Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 21, 2016 3:36 AM

Jul 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Got the Alain vs Remo battle at the beginning - which took some time.

Part of the battle were a bunch of one-shots.
Hawlucha and Talonflame both one-shotted by Slaking and Clawitzer respectively.
Overall though, I guess the episode wasn't that bad?

Animation and stuff looks a whole lot better for next week's episode.
Jul 21, 2016 7:05 AM

Jul 2008
SandyBoi said:
Part of the battle were a bunch of one-shots.
Hawlucha and Talonflame both one-shotted by Slaking and Clawitzer respectively.
Overall though, I guess the episode wasn't that bad?

Animation and stuff looks a whole lot better for next week's episode.

Clawitzer got ''recoil'' damage though from those attacks that clashed and Talonflame took an Hammer arm/Nitro charge clash, Brave Bird recoil and an Ice beam before going down by Aqua jet.
Hawlucha took a Slaking Counter which can be forgiven. But yeah, it all still seemed a bit fast especially when you know you lost a bit of the ep to Alain..

Anyway, talking about our favorite edgy trainer, Alain vs Remo was interesting but we didnt learn anything from it besides that Alain got a Metagross now - something we all called >_>"
Those teasing animators/writers.

Ash vs Shota starts near the middle of the first part before the CM's and started out amazing with Hawlucha sporting a mask and cape during his entrance ala Luchadores. Unfortunately he got knocked out in a not so very appeasing battle... I really wanted to see Big Brother shine.
Talonflame's battle was nice and he took revenge but seriously the MVP was Clawitzer and Pikachu. Man, now THAT is a league level battle. Great animation, out of the box thinking of both of the trainers and Pikachu finally looking good again after Gekkouga took center stage off him during the last year or so.

Yeah, all in all i'm content but not yet satisfied, the rush is still there and it doesnt seem to let off anytime soon.

-Btw lol at Shota demolishing the field. I get why he did it(To restrict Pikachu's moving options) but they are at 2-2 Next pokemon out forces a field change XD

PunkbeetleJul 21, 2016 10:47 AM
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Jul 21, 2016 9:24 AM

May 2009
Hawlucha vs Slaking was a bit underwhelming, after that epic entrance I expected him to do better, Talonflame taking out Slaking wasn't satisfying aswell. However Pikachu vs Clawitzer was quite amazing, the tactics to the animations were really amazing. Despite Shota having green hair and having a grass starter, he didn't seem to have issues cutting trees left and right x)

Jul 21, 2016 1:23 PM

Mar 2011
I felt sorry for Hawlucha, I wanted him to win after that great entrance, but yeah, counter inflicts the double of the damage received.
Shouta has grown quite a lot, I like how he has become a strong trainer and he gave no fucks when decided to make his Aegislash to cut the trees from the field xD
Next episode will have a lot of budget in the animation, from the preview was just omg-
Jul 21, 2016 1:55 PM

Mar 2014
I'm going forward to see the next duels next episode.

Pikachu vs Aegislash (break the shield)
Noivern vs Salamance (dragon sky battle)
Goodra vs Slurpuff (Dragon vs Fairy)
Greninja vs Sceptile (rivalry showdown)
Jul 22, 2016 5:53 PM

Jan 2016
Remo's team... So easy to say why did he lost even if we should consider anime standards. But if Metagross is really that powerful, we had a case of Tobias 2.0 here, let's see if the finals are easy or not for Alain in the future :D

The way Hawlucha lost is my only complain... The idea for Slaking using Counter was nice but did it have to tank that much? It's like Hawlucha made an epic entrance, only to be KOed by a single (and cheap) move...

