Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (28) « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 18 » ... Last »
Jan 21, 2017 6:58 PM
Jan 2016
It's been a few months since I've seen it.. what black screen are people talking about when they say the movie should have ended?

Spoiler if you haven't seen the movie yet obviously:
Jan 24, 2017 8:33 AM
Mar 2013
Barrys said:
invert_brid said:
Kinda overrated much. well still a gud movie 8/10 (was 7 but superb art bumped it to 8). Warm beginning and funny moment of switching bodies, then kinda fail to make any sense at the beginning of 2nd half. The rest of story not bad (though many2 plot holes), climax is quite ok, ending kinda lacking impact for me. Dunno why it can be #1 top grossing anime moive and ranked 1 on MAL, but well gud for Shinkai. Overall i still think many ghibli movies are better than this.

I still can't understand what's the big deal with ghibli movies; i'm not catched in any way by the topics they deal with, so i find them boring as hell.

This ^. I have also never felt inmersed in any of ghibli movies (I have watched most of them). They are good indeed but nothing extraordinary, most of my favourite anime movies are from other sources.
Jan 24, 2017 9:00 AM

Apr 2016
Lol, the discussion forum for the best animu ever that you will make you cry to death.
Jan 25, 2017 11:21 AM

Mar 2016
invert_brid said:
Kinda overrated much. well still a gud movie 8/10 (was 7 but superb art bumped it to 8). Warm beginning and funny moment of switching bodies, then kinda fail to make any sense at the beginning of 2nd half. The rest of story not bad (though many2 plot holes), climax is quite ok, ending kinda lacking impact for me. Dunno why it can be #1 top grossing anime moive and ranked 1 on MAL, but well gud for Shinkai. Overall i still think many ghibli movies are better than this.

Give that man a medal. I think the hype is too much for this anime. I've seen better love stories and more emotional animes, and calling this "best anime" is mostly fanboyism. Still 8/10
Jan 25, 2017 9:05 PM

Jan 2014
Wow! This is a very refreshing take on the supernatural genre.

The story didn't really grab my attention at first but as the movie went on I started to like it. I will rewatch this later to understand it better because I felt there are important points that I missed or misunderstand.

The art is nice and not generic. The animation, however, is top notch, I haven't seen stunning and fluid movements in a while so I was surprised.

The soundtrack is fitting for the movie. It wasn't distracting and I personally like them although not enough to be a part of my favorites.

9/10 For now I really enjoyed the show. I didn't skip a second watching this and will rewatch in the future to understand it better.
Recommend me an anime
Jan 27, 2017 3:46 AM

Aug 2014
Watched the other day in the cinema.
I was really worried about it (I'm always worried when I watch a Shinkai's movie), and it almost went full 5cm per second at the end, but it didn't.
And I'm really glad it didn't.
For now I think this is my favourite Shinkai's movie, it had some problem about explanations and plot holes, but it made me forget about questioning it until it was over: instead it kept me interested in the characters and in what they were doing, and since they were the focus I think that's important to judge it.
There were a lot of good moments and some really great moments, the scene when they're looking for each other and the background keeps changing from one to two lakes was amazing and probably one of my favourites.

I don't want to talk too much about it so I'll end it here, but I feel like some people missed important parts of the movie. It probably is because it's still not in theaters world-wide (for example, I think in the US is planned for this April?), so there may be some low quality versions with inaccurate subtitles or something?
I don't know, and I'm not saying that against anyone, it'ìs just that I read this whole thread and I saw some frequently asked questions about moments/motivations/explanations that I found clearly stated in the movie when I watched it.
Jan 27, 2017 10:57 AM

Jul 2009
One of the best movies I have seen in the last years! It is so beautiful, I love how they start to like each other while changing bodies and how they do everything to help each other...and more important, I am glad it have a good end!
10/10
Jan 28, 2017 12:52 PM
Jul 2018
Pretty sad for me after I watch because of quality I watch.Now I get why people recommend BD version.

I am feeling that we might able to get a TV version with 12 episode.

Yeah this movie made in a such way, that you gotta watch two times to understand, and luckily there are people who can understand by their first watch.
Jan 28, 2017 5:16 PM
Jan 2017
I watched it three times already and I'm going to watch it again when a HD version comes out, it's that good ;A;
Seriously, no other anime or movie in general has ever touched me like this. I literally teared up at some parts (which is very rare for me) and my heart was throbbing like crazy during the ending scene.

