Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 21, 2016 12:14 AM

Jan 2013
I quite like this anime, in the sea of ecchi/harem anime that comes out, this is something new in quite some time. I don't mind these episodic type of anime if it's done right. I don't think it's perfect, but 7.54 score is kinda low. I would at least give it 7.9 . I know some people don't like episodic anime, but this type of anime with so many main characters and their proffesion as spies , it kinda needs to be episodic. My only negative is mystery part of the anime( could've been more challenging ) and that main characters look alike , I mean I kinda got lost till episode 7 who's who :) I had to check it up on MAL. Maybe if they had less characters and more mystery elements it would have even greater score. What do you think guys ?

Mod Edit: Thread locked for not encouraging discussion.

Anime Discussion Rules: 2.e Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. Examples include:
e. MAL community data
e.g. Questioning the score/ranking/character favorite counts
e.g. Saying that series X should have a higher/lower score/count
e.g. Specific reviews, moderation of data/community content/reviews, etc.
Concerns about the website should be reported using the appropriate buttons or designated MyAnimeList boards.
KuniiDec 21, 2022 6:31 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 21, 2016 12:28 AM

Mar 2016
I think the score suits it fine. In my opinion, 7.54 isn't a low score. And what do you mean by "sea of ecchi/harem"? There's only like 5 shows labeled ecchi/harem, that's hardly a "sea."
May 21, 2016 12:54 AM

Mar 2015
i don't really have problem with episodic story, my main problem is this series trying to look serious and complex when it rely on 3rd factor (the mob character will always act the way protag want/predict without the context) which is ruin everything... i have same exactly problem with spice and wolf, that's why i find maou maouyuu yuusha much better.. this is also why i don't really like complex stuff in general...

i don't think many people think like me, but that's my opinion about this in general..

as for score, this anime placed number 13 in spring blocks, which is not bad at all...
KumaMay 21, 2016 1:03 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 21, 2016 6:08 AM

Jun 2012
Since when 7,5 is considered to be "low"?

- I only draw freestyle! -
May 21, 2016 6:15 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
7.5 is pretty average on MAL though
May 21, 2016 7:43 AM

Apr 2013
The socre isn't bad in 1st place. Now it may be in that place because we don't actually get to see an actual character development, instead we get with each episode passing a new spy introduction, where he is, what his mission is and etc etc. Mission done. Let's move to the next spy. We don't get to actually see those spies in more than one episode. I think this is the reason it's not rated higher.
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
May 22, 2016 6:26 PM

Jan 2013
Glitchytronics said:
I think the score suits it fine. In my opinion, 7.54 isn't a low score. And what do you mean by "sea of ecchi/harem"? There's only like 5 shows labeled ecchi/harem, that's hardly a "sea."

If you think there isn't sea of ecchi/harem animes every year then I don't know what to say about it. 7.54 isnt bad score , hut its low for thos type of show. 7.54 is really average on mal, this show might not be the greatest , bit it's not average. Its different . People just like to have one protagonist and that whole story is about him. I think for this type of show, and his quality its a low score. Someone said its predictable ? No shit Sherlock, its about spies that are really good trained, ofcourse they will be kinda OP. Thats what I like about this show.
May 22, 2016 7:22 PM

Mar 2015
Because people can't appreciate gems like these. Just because it doesn't have an overarching plot doesn't mean it's bad. And besides, the spies themselves need not be characterised; rather, it is because they don't have a "true" character to them that makes the show so appealing.
May 22, 2016 7:25 PM

Jun 2015
7 is not a low score. And people score low because they expect action and are disappointed.
May 23, 2016 12:28 AM

Jan 2014
7.5 is very low score to my standard because my favorite (HxH and FMA) have very high score. It should be 8.5

Joker Game is unexpectedly become my favorite this season (Bungo Stray Dog dissappoint me), This anime is much better than overrated Jojo 4 and Re;Zero.
May 23, 2016 7:18 PM
Apr 2016
MAL demographics skew low.
May 23, 2016 7:28 PM

Mar 2013
Probably because it's shit

Cutting out the harem antics only gets you so far on it's own.
May 23, 2016 7:31 PM

Oct 2014
The mean score of anime on MAL is 6.9 so a 7.5 is a fine score. It's ranked #13 of the 45 TV series this season (not counting "kids" anime or anime under 8 minutes per episode). That puts it in the top 30% which is by no means a bad rank.
May 24, 2016 11:47 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Shomix said:
Glitchytronics said:

If you think there isn't sea of ecchi/harem animes every year then I don't know what to say about it. 7.54 isnt bad score , hut its low for thos type of show. 7.54 is really average on mal, this show might not be the greatest , bit it's not average. Its different . People just like to have one protagonist and that whole story is about him. I think for this type of show, and his quality its a low score. Someone said its predictable ? No shit Sherlock, its about spies that are really good trained, ofcourse they will be kinda OP. Thats what I like about this show.

Out of all the major anime discounting shorts and children anime this season so far there are less only 6-7 ecchi/harem anime series. That is not a "sea".