Next ep will conclude this battle. If Ash wins, it'll be the first time he ever got to the finals, gotta take advantage of that moment xD
THANKS SENPIEX
Jul 22, 2016 8:31 PM
Jan 2014
Since Ash vs Paul that's probably the best battle of the anime.
Jul 24, 2016 4:20 PM

Dec 2015
Well ... I must say it was a bit frustrating to watch Hawlucha's defeat to stall strategy after his triumphant entrance, but I must give credit to the writer by considering the physical aspect of the Pokémon (i.e. tiredness) which could eventually extend the battle.
Talonflame was ok - expect more of him in Satoshi Vs. Alain.
Pikachu and Clawitzer: It was a fun battle, especially with Shouta compensating Clawitzer speed difference with Aqua Jet.

Alas, didn't expect less from Alain at the ep beggining and...
That's it!! Let's wait for next thursday XD

(Obs: Thanks for showing that video about Kalos League being Rushed Shoryuuken. Indeed, it was just appearing to be rushed cause XY&Z 32 and 33 doesn't focused on Satoshi "less important" battles, but instead in other characters!!)
Jul 26, 2016 1:25 AM
Jun 2011
Floyd_ said:
Remo's team... So easy to say why did he lost even if we should consider anime standards. But if Metagross is really that powerful, we had a case of Tobias 2.0 here, let's see if the finals are easy or not for Alain in the future :D

The way Hawlucha lost is my only complain... The idea for Slaking using Counter was nice but did it have to tank that much? It's like Hawlucha made an epic entrance, only to be KOed by a single (and cheap) move...

Next ep will conclude this battle. If Ash wins, it'll be the first time he ever got to the finals, gotta take advantage of that moment xD
about alan vs ash if we consider that big fire shuriken of ash greninja in the preview i think this attack will bring him to defeat alan in the finals
Jul 26, 2016 1:21 PM

Jun 2014
Subs have been embarrasing lately, but besides that - The Pokemon League has been a joke. Compare this to how fun the Kanto region one was.. this just does not compare.
Jul 26, 2016 2:40 PM

Jul 2008
Kagami said:
Subs have been embarrasing lately, but besides that - The Pokemon League has been a joke. Compare this to how fun the Kanto region one was.. this just does not compare.
They are from a guy on youtube, the better one will get there eventually. Lately the process has been Raw > Few days Speed sub > few weeks later Pokemon group.

Anyway, yeah the league has been crappy in regards to what we want to see - Ash in full glory. But we havent checked the finish line just yet, these upcoming episodes will eventually decide the fate of these league. And hey it cant possible be crappier that not doing a league like in Unova. What was up with that ? Lucario who now ?
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Jul 26, 2016 2:53 PM

Jun 2014
Punkbeetle said:
Kagami said:
They are from a guy on youtube, the better one will get there eventually. Lately the process has been Raw > Few days Speed sub > few weeks later Pokemon group.

Anyway, yeah the league has been crappy in regards to what we want to see - Ash in full glory. But we havent checked the finish line just yet, these upcoming episodes will eventually decide the fate of these league. And hey it cant possible be crappier that not doing a league like in Unova. What was up with that ? Lucario who now ?

That sounds terrible! You should always have a league.. haha. Damn Unova. I just feel the league was really rushed and you can tell they rushed through the first two rounds. Maybe they want to end the show to get to Sun and Moon?
Jul 26, 2016 3:03 PM

Jul 2008
Kagami said:
Punkbeetle said:

That sounds terrible! You should always have a league.. haha. Damn Unova. I just feel the league was really rushed and you can tell they rushed through the first two rounds. Maybe they want to end the show to get to Sun and Moon?

Nah they just didnt want to bother with animating Zard X and Gekkouga sweeping through the poor opposition and wanted to focus their attention on the important storydriven fights vs the main rivals and the progression of their upcoming arc. Though they should have shown us more of the Absol trainer. That was a straight up rematch. She won 2 v 1 in the Diancie Movie from Ash (Canon issues aside). So that would've been a tense spectacular fight.

Still, in the end we will get the same amount of battle episodes and 6v6 as the other leagues. It is just that Ash got further this time around than on average. So instead of bothering with the boring Prelims and focusing on the Top32 and Top16 battles like usually they advanced the battles straight away to what we wanted to see.

