Forum Settings
Forums

Why are so many people obsessed with anime openings and closing themes?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 26, 2016 9:38 PM

May 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
Eve778 said:
I'm one of those people! I hate American music because it all sounds the same to me. With anime openings and endings I end up listening to them multiple times, because, well, they're attached to each anime episode I watch. And as I listen to them more, I begin to really like them. And I don't really know what this "everything's generic J-pop" is all about. There's plenty of variety in my opinion.

All American music sounds the same? I fail to see how the Music of Frank Zappa sounds anything like the music of Taylor Swift or how The Residents sound like Michael Jackson.

I've only heard of Taylor Swift and Micheal Jackson. And I honestly don't care enough to check out a variety of American songs. The only one I've listened to are the ones on the radio because the rest of my family somehow enjoys them. Why waste time with that dumb stuff when I could be watching anime?
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Jul 26, 2016 9:41 PM

Dec 2013
Eve778 said:
Why waste time with that dumb stuff when I could be watching anime?

Lmao. I literally almost fell out of my chair XD
Jul 26, 2016 9:46 PM

Apr 2014
I think this will answer your question ;)

Jul 26, 2016 9:50 PM

Jun 2013
Me personally I like anime openings and endings because usually (hence I said usually) they depict the anime themselves or what's about to occur in an arc. The lyrics tend to fit the stories well which makes me enjoy them more.

Even if some are starting to repeat themselves and such I wouldn't really blame it on the music but more on the anime since a lot of series now are copies of each other. There are some unique anime here and there but many of them now have similar plots and character designs.

And like several people have already mentioned it all really comes down to preference. If you happen to think they are generic and bland that's okay everyone has a right to their own opinion and that doesn't mean anyone is right or wrong. The internet needs to learn it's okay to disagree with each other and still be civil and not mock each other for having different opinions.
Jul 26, 2016 9:56 PM

Nov 2011
Eve778 said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

All American music sounds the same? I fail to see how the Music of Frank Zappa sounds anything like the music of Taylor Swift or how The Residents sound like Michael Jackson.

I've only heard of Taylor Swift and Micheal Jackson. And I honestly don't care enough to check out a variety of American songs. The only one I've listened to are the ones on the radio because the rest of my family somehow enjoys them. Why waste time with that dumb stuff when I could be watching anime?

Why would you assume all American music is like what you hear on the radio? That's such a small example of American music as a whole and everyone knows it's not particularly intelligent stuff.
Jul 26, 2016 10:04 PM

May 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
Eve778 said:

Why would you assume all American music is like what you hear on the radio? That's such a small example of American music as a whole and everyone knows it's not particularly intelligent stuff.

Because I'm an ignorant little 14 year old girl who never ever liked the same music her peers liked. Before anime, the only music I could enjoy was songs from musicals and classical music. Also, I'm pretty close-minded when it comes to American pop culture. Shame on me, I guess!
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Jul 27, 2016 6:25 AM

Jun 2016
personally i always skip them. ive yet to hear one with music that i actually liked much
Scream!
Jul 27, 2016 6:52 AM
Jul 2018
I always skip I might have a listen once but after that....

Jul 30, 2016 9:03 PM

May 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
Strawberrycake48 said:
For me at least, the opening and ending themes in my favorite anime hit me with the nostalgia train...even when my memory's a little hazy years after watching something, I can hear the opening or ending and immediately be taken back, & that's always nice.

Also, there are some simply great anime songs nowadays that definitely aren't bland or generic- look at all the JoJo openings and endings!! Psycho-Pass, Tokyo Ghoul, Attack on Titan and most recently Mob Psycho 100, as well as 91 Days have wonderful music...although everyone's taste is different ofc.

Openings/endings can also be really important from a story standpoint as there's often foreshadowing in them & they can signify a tonal shift in the story...I like to appreciate the little extra effort from some anime studios for that!

I haven't watched the Jojo anime just read the manga but doesn't it use classic rock tracks like Roundabout by Yes?

It does!! All of the ending songs are classics from the 70's- 90's! Roundabout, Walk Like An Egyptian, Last Train Home and most recently I Want You by Savage Garden.

I don't know how they got the rights to the music but Idec, it makes JoJo that more awesome I guess XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2016 9:43 PM

Apr 2010
I'll never understand how someone could possibly like something I don't like.
Jul 30, 2016 10:17 PM

Dec 2014
I listen to anime music because I grown tired of most western music I used to listen and I don't care enough to look up for new.

OP and ED are inserted in the anime I watch so I don't have to spend hours listening to obscure bands until I find something I like, the music I like is already there. And while I might be missing great music, like I said before, I don't care enough.