Although the main characters didn't get a lot of background (of course, there wasn't much time for that), I somehow liked them both so. freaking. much.
I guess it's precisely because they were just like two normal people with simple hopes and dreams that I could relate to them that deeply. And their relationship is so pure and magical and the chemistry between them... aww I can't.
The themes of the movie are everything I could've wished for. The plot twist in the middle took me completely by surprise. Fascinating.

I could go on like this forever, but I'll spare you more fangirling. Just... if you really haven't done so already, WATCH IT NOW.
It's even worth it with the shitty quality we have right now.

Also, I don't think the movie is overrated. If someone didn't feel anything while watching, they must have a heart made of stone.
In my opinion, that's the key reason for the movie's success: It gets you. Right down to the very core. ;A; I smiled, laughed, gasped, cried, worried, hoped - you name it. It's a rollercoaster ride of emotions.
And I haven't even mentioned the music yet. These songs immediately got stuck in my head.

So anyways... just watch it haha. :')
Jan 29, 2017 11:29 AM
Jan 2017
Its the first time that i dont regret for watching a Makoto Shinkai movie. This guy almoast gave me a heartattack by creating an end which was 5cm per secound so damn similar. I am so happy that it didnt end so sadly. But there is still something in my heart, what screams after a contunation of this story...

So if Makoto made an anime series which only contains slice of life as a sequel of this movie i'd buy this shit even it tells a medicore story of their daily-lives. Because i really want to see them togheter. I swear i will buy everything, which would continue the story of kimi no na wa. It doesnt matter if its an anime or a part 2 movie or even an OVA.

So i would like to thank to Makoto Shinkai for creating this masterpeace and im looking forward to his next projects.

Tank you Makoto sir! I salute you!!!
Jan 30, 2017 8:39 PM

Jan 2016
oh my lord. saw this on the plane to tokyo(OH YEAH im in tokyo too the 23 April :3 Wish me lucky xD) And what can i say .. it was incredible for sure and really the best movie i seen and diffidently the best movie by this director!! and this was an emotion train. the lady i sat next to me asked me what is wrong i was in tears.. (damn a 20 year old muscle man or what ever sits and cry over a movie Anime!!) ;-; it was beautiful beyond words!
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
Jan 31, 2017 4:25 AM
Jan 2017
I was dumbfounded by this anime. I have watched it third times and it still makes me want to watch more. I'm quite a noobs in anime, so I don't know much which is good and which anime has bad sense of enjoyment. And now, I realize that my biggest mistake was to discover this anime first, I'm afraid I wouldn't find an anime better than this one.
Everything is excellent from the start, it was funny and cheesy at the first 30 minutes, and then starting from it you'll be astonished in the middle part, and the last part was the saddest, tearjerker, angriest moment. As for the ending itself, I wouldn't dare to spoil it but I was so stupefied by it.
The soundtracks by RADWIMPS were also very beautiful and they're really representing the whole anime. Overall, if you watch this only once it wouldn't be enough for you.
Feb 2, 2017 1:07 PM

Jun 2015
And finally a better version of the movie was released and I watched it!
Waited for so long time and after watching the movie I would say it was worth it!

EVERYTHING in the movie is just so brilliant! The story itself is mindblowing, completely original. The music was awesome! Each and every scene was made with so much care.

Taki and Mitsuha!! I am so glad they actually talked in the end!
Feb 2, 2017 1:34 PM
Jan 2016
OMG that ending I was so scared they would just walk past each other and that would be it!!!
Feb 2, 2017 3:05 PM

May 2012
I really enjoyed this movie. I didn't get that invested in the two main characters during the first half of the movie. At first it was just some cute and funny slice-of-life stuff. But once we hit the home stretch towards the climax, I was really rooting for them to meet up with each other. Near the end I was afraid it was going to end up like 5 Centimeters Per Second, but I'm glad Taki and Mitsuha were able to finally reunite after so many years. Really heartwarming stuff that hits you right in the feels. Great movie overall, and I highly recommend it! :)

9/10
"No matter how much of a genius one is, in front of the Uchiha name, they're just ordinary people." - Sasuke Uchiha

