Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 1, 2008 6:32 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Okay, that looked fucking amazing! That's the best CG I've seen so far. The characters didn't look as fake as in 2004 - even though that one was still good. But man this was as detailed as it gets, the effects were awesome, just beautiful.

The story is nothing completely new but I still enjoyed it, you weren't really to guess anything the author(s) didn't want you to know and it managed to keep the typical Appleseed atmosphere.

The music was awesome as always, I'll be sure to get the soundtrack when it's out.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 1, 2008 6:35 PM

Jan 2008
Is it really out!? Who subbed it?

*off to hunt it down*
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Mar 1, 2008 6:35 PM

Aug 2007
Hmmm Little question. If i want to see this one will i need to see the other Appleseed Movies?

Edit: i got my torrent from here http://www.tokyotosho.com/details.php?id=121575
Mar 1, 2008 6:45 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Cihan said:
Is it really out!? Who subbed it?*

720p HD Blu-Ray rip: http://www.tokyotosho.com/details.php?id=121565

Xvid (like Static pointed out): http://www.tokyotosho.com/details.php?id=121575

If you can run it in HD, get that file. It looks amazing.

The subs are ripped subtitles from the Blu-Ray disc. Xvid has English subs, mkv has English, Dutch, German, French, Spanish, and Portuguese. Both have Japanese audio only obviously.

Static said:
Hmmm Little question. If i want to see this one will i need to see the other Appleseed Movies?

Well, there is the old movie from the 80s that would probably help to understand why things are the way they are. The movie from 2004 is not really related to his movie, it just takes place at a later point of time. As a fan I'd say watch 2004 too but it's your decision. It's not absolutely necessary.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 2, 2008 12:31 AM

Jan 2008
Superb animation, good music ( but worse than in Vexille, IMO) and story lame as ever in those CG anime movies.

Seriously, they should finally hire a good screenwriter for new CG movies. Dialogues and plot events reminded me of B or even C class hollywood movies.

@Static
Yea, You should watch Appleseed from 2004 to get familira with main characters and setting.

@cyruz
BestDivx release has English audio or maybe there's another version from this group which i doubt. Dub is pretty good.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Mar 2, 2008 4:09 AM

Jan 2008
2 problems: I dont use torrents. My lousy computer would blow up trying to handle anything HD.

Argh! I will continue to wait for it to turn up on ed2k network...
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Mar 2, 2008 8:43 AM

Jan 2008
Just watched the dub, not very impressed. It reminded me too much of the 2004 film and all of its flaws. Also, you could see too much of John Woo's influence and this really isn't the anime for that. I still don't like the CG characters and unless there is a sudden flux of CG only anime, I doubt I'll ever get used to them. All in all, another average film.
Mar 2, 2008 12:25 PM

Feb 2008
Man I only have divx format, and guess it, it's dubbed and well it's pretty good.

Is there with japan with sub? or should I search for mkv format?

Well one thing for sure, Deunan still rocks, and the animation greater than appleseed original, but the story flow different from the ending of the original.
Mar 4, 2008 7:11 AM

Dec 2007
Well I just watched the original movie again and Ex Machina (1080p version) this morning back to back. Ex Machina was so much better not only in the CG area but in story and dialogue as well. Definitely a 10 in my books, everything even the soundtrack was improved by leaps and bounds from the original.

I was expecting it to be bad since John Woo is in my opinion a terrible producer. All of his films usually have a 10 minute scene of guys running in slow motion with their shirts off. You could definitely see his influence but I really enjoyed it. He should stick to working on just CG films.
Mar 4, 2008 8:47 AM

Oct 2007
cyruz said:

Static said:

Well, there is the old movie from the 80s that would probably help to understand why things are the way they are. The movie from 2004 is not really related to his movie, it just takes place at a later point of time. As a fan I'd say watch 2004 too but it's your decision. It's not absolutely necessary.

