Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 15, 2016 5:51 AM

Aug 2016
Hello people, my first forum post on this website, decided to no start with controversial things.

Being a big fan of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, I've watched a lot reviews about it, and I've noticed 1 thing:

Most of people who likes it have something else than Anime related profile pictures and they seems to be more "casual" watchers, and people with Anime related profile pictures and overall more experienced with Anime are not seen around and when if are, they seems to dislike it.

I know this is pretty wild claim, but is Higurashi no Naku Koro ni more popular amongst casual Anime watcher than more "experienced" ones?

I personally do not watch a lot Anime, since most of them do not interest me, but Higurashi is my favorite (By the way, currently watching Great Teacher Onizuka, looks great)

EDIT:And before you get confused, this is what I meant with "casual" watcher:

"Casual" watcher is someone who has seen few Anime shows and is not super fans of Anime.

They often avoid shows with sexual fan service, which is the reason why they don't watch many shows.

And remember: Let's keep this civil, you shouldn't get angry or offended on Internet, especially on websites like this.
DoshNeededAug 15, 2016 7:28 AM
Self-proclaimed the least Otaku person on this website.
Aug 15, 2016 5:52 AM

Apr 2013
Higurashi was one of the first anime I watched back in the day.

I liked it.

Doubt most casual fans watch it these days since it's dated.
Aug 15, 2016 5:55 AM

Feb 2016
I started watching anime in around late September or October, and Higurashi was the 3rd show I ever watched. And I enjoyed it. Its a shame if people miss out on the experience because it's old.
Well, at least the first season anyway. I know my opinion isn't a popular one but the second season was so boring imo. The only part I enjoyed was Takanos backstory
CareBearAug 15, 2016 5:59 AM
Aug 15, 2016 5:57 AM

Aug 2016
hoopla123 said:
Higurashi was one of the first anime I watched back in the day.

I liked it.

Doubt most casual fans watch it these days since it's dated.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni was my 2nd Anime show what I watched ever. First one was Mirai Nikki what I disliked strongly.
Aug 15, 2016 5:58 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I doubt it.

None of my friends who are casuals know of this anime. I knew the existence of it not too long ago....from my fujoshi cousin

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Aug 15, 2016 6:01 AM

Sep 2012
I don't think so.I mean look at this.

Everyone love this.I think this anime really good as SoL.So every SoL fan at some point will watch this.Since it's old I don't think newcomers will watch this with priority tho.

DoshNeeded said:

And remember: Let's keep this civil, you shouldn't get angry or offended on Internet, especially on websites like this.

Aug 15, 2016 6:09 AM

Apr 2014
not really, as not a lot of Casual anime watchers know what it is, atleast, in my experience.
Aug 15, 2016 6:16 AM

Feb 2013
perhaps you might be onto something because i still havent watched that show yet

but your definition of casual seems to me to rather describe the ~2007-10 version of someone who would have been interested in elfen lied in ~2004-06
Aug 15, 2016 6:19 AM
Jul 2016
Not really sure how you define "casual", but I saw it a long time ago when it was new and loved it.
Aug 15, 2016 6:22 AM

Jul 2009
I wouldn't call it the best horror anime, but it's definitely not casual material. It's popular in the anime community but not really among general viewers. Usually you see casuals start with Bebop, Dragon Ball or Naruto, so yeah.

Btw, Mirai Nikki isn't good. Don't feel bad for disliking it lol.
Aug 15, 2016 6:37 AM

Jun 2015
Nah, of my casual friends, I think 2 or 3 have watched it.
Aug 15, 2016 6:38 AM

Oct 2013
Well I'm not a casual veiwer and I love Higurashi
But I wouldn't be surprised if the show is more popular with casual fans since they don't always know exactly what is the popular/trending opinions of the community
What I mean with that is this. The show is done by DEEN and most experienced fans now a days hate on DEEN from my observation
Well that was the case until Kono Suba aired of course
Aug 15, 2016 6:50 AM

Sep 2012
kamisama751 said:
sasalx said:
I think this anime really good as SoL.So every SoL fan at some point will watch this.Since it's old I don't think newcomers will watch this with priority tho.

I haven't watched it but I got the whole thing spoiled and...

"trying"

Well since your taste is different than me I won't say anything but this show is not about gore and murder.There is an actual story in there.You should invest this anime imo.
Aug 15, 2016 6:54 AM

Dec 2015
I don't think its an anime for Casuals. I have tried to get several of my friends who are casual anime viewers to watch it and they don't want to be patient with the show.

Also, as someone has stated above, its a dated show (on top of Deen's horrible art lol).

@OP

Its still my favorite anime show and this is the anime that turned me into a true anime fan. Also, I am definitely not a casual and my avatar is Rena.

