Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Aug 7, 2016 9:52 PM

Sep 2013
I've been waiting in anticipation to see Velvet Crowe and what she is like. She's a pretty cool...and hot. The fanservice part of her clothes aside, her attire looks really fucking cool. Excited to see what she can do both in the anime and when the game comes out.

Thought it was really cool that they put the intro from the Tales of Zestiria game on there. Great nostalgia moment
TehSnawnAug 15, 2016 3:30 AM

Aug 7, 2016 10:59 PM

Jul 2012
I had no idea wtf was going on, Thought I missed an episode or something but nope they just randomly switched to someone else's story out of no where which is understandably confusing for anyone who hasn't played the games.
Aug 7, 2016 11:10 PM

Aug 2013
The anime title really made sense after this episode, involving the plot of two games makes me bsatante excited to see the development of this anime, the mood among the scripts of the games look much different, but it gets exciting to see what will be the the crossing between them ..
Aug 8, 2016 1:44 AM
May 2016
Ryan64 said:
Tbh, I loved this episode and Velvet's story seems much more interesting than Sorey's, but this is so out of place :/ they should have done a separated OAV or something if they really wanted to animate the beginning of Berseria.

The reasoning of Velvet's story is due to her being the source of the calamity, as the red hair chicked was like "are you the hope we need or will you spread the calamity". something on the lines of that.

I have to agree that it feels out of place since Sorey is about friendship but Velvet all being about revenge. As much as original ufotable will go, they still have to stick to their source material of certain characters' origins.
Aug 8, 2016 2:26 AM

Jan 2011
This was an amazing episode. Really awesome to finally see Velvet show up after seeing her in the anime OP. She's such a badass and I really like her character design overall. Her voice really suits her too. Seres also seems like a great character, and seems to acknowledge Velvet by the end of the episode. Rokurou also showed up since he was also a prisoner on the island. Artorious sounds pretty threatening. Those brief flashbacks really made me curious about Velvet's past. I honestly wish Tales of Berseria got its own anime but really glad to see this mini arc animated for a Zestiria anime. Can't wait for the next episode!

Also, the Zestiria game OP playing at the end was somewhat random but such an awesome addition; White Light by Superfly ftw!
Aug 8, 2016 2:36 AM

May 2010
Tales of Berseria really is a lot more interesting than Zestiria, the characters are all cool and interesting.

The insert song tho. Great animation for sure.

I would rather see Berseria continue at this point rather than Zestiria tho I guess both are connected.
Aug 8, 2016 3:22 AM

Aug 2008
Stealth (not) marketing for the next while! Well, can't blame them, with Berseria's Japanese release just around the corner.
Though, I do wonder, how close will the two stories mingle going forward. My understanding is that the two stories take place on the same world (as with other Tales titles). I could be wrong.

But yeah, Velvet's badass. Her attire and appearance are badass too. Can't wait till next year's release on Steam on the NA side to enjoy it...
Aug 8, 2016 3:38 AM
Jul 2018
So what I've gathered from the posts is that Tales of Berseria is a different game with no relation to Zestiria? Whaaaaaat?

Well Velvet is badass and I like her a lot! I'm kinda confused atm though, whether these stories are gonna connect somewhere? Gaaah I need to play the game then? Rip
Aug 8, 2016 4:33 AM

Jun 2011
Ridley-Laforet said:
So what I've gathered from the posts is that Tales of Berseria is a different game with no relation to Zestiria? Whaaaaaat?

Well Velvet is badass and I like her a lot! I'm kinda confused atm though, whether these stories are gonna connect somewhere? Gaaah I need to play the game then? Rip

Nah, they're connected. We know for a fact that
Aug 8, 2016 5:54 AM

Jun 2013
So this episode is about Velvet Crowe, a sekushi woman in quite revealing clothes. There's this thing going on about exorcists and daemons, with daemons being the bad guys and exorcists keeping them trapped. This blindfolded woman comes to help Velvet escape from the dungeon and they get out and meet another daemon man who also escaped and is crazy strong like Velvet. And they plan to escape by causing a hell of a commotion and then using it to steal a boat before they send it away because that'd make escaping impossible. But they meet stronger exorcists which is going to be a challenge for Velvet and Blindfolded woman.