This series is pretty average. It has some strong points but got counterbalanced out by its utterly disappointing portrayal of spies. For me I was expecting more realism and more thoughts. Unfortunately I got "superspies" instead.

The historical theme is not very unique either. See: http://myanimelist.net/anime/6973/Senkou_no_Night_Raid
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 21, 2016 5:20 AM

Jun 2011
It saddens me to see that it is now in the 7.2 range. It saddens me even more to look at the other thread that tries to "criticise" the show for being different because they don't like it as much as we folks like it. It happens a lot, when people simply praised a series for being good, haters misread it as "this is the second coming of Jesus" or something along the line.

This show is underrated, a breath of fresh air from all the cringeworthy cardboard/archetype copypasta characters that we have nowadays.

p.s. the other thread is cancer.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Dec 20, 2016 6:41 AM

Dec 2010
It's fine honestly, It sold wayy more than most anime that season. At least Japanese seems to love this anime series despite being so underwhelmingly received here at MAL. Also considering very heavy theme and story (not of current anime trend), the fact that it sold so much regardless is quite meaningful.
Dec 28, 2016 6:09 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Yeah, it doesnt maatter personally because at least Japan seems to like it with really solid sales.

Also, its just in, its in second place in the Tokyo Anime Award Festival (just behind yuri on ice)

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/12/28/tokyo-anime-award-festival-announced-top-100-anime-of-2016
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Feb 3, 2017 3:05 PM

Sep 2015
A show like this where a good story, character development and plot twists are its expertise. Most importantly suspense. By turning it in to a episodic; all this is ruined. Too short time for character development. too short of a time for expanding the story. Plot twist need to happen in every short story ending up being over used a predictable. Suspense is lost as a result of over used plot twists.

the way this series was done, it was never suited to be episodic. The first two episode was the best and was very good. I rated it 9 at that point. After that it went down to 6.

The problem is not that it had subplots and no true character. The problem is that none of it ties to each other. They all start and end very quickly. The whole premise where you expect to explore this organization, see various betrayal from home and abroad etc. is all quite literally destroyed.

Then again I only watched up to episode 7 before I gave up. But based on people 8 and 9 gets more interesting, though it seems the plot isn't about international politics and espionage than a pissing contest. that is probably disappointing. I guess if I pick it back up and marathon it, would be best. waiting week for week on something that kept disappointing me was just too much.

Honestly I was defending this show. looked forward to it. But eventually I have to admit it screwed up big time.
zcv45Feb 3, 2017 3:10 PM
Feb 9, 2017 10:23 PM

Dec 2016
I gave it a 7, so I think the rating is appropriate. The setting was something sort-of new and fresh for anime and as a history lover I appreciated it. As you'd expect from an episodic series, certain episodes were much stronger than others. My criticism was that I thought the characters were lackluster and the narrative thrust was a little weak. Still though, good show, 7/10.
Mar 31, 2017 9:37 AM

Mar 2015
OneTrueEmiya said:
And besides, the spies themselves need not be characterised; rather, it is because they don't have a "true" character to them that makes the show so appealing.

This guy gets it. This is a very rare instance where characterization isn't that important, what's more, the lack of characterization fit neatly with the whole spying theme.

I don't think the score is 'low' by MAL standards. It had pros and cons (according to my very subjective opinion, obviously):

PROS:

- Loved the spying themes.
- Beautiful backgrounds.
- Crisp animation.
- Thrilling ride.
- Originality. That show was such a breath of fresh air.

CONS:

- Episodic show. I agree with the majority that thinks an overarching plot could have made the show much, much better.
- In media res type of narration. This may cause the viewer to get confused. When you're immerged on multiple settings / sub-plots in a mere 12-episode series it's hard to keep track of what's happening.
- The 8 MCs look virtually the same. That adds to the confusion.

I'd say the MAL score is fair enough.
Je trempe mes cookies dans tes larmes.
May 16, 2017 3:32 AM
Jul 2018
Japanese TV Program Ranks the Top 100 Anime of All Time
Joker Game has Rank 12:
http://www.anime-now.com/entry/2017/05/11/230002?utm_campaign=ANN

Also, its just in, its in second place in the Tokyo Anime Award Festival (just behind yuri on ice)

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/12/28/tokyo-anime-award-festival-announced-top-100-anime-of-2016

The Japanese seem to like the show. :) This show is underrated.
Apr 15, 2022 5:09 PM
Nov 2019
Ok. I like to jog the the thread a little. The score is definitely low now. There're tons of non deserving bullshit away above it. Some of you might consider rewatching it.
Jul 9, 2022 8:13 AM
Jul 2020
I, too, think it deserves a score much, much higher than its current, of 7,07.

Edit: Woah. It's, actually, lower than that (7,04).
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» novel license

theek1 - Jul 12, 2022

1 by NemuriNezumi »»
Jan 14, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 5, 2016

347 by Samir1237 »»
Apr 22, 2023 7:21 PM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2016

154 by canadianvice »»
Oct 28, 2022 4:17 PM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2016

207 by metawin »»
Aug 6, 2021 9:52 PM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2016

178 by metawin »»
Aug 6, 2021 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.