Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 18, 2016 3:25 AM
Nov 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was a hot battle! Too bad Satoshi lost in the finals. Well that's to be expected I guess.
Aug 18, 2016 3:28 AM

Nov 2009
20 years and still lost, stayed up just for this. So fucking disappointed. He better fucking beat the island masters in Alola and at least claim a tournament trophy. Waited for 20 years and still no win; looks like 20 more years it is. So pissed right now. Childhood dream rekt
Aug 18, 2016 3:30 AM
Oct 2013
You know, with such a vague final strike, the result of the battle could have gone both ways...

...and now the Team Flare arc truly begins.
Aug 18, 2016 3:31 AM

Jul 2012
Pretty lame battle compared to rest of fights in XYZ. Wish there was more creative uses of moves and strategies. Pokemon Contests actually had some cool ways to use moves. Interesting they used rest of episode to start up zygarde stuff, they really should have focused on fight people have been waiting for and not rush it.
Aug 18, 2016 3:31 AM

Mar 2011
I'm so fucking done right now, Alain didn't deserve to win.
Aug 18, 2016 3:38 AM

Jun 2013
I don't know why pokemons creative want ash to lose. It's not going to hurt his image or anything... if anything losing this hurts it more
Aug 18, 2016 4:46 AM

Oct 2014
People seem to be misunderstanding that the Kalos League is the B-plot. The Team Flare Arc is the A-Plot and is what they've wanted to focus on more.

Even though it is disappointing that Ash lost, he put up a great fight and came 2nd.

W.A.I.F.U = Women. Are. Imaginary. For. Us.
Aug 18, 2016 4:57 AM

Apr 2015
*sigh* My heart aches but atleast he lost as a badass and not a retard *cough* Black&White cough*
Aug 18, 2016 5:33 AM
Dec 2009
ETX said:
People seem to be misunderstanding that the Kalos League is the B-plot. The Team Flare Arc is the A-Plot and is what they've wanted to focus on more.

Good point, interesting to see what happens next.

jlvyn14 said:
I don't know why pokemons creative want ash to lose. It's not going to hurt his image or anything... if anything losing this hurts it more

Maybe for long term fans but for kids watching for the first time now they probably don't think as much of it.
Aug 18, 2016 6:06 AM

Apr 2010
ETX said:

Even though it is disappointing that Ash lost, he put up a great fight and came 2nd.

then why even bother with Pokemon XY with its 93 episodes if they just wanted us to focus on Team Flare?? they should've just get on with it from the start if that's what they wanted.. :/
Aug 18, 2016 1:36 PM
Aug 2009
tinman21 said:
ETX said:

then why even bother with Pokemon XY with its 93 episodes if they just wanted us to focus on Team Flare?? they should've just get on with it from the start if that's what they wanted.. :/

It's damage control for terrible writing.
Aug 18, 2016 1:45 PM
Jul 2018
Alain is a Shitty Character that reminded me of Kirito from SAO and Ayato from Asterisk War! why this ass won??? THIS IS SO FUCKING STUPID
Aug 18, 2016 2:30 PM

Sep 2011
Ash losing yet another final that should've been his. God bless the creators of the anime. Shit/10.
Aug 18, 2016 2:57 PM
Aug 2012
gmgkng said:
20 years and still lost, stayed up just for this. So fucking disappointed. He better fucking beat the island masters in Alola and at least claim a tournament trophy. Waited for 20 years and still no win; looks like 20 more years it is. So pissed right now. Childhood dream rekt

I don't think we'll be satisfied with Orange Islands V2.0
Aug 18, 2016 3:11 PM
Jan 2011
If Ash doesn't win here, he'll never win seriously. The final battle was the worst, they barely clashed and mainly used ranged skills. The final attack by both sides just exploded mid air without hitting either one of them. So in the end how the FUCK did Gekkouga get downed by that. Just no, I give up on this show. They're just catering to younger people who never watched S1-15 of pokemon. May Ash remain a loser forever and never become a pokemon master.
Aug 18, 2016 3:30 PM

Jul 2008
eien_kiseki said:
They're just catering to younger people who never watched S1-15 of pokemon.