Velvet is out for revenge against some dude who killed her brother (?) for some ritual to make himself stronger. That person is probably causing all that malevolence around the world, or maybe he isn't and wants to make things right and Velvet is the bad guy. The OP does hint towards a fight between Sorey and Velvet, and Sorey won't fight her unless she's a villain. The blindfolded woman did question whether Velvet's power will save the world or be a big source of malevolence (or something along those lines). Velvet does seem to have a contract/curse which makes her stronger or something, or at least the blindfolded one thinks so.

Would be interesting if they show Velvet's side of the story and portray her as innocent and then they show the other side of the story and portray her as evil and then have Sorey decide who is evil. Well, that is assuming this isn't all just an advertisement for Berseria and has nothing to do with the story of this show. Next episode is supposedly about Velvet which will help us learn more about her. Also, that sequence before the ending credits, that was so god damn sugoi.
Aug 8, 2016 5:57 AM

May 2015
Good episode, but nothing special really.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 8, 2016 6:03 AM
Aug 2015
so she already appeared.. Velvet.. ohh damn she is awesome!!! <3 <3 <3
ahhhh this is bad!!! i need to play the game to understand the anime better..
Aug 8, 2016 6:41 AM
Mar 2013
sorey and velvet nice characters
Aug 8, 2016 6:42 AM

May 2013
ChoiDalDal said:
Inori_is_love said:
Aye Velvet is super hot. Forgot the red chicks name but I like her too.

Seres but you can call her Lailah too.

you mean that Lailah??
Aug 8, 2016 8:04 AM

Jul 2016
People suspect that Seres is Lailah, but since the game is not out, it's not 100% confirmed.

Both are Fire users with very similar design. Tales of Berseria takes place 1000s of years before the events of Tales of Zestiria.

Seraph can live for a very, very long time. Seres being Lailah is not impossible.

Aug 8, 2016 8:10 AM

Jun 2011
FrozenSheep said:
People suspect that Seres is Lailah, but since the game is not out, it's not 100% confirmed.

Both are Fire users with very similar design. Tales of Berseria takes place 1000s of years before the events of Tales of Zestiria.

Seraph can live for a very, very long time. Seres being Lailah is not impossible.

They have two different voice actor though and Seres's melons seems bigger than Lailah's.
Aug 8, 2016 8:31 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Man, fuck Zestiria.
One episode of this already looks way better and interesting than the boring characters and story of Zestiria.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Aug 8, 2016 9:19 AM
Sep 2015
As a first timer to anything "tales of", I have to say that this sudden transition to Velvet was a bit confusing, but I find her as an overall better protagonist than Sorey. I know This series is splot in two cours, so Im glad that both arcs wont be rushed. Also, I love Prison Breaks. 5/5
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain
-Harvey Dent
Aug 8, 2016 9:48 AM

May 2015
This op sounds amazing!

[アウサマ95]
Aug 8, 2016 11:13 AM

Aug 2011
Shirasho said:
As somebody who hasn't played the games this episode felt outright irrelevant. We are left with what was essentially a cliffhanger and now it seems like we will have 2 or more weeks of another seemingly irrelevant arc. I'm not so much upset that the episodes exist - I'm ticked that the transition was non-existent.

This anime was mostly made for people who played the game, that's why they are showing Tales of Berseria for these next episodes; so people in Japan buy Berseria. The episode is just a teaser for the game that is coming out next week. It's not exactly irrelevant because Tales of Berseria takes place centuries before the events of Zestiria, so we might get a clue as to why things in Zestiria happen.
Aug 8, 2016 11:38 AM
Mar 2015
Xarvyn said:
Shirasho said:
As somebody who hasn't played the games this episode felt outright irrelevant. We are left with what was essentially a cliffhanger and now it seems like we will have 2 or more weeks of another seemingly irrelevant arc. I'm not so much upset that the episodes exist - I'm ticked that the transition was non-existent.

This anime was mostly made for people who played the game, that's why they are showing Tales of Berseria for these next episodes; so people in Japan buy Berseria. The episode is just a teaser for the game that is coming out next week. It's not exactly irrelevant because Tales of Berseria takes place centuries before the events of Zestiria, so we might get a clue as to why things in Zestiria happen.

