Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 20, 2016 7:42 PM

Feb 2013
-Oda used to say that all he needed was coffee and cola 4 years ago. But now Oda pays attention to his health. He makes it a rule to drink water 2 liters a day. He thinks he can stay healthy if only he drinks much water. He sometimes exercise on fitness equipments in his studio.

-Oda usually sleeps for 3 hours a day. Oda doesn't want to spend much time on sleep since he is busy. He can sleep as much as he wants only after the day he finishes drawing every week. But he can't sleep much recently due to aging.

-The interviewer asks Oda if he has some health issues now that he is in his 40s. Oda answers that his health is not good, but he can come up with an interesting manga thanks to his short sleep and final push in his works. Oda thinks it would be great if he can draw a good manga with 8-hours-sleep.

-Shueisha allows him to take more breaks these days. Oda wonders if this is because they are worried that ONE PIECE might come to an end due to his health problem. Oda got hospitalized after he works in Film Z. He thought the staffs finally noticed that if he worked too hard he would be down, but after all he got involved in ONE PIECE Film again...

-There are too many things Oda wants to draw, so he merges the themes of islands. For example, Punk Hazard is originally consisted of fire island and ice island. Dressrosa is originally consisted of dwarves island and passion island. But as opposed to his expectations, it took him twice the time than usual to draw these arcs.

-According to Oda, ONE PIECE is about 65% done. Oda says it is a fight between his lifetime and the ending of ONE PIECE. He says he needs to have the courage to reduce his ideas.

-After finishing ONE PIECE, Oda wants to go on trips like Buratamori. (Buratamori is a popular TV show in Japan. In the show, an old man named Tamori, who was too busy to go on a trip for 30 years, visits various kinds of regions in Japan and introduces interesting information about it.)

-Interviewer asks Oda if he intends to draw manga again once a month after finishing ONE PIECE, but Oda instantly denies.

-Oda "I am happiest if kids enjoy reading my manga. But since my audience are getting older, it would be great if they read ONE PIECE with their kids."

-Oda "ONE PIECE is focusing on Sanji now. Be sure to look forward to the future story!"

-Oda "When Kaidou appeared for the first time, I said that Luffy can't defeat such a strong character yet. And I'm yet to know how Luffy would defeat Kaidou. Probably my audience will not be satisfied if the reason for defeating Kaidou is just because Luffy's punch is so strong. Luffy and I have to find a solution somehow."

-Oda "ONE PIECE will be much more interesting in the future since I'm carefully selecting ideas these days. Some people are seriously worried about my health, but don't be worried too much since I am quite tough."

-Oda is a fan of Ikumi Hisamatsu

-Oda sometimes plays turntables for DJing in his studio.

-Oda collects model figures made by Ashley Wood.

-Oda has 100 inch TV. It was too large to fit through the entrance, so some construction work was needed on the door.

Jul 20, 2016 9:16 PM

Jan 2015
Arcofdream said:

damn u oda :v so the one from gomenne seishun lol
hisamatsu ikumi

la critique de l'intention pure
Jul 27, 2016 8:03 PM

Sep 2012
That was an interesting interview. I give the guy alot more credit if his health is bad. I have trouble creating art if I consistently feel crummy.
Jul 27, 2016 8:35 PM

Feb 2011
Arcofdream said:

-There are too many things Oda wants to draw, so he merges the themes of islands. For example, Punk Hazard is originally consisted of fire island and ice island. Dressrosa is originally consisted of dwarves island and passion island. But as opposed to his expectations, it took him twice the time than usual to draw these arcs.

-According to Oda, ONE PIECE is about 65% done. Oda says it is a fight between his lifetime and the ending of ONE PIECE. He says he needs to have the courage to reduce his ideas.