Ex Machina is listed as a sequel to the 2004 movie, though as you said, they are not related in the sense that if you missed it, you wouldn't completely misunderstand Ex Machina. I never saw the OVA, which I have now downloaded and plan on watching as well. Though Ex Machina had better CG, I actually loiked the look of the 2004 version better, because it didn't really look like CG, but rather extremely polished anime! As memory serves me, the 2004 film was a combination of CG and anime, so it still had that "anime feel" moreso than the obvious CG of Ex Machina. Being that I'm not a huge fan of CG, though I enjoyed Ex Machina, I couldn't get into it as much as I did the 2004 film. There's supposed to be a TV series in the works..I hope it picks up where Ex Machina leaves off!

Mar 4, 2008 8:53 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
lifeordeath2 said:
There's supposed to be a TV series in the works..I hope it picks up where Ex Machina leaves off!

Now that'd be pretty awesome.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 6, 2008 9:15 PM

Jan 2008
downloaded the 720 off iso, i was soo mad because my laptop was lagging. I had to borrow a friends to watch it(just restarting now) ive only watched 45 mins of it though i am starting from the beginning now. So far its really good!

Mar 6, 2008 9:17 PM

Jan 2008
cyruz said:
lifeordeath2 said:
There's supposed to be a TV series in the works..I hope it picks up where Ex Machina leaves off!

Now that'd be pretty awesome.

i would love to see how that would turn out. i hope they do, do a seeries

Mar 7, 2008 1:12 PM

Oct 2007
wow... movie was pretty awesome... deunan is sexy as always... hope they do a tv series that would rock
Mar 7, 2008 1:31 PM

Jan 2008
I have to say, while I was impressed with the animation, I thought that the story was extremely weak. At the end it felt like I was watching a bad startrek plot involving the Borg. The first movie, while it definitely has it's flaws had a much better story and dealt with issues that were far less black and white.

Mar 7, 2008 9:49 PM

Jul 2007
Pretty good movie, the animation was very nicely done and there were quite a few awesome action scenes, I'm definitely glad I downloaded the HD version for sure^^,
Mar 8, 2008 5:39 PM

Jan 2008
Ah, finally found it. I could download Japanese audio version (2 part MKV, right?), but I'm trying to save bandwith so will go for the AVI dub. I usually hate dubs so I hope it wont affect my judgement of this film too much...
Mar 9, 2008 2:50 PM

Nov 2006
That was one awesome movie. Animation was wow, story less wow, but still very wow and the interaction between the characters was very nice. I loved it!
Mar 9, 2008 3:23 PM
Jul 2018
I'll just go ahead and state the obvious here.
Animation was awesome, especially in HD. Story was close to garbage. Music was a bit below average. If it wasn't for the incredible CG (and me now being an HD-addict), I'd have given it a five or something, but the animation lifted it up to a seven.

And, I don't like THORA at all. I'm not all that good at moonspeak, but there were quite a few bad translations here and there. (For example "arigatou gozaimasu" being translated to "thanks", while a nomal "arigatou" suddenly became "thanks a lot".) Well, well.
Mar 9, 2008 4:21 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Isindil said:
And, I don't like THORA at all. I'm not all that good at moonspeak, but there were quite a few bad translations here and there. (For example "arigatou gozaimasu" being translated to "thanks", while a nomal "arigatou" suddenly became "thanks a lot".) Well, well.

Given the fact that there are a lot of languages in that HD .mkv, I suppose they just ripped the subtitles from the DVD. And those are always off and no direct translations.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 10, 2008 8:45 PM

May 2007
Here are the soft subs. I'm pretty sure this guy just ripped them off the dvd like all the others, but it's better than nothing.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YW7BP583

I'm uploading the avi of the raw to use with the soft subs. I'm also downloading the Bluray rip and i'm planning to upload that eventually.
Mar 11, 2008 7:14 AM

Jan 2008
This film was a big pile of poo.

The dub was atrocious, as expected. No offense, but anyone who prefers dub over sub has suspect taste. Do you know how ridiculous it is to hear a NY police captain voicing a 'man of authority' in anime all the time? DO YOU!?