I also like japanese more than english for singing, and I think J-pop is way better than western pop (I know pop is as wide as I can go for a genre, just talking about the music I've listened)
Jul 30, 2016 10:29 PM

Sep 2014
The reason I listen to the music in OP and ED is because it brings back that nostalgic feeling that I've felt watching the anime. Whether it was sad, badass, or happy, it brings back that feeling that I want to experience again when I watched the anime. :D
Jul 30, 2016 10:35 PM

Jul 2014
Eh. I usually skip the OP and go straight to the next episode once the ED starts playing. But I did enjoy the OP's from Attack On Titan.
I play video games. You should play a video game because you read my signature.
Jul 30, 2016 10:42 PM

Sep 2013
The same reason you like westernsongs.
Jul 30, 2016 10:43 PM
Oct 2013
Most of the openings I like are catchy. I obsess over them for awhile and then grow tired of the opening.
Jul 30, 2016 10:47 PM

May 2015
it plays before each episode of the anime you watch and you have the option to skip it or not, for the most part theyre pretty enjoyable with a few that you cant even skip

except for Relife op, Relife sucks
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Jul 30, 2016 10:55 PM

Oct 2011
I have loved several opening and closing themes from shows that I didn't like, so the "because it's used in my favorite anime" argument doesn't apply to me.
Jul 31, 2016 2:47 AM

Jul 2014
Some of them are very good like Fate/Stay UBW OP and ED...one example.... some of them have a good tune and rhythm to it
Jul 31, 2016 2:54 AM

Dec 2014
Watch Mothers Basement to understand what really can go into an opening.
Jul 31, 2016 2:54 AM

Aug 2015
Come on, I just like those flashy music and that's all there is to it! They're catchy...

So the same reason why many people likes music
Jul 31, 2016 2:55 AM

Nov 2012
indeed, why do people like what i don't like?
Jul 31, 2016 2:56 AM

Jun 2012
Gets you hyped up for the anime, imo anyway.
Jul 31, 2016 3:00 AM
Aug 2015
Ecchi_Hater_9000 said:
This thread is definitely not pointless. I actually would like to understand why I obsess over anime OPs and EDs. These songs somehow become more memorable because they're part of something greater.

Like, I normally wouldn't listen to the Berserk OP, but picturing Guts while playing that song... just put your grasses on, nothing will be wong.

The new Berserk OP isn't that bad either...
Jul 31, 2016 8:26 AM

Jul 2014
The answer is quite simple, OP.

Aug 1, 2016 5:05 AM

Jul 2011
I would agree with you OP that there is a lot of generic anime songs & I say that because I love anime songs & I never skip an anime OP/ED at least not the first time I hear it & as I have watch over 1000 anime for the past 25+ years now let's say that I have probably listen few thousand anime songs by now, but most of them it's true are forgettable, but there is few rare cases that you will discover a jewel among them, a song that it will stuck in your head because either the rhythm the melody the artist's voice & the way he/she sing the song is extraordinary or because of all the above at the same time, I have create through the years a list of anime songs that are in my eyes & my ears special & worth keeping & listening from time to time & I don't know about others but I never choose to keep an anime song simply because I love the anime it is from, actually I have in this list songs from completely shity anime, for me all that matters is the song & only the song, I will post some links from few anime songs that I love very much & imo only generic can't be called & write back to me after you get a taste of them & tell me if you agree/disagree with me, I would love to hear what you have to say.

https://soundcloud.com/babyx-milo/bokurano-opening-uninstall

https://soundcloud.com/user1591326/01-kimi-to-taiyou-ga-shinda-hi

https://soundcloud.com/jholmert-enriquez-1/yasashii-uso-w-z-felli-loss

https://soundcloud.com/the-hikari/samurai-7-unlimited

http://www.freeanimemusic.org/anime/nodame-cantabile/index.php?var=001

https://soundcloud.com/saia-desu/azu-ft-seamo-jikan-yo-tomare

https://soundcloud.com/miyazaki-shirou/days-of-dash

https://soundcloud.com/dylanhate/witch-hunter-robin-shell

https://soundcloud.com/ganbamicchan/full-metal-panic-fumoffu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7L1QOjv1d0
Aug 1, 2016 5:14 AM

Apr 2011
Because they help set the tone, they get you more into the show. And it's also so much fun to see different characters that you grow to love, doing different things, having a tease at a romance, doing something cool, etc. It's all about hype and nostalgia. ;)
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Aug 1, 2016 5:24 AM

Feb 2013
It's a normal way to find a band to listen to, if you liked the opening song or the ending one you can check that band or singer and listen to more of his music, what's wrong about that?
Aug 1, 2016 6:01 AM

Aug 2008
Since when people ever obsessed with it? People listen it for nostalgia reason I guess. Nothing to do with obsess.

I did the same to GoT and movie too. Listen to soundtrack of LoTR,GoT etc.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 1, 2016 9:23 AM
Jul 2016
It's hype of the series and tell story with music, imagery, and dances
Aug 1, 2016 2:35 PM

Nov 2014
I like OP and ED songs becasue they sound more interesting and epic to me than a lot of western music. It's all about individual taste really...
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Are European anime settings easier to get into!!!

Afriendlypaw - 11 hours ago

14 by Technopunk »»
5 minutes ago

» Going through shows you saw a decade ago, have they fell off?

Dragevard - 17 minutes ago

2 by LeonhartAugust »»
6 minutes ago

» Which Anime do you think has the overall best OP+ED+OSTs ? ( 1 2 )

NaRc0s_G - Yesterday

61 by Technopunk »»
9 minutes ago

» How do you react to getting spoiled? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 15

60 by Malkshake »»
23 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 3 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

118 by bxbypeach23 »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.