The Zygarde/Flare arc will probably carry the momentum of the league anyway. So it might get compensated through that way aswell. Sounds just like the League as an arc that gets higher grade animation and the likes.
Jul 26, 2016 3:08 PM

Jun 2014
Punkbeetle said:
Kagami said:

Nah they just didnt want to bother with animating Zard X and Gekkouga sweeping through the poor opposition and wanted to focus their attention on the important storydriven fights vs the main rivals and the progression of their upcoming arc. Though they should have shown us more of the Absol trainer. That was a straight up rematch. She won 2 v 1 in the Diancie Movie from Ash (Canon issues aside). So that would've been a tense spectacular fight.

Still, in the end we will get the same amount of battle episodes and 6v6 as the other leagues. It is just that Ash got further this time around than on average. So instead of bothering with the boring Prelims and focusing on the Top32 and Top16 battles like usually they advanced the battles straight away to what we wanted to see.

The Zygarde/Flare arc will probably carry the momentum of the league anyway. So it might get compensated through that way aswell. Sounds just like the League as an arc that gets higher grade animation and the likes.

I don't agree at all. You and me can agree to disagree, but this league has been very rushed. I don't seehow anybody can deny that. Kanto is how you do a pokemon league - battles and side arcs inbetween the league.

This has been trash and this is coming from a guy who thinks XYZ has been really good.
Jul 26, 2016 3:26 PM

Jul 2008
Kagami said:
Punkbeetle said:

I don't agree at all. You and me can agree to disagree, but this league has been very rushed. I don't seehow anybody can deny that. Kanto is how you do a pokemon league - battles and side arcs inbetween the league.

This has been trash and this is coming from a guy who thinks XYZ has been really good.

Oh dont get me wrong here. Even though I do actively defend the League at this point for it hasnt finished yet - I will never say it is good nor not rushed. I just (think) I get why they have done what they are doing. And I hope that will show in the Zygarde/Flare arc.

However if we want to Nitpick here. The only battle in the Kanto league that wasnt rushed was the R4 battle on the grassfield, full on 3 v 3.
R1 was a Kingler sweep that only took 1/2 of the episode.
R2 was Nidorino vs Squirtle and in THE SAME EPISODE R3 With Cloyster and Arcanine Vs Kingler and Pikachu.
R4 see above.
And the result of your mentioned side plot - R5 - was an Episode filled with Team Rocket Shenanigans and crappy witing to create a wall for Ash - one that couldn't be overcome realistically. Sleep status counts as an instant Ko ? Never used again after that battle.

Anyway point is. Lets not compare the fwo just yet. But yeah Agree to disagree =p Damn you... Now I miss Pidgeot again dude.
Jul 26, 2016 3:57 PM

Jun 2014
@Punkbeetle

The fights still happened and while the 1st season had some errors with facts and how moves work, it gets a pass since it was an early season. Much like Yugioh season one. XY has been good, but the bad writing is starting to really show itself and you even brought this point up earlier on. Gekkouga is just so OP that the writers appear stuck. They clearly buried themselves with how OP he is because there is no logical way to think of a way he'd lose in three early fights. Though, there was a way around that. They COULD of had his other Pokemon fight as well and stop the Gekkouga show. He gets more screen time at times than Pikachu. I know he's popular, but its starting to get the writers in a hole.
Jul 26, 2016 4:21 PM

Jul 2008
Kagami said:
@Punkbeetle

The fights still happened and while the 1st season had some errors with facts and how moves work, it gets a pass since it was an early season. Much like Yugioh season one. XY has been good, but the bad writing is starting to really show itself and you even brought this point up earlier on. Gekkouga is just so OP that the writers appear stuck. They clearly buried themselves with how OP he is because there is no logical way to think of a way he'd lose in three early fights. Though, there was a way around that. They COULD of had his other Pokemon fight as well and stop the Gekkouga show. He gets more screen time at times than Pikachu. I know he's popular, but its starting to get the writers in a hole.