Finally, fucking written proof to the fanboys that Oda's pacing is indeed shitty and that he isn't good at controlling what he does. (this is someone who reads OP every week the day it comes out) People need to accept that Oda isn't good at pacing his story :/

But IDK if the rabid fanboys will realize. I just wish Oda would stop with the shitty sob stories like Rebecca and the dwarves. They are rehashed to death with different races every arc, and they aren't interesting compared to other aspects he could focus on.
Jul 28, 2016 12:42 AM

Apr 2014
@Dragon ^ Well, his pacing is horrendous and I think most of the fans already accept that fact.
But some good thing about his pacing is, it is bad but not only just because it's slow, it's just inconsistent.
In some part it was so slow, but on some part it feels like he is trying to rush it. Those kind of inconsistency is his pacing problem. I'm fine with a pretty fast paced chapter since Toei will handle the padding but when an already slow chapter is adapted into an even more slow episode in the anime, irs become really unbearable.
Dressrosa is prime example of it, he took a lot of chapter showing Rebecca crying face, King Riku random speech, Dressrosa citizen running around and stuff and yet only use 1 chapter for most of the fight.
tr1ckst3rJul 28, 2016 12:46 AM
Jul 28, 2016 7:37 AM

Feb 2011
tr1ckst3r said:
@Dragon ^ Well, his pacing is horrendous and I think most of the fans already accept that fact.
But some good thing about his pacing is, it is bad but not only just because it's slow, it's just inconsistent.
In some part it was so slow, but on some part it feels like he is trying to rush it. Those kind of inconsistency is his pacing problem. I'm fine with a pretty fast paced chapter since Toei will handle the padding but when an already slow chapter is adapted into an even more slow episode in the anime, irs become really unbearable.
Dressrosa is prime example of it, he took a lot of chapter showing Rebecca crying face, King Riku random speech, Dressrosa citizen running around and stuff and yet only use 1 chapter for most of the fight.

I've been on many forums, Mal/r/anime, narutofan, etc and there are many fans who still think his pacing is good.

I've since stopped bothering to convince them.
Jul 28, 2016 7:59 AM

Jan 2015
Dragon said:
tr1ckst3r said:

I've been on many forums, Mal/r/anime, narutofan, etc and there are many fans who still think his pacing is good.

I've since stopped bothering to convince them.
lol, u don't need to convince them at all and that pacing is bad but intended that way, somehow

la critique de l'intention pure
Jul 28, 2016 10:20 AM

May 2015
tr1ckst3r said:

Actually it's the opposite, he used 10 chapters for the battle and one chapter for Riku's speech. The rest of the events didn't take nearly as long. Still quite a drag, though.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jul 28, 2016 10:22 AM

Jul 2016
Coffee, cola, smoke, sleep deprivation. This guy really took his health for granted.

Such a shame he won't write another after One Piece. Well, after this one finished, he would be quite old and totally deserved a peaceful retirement.

katiak_Ula said:
Arcofdream said:

damn u oda :v so the one from gomenne seishun lol
hisamatsu ikumi

He got good taste, I must say.
Jul 28, 2016 10:32 AM

Apr 2014
ashfrliebert said:
tr1ckst3r said:

Actually it's the opposite, he used 10 chapters for the battle and one chapter for Riku's speech.
A random exchange with no context for 10 chapter and the conclusion in 1 chapter to be precise. That's bad

If you read Enies Lobby fight, you'll know that he can do better when it comes to pace in fighting.
The only fight that have those kind of random exchange is Luffy and Lucci fight while the other have a 2 or 3 chapter focused on their fight and makes the fight meaningful.

Drrssrosa on the other hand, Zoro exchange random attack with Pica for more than 10 chapter and the conclusion end in like what? One or two move? And not to mention Zoro still need to stop the birdcage.
If he already had a plan for him to stop the birdcage, then why not let Zoro finish his fight first, the same way Franky finish his fight first because he still need to rescue Robin?
Those kind of inconsistency is what makes Oda pacing bad.
And there you got Sabo vs Fujitora off screen and Sabo win the Mera mera no mi in 5 or 7 page.