Anyway, you can read my review on the anime page.
Mar 11, 2008 7:58 AM

Oct 2006
I actually quite enjoyed this one. Perhaps in part because it was the first thing I watched in 1080p on my new HDTV, but I'm sure the visuals would be pretty amazing even in SD. The action scenes are nicely done too - not at all believable, but nicely done. The plot and such are pretty unimpressive, and the badly-executed foreshadowing made all the plot twists painfully obvious, but I thought they were at least good enough that they didn't drag down my enjoyment of the rest of the movie.
Mar 11, 2008 8:12 AM

Jan 2008
Even the action scenes were boring to me, I cant remember a single one, and I just finished watching the damn thing an hour ago! It felt like John Woo copying John Woo. I wasnt amazed by the last film, but at least that one had something to say, as hackneyed as it was, and it had a ninja lady slicing herself to bits.
Mar 11, 2008 8:24 AM

Mar 2007
I watched the DVD last weekend (in Japanese with english subs on) and thought the movie was okay. It certainly looked pretty (and the DVD quality is amazing) but that animation style made me feel like I was watching a video game. It was a little off-putting. I got used to it eventually, but it was just a little creepy for me. I had no problem following the plot even though I haven't seen the 2004 film. I saw the old anime of this, but it has been so many years, I don't remember it.

By the end of the film, I was predicting what all the characters would say before they said it. The plot was very predictable. They made suspects and clues way too obvious. I liked the music though (yay m-flo!). The John Woo-isms while initially funny, eventually distracted from the action. I was too busy thinking 'ah, this is John Woo influence here' than paying attention to what was going on :)

Still, I don't think it was awful. I have certainly seen worse. ^_^
Mar 12, 2008 2:15 AM

Jan 2008
Sorry, I know there are bigger and better things to bash out there, but I just cant let this slide.

# UN diplomats being held hostage in a cathedral. Why? Were they kidnapped and brought to a cathedral? Were they doing something in the cathedral to begin with? There's no explanation, but I'll tell you why: BECAUSE ITS A CLICHE.

# Briareos suffers from the exploding cathedral. Duenen cries and tries to run to him. I say 'tries' because for some inexplicable reason she is held back by another SWAT dude. For no reason. What reason could there possibly be to hold back Duenen from dropping to her knees beside Briareos and to comfort him while paramedics arrive? What possible reason? Oh yeah. BECAUSE ITS A CLICHE.

# Why did Duenen remove a piece of evidence from a crime scene and hand it to mechanic dude in secret? Why didnt she let the forensic people do their job? There was absolutely no foreshadowing or actual dialogue hinting a possible mole or leak at SWAT HQ, there was absolutely no reason for Duenen to go through backchannels to have that piece of evidence checked out, no reason other than... BECAUSE IT'S A CLICHE.

#
"Here Briareos, take a gun."
"I wont need it."
"ARE YOU RETARDED? IN 5 MINUTES YOU'RE GONNA CONFRONT THE MAIN BAD GUY WHO WILL POINT HIS GUN AT YOU AND YOU WILL STEP BACK IN SURPRISE. DUMBASS."
"But...but I'm a cliche... :("

# Briareos, Duenen and Terra-whatshisface run away from zombies and appear in the middle of a street, pondering what to do next. Before the writer can actually use his imagination or go to filmmaking school to learn how to write a competent screenplay, the mechanic dude appears from nowhere in a truck. With mecha all ready to go. How? How did he know where they were? How did he appear in a matter of seconds? With mecha ready to go as if he knew what they were planning to do? BECAUSE IT’S A MOTHERHUMPING CLICHE.
Mar 16, 2008 7:44 PM

Jan 2008
I just bought the DVD currently watching that version, as i stated previously its simply amazing. The animation is so well done and lifelike, though i found that the some of the english voices sound a bit off.

I highly recommend buying it, its only $24.99 for the movie or $34.99 for the 2disk special edition, its worth it.

Mar 24, 2008 5:37 PM

Aug 2007
I just finished it. It was pretty enjoyable. Nice soundtrack, Nice CG, and the characters were pretty real :)

8/10.
Mar 24, 2008 7:52 PM

Feb 2008
It was a great movie. John Woo has done a decent job
Apr 1, 2008 9:00 AM

Feb 2008
I liked it, it wasn't as good as the previous one but the CG was better.
Apr 1, 2008 2:24 PM

Feb 2008
the CG was wonderful. as far as the story, well its nothing original but still it developed quite well.
Apr 3, 2008 7:15 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
In terms of story BIG BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.... Don't tell me this was Masamune Shirow's original work. It's an insult to him. Seriously, can that even be called a science-fiction film? Poorly done....

