly gonna bleed, but not because your eardrum is hurt or broken, its your ears, you cant see its throught the hair, and even more from behind her.

about the the device 2 onto 1, it quite expensive to buy it.
there different type deafness, so you would need some specific hearing aid you need.
the mine i bought around 850 dollars each one, if you use money converter, in my country of course because it is not USA, nor england or anything
https://www.walmart.com/browse/home-medical/hearing-aids/976760_1005860_1090504?cat_id=976760_1005860_1090504&facet=category:Hearing%20Aids&search_redirect=true&wl6=&wl5=1000073&wl8=&wl7=2840&adid=22222222220125232160&veh=sem&wl0=b&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl2=c&wl1=g&wl4=kwd-301997550&wl3=146422640372

http://exposinghearingaids.org/truth-about-hearing-aids/

that why i currently use 1 hearing aid, instead of 2. i think shouko has it around 1250 dollars, each one of course
KaedeKyl9Oct 1, 2016 11:51 AM
Oct 10, 2016 8:18 AM
Jan 2012
KaedeKyl9 said:

how should i explain to you. im deaf too. and not english native speaker. most of deaf people does't speak with mouth very well because of reasons, like vocal cords not trained or used as much like you, or the deafness type that sound different to you, aside the volume, think of the sound configurator or whatever it called in english is off, has wrong setting (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qk0t4V3ABi4/maxresdefault.jpg) and more.
in shouko case would be vocal cords untrained or unused. it is too difficult to train, to make proper sounds.

Thanks for your information. I actually understand that deaf people have difficulties in pronunciation and intonation as they cannot use the vocal chords by listening to others and themselves speak (I have met deaf people in my life; I have also recently done work associated with a university conference on assisting hearing disabilities), but it's the human psychological drama aspect and how the movie was directed (or the original manga was written) that have made me questioning.

I have a question to you. How did you feel about Shouya? Did his search for redemption too easily motivated and granted to you? Some people criticizing this film says that it's too kind for a former bully to expect redemption from the former bullied, and that this film is affirming a stalking offender who's injured a handicapped person to become lovers with the victim (which is rubbish to me, as the viewer must have missed out the sufferings and repentance of Shouya and must have misunderstood the overall theme of the film/manga, but in any case...).

Things are not shown or explained clearly in the film/manga, as the inner thoughts of Shouko is part of the riddle to be solved and is an important part of the movies' theme.

It is rather complex, but the riddles and my conclusions might be described as:
1) Both Shouko and Shouya have suffered from communication issues. Shouko's issue is derived from her hearing-impairedness, but also because of her tendency to a) self-reproach that her family's and mates's miseries are because of her handicap, b) smile sociably and let things pass without directly confronting the offender (which is a form of denying communication with others). Shouya's issue is derived from his guilt in having bullied and the trauma of being bullied; he suffers to the point he shuts out interaction with other people and wishes to kill himself.
2) Shouko's wish to end herself must have been building up for a long time. We see hints when she first tried to retrieve the communication notebook at school thrown into the pond but then must have gave up and decided to leave it there (which means giving up on relations). No wonder she was deeply moved when years later Shouya came up with the notebook (which Shouya picked up when he in turn was bullied), and asked for sincere making up with the past with sign language he learned- it gave her faint hope about building relationship with other people. Shouya may have been the only person apart from her family who sincerely asked for a relationship, and Shouko wanted that relationship. Consciously or subconsciously, she changed her hairstyle, bought a present which can't be easily understood, and used her own voice instead of sign language as she wanted more communication with Shouya (as he might ask, why the change of hairstyle? What is this gift used for? Etc etc). But Shouya wasn't really ready for closer communication as he was still trapped in his guilt and redemption of the past; that's what must have prompted Shouko's outburst of emotions.
3) However, all the time she was hiding self-reproach and a desire to end it all beneath the surface of her smile, that Sahara had to be bullied because of her, Mother had to be divorced because of her, Sister had to be bullied as well because of her ... And once time after being bullied by Shouya, she did show her true feelings that she just had enough and wanted to die. Even after she met Shouya, she completely lost hearing ability of one of her ears, and that wasn't encouraging. On top of that, she learns Shouya's own trauma of the past and his communication disorders caused by his sense of guilt and his belief that others must hate him (to Shouko, it's all because of her, subjectively speaking).
4) Yuzuru have been sensing about Shouko's wish of ending herself, and had been photographing and showing ugly dead corpses of animals to influence her sister to fear death so that she won't commit suicide. There is a scene when Yuzuru wakes up in horror as she dreams of Shouko covered in blood just like in the photograph of dead corpse. Death might have felt closer for Shouko after experiencing Grandma's funeral.
5) Committing suicide is, ultimately, a selfish way of ending things, without caring about the left ones. It would sound harsh, but Shouko's (and also Shouya's initial) "solution" of killing oneself in guilt would never have worked, and Ueno's absolutely right in angrily stating that hating oneself is so ordinary, and we all hate oneself, but one shouldn't deny communicating with others properly and let things go or go for the easy and quick solution of killing oneself (although I don't endorse her violent and too confrontational way of communicating with others!).
As Shouya says to Shouko at the climax, he should have tried to hear what Shouko had to say instead of building up his own image of her, and although s/he bears responsibility, it is not something which should be written off by dying but to make proper amends while properly communicating with each other.
6) The films ends with Shouya regaining communication with the society that surrounds him with the help of his friends, in face-to-face contact, without shutting out voices which are even hurting/inconvenient to him. The world is beautiful as it is made up of different people, and shutting yourself up in your own convenient world of self-reproach or self-affirmation isn't the right way to handle life; you have to engage with other people seriously even if it sometimes leads to confrontation (an otaku in me is shocked and moved). That is Shouya's side of the story, and Shouko's side of the story could have been a bit different, but I think it represent the overall message and theme of the film.
GohanwaOkazuOct 10, 2016 8:50 AM
Oct 10, 2016 6:34 PM