Feb 2, 2017 8:33 PM

Oct 2014
This movie was fucking amazing, the writing, the art, the sound, I WISH I COULD FORGET AND WATCH IT A HUNDRED TIMES.
Feb 2, 2017 10:22 PM
Oct 2014
Went in with 0 expectations and was pleasantly surprised, 10/10 enjoyment value didnt bother trying to be critical about the movie
Feb 3, 2017 8:02 AM
Oct 2015
I went in very skeptical. I have always liked Shinkai's films but I never thought they were THAT good. Certainly not enough to top Spirited Away's sales. I figured people who either didn't like his past stuff finally woke up and realized he is a decent director, and then once all the good reviews happened it started to grow in popularity because everyone wanted to see what the big deal was. I finally watched it today and it was fucking great. Its his best movie yet [and I don't think he will top it] and I haven't had so many emotions watching an anime in quite some time. Well done Shinkai, you knocked the ball so far out of the park that it looks like a shooting comet.
Feb 3, 2017 8:25 AM

Mar 2015
I didn't think it'd love up to my expectations...but holy shit by the end of it I was screaming at the screen. Haven't felt this many emotions for an anime ever since I watched white Album 2...what an incredible film
Feb 3, 2017 9:03 AM

Nov 2012
Is there a 1080p subbed version yet? I heard the Dvd was released.
Feb 3, 2017 4:24 PM

Mar 2015
Well, after a lot of time(and hype) i finally saw it.

It was, without any doubts, a great movie, and it was exactly what i was expecting, the two mains are great and funny, with good personality, the story is good and every emotional scene was a punch in my kokoro.

And even knowing the ending was supposed to be happy, i doubted about it every second near the end.

I was gonna give it a 10/10, but my hand slipped in the 9, i will(probably) watch it again near the end for the year to(probably) give it a 10.
Feb 4, 2017 12:27 AM
Mar 2016
This movie was totally worth watching! The animation, graphics, plot and it was purely brilliant. I cried, yes I did! I'm so glad the ending was Taki saying "I think we have met before" to Mitsuha, they cried. It was lovely! I would definitely grope boobs if I happen to experience the same thing as taki did *just kidding hehe*! The movie was so amazing, the scenes were so fresh, beautiful and full of pleasures! Kimi no wa? :')
Feb 4, 2017 2:52 PM

Apr 2013
Good movie, not deserving of #1 spot tho.. Spirited Away is a thousand times better than Kimi no na wa.
Feb 4, 2017 6:15 PM
Sep 2011
Oh my fucking god i regret not watching this on cinema

1000/10
Feb 5, 2017 3:40 AM

Jan 2011
johnyjohny said:

ANN says October for a UK release date so I'd assume something close to that for NA. Funi is doing a cinema release for NA in April.

So it's going to be a long wait for a BD.

I've personally don't ever recall a gap between theater and home video this long. But, this stayed in theaters (and may still be over there) for a very extended period of time which delayed everything.
IZEROIIFeb 5, 2017 3:44 AM
Feb 5, 2017 3:43 AM

Nov 2012
IZEROII said:
johnyjohny said:

ANN says October for a UK release date so I'd assume something close to that for NA. Funi is doing a cinema release for NA in April.

So it's going to be a long wait for a BD.
Godddamit, thanks for the reply dude
Feb 5, 2017 10:04 PM

Aug 2010
trains: the real enemy of makoto shinkai's love stories.
Feb 6, 2017 3:20 PM

Apr 2013
Barrys said:
Sourire said:
Good movie, not deserving of #1 spot tho.. Spirited Away is a thousand times better than Kimi no na wa.

No way, Spirited Away is hugely overrated imo.
That's a nice opinion you got there, can't help but laugh at it tho.
Feb 6, 2017 9:22 PM

Aug 2016
I am honestly confused on some points:

Why did the comet not cause more damage? Comets move much faster than asteroids, and assuming it is similar to Shoemaker (which was referenced in the movie), it would have caused catastrophic environmental damage.

Why did boy forget girl's name on the mountain top? Should have not retained it given that he still would have learned it from his research of the accident?

Why was girl able to remember boy's name on the train, but no where else?

Why was boy able to remember the scenery of the town but not the name?

Why did the ribbon transfer over physically on the mountaintop?

Why did boy not remember the girl who gave him the bracelet if he still decided to wear it?

Why did they decided to communicate by body messages rather than by phone or the internet first?