Yeah, that's kinda the point.
In the end the Pokemon anime is just an extended commercial to sell the new hot Pokemon.
Oh and calling Ash a loser... You do realize he has won way more than he lost right ?

Anyway, I'm still betting on a fourth encounter to Heelface turn Alain to the righteous side. Charizard needs to lose at least once in XYZ, propping him up by winning the league for that encounter is the only reason why it would make sense.

Doesnt make it less heartbreaking though. Especially considering what @Sandyboi reported in the previous thread. Cant believe that they let the guy who wrote that universally disliked battle: Ash V Cameron, Unova League write ANOTHER bullshit battle. At this point that guy might be the most vexed person in the Pokemon staff.
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Aug 18, 2016 4:22 PM
Jul 2018
In all honesty, when people got salty because of the end result, its because they had too high expectations on it I guess, despite the fact that I could see it from a long mile. An ending like this though doesn't change the fact that Pokemon XYZ was a huge improvement to the previous seasons. Sure blame the writers for the writing for this episode, but... in the end, it was still a good series despite that result.

The characterization and character development to each one of the cast members, the top not animation which was probably the most well animated Pokemon anime I've seen, with a lot of camera angles, direction and it seems well done in terms of composing even. Hell they even brought relevance to Ash's previous past and implemented it, which was pretty cool and refreshing. Serena turned out to be one of the best well developed characters in the franchise for a long time, and it was pretty nice to see also. In the end, despite the end result, the journey was still good on its own.

I may be saying too much but just saying.

Also, I don't really get the hate for Alan as a character, sure he may be considered a dick and doesn't deserve to win because of it, but at the same time... not really. I don't really get it at the end of the day.

And sure people do want a change in the Pokemon series, but in all seriousness we're talking about the biggest company who will still milk their asses up with money and want to keep making the anime, so I don't really blame the writers on that end because I do see their intentions of wanting to stand out in terms of writing in the runtime.

This might be contradicting my previous statement but I wanted to get that across.

Actually someone said that the one who wrote this battle, wrote Ash vs Cameron battle? If so then that makes sense... Then it's not really the fault of the main writers then? I'm confused on that.
removed-userAug 18, 2016 4:25 PM
Aug 18, 2016 4:29 PM
Aug 2012
eien_kiseki said:
If Ash doesn't win here, he'll never win seriously. The final battle was the worst, they barely clashed and mainly used ranged skills. The final attack by both sides just exploded mid air without hitting either one of them. So in the end how the FUCK did Gekkouga get downed by that. Just no, I give up on this show. They're just catering to younger people who never watched S1-15 of pokemon. May Ash remain a loser forever and never become a pokemon master.

This is going overboard. It's not catering to them. I'm sure as hell they're just as pissed as us. This isn't just about "after 20 years he's finally done it!". It's more about how they actually hyped it up and gave him a chance but then butchered it by giving Charizard infinite HP.
Aug 18, 2016 5:18 PM

Oct 2010
Salty because:
- 20 years of Pokemon hype
- no gym next region, so this might be the last League hype
- weeks of hype cuz Ash's greninja made a great appearance in the pokemon league and beat Shota (even the official youtube PokemonJP channel hype about this)
- great animation/art
- character development
- Great OST & OP songs
- He lost to Shota, he won in a rematch. He lost twice to Alain so he gotta win now right?!

Why are you giving me all this just to let me down??!

Brock was right the entire time

Even Japanese fans are disappointed, the preview for next episode on the Japanese youtube channel: 547 likes, 25.845 dislikes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkDBCBiFsMs
Aug 18, 2016 5:26 PM
Jul 2018
Hyack said:
Salty because:
- 20 years of Pokemon hype
- no gym next region, so this might be the last League hype
- weeks of hype cuz Ash's greninja made a great appearance in the pokemon league and beat Shota (even the official youtube PokemonJP channel hype about this)
- great animation/art
- character development
- Great OST & OP songs
- He lost to Shota, he won in a rematch. He lost twice to Alain so he gotta win now right?!