Although the graphics was VERY good so far I am concerned.

give 10/10 to the graphics. The story/plot merits a whooping 2/10.....

Overall 7/10. (After all, i'm still an appleseed fan waiting impatiently for Genesis....)
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 4, 2008 2:57 AM

Jan 2008
wakka9ca said:
In terms of story BIG BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.... Don't tell me this was Masamune Shirow's original work. It's an insult to him. Seriously, can that even be called a science-fiction film? Poorly done....

Although the graphics was VERY good so far I am concerned.

give 10/10 to the graphics. The story/plot merits a whooping 2/10.....

Overall 7/10. (After all, i'm still an appleseed fan waiting impatiently for Genesis....)

You do know the people responsible for this monstrosity are behind the TV series?

And yes, I should also have mentioned in my review that this is more a comedy than it is sci-fi. Good point.
Apr 10, 2008 8:58 PM

May 2007
Saw it without seeing 2004, liked it alot more than I thought, I might just check out the show now, 8/10.
My anime list
Apr 10, 2008 10:13 PM

Aug 2007
Cihan said:
Sorry, I know there are bigger and better things to bash out there, but I just cant let this slide.

# UN diplomats being held hostage in a cathedral. Why? Were they kidnapped and brought to a cathedral? Were they doing something in the cathedral to begin with? There's no explanation, but I'll tell you why: BECAUSE ITS A CLICHE.

Where should they take them for it not to be a cliche, Burger King? It needs to look good and be a fesable defensive position in the middle of a city.Every single scinario for hostage taking has been used in one film or another.The whole point is nobody knows why they were taken let alone why they are taken there, if I recall rightly it is explained later that all the stuff is just ment as a test of control.

# Briareos suffers from the exploding cathedral. Duenen cries and tries to run to him. I say 'tries' because for some inexplicable reason she is held back by another SWAT dude. For no reason. What reason could there possibly be to hold back Duenen from dropping to her knees beside Briareos and to comfort him while paramedics arrive? What possible reason? Oh yeah. BECAUSE ITS A CLICHE.

Never run back towards something that is exploding has exploded They have a tendancy to fall on you killing you and the person you are crying over, securing something like that is someone elses job. Rule #1 of any first aid always secure the site and ensure personal safety. If you aint there doing a job stay out your just in the way. Kneeling crying by a fallen comrade/loved one now that's a cliche and generally something that wouldn't happen in real life.

# Why did Duenen remove a piece of evidence from a crime scene and hand it to mechanic dude in secret? Why didnt she let the forensic people do their job? There was absolutely no foreshadowing or actual dialogue hinting a possible mole or leak at SWAT HQ, there was absolutely no reason for Duenen to go through backchannels to have that piece of evidence checked out, no reason other than... BECAUSE IT'S A CLICHE.

Something shady is going on and someone high up is probably involved, so keep the evidence to someone you can trust, dodgey officials are a running theme through the whole appleseed saga manga to ex machina. Are forensics even part of E-Swat? Taking something out of context like that can make it seem however you want it to, this is not a stand alone movie.

#
"Here Briareos, take a gun."
"I wont need it."
"ARE YOU RETARDED? IN 5 MINUTES YOU'RE GONNA CONFRONT THE MAIN BAD GUY WHO WILL POINT HIS GUN AT YOU AND YOU WILL STEP BACK IN SURPRISE. DUMBASS."
"But...but I'm a cliche... :("

its not a cliche its just being a dumbarse, Briarios is like that in the manga to an extent so it doesn't really surprise me.

# Briareos, Duenen and Terra-whatshisface run away from zombies and appear in the middle of a street, pondering what to do next. Before the writer can actually use his imagination or go to filmmaking school to learn how to write a competent screenplay, the mechanic dude appears from nowhere in a truck. With mecha all ready to go. How? How did he know where they were? How did he appear in a matter of seconds? With mecha ready to go as if he knew what they were planning to do? BECAUSE IT’S A MOTHERHUMPING CLICHE.

