Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 13, 2007 8:04 AM

Jul 2006
this anime really is very boring, but the concept is really special. i love the way they tell the story.

ok, its about a camera woman who is chosen by the UN to cover the events in a small war-torn country, after she takes a gorgeous picture of the peoples' flag waving against the setting sun (really a beautiful design).

the whole series is seen thru a camera lens, be it photo or view, or thru the computer. you always see the little digital #s and junk when the anime is playing. and the shots are kinda jumpy (looks like the blair with project but with color and no witch o_O)

i would only suggest you watch it for the style, after the first ep you will probably drop it.
Apr 24, 2009 11:09 PM
Jul 2008
exactly how I would describe it. It was horrible at first, no actually through the lens for the entire show was a bit too much partly because of the random shutter, moving around or other stuff plus that this is more like a war documentary than an anime. The first 4 eps seemed like forever. It got a bit better at the end, the last two or three episodes was worth it. I can't say it was a piece of shit, let's leave it was a good documentary anime on war.
Apr 25, 2009 4:58 AM

Jan 2008
Yeah, thread title pretty much sums it up. Worth a watch if you're interested in creative efforts, but if you're only interested in being entertained by a good narrative then go elsewhere.

Where I dont know, not much realistic attempts at modern war scenarios in anime.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Apr 28, 2009 4:11 AM

Feb 2009
I think we should honour this series for it's brave attempt to be something different. I enjoy a more serious anime once in a while and you might call this series boring,but i dont see it this way. I think it doesnt fail at what it wanted to achieve.

Apr 28, 2009 11:22 AM
May 2008
Well for me this anime is awesome it has something different than other anime
Of course some people will hate and drop this anime but for me it's great experience in anime world
THE ENDING WAS SAD
Jun 11, 2009 4:52 PM
Jan 2008
hmm...tell me, what faction was the extremist group? if it was like left-wing, ill drop the show right away..can't stand most shows who do that
"Forged in darkness with wheat harvested from Hell's half acre. Baked by Beelzabub; slathered with mayonnaise beaten from the evil eggs of dark chickens, force-fed to dogs by the hands of a one-eyed madman. Cheese boiled from the rancid utters of fanged cows. Layered with 666 separate meats from an animal which has maggots for blood."
ATHF
Dec 31, 2010 1:22 AM

Jun 2010
DjNastyDevice said:
I think we should honour this series for it's brave attempt to be something different.

Which is what you say when something different wasn't actually any good.

DjNastyDevice said:
I think it doesnt fail at what it wanted to achieve.

It totally failed. What does this show manage to say about war or journalism? Just trite platitudes.

They didn't even use the "through the camera's lens" conceit very well. Those two must have their cameras plastered to their faces at even the most awkward times, or we wouldn't have some of the footage that composes the show. It more often seems like it's just a first-person POV.

It doesn't even create a sense of verisimilitude. We mostly just get people talking to the camera, like a documentary. But they're not documentarians, they're photographers. There's a difference.

They also too often use the unusual presentation as an excuse to just perform infodumps which are never a good way of generating interest.

Why does the show spend so much time on that one Japanese soldier? All we learn is that he has a fatalistic outlook on the possibility of getting killed. This is old hat stuff and a waste of time when the series doesn't do a good job of saying anything about journalism.

There's also far too much maudlin poetic language from the male photographer.
FronzelJan 10, 2011 12:57 AM
Oct 20, 2012 11:59 PM

Nov 2010
Fronzel said:
DjNastyDevice said:
I think we should honour this series for it's brave attempt to be something different.

Which is what you say when something different wasn't actually any good.
Way to read only part of his post. It might have not been perfect but it was definitely good.

I believe it is kind of boring at times, but it was definitely a nice and creative way to make an anime. I loved how everything fit together at the end(would have liked a little more of seeing people's reactions). But it is definitely an anime that I will remember.