Oct 2013
GohanwaOkazu said:
KaedeKyl9 said:

Thanks for your information. I actually understand that deaf people have difficulties in pronunciation and intonation as they cannot use the vocal chords by listening to others and themselves speak (I have met deaf people in my life; I have also recently done work associated with a university conference on assisting hearing disabilities), but it's the human psychological drama aspect and how the movie was directed (or the original manga was written) that have made me questioning.

I have a question to you. How did you feel about Shouya? Did his search for redemption too easily motivated and granted to you? Some people criticizing this film says that it's too kind for a former bully to expect redemption from the former bullied, and that this film is affirming a stalking offender who's injured a handicapped person to become lovers with the victim (which is rubbish to me, as the viewer must have missed out the sufferings and repentance of Shouya and must have misunderstood the overall theme of the film/manga, but in any case...).

Things are not shown or explained clearly in the film/manga, as the inner thoughts of Shouko is part of the riddle to be solved and is an important part of the movies' theme.

It is rather complex, but the riddles and my conclusions might be described as:
1) Both Shouko and Shouya have suffered from communication issues. Shouko's issue is derived from her hearing-impairedness, but also because of her tendency to a) self-reproach that her family's and mates's miseries are because of her handicap, b) smile sociably and let things pass without directly confronting the offender (which is a form of denying communication with others). Shouya's issue is derived from his guilt in having bullied and the trauma of being bullied; he suffers to the point he shuts out interaction with other people and wishes to kill himself.
2) Shouko's wish to end herself must have been building up for a long time. We see hints when she first tried to retrieve the communication notebook at school thrown into the pond but then must have gave up and decided to leave it there (which means giving up on relations). No wonder she was deeply moved when years later Shouya came up with the notebook (which Shouya picked up when he in turn was bullied), and asked for sincere making up with the past with sign language he learned- it gave her faint hope about building relationship with other people. Shouya may have been the only person apart from her family who sincerely asked for a relationship, and Shouko wanted that relationship. Consciously or subconsciously, she changed her hairstyle, bought a present which can't be easily understood, and used her own voice instead of sign language as she wanted more communication with Shouya (as he might ask, why the change of hairstyle? What is this gift used for? Etc etc). But Shouya wasn't really ready for closer communication as he was still trapped in his guilt and redemption of the past; that's what must have prompted Shouko's outburst of emotions.
3) However, all the time she was hiding self-reproach and a desire to end it all beneath the surface of her smile, that Sahara had to be bullied because of her, Mother had to be divorced because of her, Sister had to be bullied as well because of her ... And once time after being bullied by Shouya, she did show her true feelings that she just had enough and wanted to die. Even after she met Shouya, she completely lost hearing ability of one of her ears, and that wasn't encouraging. On top of that, she learns Shouya's own trauma of the past and his communication disorders caused by his sense of guilt and his belief that others must hate him (to Shouko, it's all because of her, subjectively speaking).
4) Yuzuru have been sensing about Shouko's wish of ending herself, and had been photographing and showing ugly dead corpses of animals to influence her sister to fear death so that she won't commit suicide. There is a scene when Yuzuru wakes up in horror as she dreams of Shouko covered in blood just like in the photograph of dead corpse. Death might have felt closer for Shouko after experiencing Grandma's funeral.
5) Committing suicide is, ultimately, a selfish way of ending things, without caring about the left ones. It would sound harsh, but Shouko's (and also Shouya's initial) "solution" of killing oneself in guilt would never have worked, and Ueno's absolutely right in angrily stating that hating oneself is so ordinary, and we all hate oneself, but one shouldn't deny communicating with others properly and let things go or go for the easy and quick solution of killing oneself (although I don't endorse her violent and too confrontational way of communicating with others!).
As Shouya says to Shouko at the climax, he should have tried to hear what Shouko had to say instead of building up his own image of her, and although s/he bears responsibility, it is not something which should be written off by dying but to make proper amends while properly communicating with each other.
6) The films ends with Shouya regaining communication with the society that surrounds him with the help of his friends, in face-to-face contact, without shutting out voices which are even hurting/inconvenient to him. The world is beautiful as it is made up of different people, and shutting yourself up in your own convenient world of self-reproach or self-affirmation isn't the right way to handle life; you have to engage with other people seriously even if it sometimes leads to confrontation (an otaku in me is shocked and moved). That is Shouya's side of the story, and Shouko's side of the story could have been a bit different, but I think it represent the overall message and theme of the film.