Oda pacing, when it fast, it's rushed, when it's slow, it's as slow as snail. And it's gotten really worse at Dressrosa, I hope he can fix it somehow, it's not as bad as this before TS.
Jul 28, 2016 8:03 PM

May 2015
tr1ckst3r said:
A random exchange with no context for 10 chapter and the conclusion in 1 chapter to be precise.

Luffy vs Dolfamingo has context, that's the rest of the thirty something chapters of buildup was for. And really it's the only exception in the whole arc.

Drrssrosa on the other hand, Zoro exchange random attack with Pica for more than 10 chapter and the conclusion end in like what? One or two move? And not to mention Zoro still need to stop the birdcage.

The fight "took" 30+ chapters. but there was several events in between the start and finish of Zoro's fight. They didn't focus on it for 30+ chapters. More like five in between other smushed events.

If he already had a plan for him to stop the birdcage, then why not let Zoro finish his fight first, the same way Franky finish his fight first because he still need to rescue Robin?

He did let him finish his fight, it was over by the time he had a plan to stop the birdcage. It was way over by that point.
Jul 28, 2016 8:27 PM

Apr 2014
ashfrliebert said:
tr1ckst3r said:
A random exchange with no context for 10 chapter and the conclusion in 1 chapter to be precise.

Luffy vs Dolfamingo has context, that's the rest of the thirty something chapters of buildup was for. And really it's the only exception in the whole arc.
Of course it is, if he were to pull those random exchange with no context bulshit in the fight against Mingo then Dressrosa would lose one of it's saving grace.

The fight "took" 30+ chapters. but there was several events in between the start and finish of Zoro's fight. They didn't focus on it for 30+ chapters. More like five in between other smushed events.

And that's exactly what I mean by random exchange with no context.
The non continues narration of the fight makes it less interesting and less meaningful.
Zoro overwhelm Pica from the get go, heck it's hardly called a fight since Zoro looks like just playing around with the guy and yet oda let them keep going for many chapter and to make it worse save them for the last.
He did stop the birdcage after he defeat Pica and waste another 2 chapter showing Zoro doing so.
That's why i said Oda should use the Birdcage closing card at the beginning of the executive fight and let Zoro finish his fight first and start trying to stop the birdcage and and then focusing on another executive one after another and show them helping Zoro pushing the birdcage right after the fight conclude, that way he can conclude the fight properly and doesn't need to use 2 chapter of people pushing the birdcage, because Zoro already pushing it from the beginning.
But technically this is just my personal opinion on how to improve the pacing.
I think the few exchange in between event is what makes the second half of Dressrosa felt really slow.
Focusing on one fight at a time and made the one who already finish their fight do something else like he did on Enies Lobby and Alabasta is better all around rather than the way Dressrosa fight goes.
Aug 2, 2016 10:19 AM

Sep 2013
If they are giving all those breaks they should force him to sleep too, put it in his contract "atleast 3 times 8 hours sleep during a break".
Aug 3, 2016 12:13 PM

May 2015
tr1ckst3r said:

The non continues narration of the fight makes it less interesting and less meaningful.
Zoro overwhelm Pica from the get go, heck it's hardly called a fight since Zoro looks like just playing around with the guy and yet oda let them keep going for many chapter and to make it worse save them for the last.

Zoro vs Pica takes about 5 chapters in between another event going on in the same chapter every single one of those. Spread out between more than 30 chapters, but it's five in total.

The events are spread out, but they have to happen *eventually*, the only difference is that instead of it being spread out between 30+ chapters it's going to take 5 chapters in a row.

No other arc in the series has marginally the same amount of events going on at once that Dressrosa does(Skypeia has a ton of characters, however), all the other arcs really have to do is not be 100 chapters until the last. And if it's been done for twenty years, it can be done for 13 more, I'm sure.
Aug 3, 2016 1:50 PM

Feb 2015
How does one live with only 3 hours of sleep a day? That's insane, lol.
Aug 3, 2016 6:42 PM

Jul 2016
Thanks for sharing. I wonder where do you get that information?