We have mastered cloning, landmates and giant walking defense platforms but GPS or tracking in land mates is far beyond our capabilities, considering the meeting they are having is about satalites I thaught that would be a simple answer.That plus he should have a good idea of what Duenan is going to do as she took a land mate when ordered to confined to barracks. So he knows what she is going doing and the shit is hitting the fan and duneans landmate is buggered.

Anyway I liked it, If you want a anime that holds you hand all the way through explaining every action as and when it happens go moe.There is always a simple answer to anime like that "why?" "coz its moe". I mean they explain why stuff has happened, why do you need them to explain every little detail. Like why use a church as a stronghold? Come on its obvious, do you really need someone to explain stuff like that too you? None of the main characters the story is following know why should it be explained to the viewer. If we did then then the whole film would ended there, whats the point in carrying on a film if you explain the whole plot in the first 10 minuites. Its like people who read about soaps in magazines before they are shown on tv, I don't get why you would want that.

Seriously, can that even be called a science-fiction film?

Smells like cyber-punk to me, so yes I think you can.

Apr 11, 2008 4:30 AM

Jan 2008
edge_666 said:
Where should they take them for it not to be a cliche, Burger King? It needs to look good and be a fesable defensive position in the middle of a city.Every single scinario for hostage taking has been used in one film or another.The whole point is nobody knows why they were taken let alone why they are taken there, if I recall rightly it is explained later that all the stuff is just ment as a test of control.

Uh, how about taking them hostage where they were in the first place? Like, a UN building for example? Yes every single scenario has been taken by every other film, but this one doesnt even bother to explain theirs. I'll explain it for you: A church in the middle of freakin' nowhere is just a stupid stupid 'homage' to John Woo's The Killer.

Never run back towards something that is exploding has exploded They have a tendancy to fall on you killing you and the person you are crying over, securing something like that is someone elses job. Rule #1 of any first aid always secure the site and ensure personal safety. If you aint there doing a job stay out your just in the way. Kneeling crying by a fallen comrade/loved one now that's a cliche and generally something that wouldn't happen in real life.

Sorry, dont buy it. This anime would never actually follow real life first aid techniques in the first place, its just a simple cliche. Besides, if it were going by your logic, then Duenen wouldnt just sit by him crying her eyes out, she would deliver first aid herself, all members are trained in that too, arent they?

Something shady is going on and someone high up is probably involved, so keep the evidence to someone you can trust, dodgey officials are a running theme through the whole appleseed saga manga to ex machina. Are forensics even part of E-Swat? Taking something out of context like that can make it seem however you want it to, this is not a stand alone movie.

THERE WAS NOTHING IN THE SCRIPT TO SUGGEST ANY LEAK OR MOLE AT SWAT HQ. Its just bad screenwriting. The stupid writer has no idea of the concept of set up and pay off.

We have mastered cloning, landmates and giant walking defense platforms but GPS or tracking in land mates is far beyond our capabilities, considering the meeting they are having is about satalites I thaught that would be a simple answer.That plus he should have a good idea of what Duenan is going to do as she took a land mate when ordered to confined to barracks. So he knows what she is going doing and the shit is hitting the fan and duneans landmate is buggered.

I will agree that the mechanic dude just probably guessed her next action, but to simply have him turn up exactly where and when they need him is so convenient, I just dont know how you people can just sit there and accept it. Its insulting, just insulting. You see that in something like One Piece, to have it in, what I assumed would be a feature length film aimed at the late teen to adult crowd, is laughable.

Anyway I liked it, If you want a anime that holds you hand all the way through explaining every action as and when it happens go moe.There is always a simple answer to anime like that "why?" "coz its moe". I mean they explain why stuff has happened, why do you need them to explain every little detail. Like why use a church as a stronghold? Come on its obvious, do you really need someone to explain stuff like that too you? None of the main characters the story is following know why should it be explained to the viewer. If we did then then the whole film would ended there, whats the point in carrying on a film if you explain the whole plot in the first 10 minuites. Its like people who read about soaps in magazines before they are shown on tv, I don't get why you would want that.