damn!!! too long to read and answer right now, i promise i will do it after the tests. can you wait for me? and have a good day
Oct 25, 2016 1:47 PM

Nov 2013
Wow...
Just saw this at Scotland Loves Anime. First time I've seen a film get a round of applause at the end, but it was honestly deserved.
Hayami Saori needs an Oscar.
Nov 14, 2016 3:21 AM

Jul 2014
Quick question for the people that watched this, did they change the ending from the manga?
Dec 12, 2016 9:08 AM

Feb 2008
I live in a smaller city in a mostly rural prefecture so this movie just arrived here 10 days ago for a two week run. Went to see it tonight and very much enjoyed it. I haven't read the manga so I definitely missed the significance of scenes such as the one where Shouko switched to using one hearing aid.

The overall quality of the artwork was very good but there was one scene where they focused on people's feet and things looked a bit odd...it was like their feet weren't really touching the ground. It's kind of hard to explain....

When I purchased my ticket I was handed a little booklet. I glanced at the cover and stuffed it into my pocket as there wasn't much time left before the show started. When I got home after midnight (I had gone to the late show) I read part of it. It's a short little side story manga. That was a nice touch.
Feb 12, 2017 6:11 AM

Feb 2012
When I went to see it at Showroom in Sheffield, audio crackled during the funeral scene. Is this an artistic thing that anyone else experienced or is it more likely the cinema's speakers were dodgy?

Least favorite character has got to be Kawai since she never fully admitted her sins and faked crocodile tears.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 24, 2017 7:01 AM
Jan 2012
Fortress_Maximus said:
When I went to see it at Showroom in Sheffield, audio crackled during the funeral scene. Is this an artistic thing that anyone else experienced or is it more likely the cinema's speakers were dodgy?

It is an artistic thing- it's electronica using sampled acoustic noises that the piano creates (the artist is a musician in the Japanese electronica scene). You are recommended to listen to the sound with a good system. The music at the funeral scene is intended to have all those crackles to represent abrupt ending of life and discommunication; as I understand, Shouko might have felt (wrongly) that ending her life could be instant and painless although sorrowful like her grandma's death.

The soundtrack and artwork were particularly brilliant when Shouko and Shouta had a brawl at the classroom. It's easy to have a violent and panicky track to accompany that scene, but instead they chose a beautiful and tender music, which adds to the drama.

I think all the characters in the movie are problematic one way or another; there an no clear good guys or bad guys. Kawai-san is indeed annoying, and I doubt she is perhaps a bit of a psychopath, but that kind of girl exist in real life too, and I am grown old enough to get along with them.
GohanwaOkazuFeb 24, 2017 7:22 AM
Mar 12, 2017 3:21 PM

Mar 2016
SO I saw the movie yesterday and wow as a fan of the manga I wasn't disappointed in the slightest.

THE ANIMATION WAS OSOSOSOOSOSOSOSOS GOOD LIKE WOW i was screaming inside because of how amazing it looked. everything was done so well, especially because of how they used sound I was literally blown away with how much the sound impacted everything. The voice acting was great aND they tackled each characters emotions and hardships perfectly.

i cried so much but i smiled even more. honestly time flew so fast watching this it didn't feel like it was 130 minutes

love you kyoani

10/10
Mar 15, 2017 2:48 PM

Jul 2014
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. I've waited 2 and a half years for this, and it did not in any way disappoint me. In fact, it was everything I expected and more. They streamlined it down to 130 minutes in an excellent fashion, and the changes that were made only helped to enhance the story. Also, the ending was absolutely fantastic, so much better than in the manga, and props to that have to go to Kyoani for their marvellous execution of that scene. That being said, Kyoani just deserve props for every single scene: everything was marvellously executed and beautifully animated, and I just have no complaints at all really.

