Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Durarara!! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 14, 2010 11:48 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The headless Rider seems like a good guy by her actions, but there seems to be a dark side to her as well...
I'm amazed how similar the story telling is compared to Baccano! I really liked the style and hope they'll keep it up. I don't think it can match it though.
Jan 14, 2010 1:01 PM

Jan 2010
Haha, yeah. But the opening is a pure rip-off >_>

Episode:
http://www.animebullet.com/durarara-episode-2
Jan 14, 2010 1:02 PM

Jul 2009
Proselyt said:
The headless Rider seems like a good guy by her actions, but there seems to be a dark side to her as well...

In one simple word, anti-hero?

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Jan 14, 2010 1:40 PM

Sep 2007
I waited for the ep all week and now I've finally seen it, I might say I'm surprised.
I haven't expected the plot for the ep to be like that. And I don't see it as similair to Baccano! Since yep, in Baccano! we were shown some random scenes (mostly from the ending) in the beginning, but (if I haven't fogotten Baccano and it's surely is a possibility) there wasn't much retelling the same scenes.

And here... First of all, technically the plot did not advance. The only moments the timeline moved were the moments of introduction of the students. And then was the retelling of what happened before and they actually used some exact footage from the prev.ep. It's not bad since it's connecting the story with what we've seen before, but... I still feel it was a bit of a waste.
Second. We had one character as a center most of the ep, and almost no skipping from one group of characters to another. It was one thing to be like that in the first introductory episode, but now it's a trend.
Third. The episode was almost "closed in itself", like it wasn't part of some great plotline but small story in itself, great story, btw, I'm sure despite my not-very-good japanese and only raw out for now.
Probably it was like a calm before the storm and the main plot coming, but still.

So, we had a story of this girl (Kamichika Rio, if I heard it right and I doubt that), the fact that the Rider is quite probably living with Kishitani Shinra or at least the know each other quite well, that she's quite good and does care for that Rio-chan (and I'm assuming it's quite unselfish kind of care but I totally suck with kanji so waiting for the subs) and we have a proove of Izaya's extremely twisted personality)))))

Most of the time in the rooftop scene I was trying to understand if I think Izaya's a total jerk or not. I haven't decided yet but I think that it a really wicked way he's not too bad since he actually showed that girl a lot and gave her something to think about, he just didn't care to stop her after that. (Than again, subs will show).

I'm still wondering why this girl, Rio, isn't shown in the opening or ending. I don't want her to die and I don't think it'll be it, but she might become rider's head (since it's clearly hinted in the last seconds of the opening), but I don't want that either...

And I know it's crazy and hopeless... But since we're told that Durarara! is a twisted love story, I'm starting to see another pairing there after the ep...))))

Next one is obviously gonna be about Seiji and Anzu trying to find out what happened with her friend (and I have an idea from the manga, if anybody want spoilers...), probably about Namie (his sister) too, and also Heiwajima-kun!!! (I love the fact the kanji in his surname stands for "peace")

Lastly, I'm practically feeling that it's 24 episodes and not 12 from the pace of the ep... But hey, it might be even better this way!)
Jan 14, 2010 5:10 PM

Nov 2007
Miyuki Sawashiro does the narration... is that true in ep. 1 as well (I don't remember)?

Apparently another side and continuous story of ep.1 is what ep.2 is about.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 14, 2010 5:18 PM

Jul 2009
Yep, only her has that kinda unique sexy voice....<3

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Jan 14, 2010 8:22 PM

Feb 2008
Ah, I've been trying to figure out who the narrator was being voiced by. Enjoyed the 2nd ep :D

Concerning Kamichika Rio, she appears briefly in the opening when Simon is introduced. Also at the end of the opening, the head in the jar doesn't seem to look like Rio's in my opinion.
TomoyoSakagami89Jan 14, 2010 8:26 PM
Jan 14, 2010 8:48 PM

Jul 2009
Best anime of the decade came early.

This was an awesome episode! I hope they keep it up!
Jan 14, 2010 9:31 PM

Apr 2009
Izaya, I cant wait to see more.
Jan 14, 2010 9:42 PM

Nov 2006
I LOVE THIS SHOW
Jan 14, 2010 9:42 PM

Jul 2008
Great episode. It really is like Baccano! in the respect that there are a lot of characters, with their own stories, but they all tie in to a bigger story. I like it.