Yeah, I have raised that point a few times too. Zard X, Mega Sceptile(for some reason) and Gekkouga are portrayed as E4 Pokemon in a Elite trainer enviroment. Even Pikachu is lagging behind which is telling.

And sure the Battles still happened in the Kanto league but I personally want the story to create, nurture and ripen rivalries. You got 100+ episodes to create an escape route to let Ash lose the tournament, make use of it. To just insert a random trainer during the league(Ritchie & Tobias) feels whilst realistic... forced, cheap and wasteful.
The league should be a high grade animation battle fest where the raw emotions flatten the field. Screw the World cup or the Olympics, every 4 years it's league time! So yeah, we have differents view on what the perfect league contains XD

Game play =/= Anime mechanics.
I mean the game says Ground attacks cant hit Flying types. Which admittedly sounds logical. But in the anime you can do things you cant do in the games like ground a Flying Pokemon by binding its wings or whatever combo attack you can come up with.
Certains anime errors are errors even from a pokelogical standpoint while others are only ''wrong'' because people adhere too much to the game mechanics.
So yeah, Kanto got a lot wrong from a Game view but compare said errors from a ''rea'-life'' perspective and suddenly some errors do make sense.
Jul 27, 2016 2:01 PM

Mar 2014
Kagami said:
@Punkbeetle
XY has been good, but the bad writing is starting to really show itself and you even brought this point up earlier on. Gekkouga is just so OP that the writers appear stuck. They clearly buried themselves with how OP he is because there is no logical way to think of a way he'd lose in three early fights. Though, there was a way around that. They COULD of had his other Pokemon fight as well and stop the Gekkouga show. He gets more screen time at times than Pikachu. I know he's popular, but its starting to get the writers in a hole.

We don't need to waste time of how Satoshi "struggles" against other participants. This league has extraordinary trainers with very powerful Pokémon, and only the best trainers can advance through the tournament. If the trainer is weak, he either wins because of luck or he loses because the other trainer is better. Satoshi made it clear in his first battle that he really wants to win this tournament for real, and using his strongest Pokémon is something that every rational trainer would do. All of his previous opponents who defeated him in previous tournaments had stronger teams, while Satoshi was stupid enough to use Pokémon who were either weak or unevolved, with Junichi being the exception since that loss was just pure unluck. The tournament doesn't need to be longer and hyping the rivals is actually more interesting than Satoshi sweeping through the league. The fact that he got to the semi-finals in only two episodes proved that not only his team is much stronger than his previous ones, but also that this tournament will be his greatest achievement he ever had, even if he does indeed lose.

Gekkouga was made strong for obvious reasons. The 6th Generation introduced Mega Evolution, but they made the mistake of not introducing any gen 6 Megas except Diancie. Gekkouga's new form balances out the lack of Mega Evolutions. And since Satoshi never brought back an old Pokémon to his journey party when it was unnecessary and prior to the league, the writers decided to give him a full Kalos party including Pikachu rather than giving him a Mega Charizard Y or Mega Sceptile, since either of them would overshadow Gekkouga. Starters always overshadowed the rest of the team for most of the time, and Gekkouga isn't different here. He got so much screentime because a) his power was unknown and wasn't completed, b) his form is relevant to the Team Flare arc, c) it had to be tested beforehand, so it can be used in league without issues, d) to compare it with Mega Charizard X. Mega Charizard X is the boss in this league, so Gekkouga will get the spotlight, like Charizard and Infernape did. The rest of the team will get enough moments to shine when they battle the other Pokémon. Luchabull might have lost, but that's normal for a high class league battle. You cannot have a zig-zag situation where every Pokémon defeats one Pokémon each. We already know the result between Pikachu and Gillgard, and that moment is enough for Pikachu in this match. And it's not like the other Pokémon never had spotlight prior to the league.
MajinAkumaJul 28, 2016 1:02 AM
Jul 27, 2016 11:12 PM

May 2009
Everything has already been explained why the early league battles have been skipped. Satoshi just outclasses almost all of Kalos. His only obstacles in the league are Shota and Alain,so obviously the attention went to these two battles.
Jul 27, 2016 11:38 PM
Jun 2011
Punkbeetle said:
Kagami said:
@Punkbeetle

Yeah, I have raised that point a few times too. Zard X, Mega Sceptile(for some reason) and Gekkouga are portrayed as E4 Pokemon in a Elite trainer enviroment. Even Pikachu is lagging behind which is telling.