A definite 10/10, and I can't imagine seeing a better film at the cinema than this in 2017, or for years to come.
Mar 15, 2017 3:44 PM
Aug 2007
My expectations were pretty low for this considering they had to fit a lot of story into 2 hours, but it was pretty much perfect. They did remove quite a few things, but they managed to tell the main story almost exactly as I remembered it, and the ending actually felt much more satisfying that in the manga.

The art was great too, exactly as it is in the manga.

Overall, I'm somewhat blown away at how good it was...
Mar 15, 2017 3:53 PM

Jul 2015
Just got back from a cinema showing it in the south-west of devon in england (it's pretty great because they always show anime movies even if only for one night) and i have to say this was an amazing film

My criticisms are small and nitpicky because i found it hard to fault this movie but i have to say the start was a little confusing and slightly uninteresting for a moment but after those initial 5 - 10 minuets of set up i was totally griped as the characters were complex and interesting the drama was also incredibly moving if slightly over dramatic at times but that's fine because its anime haha

The animation is amazing as expected from the great Kyotoani also i felt this movie struck a chord with myself on an emotional level i mean i didn't cry or well up but it really hit me in the heart as the happy scenes were great highs and the dark scenes touching on suicide and self loathing really made me think as i think we can all relate to those emotions

another great point about this film is it really makes you think about what its like to be deaf and that even with such a hindrance people are still people and should be treated as such not as someone lesser than a "normal" person in anyway and also i loved the theme of change and how the main character really grew as a person and overcame his problems and of course Shoko had some excellent character development as well even her little sister had a great arc

so overall i have to say this was a 8.5/10 truly a sceptical and a heart warming tale about disability and romance great film
Mar 15, 2017 4:32 PM
Apr 2016
Just come back from the one-off screening in the UK (probably from the same place as the user above me), and the film absolutely exceeded my expectations. I can't recall ever watching an anime that has made me feel anger and sadness in such a short amount of time. I thought Ishida was such a well developed character, and I'm surprised at how infuriating the characters of Ueno and Kawai were- I've met manyyy people like Kawai in real life, but off the top of my head it's the first time I recall seeing such a character in an anime.
FerensvielMar 15, 2017 4:35 PM
Mar 15, 2017 4:39 PM
Oct 2016
I also just came back from a cinema showing in north-west london, it was a great movie the bullying scenes were just hard to watch probably because of the realism involved, lots of characters in the movie with complex emotions that take a bit of thinking to realise why they act like they do and overall just a really effective drama and well handled subject matter.

There were some characters that felt like they didn't do much, and I'm guessing that's due to the pacing of the movie compared to a 7 volume manga series so I definitely should check out the manga too, however the movie stands very well on its own, the plot isn't rushed and just feels complete.
Mar 15, 2017 5:21 PM

Jul 2015
Ferensviel said:
Just come back from the one-off screening in the UK (probably from the same place as the user above me), and the film absolutely exceeded my expectations. I can't recall ever watching an anime that has made me feel anger and sadness in such a short amount of time. I thought Ishida was such a well developed character, and I'm surprised at how infuriating the characters of Ueno and Kawai were- I've met manyyy people like Kawai in real life, but off the top of my head it's the first time I recall seeing such a character in an anime.

Ayy that's cool if it was the same cinema than you probably remember how much everyone loved the grape hair character people were erupting with laughter during those scenes haha such a good film
Mar 15, 2017 5:52 PM

Nov 2016
This movie is now my second favourite anime movie. It's even better than Kimi no na wa in my opinion. The characters were all relatable in some ways (Nishimiya Shoko is my favourite). This is definitely another day one purchase on blu ray for me, just like Kimi no na wa is. No film beats Spirited Away for me though but it was close. 10/10
Mar 16, 2017 9:46 AM

Feb 2014
Coming back from watching this in Kent, which is a 1 hour drive for me. I had a feeling before watching this that it would be very powerful and moving.

And man was it powerful. The direction of the ost, voice acting and the KyoAni animation worked extremely well with the whole story. I couldn't help but shed a tear or two at times as well, even in a packed cinema with my friend next to me. >.<

I will re-watch this when it comes out on Blu-Ray, but for now, I'll give it a 10/10. =)
Mar 17, 2017 7:14 AM

Jul 2014
Kamina_The_Lad said:
Just got back from a cinema showing it in the south-west of devon in england (it's pretty great because they always show anime movies even if only for one night)

That's my neck of the woods - where do they show anime films in Devon? 'cause I've been missing out...