I didnt set out to hate this, I actually enjoyed the first film, but this film repeatedly insulted me with its asinine script. I dont need every little detail explained to me, Ghost in the Shell: Innocence is one of the most ambigious films ever made and its one of my favourite, but Ex Machina is just a bunch of random cliches stringed together with the sole purpose of bending over and shitting on your lap. I didnt appreciate it.

Just want to clarify that I've calmed down a bit and dont want to ship all fans of this film into the outer rims of the solar system, but my hatred for Ex Machina continues to burn with the strength of ten thousand suns.
May 21, 2008 9:07 PM

Jul 2007
I watched this movie in 1080p, it was graphically intense, but it was so phony it embarrassed me, I only gave it a 9 because of the graphics, the movie itself sucked.
May 22, 2008 12:16 AM

Jan 2008
kickass331 said:
I watched this movie in 1080p, it was graphically intense, but it was so phony it embarrassed me, I only gave it a 9 because of the graphics, the movie itself sucked.

I demand you lower your score to reflect this film's lameness!
Jun 8, 2008 6:53 PM

Apr 2008
EDIT: Just added this as my first review on the main Ex Machina Page. Refined and tweaked it a bit to avoid spoilers on the front.

Terrible film. Beyond moronic in its execution, the digital acting is absolutly atrocious, it all comes off terribly cheesy like a midday japanese tv drama. Briarios ducking behind people in a suit at a party to surprise Duenan was beyond hilarious for all the wrong reasons, characters raising arms and biceps in the air shouting out their determination. Made me laugh out loud.

The film which has John Woo behind it, you would expect alot of crazy action. But theres probably only about 3 action setpieces in the entire movie. Story wise, you can predict everything from a mile off. I was scratching my head trying to work out how stupid the characters are in this film. How on earth they couldn't work out the mobile phone devices were the cause of the human brainwashing i have no idea. They seriously needed to call in CSI, heck the film would have been more entertaining if they did.

The team behind this film had the right idea with the love triange between Briarios, Deunan & Tereus. But its terribly executed and makes Deunan look really shallow, it never really developes anywhere. It just sort of magically fixes itself by the end. No character developement whatsoever, there is no excuse for it. They had plenty of material to work with, to develope all this.

I can't believe i bought this on blu-ray, i can't fault the picture on it at least. It probably hurt the film even more, noticing all the dodgy acting in hi-res.

Im a huge fan of anything Masamune Shirow. It should have had the brains of Ghost in the Shell and the dialogue to match it, instead we get a brainless Sci-fi movie with a little action & stiff acting. STIFF as in DEAD.
SuperBeatBoyJun 8, 2008 7:29 PM
Jun 9, 2008 4:07 AM

Jan 2008
I'll rate your helpful review Zero9X. Good job.
Sep 29, 2008 8:28 AM
Sep 2008
A movie that's impressing in the term of the optic. The animation is the best CGI I saw up till now, but the story is very standard. Music also. Normally 4-5, but I gave it a 6. Because of the animation.
And a big minus for the DVD in Germany: no Japanese dub ;__;
Nov 14, 2008 9:01 PM
Mar 2008
Finally got around to renting this. Haven't seen any of the other Appleseed stuff and watched it in Japanese. After hearing some bad reviews from I don't know where, I really enjoyed it and wished I got around to watching it earlier. The voice acting was perfect but the mouth syncing and facial expressions were a bit dry and off but their movements and the animation overall made up for it. Seeing Deunan and Tereus together kinda made me sick lol (at least cut your hair or something). Kinda wished he died or got his face burned off lol. I'm looking forward to more of this, and hope that the TV series will be good. BTW Deunan was hella cute.
Nov 25, 2008 7:46 AM

May 2008
What a wonderful movie!!
Just loved it!!
^^
Jan 18, 2009 3:03 PM

Jan 2009
The movie was visually awesome, however I did notice that some scenes looked like they were taken directly from other movies.

1. The opening shooting scene with Deunan and Briareos = pick just about any John Woo movie
2. The 3 of them in robot armor shooting hundreds of thousands of those little flying things inside the core = humans inside robot armor shooting hundreds of thousands of sentinals in Matrix Revolutions
3. Them waiting on a platform which is about to be destroyed only to see the ship come up from offscreen to rescue them at the last second = Ripley/Hicks being saved on the platform at the last second by Bishop in Aliens
4. They fly their ship out of the center of the main ship just as it explodes even pulling some smoke and fire out with them = Independence Day or Empire Strikes back take your pick.