June said:
this anime really is very boring, but the concept is really special. i love the way they tell the story.

ok, its about a camera woman who is chosen by the UN to cover the events in a small war-torn country, after she takes a gorgeous picture of the peoples' flag waving against the setting sun (really a beautiful design).

the whole series is seen thru a camera lens, be it photo or view, or thru the computer. you always see the little digital #s and junk when the anime is playing. and the shots are kinda jumpy (looks like the blair with project but with color and no witch o_O)

i would only suggest you watch it for the style, after the first ep you will probably drop it.
You obviously didn't finish and see how everything fit together.
Nov 19, 2012 3:20 AM
May 2010
I wouldn't say that the show is boring just because you didn't understand or enjoy it. Everyone has their own opinion about it, but at least try to understand the point of some parts of it. Yes it's unconventional and at times can be a bit tedious, but this is what you call a REALISTIC anime. And as for why the photographers have their cameras plastered to their faces, well it was explained. They are free lance reporters/journalists/photographers and they have to record everything, because they don't know when something will happen. As for the flag with the sun setting, it wasn't just the sun, there were people praying in the silhouette, specifically the Kufura. I'm just reiterating what was in the anime. Anyway, each one to their own...
Oct 6, 2013 8:40 AM

Mar 2010
It was okay, especially that it was only 13 episodes long.

That's some signature, eh?
Jan 9, 2014 7:06 PM

Aug 2008
A nice concept and very creative for an anime. But the pacing was just way too slow for a story. Some of the scenes were pretty good and intriguing though, but overall it's just too damn slow and boring. It kinda reminds me of Haibane Renmei in that sense. Good idea, regardless.
May 9, 2014 1:04 PM

May 2010
it sucks (read my review)
Fiction Responsibly
May 17, 2014 1:04 PM
Jun 2013
It looks like I'm in the minority, but I loved this anime. I thought the concept was executed brilliantly. It was such a refreshing change from the formulaic shows that studios usually output. I can honestly say the show never bored me once. I thought it actually had great pacing. It definitely earned a spot on my top 50 list.
Sep 8, 2014 6:07 AM

Apr 2009
I loved this anime from start to finish. It's great to watch an anime that is telling a deep story using photography ^_^ (I'm a photographer) FLAG is an anime about a great photographer living her life to the fullest & capturing all the moments with her camera,Which i find very touching.
Of course everyone is going to think differently though,But i did not find FLAG to be boring at all.

Jan 28, 2015 4:16 PM

Jul 2011
I find it depressing that people would see this much needed breath of fresh air as "boring". The narrative takes some getting used to, but it's certainly not what I would consider to be boring at all, it's very well done and has plenty of moments of intensity. There is a lot of patience required and I had to watch some episodes more than once to take everything in, but in the end I found myself really appreciating the subtlety of it and overall I think it was quite expertly crafted.

Takahashi is simply a master of his trade and Flag is no exception to this. Excellent series and definitive mecha of the 00s.
Oct 18, 2016 10:43 PM

Sep 2013
I just finished it and I had been watching it over a period of 3-4 weeks only after that I understood how amazing it really was; from the outstanding ost, to the intricate yet simple way the story was told through the lens of a camera at all times, being able to tell how the narration/camera view of the story was truly told, and the amazing ending and while it had a few faults overall it impacted me enough that I'm seriously considering adding it to my favorites and taking up photography, a subject that I was only slightly interested in before watching Flag. And just for reference my favorite anime really means something to me so much so that each has made a different impact on my life.
May 22, 2018 9:57 AM

Oct 2016
renjikuchiki1 said:
hmm...tell me, what faction was the extremist group? if it was like left-wing, ill drop the show right away..can't stand most shows who do that

What does this even mean?
Jul 20, 2020 3:05 AM

Apr 2020
the male journalist's story is kinda interesting
but the mecha battle feels really underwhelming and out of place

More topics from this board

Poll: » FLAG Episode 2 Discussion

zippy - Mar 22, 2008

7 by DrThurl »»
Dec 12, 2023 3:17 PM

Poll: » FLAG Episode 13 Discussion

FighterZ - Aug 10, 2008

24 by W3TFT »»
Feb 19, 2023 5:17 PM

Poll: » FLAG Episode 1 Discussion

zippy - Mar 22, 2008

12 by Gundam_Sage »»
Apr 5, 2022 3:59 AM

Poll: » Flag Episode 12 Discussion

_HeroKenzan_ - Jul 28, 2015

2 by TitanInsane »»
Jan 28, 2021 7:17 AM

Poll: » Flag Episode 11 Discussion

_HeroKenzan_ - Jul 28, 2015

2 by TitanInsane »»
Jan 28, 2021 6:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.