I didn't enjoy the film so much - I think it would probably please any manga readers in the audience, but just as a film I don't think it's all that good. Since the story is quite clearly split into chapter-like chunks (the let's find Sahara portion, the theme park portion, etc.) and so is paced accordingly, it should probably have been adapted to TV rather than a movie.
Mar 18, 2017 9:34 AM

Oct 2015
Really like the adaption, the part they cut out doesn't really affect the full experience. Kyoani delivered once again.
Mar 21, 2017 5:29 PM

Apr 2016
I saw the movie today and love it. It's sad, refreshing, eye opening and so much more. I might watch it again
Mar 23, 2017 9:46 AM

Oct 2012
Great voice acting. Beautifully animated.
Thank you KyoAni.
Mar 29, 2017 7:51 PM
Apr 2016
its coming to my country on april 15! a lot late but ill still take it!
Apr 3, 2017 1:48 AM

Mar 2015
Really liked the adaptation. It made me tear up numerous times during the movie which did surprise me. Not every scene was adapted as expected, but the essential ones were put in. What I disliked about it though, was the audience. During some scenes where Shouko was getting bullied, there were many people in the audience that burst out laughing. Made me question if it was just me or if people are just assholes. Waiting for it to come out and watching it alone may make for a more enjoyable experience.
Browsing the internet while infuriated is much like driving while under the influence of some foreign substance: it is possible, but ill-advised.
Apr 6, 2017 4:21 AM
Nov 2015
Aired in AUS today, was great. Unfortunately for us manga readers we noticed some parts left out which imo change a possible 10/10 to a 8-9/10.

The animation was great & OST was just as good. Thoroughly enjoyable, good way to let out some h2o from your face.
Apr 7, 2017 7:07 AM

Nov 2009
GohanwaOkazu said:

Yeah I thought they were going to expand on that more, about the hospital scene. They skimmed over a few things like that.

Aruciel said:
What I disliked about it though, was the audience. During some scenes where Shouko was getting bullied, there were many people in the audience that burst out laughing. Made me question if it was just me or if people are just assholes. Waiting for it to come out and watching it alone may make for a more enjoyable experience.

Just jerks... I watched it at the cinema too and that didn't happen. Cruddy that they hindered your experience.

Ok so I'm a bit bitter sweet about this and I think the reason why is that the subtitled translation wasn't as good as it could be. In the first half, especially when Shouko was being bullied, I held back tears on numerous occasions. Then in the second half I found that things weren't as well explained as I'd like, conversations were just a bit off. It's hard to put my finger on it.

The other thing is that for some reason I wasn't expecting this to be so much about friendship. I was expecting more of a romance. Sure it was obvious that they like each other, with Shouko even confessing at one point. I felt the ending was a bit abrupt, as I was still expecting romance. It was developing nicely and then all of a sudden he drops his walls and all is well. The end. That's nice but I was wanting more. That seemed to be the general consensus in the cinema. Maybe they shouldn't of placed that confession half way through. That's just building hopes that end up accounting to nothing, is it not? The miscommunication wasn't actually addressed. He could of at least asked her out. That would have made for a better ending imo.

I don't know. I was really feeling it in the first half but it lost me a bit in the second. Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoyed it. There's lots of good points. I felt it was unique, I liked the themes, the maturity and it was emotional and heartfelt. I wanted to give it a 10 at first but by the end I'd say an 8. Still great, I just wasn't completely satisfied. Anyone else feel similar?
Bles-Apr 7, 2017 7:18 AM
Apr 8, 2017 4:07 AM

Dec 2015
Just finished watching this at a nearby theatre and KYOANI DELIVERS

I didn't really have any major problems with the film but ofc it wasn't perfect, there were some problems with the development of the side characters and the abrupt ending but obviously it wasn't anything new ,since I already read the manga and was expecting all of that.

But can we just take the time to appreciate the film's directing? Like this 100% cemented Naoko Yamada as my fav director of all time
Apr 8, 2017 5:01 AM

Mar 2013
I decided to avoid the obvious trap of reading the source first and then the adaption

Probably for this reason I gave it a 10/10, I didn't cry at all but at the end I was tempted to. I was abit letdown with the finale but everything before that was really well done

Aruciel said:
What I disliked about it though, was the audience. During some scenes where Shouko was getting bullied, there were many people in the audience that burst out laughing. Made me question if it was just me or if people are just assholes. Waiting for it to come out and watching it alone may make for a more enjoyable experience.

The cinema screening I came back from in Sydney wasn't like that, everyone laughed at the funny moments, a bunch of girls behind me cried a few times and everyone was dead silent for the rest of the movie

Oh and to whoever said they drove a hour to see this, I drove 7 hours
Apr 8, 2017 5:41 AM

Dec 2015
Very endearing film from the plotline to the colour scheme to the artwork and animation. The film as a whole was much more relatable and more up my valley than kimi no na wa - a nice slice of life story that tackled the complexities of life without the need for science fiction.