@Kamisama751

lol trying... how about you watch it then make an assumption like that. Madoka Magicka is like a wannabe Higurashi, and no the gore isn't the thing that makes Higurashi dark. Its the utter paranoia, hopelessness, and despair that makes it dark. Let's not forget about the atmosphere they build up in the show too. Refer back to S;G "Mayuuuurriiiiii" and wanting to pull your hair out everytime you saw Okabe fail.
CejaraAug 15, 2016 7:00 AM
Aug 15, 2016 7:02 AM

Oct 2013
kamisama751 said:
It is 3rd episode of Madoka Magica's level of shock factor. Basically another starting as cute but turns into something trying to be dark.

But there is a difference. Higurashi is actually good and has all that sweet gore and torture while Madoka is just Mirai Nikki with out all the gore and rape
Aug 15, 2016 7:07 AM

Feb 2015
I watched it in my casual watcher days before I really got into anime because a friend recommended it to me. Didn't think it was that fun, and wouldn't say it's a great beginner's anime either.
Aug 15, 2016 7:18 AM

Aug 2016
souchan473 said:
Not really sure how you define "casual", but I saw it a long time ago when it was new and loved it.

Well, by what I understand "casual" watcher is someone who has seen few Anime shows and is not super fans of Anime.

They often avoid shows with sexual fan service, which is the reason why they don't watch many shows.
Aug 15, 2016 7:19 AM

Dec 2015
kamisama751 said:
sasalx said:

"trying"
Cejara said:

lol trying... how about you watch it then make an assumption like that. Madoka Magicka is like a wannabe Higurashi, and no the gore isn't the thing that makes Higurashi dark. Its the utter paranoia, hopelessness, and despair that makes it dark. Let's not forget about the atmosphere they build up in the show too. Refer back to S;G "Mayuuuurriiiiii" and wanting to pull your hair out everytime you saw Okabe fail.
Deknijff said:

But there is a difference. Higurashi is actually good and has all that sweet gore and torture while Madoka is just Mirai Nikki with out all the gore and rape

I don't know since I haven't watched it yet but trying to be dark can succeed.

It did very well in its atmosphere. Also that picture posted above is from one of those stupid side stories and is not a representation of what Higurashi is. It has nothing to do with a magical girl anime just to give you a heads up, since that picture he posted is misleading and Higurashi fans hate those side episodes.
Aug 15, 2016 7:23 AM

Jul 2014
It was popular before but now it seemed to gone quiet down....it dosent rlly seem popular amongst anyone now :/
Aug 15, 2016 7:26 AM

Aug 2016
AnimeAddict117 said:
It was popular before but now it seemed to gone quiet down....it dosent rlly seem popular amongst anyone now :/

Yeah, that's sad. It's really a good show.

But I'm actually more sad that Sound Novel Umineko no Naku Koro ni isn't very popular because of its poor animated adaptation. Luckily Sound Novel's Steam version came not so long time ago, so I hope it will make it more popular.
Aug 15, 2016 7:26 AM

Oct 2013
DoshNeeded said:
souchan473 said:
Well, by what I understand "casual" watcher is someone who has seen few Anime shows and is not super fans of Anime.
I have a much different image of a casual.
Gives everything they watch a 8-10 score
Says their favorite anime is obviously the best anime ever made despite not having watched every anime ever made.
Thinks generic equals bad because they haven't watched enough to realize everything is generic or at least not as unique as they believe and doesn't realize execution is what matters
Aug 15, 2016 7:29 AM

Aug 2016
I've edited my original post; I've added what I meant with "casual" watcher to avoid any confusion.

Nov 2009
Higurashi was too scary for me, I dropped it after the first arc.

I would not recommend Higurashi to 'casual' viewers, even if they asked me to recommend a horror. It's a show for people with some experience. At least, for people who have proven they are capable of watching a slice-of-life show that Higurashi pretends to be.

I have no idea why somebody experienced with anime would write a bad review of Higurashi. Except to warn other people that it's a horror, and a powerful one at that.

Jul 2015
Idk if I'm experienced or a little more casual, but I really like Higurashi S1. I wouldn't have liked it nearly as much if it didn't have S2 though. S2 is thebomb.com.
Aug 15, 2016 7:35 AM

Aug 2015
Higurashi is awesome, but I don't think any of my casual friends know of it. And since it's getting "old", that won't change.
Aug 15, 2016 7:39 AM

Oct 2013
Cejara said:
It did very well in its atmosphere. Also that picture posted above is from one of those stupid side stories and is not a representation of what Higurashi is. It has nothing to do with a magical girl anime just to give you a heads up, since that picture he posted is misleading and Higurashi fans hate those side episodes.
I don't understand how other fans can hate those specials. They're hilariously funny
Aug 15, 2016 7:40 AM

Dec 2015
Deknijff said:
Cejara said:
I don't understand how other fans can hate those specials. They're hilariously funny