And sure the Battles still happened in the Kanto league but I personally want the story to create, nurture and ripen rivalries. You got 100+ episodes to create an escape route to let Ash lose the tournament, make use of it. To just insert a random trainer during the league(Ritchie & Tobias) feels whilst realistic... forced, cheap and wasteful.
The league should be a high grade animation battle fest where the raw emotions flatten the field. Screw the World cup or the Olympics, every 4 years it's league time! So yeah, we have differents view on what the perfect league contains XD

Game play =/= Anime mechanics.
I mean the game says Ground attacks cant hit Flying types. Which admittedly sounds logical. But in the anime you can do things you cant do in the games like ground a Flying Pokemon by binding its wings or whatever combo attack you can come up with.
Certains anime errors are errors even from a pokelogical standpoint while others are only ''wrong'' because people adhere too much to the game mechanics.
So yeah, Kanto got a lot wrong from a Game view but compare said errors from a ''rea'-life'' perspective and suddenly some errors do make sense.
about tobias. if you mean this league we dont have tobias type of character and no alan dont feel like him at all. also the reason i think ash will win is not because of that episode title. it because of that greninja big fire shuriken which can take out many of alan pokemons
Jul 28, 2016 11:14 AM

Jul 2008
@elior1 Well previews like to show things that looks epic but eventually fizzles out. We all thought Ash would rock Vs Astrid a few eps backs. Turned out the preview showed prety much the entirety of the match...

Preview pics are nice but almost worthless without context. Anyway, i'm saying/guessing that the league gets interrupted by Flare. Following that Ash fight Alain as a Flare member, beats him thus unofficially becoming League champion and Heelface turning Alain in the process.

That way Ash does kinda win without actually giving him ''League Champion'' baggage to carry throughout his next campaign. Though... we still have a few months untill Sun/Moon so who knows what they will fill those slots in with o-o'' Sounds a bit too small for a totally new arc or a successful E4 Arc and 7th gen set up needs at leat 2 eps max, so yeah, speculations and Wild guessing theories abound!
PunkbeetleJul 28, 2016 11:31 AM
Aug 2, 2016 8:21 PM
Dec 2009
Punkbeetle said:
Anyway, i'm saying/guessing that the league gets interrupted by Flare. Following that Ash fight Alain as a Flare member, beats him thus unofficially becoming League champion and Heelface turning Alain in the process.

That way Ash does kinda win without actually giving him ''League Champion'' baggage to carry throughout his next campaign. Though... we still have a few months untill Sun/Moon so who knows what they will fill those slots in with o-o'' Sounds a bit too small for a totally new arc or a successful E4 Arc and 7th gen set up needs at leat 2 eps max, so yeah, speculations and Wild guessing theories abound!

Interesting theory. That would be a good way for them to keep Ash as the main character in the next show... seems like it would be more exciting then him just winning and becoming the champion too. :)

I wonder if they're going to start Sun/Moon a couple weeks early though to hype for the game release though. If so there's not that many weeks left, especially if they have a week or two off in between the series...
Aug 8, 2016 8:00 PM

Nov 2009
wait... was Rhyperior wiped by a non-mega Charizard who's 4x weak to rocks?...

Must have been level 100 vs level 50 there, LOL

(unless that Rhyperior really REALLY sucks...)

PS: Magiana/ Volcanion trailer looked interesting. (apparently Zygarde makes an appearance in it too)
amlgAug 8, 2016 8:05 PM
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Aug 9, 2016 12:52 AM

Mar 2016
I was rather disappointed by the battle between slacking and hawlucha especially after that entrance but other than that the next part is set up to be a great episode. Looking forward to a rematch between greninja and sceptile especially.