How did neither of them come to understand they were in different timelines?

I'm probably forgetting some, as this is all off the top of my head after finishing the film. I'm also willing to bet a few of these were answered in the film, and i'm too big of a retard to catch it.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Feb 6, 2017 11:34 PM
May 2016
I watched this movie on a plane coming home from Japan. One of the air hostesses found me in tears and offered me a cup of tea. She said she'd seen it too, and that it had also made her cry.

The experience of watching this beautiful movie was worth all the shame of being comforted by an air stewardess with hot green tea.
Feb 8, 2017 1:26 PM

Apr 2014
Was it worth to wait for this movie? Absolutly!

Loved the movie and even made me tear up a few times. Art was breathtaking, soundtrack good and overall it was amezing.

10/10
Feb 9, 2017 9:40 AM

Jul 2014
Those 19 ppl who hated it dont know what a good film is....
Feb 9, 2017 10:11 AM

Feb 2016
AnimeAddict117 said:

1566+ people don't know what a good film is.
Oh the horror the horror. Pretty art doesn't solely make a film good.
Feb 9, 2017 11:49 AM

Jul 2014
Aquamirror said:
AnimeAddict117 said:

I did not say anything about art....
Feb 9, 2017 11:50 AM

Feb 2016
AnimeAddict117 said:
Aquamirror said:

That's the only good thing about it :/
Feb 9, 2017 11:51 AM

Jul 2014
Aquamirror said:
AnimeAddict117 said:

That's the only good thing about it :/

In your view...fair enough.i respect it...but that dosent make it true in any way...
Feb 10, 2017 3:39 AM

Sep 2011
Good movie. Honestly I feel something's lacking. It feels like there's a gap on my heart after I watched the whole movie. Sadly they don't remember each other but at least they can start anew.

Feb 11, 2017 11:10 AM

Jan 2013
That's why she had the iphone 5 and he had the iphone 6s. That was genius, I figured a girl living in a small town in japan would naturally not be up to date with the current tech. But still, to not notice from other clues what year it was. I would have noticed for sure.

Anyways great movie. 9/10
Feb 12, 2017 8:25 AM

May 2009
I'm thankful to be alive at a time when they still make great movies like this. What a time to be alive.
Been years since I watched a solid 10. Art, Story, Music... Thank you Makoto for this amazing ride.

The quote from "Bokura ga Ita" fits this movie perfectly: "Ever since I met you, I feel like I've lived to meet you".

P.s. The way this movie was directed makes me wanna re-watch it for those moments that make more sense after the end. Didn't expect this much out of this movie, it started out as a slow ride, but like avalanche it grew faster and faster until it crushed my expectations :)
x3mslayerFeb 12, 2017 8:33 AM
Feb 12, 2017 5:06 PM

Jul 2016
FreshTango said:
For those who said the movie had a bad story, could you give explanations as to why? I respect your opinions but just want to know the reasons behind your criticisms.

It will probably help me make a more accurate analysis as well when I watch it the second time given I know what to look out for.

I gave the movie a 4/5. I liked it enough, but I just don't get the level of hype. The plot holes didn't bother me too much, but they were pretty obvious. For starters, if they're both living in the modern era with each others phone numbers, why did they never call or skype each other?

Maybe I'll have to watch it again, but I just didn't feel that wow factor
Feb 13, 2017 2:56 PM

Aug 2011
Very good movie but personally it didn't live up to the hype I've been hearing about. The visuals are absolutely gorgeous and and the entire runtime is a feast for the eyes.

The story sounds good on paper but the execution was lacking impact. It made me very curious to find out what was the mystery connection between the two characters but the second-half of the film did not tug on my heartstrings or come close to making me cry.

8/10, a very pretty and interesting film.
Feb 13, 2017 3:23 PM

Mar 2012
Smpavement said:
FreshTango said:
For those who said the movie had a bad story, could you give explanations as to why? I respect your opinions but just want to know the reasons behind your criticisms.

It will probably help me make a more accurate analysis as well when I watch it the second time given I know what to look out for.

I gave the movie a 4/5. I liked it enough, but I just don't get the level of hype. The plot holes didn't bother me too much, but they were pretty obvious. For starters, if they're both living in the modern era with each others phone numbers, why did they never call or skype each other?