I liked some of the episodes, some of them I thought were stupid. I know lots who will absolutely deny they are even part of the Higurashi series though lol. Higruashi is my #1 favorite show though, so I watched all of them either way.
Aug 15, 2016 7:44 AM

Oct 2013
Cejara said:
Deknijff said:
I liked some of the episodes, some of them I thought were stupid. I know lots who will absolutely deny they are even part of the Higurashi series though lol. Higruashi is my #1 favorite show though, so I watched all of them either way.
I swear some fans are so weird
Sure I don't like the Shakugan no Shana movie but that doesn't mean I'll pretend it doesn't exists
Aug 15, 2016 7:53 AM

Jan 2011
well it has the moe girls wielding knives an laughing while covered in blood that casual fans love so much

maybe not so popular right since there are newer shows that also have this but it used to be popular back then
Aug 15, 2016 9:10 AM

Sep 2015
I watched this early on, like October last year. It was and still is one of my favourites. I then introduced it to my casual friends and the infection spread
Aug 15, 2016 10:02 AM
Jul 2016
DoshNeeded said:
souchan473 said:

I got ya, but it's kind of relative I think. I've been watching anime for about 16 years and I've watched close to 300 (that I can remember). I know there are some
fans who have watched way more in less time. To them, I'm probably a "casual".
Aug 20, 2016 2:53 PM

Jan 2016
I've watched anime for more than 20 years. I don't remember all the shows I've seen. I love Higurashi. That's how I found this thread. A couple students actually recommended it to me after I told them some of the stuff I'd watched in the past. I think it more so depends on taste.
Sep 2, 2016 6:18 AM
Jul 2016
According to your definition, I am not a casual viewer. Anyway, let me skip to the point. I think that the more experienced people watch Higurashi, mainly because the first season is not the best way of introduction to anime, in most people's opinion. I've seen many people watching Higurashi and never even bothering to watch the second season, and most who do... They do so because they don't want to leave an anime unfinished. So, I think it's more popular among the more experienced viewers. The anime is also dated so that makes some people assume it is of lower quality.
Sep 2, 2016 8:46 AM
Nov 2014
Higurashi is more popular to people who are more into anime.And that's because only those who are into anime will actually get to know about higurashi.Higurashi is a great anime,but definitely lack popularity.
Sep 8, 2016 12:03 PM

Mar 2014
Should be watch Moah
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Apr 29, 2019 3:22 AM
Feb 2019
Well, that's a fact that I watched Higurashi when I was more paranoid from any other genres aside from horror, but that's just me, I think. It can be viewed as a casual anime though, there are not too many things people wouldn find undoubtedly strange in it, aside the derp faces:D
Jul 3, 2021 11:39 PM
Feb 2017
For me it depends on the genre. Not because of casual watcher or something like that.

I love comedy, sol, mystery, psychology, and horror. I'm not interested in the shounen genre. Shounen is the genre I avoid the most. To me, shounen is just for kids.

Mystery genre, requires you to think. A child mostly avoids this type of genre.

Any mystery franchise (not just higurashi) is popular in 19xx - 2010. Like detective conan, kindaichi, etc.

The question is, why does the mystery genre have such low popularity in the modern era? Because nowadays people are too lazy to think. Just read on this forum alone, so many people confused with the story and didn't even try to guess the answer.

I started watching mystery genre in 2003. Then in 2010, I started watching Higurashi without being spoiled by anything, without reading reviews, just blind. And the result is... I was very shocked! I really love Higurashi since that day. I don't think in the modern era there's people who will have the same experience as me.

People today: read reviews, got spoiled, of course the results are just meh in their minds.

Most of my friends who like higurashi are those who like the mystery genre.

Most people confused with Higurashi, for people who rarely reading/watching mystery genre for them Higurashi is a garbage, because how confused they are with the story. That what I always heard from non-mystery fans.

Also, the higurashi fans keep spreading false information like "Higurashi is the best gore anime" or "Higurashi is the king of horror anime", but I never heard people says "Higurashi is one of the best mystery anime". People who actually love gore and horror will be disappointed with it and ending of hating on it. Higurashi is not the best horror and the best gore anime, but Higurashi is anime about mystery and dementia. The mystery on higurashi is so strong, but rarely people understand about the mystery aspect of it. People keep complaining they are very confused with the story, without knowing that this is mystery aspect of higurashi. And ended up with people hating on this anime for not actually knowing what Higurashi is all about.

Horror is not the same as mystery. It's different genre. But idk people always mixed them together. But yeah, most of author will mixed mystery and horror genre in the story. But, that doesn't mean horror is the same as mystery.
whoisremJul 4, 2021 5:46 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tekky99 - Mar 14, 2008

268 by walgreenscanada »»
Apr 13, 9:49 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

171 by Extremo888 »»
Mar 27, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 17, 2008

210 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

142 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Voltlighter - Dec 28, 2007

148 by Ratris_Decision »»
Feb 4, 12:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.