As for pacing, i'm glad they were generous with 2 hrs - the task of addressing the underlying problems of every single character was pretty crazy and was probably the weakest point of the film imo - there is only so much room one can accommodate for character development.

I was dying to hear Koi no shita no wa at least once through-out the film, at least during the scene where Ishida awoke from his coma - would have made that scene perfect but I guess the silence was just as appropriate.

Ultimately, it was well worth the effort of a live screening and is definitely my favourite movie as of now :>

*Ishida has the same bag as me lmao http://www.carrot-online.jp/fs/carrot/anello/AT-B1224

~
Apr 8, 2017 7:14 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
I don't quite remember enough of the manga to make an accurate comparison but any character exposition that wasn't absolutely needed was cut out (which was no small amount), but the result is still stunningly coherent, thanks to clever writing, and charged with emotion. Still, Mashima's role in the film probably suffered the most from being condensed without much development given beyond his "I hate that kind of person" quote which they managed to squeeze in.

I felt Nishiyama's mother's seiyuu was kinda off and soft spoken given her personality but on the other hand, Yuzuru's one felt perfect to a T. The animation and art was nothing less than you'd expect of KyoAni and then one step higher than that. The facial expressions of the characters were a highlight, especially with Shouko. The sign language was conveyed wonderfully (not quite as easy as sticking a speech bubble on a page) and of course Shouko's voice was a great performance that really brought her to life. The point to end was well selected and brought a good closure to things.

Although development of the side characters may be its weakest point, most still shined such as Nagatsuka who charmed the audience with his bizarre antics or Ueno/Kawai whose actions often left us silent in indignation. Yes, there were other scenes I wanted to see but the core of it was carried strong and delivers a relatable and heartfelt message, not just about Shouya's climb from disgrace but also about understanding, communicating and opening up.

9/10

one other nitpick. In the first time Shouya reunites with Shouko, after he signs her "can we be friends?" like she did back when they were kids, it's not meant to fade out, she's supposed to grab his hand! That scene was where the one-shot finished so I was really looking forward to seeing that. ah well.
Apr 11, 2017 6:05 AM

Jan 2017
I decided to see the movie first before reading the manga even though I was so tempted and I'm glad that I get to see the anime on a big screen. (This is also my first anime (?) on a big screen and I'm really happy to have this experience. Hihihi)

The soundtrack is amazing. I'm a big fan of soundtracks that feels like they're touching your soul and Koe no Katachi has it. When Ishida decided to listen to the world in the school fair and the soundtrack played; that part gave me goosebumps. And when he started crying, I also felt like crying but that was disrupted by a freakin cough. Also, Nagatsuka, or as I like to call him, broccoli head needs to be protected at all cost.

I hope more people would see this movie. They were like 10 people in the cinema watching with us but I guess that's alright. (????)
Sorry for my English.
Apr 13, 2017 2:24 AM
Jul 2018
I gotta say, I liked the movie more than I did with Your Name. The second half was what sold it for me. Ugh, the dynamic and tonal shifts in the music was beautiful and captured the moment perfectly imo..

Mod Edit: Removed quote of a deleted post.
TenshoApr 29, 2017 9:42 PM
Apr 13, 2017 3:05 AM
Jan 2014
I wasn't going to go see this movie because I didn't even know about it but I was given some free promotional tickets with some anime DVD's I bought so I decided to go see it.

This movie was fantastic. They really nailed it, the story wasn't too slow paced and all the main characters got a good amount of development. Most of the side characters where interesting enough (even though some were a little under-developed) with Tomohiro Nagatsuka being a real standout.

I really liked how Ishida constantly doubted his actions, understanding that it was selfish to try and get forgiveness from Nishimiya and wondering if he really deserved it.

I know the X's are from the manga and they were a little gimmicky but it never really bothered me and it really enhances the emotion when an X returns.

The animation was excellent and quite gorgeous when it tried to be and I was really impressed by the amount of sign language they animated (though it was noticeable when they chose a camera angle where this was deliberately obscured).

Overall I'm definitely happy I went to see this movie. 9/10
Apr 13, 2017 8:43 AM
Mar 2012
Just saw the 1st NZ screening. First 3 screenings all full, but usually anime films show <4 days here.
Unrelated: everyone fanboyed over the Fairytail trailer, no idea why.

Surprise, there's no #alwaysalone & #friendshipispower talk. Sign & body language was used effectively in a mostly subtle manner. This nonlinear plot seems focused more on character study than events. I've only seen the one-off manga which was rushed & illogical, while the film develops & justifies each event reasonably, might read full version later. Sound directing & threading via closeup cutaways were excellent.