Why are you giving me all this just to let me down??!

Brock was right the entire time

Even Japanese fans are disappointed, the preview for next episode on the Japanese youtube channel: 547 likes, 25.845 dislikes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkDBCBiFsMs

Why is Japan so salty about that? I just don't really get it at this point in all honesty. But then again, from what I got, they brought the entire staff that did the fight between Ash and Cameron this week. Which if I remember correctly... that fight was pretty bad in the BW series.

So I guess, rather than blaming the MAIN staff that worked on the writing of XY just blame the guy who previously wrote the one between Ash and Cameron. But then again, Its not like I have anything against the individual or anything in all honesty.
Aug 18, 2016 5:28 PM
Jul 2016
GREAT SERIES...
too bad that it had to end like this...

seriously...
what do they have in their heads?
i mean, they builded up this perfectly...
it was such an good time to go to next level... xplore the elite 4 and champion...

but alas...
i was seeing that happening...
i said it before...
ash would lose to alan NOW...
but he will win durring the flare arc, use the "naruto magic" on Alan...

but still, i was hyped for pokemon go, for sun and moon...
now... i just want to put an "homes smell ya later" on the eye of the dude that made this episode.
Aug 18, 2016 5:28 PM

Jan 2016
The hatred this is receiving... I can see this season sinking drastically in the anime ranking for the future.

What I don't get is what's the point of making Ash lose 6 leagues in a row.
THANKS SENPIEX
Aug 18, 2016 5:31 PM

Oct 2010
Floyd_ said:
The hatred this is receiving... I can see this season sinking drastically in the anime ranking for the future.
It went up during the Kalos league from 7.77 to 7.91 and after the episode of today it dropped to 7.84
Aug 18, 2016 5:34 PM

Jan 2016
Hyack said:
It went up during the Kalos league from 7.77 to 7.91 and after the episode of today it dropped to 7.84

Well, it was the best trolling the writer could ever do, talking about this league lol
THANKS SENPIEX
Aug 18, 2016 5:38 PM
Jul 2016
Floyd_ said:

appeal to "younger audience", but realy...
even the newbies know that ash is an trash character...
this was an good chance to change that...
but you know right? japaneses... they don't care about what consequences their choices may cause...

@topic

well...
this is where the series ends for me.
hope next league on gen8 get as good as this one, but what i TRULY hope is that those dudes that makes this anime get some idea of what they r doing...
Aug 18, 2016 5:41 PM

Jul 2008
Floyd_ said:

Well to be fair here. He technically hasnt lost 6 in a row, he just hasnt won any of them. Anyway, the reason is the same why the big, classical Superheroes always stay relative the same. Its safer to build up again using the same foundation that worked instead of building further and higher towards new heights. Status quo beats the unknown in the mind of corporations.

@TheLittleRedHero ''ctually someone said that the one who wrote this battle, wrote Ash vs Cameron battle? If so then that makes sense... Then it's not really the fault of the main writers then? I'm confused on that.''

The guy who wrote this ep has been on board since Kanto. Pikachu's Goodbye was his debut episode according to Bulbapedia. Pokemon got multiple writers and animation teams, only way to keep up the pace that being a weekly show bring to the table.

Side note: I keep seeing people call Ash thrash and other related terms like that. Can someone actually explain why they think that instead of the original ''he keeps losing leagues'' You know, the competition filled with the best trainers around.
PunkbeetleAug 18, 2016 5:46 PM
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Aug 18, 2016 5:44 PM
Jul 2016
Punkbeetle said:

Well to be fair here. He technically hasnt lost 6 in a row, he just hasnt won any of them. Anyway, the reason is the same why the big, classical Superheroes always stay relative the same. Its safer to build up again using the same foundation that worked instead of building further and higher towards new heights. Status quo beats the unknown in the mind of corporations.

man, if they changed the protagonist like they do in the manga...
well an man can only dream...
Aug 18, 2016 5:49 PM

Jan 2016
Punkbeetle said:

I meant in the sense of the times he's been participating on the leagues. He lost them, one by one.
THANKS SENPIEX
Aug 18, 2016 6:00 PM

Jul 2008
KK_VANTAS said:
Punkbeetle said:

And by doing so create a Digimon scenario ? Seriously, how many people cared beyond Tamers ? Heck, they even brought an Agumon back for the 5th show.