I just noticed. This, Artorius, guy, maybe he was suppose to be the original shephard. Cuz I know ToZ borrows heavily from the Legend of Arthur storyline
Aug 8, 2016 11:53 AM

Jul 2016
Emirius said:
Xarvyn said:

I just noticed. This, Artorius, guy, maybe he was suppose to be the original shephard. Cuz I know ToZ borrows heavily from the Legend of Arthur storyline

He is, by all appearance, the original Shepherd. People were dependent on him to save their ass, making him a literal God in their eyes.

It's kind of funny. Because of his actions, Shepherd are needed to protect the world. What we see as a good guy (Shepherd) was originally really corrupt and evil... maybe.

We'll have to see how it goes.

Aug 8, 2016 12:26 PM

Aug 2011
FrozenSheep said:
Emirius said:

He is, by all appearance, the original Shepherd. People were dependent on him to save their ass, making him a literal God in their eyes.

It's kind of funny. Because of his actions, Shepherd are needed to protect the world. What we see as a good guy (Shepherd) was originally really corrupt and evil... maybe.

We'll have to see how it goes.

That's why I expect so much from Berseria. It has so much potential to be better than Zestiria in that way.
Aug 8, 2016 1:45 PM
Jul 2014
Tales of Berseria interlude. Enter Anti-Heroes Velvet Crowe, Seres and Rokuro. Cooler (or hotter) than Sorey & Co. ;)
Aug 8, 2016 3:25 PM

Aug 2015
They should had made this an ova or something, oh well. Loved this Velvet girl, she's awesome. Thought the episode was interesting.
Aug 8, 2016 4:10 PM

Dec 2013
blackchannel said:
the only best part is the ending. fucking awesome

It's opening from the game.
Aug 8, 2016 4:57 PM

Apr 2013
Not sure how mixing stories will work, but if Velvet turns out to be the final enemy in Sorey's timeline and these episodes show how she ends being that, it could be pretty nice.

As for the episode itself, it was alright, but sadly it wasn't as much of a visual spectacles as the previous ones.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Aug 8, 2016 5:07 PM
Jul 2015
ok 1 please i need some friends i just started a few weeks ago and dont have any on here on my animelist second the epsidoe was ok powers good the girls nice but it should have shown at least alisha
Aug 8, 2016 5:20 PM

Dec 2013
geralt said:
Not sure how mixing stories will work, but if Velvet turns out to be the final enemy in Sorey's timeline and these episodes show how she ends being that, it could be pretty nice.

There will be only two Berseria eps. They're promoting incoming game.
Aug 8, 2016 8:24 PM

Sep 2015
Just, what??
I thought I clicked Zestiria anime in my browser. Am I doing wrong here?
Wait this anime is badass what is it called?
What? Isn't it Zestiria OP from the game? But what did I watch earlier?

It just feels strange, I'm watching totally different anime..
So bandai namco paid ufotable to animate Berseria in Zestiria anime to crank up its sales, is this the main purpose of the anime?
Aug 8, 2016 8:37 PM

Jul 2016
aspaknyaa said:
Just, what??
I thought I clicked Zestiria anime in my browser. Am I doing wrong here?
Wait this anime is badass what is it called?
What? Isn't it Zestiria OP from the game? But what did I watch earlier?

It just feels strange, I'm watching totally different anime..
So bandai namco paid ufotable to animate Berseria in Zestiria anime to crank up its sales, is this the main purpose of the anime?

1) Promote Tales game
2) Promote Tales of Berseria
3) Hoping for additional sales from Tales of Zestiria
4) Tales of 20th anniversary

Aug 8, 2016 9:09 PM

Sep 2012
I now understand what they meant by that break during the preview.

Why must they torture us over seas with this. I want ToB asap now. Fuck me. So jealous of Japan getting it next week. OTL

Velvet is great. I like the more darker main characters. Yuri still my favourite but I think Velvet might overtake him. We'll see when we get it. grabby hands
I hope we see Eizen next week. 8D
Friends are there to lend a hand when you can’t do something on your own. It’s not one person doing all the work protecting everyone, we help each other when in need. That’s what friends are for.
Aug 9, 2016 4:55 AM

Aug 2011
Kazuto_Katsuragi said:
I now understand what they meant by that break during the preview.