Characters:
Shoya: Starting with his happy trio friends and contrasting with his failed bridge jump, and "My Generation" in the background was quite surprising. How he mentally setup Shoko=BigBoss in his gaming mind setup quite well the status quo vs everything that would get "destroyed." The monologues & signs he learned were great, quite funny & brings some depth. He likes bridges, a lot.

Shoya mom: When she apologized to Shoko mom, wondered why her right side had blood. Later cutaway showed her earing torn off, relates to earlier Shoya flashback on his mom's earrings when the teacher said how pricy hearing aides were. Cool to relate four scenes together by the earring theme. The money burning scene was at once moving, funny & awkward with Maria around.

Maria: Tummy! Audience loved the loli.

Ueno: another complex character who looks bit like Mitsuki from knk. Not simply a 'villain', as the girl who sided with Shoya's bullying & took care of him in hospital, hinted at a weird love triangle that already escalated with her beating up Shoko. Cat cafe was lol (ova when?). "Get off my lawnbike" lol this strong triangle tension. Shoya moved on, but Ueno didn't, yet they're more similar than they admit. The ferris wheel part kinda freaked me out what a crazy girl might do.

Tomohiro: even more hilarious was bulby hair reminds of lewd Mineta, & how chummy he fought with Yuzuru.

Yuzuru: She bullied too? But why she ran away from home for shampoo? The real reason might be arguing with mom which she hinted. And maybe she avoids school to instead take care of her sister. But in turn both Shoya & granny were worried for her. Pin up morbid pictures of dead animals, so sis won't go sudoku? Pretty weird way of thinking.

Shoko: Untranslated signs were hard to get, but they taught a few signs, and the emotion was there. Didn't get what her doctor said, her hearing won't improve? Edit: an earlier poster mentioned she only used 1 hearing aid after. Later she forced herself to act normal, talk instead of sign, and that confidence shattering confession. Shoya could've been less frank, but the moon's beautiful Yuzuru goes lmao (queue Tsukigakirei). Dude did Shoya not watch Haruhi, it's a ponytail man read the air. Tho later Shoya friendzoned her via sign, he did try hard with many "dates" (mom or sis tagging along). But Yuzuru's dream still happened. Shots of each friend separately watching the same fireworks gave an ominous feel to where Shoko went, and their broken group. Kinda random Shimada saved Shoya near Shoko's house, and convenient living by a river. Her yukata sudoku moment felt more intense than a shounen fight.

Ending: Kyoani rarely goes full romance so it's expected. Did 2 girls hug? Yes unwillingly by scum Kawai. Did 2 boys hug? Yes in the bathroom. Did the couple hug? No. The focus on character growth was fitting.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of a deleted post.
TenshoApr 29, 2017 9:43 PM
Apr 15, 2017 10:53 PM
Sep 2013
Ahhh I spoiled it for myself. I read the manga already. I wonder if the movie will end the same way as the manga.
Apr 18, 2017 4:38 PM

Jun 2015
Apart from a minor pacing issues midway through the film, this was a truly wonderful film. I'm still in awe over how great and emotional this was. Top notch art and animation, a great soundtrack (though in some scenes the music felt overbearing though I'll blame the speakers at the venue for that).

It had been a while since I read the manga but it was all coming back to me with every scene, making me anxious for what was about to come. A solid effort and something I'm sure to come back to again and again. 9/10
"Hurry up with my damn croissants."
Apr 19, 2017 6:53 AM
Jul 2016
Just finished watching the movie and i was really moved by the ending.. Ishida can finally live happily without feeling guilty..
May 2, 2017 2:26 AM

Jul 2009
Just got back from seeing this movie. Cried a few times during the film. Loved it.

This felt like a very mature film tackling themes of bullying, depression and suicide. Normally one would associate an animated film with some bit of comedy, but I can't for the life of me think of one instance of comedy during the film. I feel like this is a great example of anime being a medium not a genre, as it could have easily been a live action film and nothing would have felt lost. I'm glad though that is was animated, as everything looked great, but I'm also a little sad because due to the stigma of anime with some communities, I'll likely never be able to get those people to watch this. Which is a shame because this film is really damn good!

Ishida was such a horrible dick in the beginning that I almost felt he deserved the treatment he received. I'm glad he tried to redeem himself though, as he was able to acknowledge what a terrible person he was and emphasis with Shouko and others better. I also emphasized a great deal with his anxiety, depression, self hate and suicidal thoughts.

Ueno and Kawai were still pretty terrible after all these years.

Ueno was still a bully who couldn't emphasie with Shouko, but in the end it at least seems like she's slowly trying to be nicer. She also seemed to have feelings for Ishida which explained why she was so hostile to Shouko.

Hated Kawai the most though. Always playing the victim, the innocent bystander, and pushing all the blame onto others and even publicly outting others while again playing the victim. She really is a scummy person.