Whether you like it or not Ash and Pikachu are the faces of Pokemon and by being familiar transfer people over every gen because of the investment that has already been placed into said characters. As long as they still give off that feeling and get results they wont be replaced.
Same reason why Spider-man and Batman always return to their roots every few years. Familiarity sells.

Besides, if you want variation you got Adventure just as you mentioned. Pokemon caters in almost every taste across the Entertainment spectrum.
Sick of Ash ? Read Adventure. Want something else ? Pick up Reburst. Want to be a Pokemon ? Mystery Dungeon.
Aug 18, 2016 6:12 PM

Oct 2010
What happen after the battle:

Ash: "You did well Gekkouga"
Gekkouga: "I'm sorry".
Ash: "Don't apologize! I'm thankful to all of you guys."

What Ash really meant:

Gekkouga: "I'm sorry".
Ash: "Don't feel sorry I'm going to replace you all anyways."
Aug 18, 2016 6:28 PM
Jul 2016
Punkbeetle said:
KK_VANTAS said:

And by doing so create a Digimon scenario ? Seriously, how many people cared beyond Tamers ? Heck, they even brought an Agumon back for the 5th show.

Whether you like it or not Ash and Pikachu are the faces of Pokemon and by being familiar transfer people over every gen because of the investment that has already been placed into said characters. As long as they still give off that feeling and get results they wont be replaced.
Same reason why Spider-man and Batman always return to their roots every few years. Familiarity sells.

Besides, if you want variation you got Adventure just as you mentioned. Pokemon caters in almost every taste across the Entertainment spectrum.
Sick of Ash ? Read Adventure. Want something else ? Pick up Reburst. Want to be a Pokemon ? Mystery Dungeon.

yeah, you got an point there.
BUT, i don't think that one can just compare the adventures to digimon...

we can't just say that pokemon would've succeed or failed if they had followed the manga...
BUT,
i had an friend that never liked the 5gen(i don't need to say why, right?)
i said to him to give the 5 gen an try, at least the games, but nothing...
one day we were at school, borring as always, i was reading the 5gen manga that i had just bought, he then beggan to read too...
i don't need to continue do i?
oh, btw, just mention that "red is in the manga" done, instant readers...
always works...
i wounder if that would've worked with ash...
of course not...

ash and pikachu may be the faces of pokemon, but clearly, the anime, games, manga, etc... doesn't sell cuz of them...
ash was, is, will be an character that everyone hates, and pikachu will be the the pokemon that defeats pseudo-legends and loses to an begginers snivy...

and now that you mentioned...
weren't there an mystery dungeon pilot that they made 2 parts and only aired 1?
Aug 18, 2016 6:48 PM

Dec 2013
Guys, trust in the based director that finally made a pokemon anime that is actually enjoyable to watch. Based director will make it up to us by making Ash win the next league in a more epic way. Probably by bringing back all his old pokemon to win this time. Let's be real. If Ash won this league everyone would've made fun of him for just the fact that he got carried by memefrog. We need a REAL league win which satisfies everyone from gen 1 - 6 which is by using all his old pokemon from all his past.

Don't lose hope guys. We watched this show for 15 + years now. Another 4 + years will not hurt if the win is worth it all.
Just imagine a league win where Ash flashbacks to all his previous journey and hold the league trophy. God damn would that be more satisfying than just memefrog/pikachu hard carrying everything and winning it all.
Not to mention the fact that the rival he lost to is not even happy about winning the league. It would be much better if Ash won the league against a rival like Paul or Gary.