Aug 4, 2016 3:05 AM

Apr 2014
ashfrliebert said:
tr1ckst3r said:

Zoro vs Pica takes about 5 chapters in between another event going on in the same chapter every single one of those. Spread out between more than 30 chapters, but it's five in total.
It takes 5 chapter worth of panel exactly because it's spread out to 30 chapter.
If Oda were to focused on Zoro fight. It would hardly take more than 3 chapter to conclude the fight for the reason I've stated above, Zoro practically overwhelm Pica from the get go.
Aug 11, 2016 12:26 PM

Jun 2012
Dragon said:
Arcofdream said:

Finally, fucking written proof to the fanboys that Oda's pacing is indeed shitty and that he isn't good at controlling what he does. (this is someone who reads OP every week the day it comes out) People need to accept that Oda isn't good at pacing his story :/

But IDK if the rabid fanboys will realize. I just wish Oda would stop with the shitty sob stories like Rebecca and the dwarves. They are rehashed to death with different races every arc, and they aren't interesting compared to other aspects he could focus on.
Bad in what way? Because he's combining his ideas? I've never once heard anyone complain that his pacing was too fast... ever. So what are you claiming here? I've literally only ever heard people say his pacing was too slow.

All he said here is that he's thinking that he should start cutting corners so that he can still have time for himself when he's done. Not even sure what you're trying to prove lol... since pacing is entirely irrelevant to what he even said here.
Aug 11, 2016 12:41 PM

Mar 2009
It must be kind of painful for him to know that he can't use his ideas as he wants because of his age, I mean he can't do One Piece forever. So he is merging them and it's not the best thing always but I understand him. I mean he loves his work, and the struggle which awesome idea he can use and which one not must be really horrible. I know he abandoned some ideas even at the start but it's more pushing and stressful now.
He is 40 and he has so little sleep, they really should treat him better, like rope him to a bed and ordinate him some more sleeping XD
I love One Piece and I wish it to continue another bunch of years but Oda needs more rest!
Aug 11, 2016 7:51 PM

May 2016
HalibelTheEspada said:
Dragon said:

Bad in what way? Because he's combining his ideas? I've never once heard anyone complain that his pacing was too fast... ever.

Well, I never heard that it's generally too fast either, but that it's practically all over the place, or something like that. lol
Aug 15, 2016 1:27 PM

Jan 2012
Interesting interview. Oda gets major respect from me for working through all the healthy problems he has. Only getting 3 hours of sleep and being hospitalized! Dude is a beast, he truly cares a lot about his fans and his work.

As far as the combining ideas for certain arcs, I think from now on he should just focus on his major/best ideas. As much as I love more, I don't want the quality to drop. Personally I liked Punk Hazard and Dressora, but I know there are people who didn't like the pacing. I thought they were good but now that we are entering the Yonko arc/saga I say he should just focus on his best ideas.

Also, I know he said Sanji is going to be getting a lot of focus which is great, I also hope Brook gets a few big parts as well since he is one of my favorite Straw Hats.

Dragon said:

I don't think the pacing is as much of a problem in the manga as it is the anime honestly. That isn't to say the the manga doesn't have pacing problems at times, but the anime is what really has a pacing problem due to not trying to catch up to the manga.

Although the pacing for the manga is a bit slow, and sometimes inconsistent because it picks up speed, I honestly don't mind it much at all. The slower pacing, I feel like, allows for more time to connect with the character and world, rather than a faster pacing which sees the Straw Hats interacting less in each island and leaving quicker. The slower pacing also helps with focussing on more details per island since they will be spending a longer amount of time on each island. With that being said, I can see why some people wouldn't like it, but I sure do.

And the sob stories are amazing! XD Nah but in all seriousness, Oda does have a way with making the sob stories extremely relevant to the story in some way, in seamless fashion. I'd like him to keep them, although if there was one thing I wouldn't mind him shorting for sure it would be the sob stories, but I do want them to be kept.
Aug 15, 2016 8:40 PM

Nov 2014
cool information

Aug 19, 2016 12:12 PM

Jun 2012
Dragon said:
HalibelTheEspada said:
Bad in what way? Because he's combining his ideas? I've never once heard anyone complain that his pacing was too fast... ever. So what are you claiming here? I've literally only ever heard people say his pacing was too slow.