Cultural differences, Japanese don't typically call or skype to communicate if there are total strangers to each other (In this case, they're not but they're not that close either). Instead they rely on text messaging, which didn't work since they live in a different timeline.

There's a lot of perspectives in this movie that are exclusively common among the Japanese or to Japan. So, if you know any Japanese friend, consult them.
Feb 13, 2017 3:44 PM

Jul 2016
AOXization said:
Smpavement said:

Cultural differences, Japanese don't typically call or skype to communicate if there are total strangers to each other (In this case, they're not but they're not that close either). Instead they rely on text messaging, which didn't work since they live in a different timeline.

There's a lot of perspectives in this movie that are exclusively common among the Japanese or to Japan. So, if you know any Japanese friend, consult them.

I admit I have never been to japan nor personally know anyone from Japan, but I find it hard to believe they would not contact each other in such an extraordinary circumstance. If someone had full control of my body and life a significant amount of time, I would want to know absolutely everything about them and get to the bottom of it. Cultural differences aside, I would be shocked if any human would not do the same. The fact that they never considered even exchanging last names in this case over several weeks is not realistic. Social media is still huge in Japan, and Facebook, instagram, and twitter all exist. I know they couldn't have actually called or visited each other due to the time gap, but they did not know this so they could have attempted anyway.

Overall I liked the movie, but I had to suspend my disbelief a lot. It didn't ruin the fun for me but I see where some people are coming from
Feb 14, 2017 7:04 AM

Feb 2016
Smpavement said:

And conveniently enough they didn't even look at the calendar. LOL
The plot is such a brain turn off.
Feb 14, 2017 11:32 AM

Jul 2016
Aquamirror said:
Smpavement said:

Lmao true I didn't think of that. Definitely just a "don't think too hard and prepare to smile" kind of movie
Feb 14, 2017 2:41 PM
Feb 2016
Smpavement said:
Aquamirror said:

Lmao true I didn't think of that. Definitely just a "don't think too hard and prepare to smile" kind of movie

Way too true, This one of the most "don't think about it all, just feel it" movies to hit, and it somehow made it to number one on this site.
Feb 14, 2017 5:25 PM

Jul 2016
2-2Distracted said:
Smpavement said:

Way too true, This one of the most "don't think about it all, just feel it" movies to hit, and it somehow made it to number one on this site.

I think everyone here just loves a romance. I thought Howl's Moving Castle wasn't amazing either but it's like everyone's favorite Miyazaki movie
Feb 15, 2017 8:40 AM

Feb 2015
Absolutely phenomenal. Truly a fitting conclusion, such a wonderful film. Ahh it really did live up to the hype. The body switching thing was never properly explained, but that's something that could never really be explained. Point is, I'm glad that Mitsuha survived <3 ah I don't know what to say. It was quite the experience! Music and art were outstanding, they way the mystery slowly unravelled was quite satisfying. 9.7/10 (rounds up to 10)
Feb 15, 2017 9:48 AM

Oct 2016
Luke72 said:
Absolutely phenomenal. Truly a fitting conclusion, such a wonderful film. Ahh it really did live up to the hype. The body switching thing was never properly explained, but that's something that could never really be explained. Point is, I'm glad that Mitsuha survived <3 ah I don't know what to say. It was quite the experience! Music and art were outstanding, they way the mystery slowly unravelled was quite satisfying. 9.7/10 (rounds up to 10)

Lol it's aight...
Feb 16, 2017 6:45 AM

Jan 2017
I don't understand that why some people hated or dislike Kimi no Na Wa (Your Name)? This situation is too crazy and joke. Actually, I really cried 3 times. I most together cried is 3rd cried when Taki and Mizuha tried to together their name after talking and meeting in the Tokyo train. The 2 protagonists switched their body in Japan whose are lost romance but the ending is miracle and surprised. I think Your Name is most people liked in MyAnimeList which is make current people ranked 1 and rated 9.34/10 Scores. I rated Your Name 11 out of 10 scores (Super masterpiece) which is make me touching, surprised and amazing 2016 anime movie.

Chi_Ho_LauFeb 16, 2017 6:49 AM
Pages (28) « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 18 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

JuliusKingsley0 - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

» How? ( 1 2 )

phantomgamer098 - Jul 18, 2023

50 by cl3dson »»
Nov 19, 2023 9:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.