(To be honest I would've been okay with him winning this gen but its more satisfying if Ash won by using his old pokemon in the league just like DP league)

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Aug 18, 2016 6:53 PM

Jan 2013
This season dropped 0.7 in score since this episode aired.

The salt is too damn real, hahaha
Aug 18, 2016 7:59 PM

Jan 2016
Hyuse said:
(To be honest I would've been okay with him winning this gen but its more satisfying if Ash won by using his old pokemon in the league just like DP league)

It's funny because when he selected from old generations, he chose Pokemon like Corphish and Torkoal against Darkrai lol But that was back then, now he might be more serious when selecting them if he ever has another chance to be something
THANKS SENPIEX
Aug 18, 2016 9:08 PM

Jan 2016
I was so happy coming back into the Pokémon Anime after BW and it was so good, but now I've literally lost all my interest. Do they actually want to make a good show? I just recovered from the Sinnoh Ass pull and now this?

I was honestly on the verge of tears as Pokémon means so much to me. My score just dropped from 10 to 6-7, what the people making this shit must understand is that we want to see Ash win the F***** league not be the "hero" of Kalos. Funny thing is everyone are saying that they hate Ash but the fact is that we all care so much about him winning cause we have watched him since we were kids and want to see him succeed.

Yea and that was the end of our one of the most if not the most anticipated Pokémon episode in the history of the show.
Aug 18, 2016 11:16 PM
Jul 2012
I didn't care to see him win mostly because next season they will have him lose to more starters so I'd rather them not break the cycle by having a champion lose to a new trainer.
Aug 18, 2016 11:40 PM

Feb 2012
wow f out of here ... they really changed the ending of this episode when they took the 3 week hiatus .... Even Team Rocket thought the kid was gonna win and they said they were disappointed in pikachu for not fighting full power lol hyping fans for this episode only to get disappointment.... I guarantee you ash is going to end up in some league were he has to battle all his rivals to get to the top Gary, ritchie,harrison, Shota, Alan, paul, barry, tobias ... wouldnt be surprised if red makes a appearance
Aug 19, 2016 12:17 AM
Jun 2016
I'm so pissed right now. It's obvious that Alain isn't the better trainer; five out of six of his Pokemon never appeared like they had substantial training at all, whereas Ash's are all versatile

Also since when did Genkouga get weak to fire type moves? He fucking took on the Champion and almost beat her, but this is what knocks him out? Yeah fucking right. Great example of trash writing.
Aug 19, 2016 12:22 AM

Jun 2014
Is he ever gonna won in Kalos League? Is there going to be another season?
Aug 19, 2016 1:12 AM

May 2009
Chandela said:

Just imagine the score if Ash actually won. Most def an 8-9
Aug 19, 2016 1:34 AM

Jan 2013
Shoryuuken said:
Chandela said:

Just imagine the score if Ash actually won. Most def an 8-9

I could most definitely see that with the apparent hype that surrounded this championship match.
Aug 19, 2016 2:18 AM
Jan 2016
Ughh, what is hurting my head here is that they could of made this match a tie considering Ash and Alan were on even footing. It would of looked better to fans I think too. Then again, the writers don't have much excuse since Ash winning a league doesn't mean the end at all when the Elite Four still sit up at the top.

XYZ has been a great experience nonetheless! It changed my perspective of the Pokemon anime in a splendid way.
Aug 19, 2016 3:01 AM

Sep 2012
Wow, the amount of hate for this episode! :O

Like, I kinda get it since I wanted Satoshi (Ash) to win as well but also, the series will continue and therefore he must travel to the next region and as a champion I don't think he could've done that (also, he would be able to beat everyone from the start and that's not a good way to progress in the series since you have to feel the struggle ;D )

In any case I'm quite happy with this episode, the animation was great and Satoshi made it pretty far (unlike in few other leagues) and also I'm curious about what's Team Flare's goal and what happens to that girl's Harimaron ^^
Aug 19, 2016 3:50 AM