Why must they torture us over seas with this. I want ToB asap now. Fuck me. So jealous of Japan getting it next week. OTL

Velvet is great. I like the more darker main characters. Yuri still my favourite but I think Velvet might overtake him. We'll see when we get it. grabby hands
I hope we see Eizen next week. 8D

I hope we see Eizen too, because
Aug 9, 2016 5:11 AM
Sep 2015
This episode was cleverly paced and I like how they inserted the game's op at the end.
Aug 9, 2016 3:26 PM

May 2009
Japanese audience was angered due to airing of that videoclip before credits (White Light)
Aug 9, 2016 4:19 PM
Jul 2015
bastek66 said:
Japanese audience was angered due to airing of that videoclip before credits (White Light)

They are still salty about Alisha ?
Aug 9, 2016 5:24 PM
Jul 2009
Dab1za9 said:
bastek66 said:

They are still salty about Alisha ?

They just hate the Zestiria game too much in general.
Aug 9, 2016 7:03 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Damn, Velvet is gorgeous.

This episode did feel a bit jarring though, as it seemed like the ball was really starting to get rolling with the Zesteria story. For those who aren't familiar with the source material, even more so.

Still can't get enough of the art in this show, it just looks so high quality. I look forward to it every week.

Velvet's story is ok so far, although we only know very little. Not exactly sure why some are already trying to paint it as some kind of masterpiece. I found the Zesteria characters much more charming.
Aug 9, 2016 7:35 PM
Jul 2009
Todd_ said:
I found the Zesteria characters much more charming.

A matter of taste I guess. I found the Zestiria characters somewhat bland and boring. I don't have that problem with Velvet. I can relate to her motives easily and I really like her personality. Plus she's really competent and badass without coming across as perfect or invincible. It's a pretty good balance.
Aug 9, 2016 8:27 PM

Jan 2008
I really hope this doesn't spoil too much of the Berseria game.

Oh and Velvets outfit /lennyface
Aug 9, 2016 11:03 PM

Nov 2014
Sudden change of plot but still good
Hi there
Aug 10, 2016 4:14 AM

Jan 2015
bastek66 said:

who is this 'japanese audience' ?
Aug 10, 2016 8:07 AM

May 2012
I fell in love with Velvet from the 1st sight. Best character so far

I wish if they drop Zestiria and continue Berseria story
Aug 10, 2016 8:11 AM

May 2012
Theorder14 said:
Ridley-Laforet said:

What is the name of that character ?! I already played Zestiria game, so spoiler is not a problem for me.
Aug 10, 2016 8:21 AM
Jul 2016
velvet #new_waifu #Bad_ass
Aug 10, 2016 9:14 AM

Jun 2011
thepath said:
Theorder14 said:

What is the name of that character ?! I already played Zestiria game, so spoiler is not a problem for me.

Aug 10, 2016 11:53 PM

Oct 2008
Man! this is really something else too! unlimited budget ufotable, the visuals the OST, and so many spoliers to that OP...this gonna be great!
5/5.

Aug 11, 2016 12:51 AM

Oct 2015
eso18 said:
This episode sure came out of nowhere.

As for this episode, I definitely have mixed feeling about it. From the look of it the story of Velvet will be much more interesting than the one in tales of Zestria and at the same time Sorey is nowhere as good of an MC as Velvet in both character and especially the appearance.

STILL.

This is tales of Zestiria anime isn't it. No matter how good the second story is, don't interrupt the first one! From the look of it the second story won't be connected directly to the first story so we will generally have two animes inside a single anime. Unless the story connect to each other directly = characters meeting each other, then this will be rather disappointing as it will be clear that those animes are simply promotions for the game.

I wish they would have kept this as an OVA. I mean its fine if they tell both stories but just inserting one or two episode is bad.

Coming to the episode, it was amazing. Liked the characters more than the Zestiria ones.

Fake people have an image to maintain. Real people just don’t care.
Aug 11, 2016 3:14 AM

Apr 2009
Just one comment: the theme song and the vanimation for it was awesome.
Sig Removed. Hosting site unavailable and giving fall virus readings
Aug 11, 2016 5:58 AM

Aug 2013
For a moment I was wondering what was I watching....
Well done, ufotable got me there. I was not expecting that really.
If only they had romance though, personally prefer playing games with subtle romance in it tbh.
But well a badass heroines like Velvet is good enough for me to crave for Berseria. xD
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2016

188 by bushman66 »»
Dec 6, 2023 6:09 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2016

138 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:31 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

105 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:30 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2016

128 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:28 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Tyrel - Jul 10, 2016

220 by bushman66 »»
Nov 22, 2023 11:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.