On another note I feel like people think Ash winning means that he is no longer viable as a main character which makes no sense, I personally think he's actually going to win this one but that won't mean the end of the show or Ash's run as the main that's just hogwash
Aug 9, 2016 9:07 AM

Jul 2008
amlg said:
wait... was Rhyperior wiped by a non-mega Charizard who's 4x weak to rocks?...

Must have been level 100 vs level 50 there, LOL

(unless that Rhyperior really REALLY sucks...)

PS: Magiana/ Volcanion trailer looked interesting. (apparently Zygarde makes an appearance in it too)

You are forgetting one thing. Unlike the games Charizard doesnt have to sit tight and tank Attacks like Rock Wrecker. Anime Zards are usually depicted as quite nimble and flightworthy. Rhyperiors though... not so much.
Aug 9, 2016 2:59 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Well I was hoping to see Alain vs Remo but we get the last bits of the battle. Pretty disappointed with the league thus far.

Shota's Slaking, man what a tanky beast. Took so many Karate Chops and yet it was unfazed. But one Counter takes out Hawlucha. I would have preferred Slaking taking out Hawlucha and Talonflame. Showcase the sheer power of Slaking before Slaking being taken out by one of Ash's Pokemon that isn't Pikachu.

Clawitzer vs Pikachu was very good. I liked the dodging from Clawitzer and almost upsetting Pikachu with that W.Pulse.

Oct 8, 2016 7:20 PM
Mar 2015
The Ash v Sawyer battle is really going down fast. I wonder how it's gonna end.

Nov 19, 2016 10:14 PM

Dec 2012
Movie OP.

Alan beats Louis again and he's heading to the finals. Wow. The finals already. This war is moving fast.

Ah, so Citron finally noticed Alan is OP as fock. lol

Finally, the battle between Satoshi and Shota is here.

No way in hell Satoshi threw Luchabull's monster ball that far up for Luchabull to get up there.

So during that Luchabull scene, the audience looks at it and there's a woman and a little girl behind that woman. They look alike. Like mother and daughter or Child and Adult versions of each other. lol

Eureka thinks Kekking is cute? Alright, Eureka.

Luchabull did all that and got the L. smh At least we got the Luchabull theme out of it.

lol Scumbag Fiarrow taking another L. That's for your past sins.

Good battle between Pikachu and Bloster. Got a few Jewmanbolto's this episode and the final one was great.

Who will win this battle? Find out on the next action packed battle of Pocket Monsters XY & Z!
RobNov 19, 2016 10:26 PM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 24, 2016 2:53 AM

Nov 2014
That's intense.. On to the next episode..
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Nov 30, 2016 1:42 PM

Jul 2013
I thought they said the field would change after three of one persons Pokemon defeated, yet didn't they both lose 4 and it didn't change - that's what they said would happen in the dub at least. Sawyer changed it but they meant they would.

Alain battle bit was really awesome, I really wish they had devoted a whole episode to his and a whole one to Ash's instead of the way they did it.

Why does Bonnie think Slaking (minus the c) is cute? he's like a giant lazy bum lol.

I liked Hawlucha's Mexican wrestler cape and mask that Serena made it, the way it went with the material and basically asked her to make it, bless. It did him no good though as he lost in one attack, brutal.

There was some awesome attacks and Pokemon fights to see.

Pikachu was really good fighting! so cute :3

I can't wait to see how it ends even though I already know who wins lol.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 9 Discussion

Norjack2 - Dec 24, 2015

12 by PrOxAnto »»
Apr 14, 10:48 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 7 Discussion

Norjack2 - Dec 10, 2015

14 by PrOxAnto »»
Apr 14, 8:30 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 5 Discussion

-Koga- - Nov 27, 2015

9 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 25, 9:07 AM

» Can I watch this as a standalone?

Nemersis - Jan 22

34 by Nemersis »»
Mar 7, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 3 Discussion

StarryWindy - Nov 12, 2015

16 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 6, 6:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.