Sep 2014
Pokémon anime logic:
Greninja gets hit by leaf storm *acts like nothing happened*
Greninja gets hit by blast burn *faints*
Aug 19, 2016 4:06 AM

May 2009
Isn't it just funny that Ash lost the league because of a Charizard TWICE? lmfao It went from the most loved pokemon to the most hated pokémon in less then 24 hours.
Aug 19, 2016 4:27 AM

Apr 2015
I'm a bit disappointed in this battle honestly... I prefer the battle between Unfezant and Talonflame in the previous episode...
btw what happen to that water shuriken?? it like a move from Dragonball lol...
Aug 19, 2016 4:38 AM

Aug 2015
Shoryuuken said:
Isn't it just funny that Ash lost the league because of a Charizard TWICE? lmfao It went from the most loved pokemon to the most hated pokémon in less then 24 hours.

Hahaha, I remembered the time when his OWN Charizard was duked out by Harrison's Blaziken, that was so much lol.

But seriously, for 19 years, everyone of us just wanted Ash to win a league, let's be honest. What was that Mega Rasen Water Shuriken for? (Disappointment, that's what it is for) Ash-Greninja took 2 Leaf Storms from a Mega-Sceptile yet fainted from a Blast Burn not even affected by Mega Charizard X's Tough Claws?!! On top of that, Alain's Charizard just shrugged off not 1, but 2 SUPER-EFFECTIVE Thunderbolts on non-Mega Evolution Forme from Ash's Pikachu gone Pseudo-Legend Slayer mode.

ETX said:

So, 19 years of watching every League in the Anime just to watch Ash battle Team Flare? You have one great sense of humor.
Aug 19, 2016 5:39 AM

Apr 2010
Hachinozen said:

Hahaha, I remembered the time when his OWN Charizard was duked out by Harrison's Blaziken, that was so much lol.

But seriously, for 19 years, everyone of us just wanted Ash to win a league, let's be honest. What was that Mega Rasen Water Shuriken for? (Disappointment, that's what it is for) Ash-Greninja took 2 Leaf Storms from a Mega-Sceptile yet fainted from a Blast Burn not even affected by Mega Charizard X's Tough Claws?!! On top of that, Alain's Charizard just shrugged off not 1, but 2 SUPER-EFFECTIVE Thunderbolts on non-Mega Evolution Forme from Ash's Pikachu gone Pseudo-Legend Slayer mode.

Because of this episode, I now realize that even if Ash has a full-Legendary Pokemon Team, he will still lose in the League even if the opponent has a party full of Magikarp.. pokemon dream has ended for me, I won't ever hope for Ash's victory again.. it's just a fool's errand at this point..
Aug 19, 2016 7:06 AM
May 2016
Well the rate is one of the worst in anime history talking about Japan for pokemon
Pokémon XY & Z TV Tokyo August 11 (Thurs) 18:55 30 min. Average rating 2.0
Aug 19, 2016 7:24 AM
Jul 2018
Did anyone really think Ash/Satoshi gonna win. Like seriously I will feel bad the moment he will let go of that Gekkouga/Greninja. Wait till the next region and we will see more of this. X)

P/s: Was actually surprised with his pokemon he beat Shouta. That some bs in pokemon fighting there. Too bad he can't beat Alan in these but still hey got into top 2. Good for him. X)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 9 Discussion

Norjack2 - Dec 24, 2015

12 by PrOxAnto »»
Apr 14, 10:48 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 7 Discussion

Norjack2 - Dec 10, 2015

14 by PrOxAnto »»
Apr 14, 8:30 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 5 Discussion

-Koga- - Nov 27, 2015

9 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 25, 9:07 AM

» Can I watch this as a standalone?

Nemersis - Jan 22

34 by Nemersis »»
Mar 7, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 3 Discussion

StarryWindy - Nov 12, 2015

16 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 6, 6:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.