Satoshi never really had a character and the entire time he was on screen I felt he was going to be some creeper. Doesn't help that he has Pervy Woody eyes. From what I read though he is apparently a cool guy in the manga.

Sahara had more of her character shown though. There really is always going to be the risk of being bullied due to your association. Her treament as a child, and what I assume into her teens by Ueno, leaving her a little scarred was pretty sad. It took a lot of courage to befriend Shouko and learn sign.

Nagatsuka was a total bro. When I first saw his character design I thought he was going to be an unnecessary comic relief character, as he reminded me of Mineta from My Hero Academia. That he went out of his way to always help Ishida and taught him what having a real friend was like was fantastic.

Yuzuru was also pretty chill once she accepted Ishida's honest intentions. I was wondering why she kept photographing dead animals, and the reveal that she was doing so try to stop her sister's suicidal thoughts was heart breaking.

Shouko's character was the best though. She tried super hard to fit in and overcome her disability. When she fought Ishida I was in tears. All she wanted was friends but all her efforts ended up being for naught. Even when she finally amassed a sizable group of friends, it all blew up the moment Ishida pushes everyone away. But rather than blame him, she blames herself for being at the center of the conflict. She, like Ishida, were dealing with a great deal of self hate and it made wish someone would just give her a hug already. Her suicide attempt scared the shit out of me and I'm super glad Ishida was able to save her. Had she died I probably would have walked out of the cinema right there. I was hoping though that she and Ishida would have a proper confession. The "moon" one earlier was cute but not satisfying.

Anway, that's all I have to say regarding the film right now.
May 3, 2017 2:32 AM

Apr 2017
I just watched the film... And I wondered why the cinema was quite empty, the film was amazing though
I live in Indonesia so i think most people are waiting for the bd disc that came out two weeks later.
I kinda confused with the ending, but the film is just everything that is good.
Graphic, voice, story... Just wow... I didn't regret watching it in the cinema
Life isn't as fun and easy as anime.
Watch anime to bring that fun!!
May 3, 2017 6:19 AM

Feb 2014
CrallyLystia said:
I just watched the film... And I wondered why the cinema was quite empty, the film was amazing though
I live in Indonesia so i think most people are waiting for the bd disc that came out two weeks later.

where do u watch it? im indonesian and in my theater (MoI) 80% of the seats occupied.

really like kyoani's detail in animation, soundtrack and all the emotion they give in 1 film. really like this more than kimi no na wa
May 3, 2017 6:22 AM

Apr 2017
veline said:
CrallyLystia said:

where do u watch it? im indonesian and in my theater (MoI) 80% of the seats occupied.

really like kyoani's detail in animation, soundtrack and all the emotion they give in 1 film. really like this more than kimi no na wa

Im in medan and i watched it in cinemaxx... Its quite empty really
Life isn't as fun and easy as anime.
Watch anime to bring that fun!!
May 3, 2017 10:08 AM
Aug 2015
Just watched it at cinema today~
SaturnSkye said:
Ok so I'm a bit bitter sweet about this and I think the reason why is that the subtitled translation wasn't as good as it could be. In the first half, especially when Shouko was being bullied, I held back tears on numerous occasions. Then in the second half I found that things weren't as well explained as I'd like, conversations were just a bit off. It's hard to put my finger on it.

The other thing is that for some reason I wasn't expecting this to be so much about friendship. I was expecting more of a romance. Sure it was obvious that they like each other, with Shouko even confessing at one point. I felt the ending was a bit abrupt, as I was still expecting romance. It was developing nicely and then all of a sudden he drops his walls and all is well. The end. That's nice but I was wanting more. That seemed to be the general consensus in the cinema. Maybe they shouldn't of placed that confession half way through. That's just building hopes that end up accounting to nothing, is it not? The miscommunication wasn't actually addressed. He could of at least asked her out. That would have made for a better ending imo.

I don't know. I was really feeling it in the first half but it lost me a bit in the second. Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoyed it. There's lots of good points. I felt it was unique, I liked the themes, the maturity and it was emotional and heartfelt. I wanted to give it a 10 at first but by the end I'd say an 8. Still great, I just wasn't completely satisfied. Anyone else feel similar?
I feel exactly the same thing •_• it has some touching moments and the jokes were good (especially the Nagatsuka ones xD).. but other things seems a bit off.. some characters didn't developed really well, the confession seems pointless, and the ending was a bit abrupt. I give it a 7/10.
renzosparkMay 3, 2017 10:12 AM
Pages (15) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

258 by kaycooo »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

» This is about loneliness

Soroush_07 - Dec 8, 2023

22 by Rohan_King »»
Dec 15, 2023 8:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.