I mean I can see scenes being similar but I swear these were almost exactly the same.

That being said I still enjoyed the movie, maybe because they took so many parts of movies I like.
Feb 8, 2009 1:01 AM

Aug 2008
The graphics are top notch, more than ever. Especially in 1080p. Breathtaking scenery, action scenes and explosions. All amazingly detailed. However the characters once again fall into the Uncanny Valley which takes away a lot from the overall entertainment. It's like watching a bad Sims 2 trailer.

The main concept is still 10/10. After some thinking I came to the conclusion that Appleseed 2004 had a more-or-less solid story, only the bad directing/terrible character interaction ruined it. So basically the script looked good on paper, only the actual scene in the movie ended up in a bowl of lukewarm phail.

This time around the directing changed for the better while the plot changed for the worst. In the end they're both around a 5/10 level. Tons of clichés and 1-1 copying from other movies (now where was the last time I saw a swarm of drones attacking mechs in a giant hall?), but a bit less over-dramatized scenes. Could be better but we can live with it.. Oh, and the level of Badass sometimes reaches ridiculous levels

The main problem is still the characters. It seems like a trademark for Appleseed, but they don't just look bad, they act bad. Really really bad. Not as bad as in the first movie, but I still wish for all of them to just die.

Overall: in some aspects better than the 2004 movie, but there's still a long way to go
KvakondFeb 8, 2009 1:27 AM
Jun 24, 2009 8:10 PM

Jan 2008
Good movie. Best watched in HD.
Sep 23, 2009 10:05 AM

Nov 2008
I just watched this 1080p and the facial expressions and overall animation quality is THE best when it comes to 100% CGI animation. Unlike Appleseed, Ex Machina's quality is consistent.

The plot is the normal action flick fanfare and being directed by John Woo ensures plenty of fantastic fights. However, I do have to dock off 2 points for dramatized voice acting and occasional cheesy cliches.

8/10; an exceptional example of how far CGI has come.
Oct 10, 2009 7:35 AM

Jun 2009
Appleseed: pretty usual, but normal, sufficient plot for such kind of movie; not many barely stupid moments (but they are present); graphics are not so good as it could be; action moments also could be better (not as much as graphics, of course) a little bit 'cause of the staging and much more 'cause of the camera angles and positions. I'd say, it's about 6.5/10. Normal, but could be better.

Ex Machina: quality of the plot is a little bit better; less barely stupid moments (but almost the same); graphics became much better; action moments are good now, better camera positioning did it's work. Now this is pretty good sci-fi action with about 7.5/10 for it.
Apr 15, 2010 11:02 PM
Jul 2008
I watched the prequel a while back, (maybe a year ago) and I expected to have some trouble with getting to know the characters again.
But that was not the case. The movie wonderfully pics up where the first stopped and in that first scene throws you in the mid of superb action. From that point I knew that this isn't going to be a disappointment.
I accidentally downloaded a dub too, so I was ready for ''this is going to suck'' moment, but it was actually excellently done.
CGI is amazing, no need to say more about that, but that's not the biggest plus of this movie. What I really liked was well paced action and humour. I laughed a lot, which was not something I expected from this type of movie.
The characters were solid (the new ones I mean) and Briareos and Deunan just picked up where the left of I guess.

I'm really excited now for the Appleseed: Genesis. And will be most definitely watching that.
Apr 16, 2010 10:08 AM

Nov 2008
Meri said:
I'm really excited now for the Appleseed: Genesis. And will be most definitely watching that.

The anime series is heading towards cancellation. Check the threads for the series.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Briareos's watch in Appleseed Ex Machina?

mad82 - Aug 14, 2008

1 by cyruz »»
Aug 14, 2008 10:01 AM

» Appleseed Saga Ex Machina - trailer & info

Identity - Jan 5, 2008

2 by lifeordeath2 »»
Feb 4, 2008 9:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.