All he said here is that he's thinking that he should start cutting corners so that he can still have time for himself when he's done. Not even sure what you're trying to prove lol... since pacing is entirely irrelevant to what he even said here.

Look, a rabid fanboy appears!

Why dont you point me to where i said hs pacing is too fast? You cant because his pacing is all over the place and too slow, ex in dressrosa
I'm not talking about what you said specifically lol. You're claiming this interview says that his pacing is "shitty". The only possible way to interpret that from this interview would be it being too fast... because that's what happens when you cut corners and "combine ideas".

Even though that would still be a misinterpretation, since when he said combining ideas he was just talking about themes. Nonetheless, that's the only possible way to interpret "shitty" pacing from what he said. Not to mention what he said here is talking about the future of One Piece, not what's going on now.

Being all over the place and slow are two different things... it can't be both. Nonetheless, there is nothing different now than it's always been as far as there being a lot to handle. It's clear that you're referring to the Dressrosa arc, since many people seem to have had a problem handling all the information in that arc for some reason... when all the past arcs had just as many side-characters.

If that is what you're talking about then that has nothing to do with pacing. And if that isn't what you're talking about, then please... do give an example of erratic pacing. Because I don't see where the pacing has dramatically shifted recently. Most every arc has a pretty set pacing of Character Discussion > Exploring the Island > Introduction to Conflict > Attempting a Plan > Action > Tying Loose Ends > Repeat.

If this is rabid fanboyism then that's a pretty interesting point of view you've got there. Personally, I'm just trying to have a reasonable discussion, what you think isn't really important to me... just why you think it. I just enjoy good debate. The way you wanna choose to act makes little difference to me if you're simply trying to taunt me.
HalibelTheEspadaAug 19, 2016 12:17 PM
Aug 21, 2016 2:45 AM

Jun 2011
HalibelTheEspada said:
Dragon said:

This is exactly what I wanted to tell that Dragon user, he misinterpreted Oda's reply so much I don't even know where to start from. It was Oda saying that it took a lot of time in real life to complete the arc, not that the actual story pacing was bad. You can have a 500 chapters arc, and still have good pacing, or you can have a 20 chapters arc, and still feel dragged out or moving too fast. It is totally irrelevant to the actual pacing of the story.

I feel like many people don't actually know what a story pace is, and just judge it by the real time it took to finish a story. "Oh look, One Piece lasted for 30 years, damn, pacing must have sucked. It's just a pirate crew going for the crown, how can it possibly take that long to get there."

I also couldn't really sympathize with people who are so quick to call people as "rabid fanboys" just because the "rabid fanboys" are explaining to him why he was wrong. He is exactly as bad as the "rabid fanboys" he claims to hate, except on the opposite end. I do somewhat understand though, hard to accept that you're wrong, especially when you're still young. It changes your whole perspective about yourself, and about people around you.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 2, 2016 4:04 PM

Jun 2015
Arcofdream said:

I agree, the most interesting aspect about One Piece is wether or not it finishes before Oda dies.

Arcofdream said:

-Oda "When Kaidou appeared for the first time, I said that Luffy can't defeat such a strong character yet. And I'm yet to know how Luffy would defeat Kaidou. Probably my audience will not be satisfied if the reason for defeating Kaidou is just because Luffy's punch is so strong. Luffy and I have to find a solution somehow."

Thank god he realized it himself.

More topics from this board

Poll: » You Favourite One Piece Opening?!

UnstableBrat - 8 hours ago

11 by UnstableBrat »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 771 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Barion-Zara - Dec 18, 2014

92 by KoniginElle »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1114 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - May 1

2 by Early_Morning »»
Yesterday, 1:31 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1113 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Apr 23

55 by steeltec »»
May 1, 11:17 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1110 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Mar 12

64 by cry4heals »»
May 1, 5:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.