Is the narrator a character or just a narrator?

And is the girl who almost killed herself the same girl that ran away from the two boys in the end of first episode?
Jan 14, 2010 9:43 PM

Jun 2009
I don't care if the OP is almost the same as Baccano's, if the ED is sort of gay, and if the first half of this episode had that Baccano feel, this show is awesome, period. Btw, I find Anri pretty delicious.
Jan 14, 2010 9:47 PM
May 2008
if you really want to know a little of the secret behind some of the characters, you can go on the durarara wikipedia page
Jan 14, 2010 9:50 PM
Mar 2008
More Izaya plz :)
Jan 14, 2010 9:53 PM

Sep 2009
Verdict: Great! I'm a huge fan of Baccano! and I'm very pleased with this show so far. I do see similarities from B! but it's not a complete rip-off (minus the opening, there's no denying that one but It's an awesome style and I wish more shows would do it, but then it'd be common) The story stands great so far. I have this sense that I know what's going on but then again I don't. The plot keeps me on my feet, guessing, predicting, surprising me (I did not expect that she would actually jump in the end. Thank god for the Black Rider). I know that someone before was complaining that the episode mostly focused on one character but B! was the same style. Each episode focuses on one party or character at a time like a piece to a puzzle but the piece start to come together as the episodes progress. The only difference between this and B! is that B! was all within the same time period (aboard the Pussyfoot) but Durarara is on a continuing time line which makes it more interesting. I know this show is going to be one of my favorites of the year already
Jan 14, 2010 9:54 PM

Dec 2009
*sigh* disappointed
Jan 14, 2010 9:56 PM

Jun 2009
WOW this anime is daBOMB
In the forums many people are repeating the anime Baccano? Maybe i should try that out too!
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Jan 14, 2010 9:58 PM

Jul 2009
Nakei said:
Haha, yeah. But the opening is a pure rip-off >_>

It's not a ripoff actually,it's more like a homage to Baccano if you ask me.Beside,the whole staff is the same for this anime & it pretty cool if they use that style on this anime since it resolve many main characters & similar storytelling.

I'm just watching the raw just now,not much I understand anything from this ep,maybe rewatch it after subs out to understand the conversation.Moving on this ep,this ep focus on Rio,the "Miss Magenta" in the 1st ep that was kidnapped by thugs & dealing with her family dilemma (her father cheat her mother) & decided to attempt suicide but stopped by Celty.We finally met Anri,which is Mikado classmate & well-endowed meganekko,Seiji that look mysterious,our vending machine guy Shizuo that seems pissed off with a certain guy,the black market doctor Shinra & lastly the evil information dealer Izaya Orihara & Celty is kinda work for him.

Next ep preview,it looks like interesting thing will happen next week!
Jan 14, 2010 10:08 PM
Aug 2009
This be it.
Jan 14, 2010 10:14 PM

Sep 2007
What an episode. An interesting way to introduce some of the characters and especially the sick and twisted perversions of Izaya. So apparently the biker chick isn't some great solo heroine but actually has accomplices as well. I do wonder why she is working with Izaya though.
Jan 14, 2010 10:17 PM
Nov 2008
Easily the best anime of the season (wich may not say too much considering the other shows are just plain bad/mediocre). At least that's the conclusion i came to after this ep :).
Jan 14, 2010 10:22 PM

Mar 2008
I've been waiting for another show like this
Jan 14, 2010 10:32 PM
Nov 2008
A perfect episode.

A look into the school, a mysterious drop-out, the story of the girl, new characters.

Shizuo.

He's awesome. ^_^
Jan 14, 2010 10:39 PM

Nov 2007
tsubasalover said:
Miyuki Sawashiro does the narration... is that true in ep. 1 as well (I don't remember)?

I didn't recognize her! Though, I did hear Kamiya Hiroshi. Kamiya Hiroshi using Koyomi voice. Lol, when he was playing Koyomi he was doing Zetsubou-sensei voice.

Jan 14, 2010 10:49 PM
Nov 2009
Amazing, I love it. The way the story is presented is awesome. This might just turn out to be the best of the season.
Jan 14, 2010 10:51 PM

Nov 2006
underMebius said:
tsubasalover said:

I didn't recognize her! Though, I did hear Kamiya Hiroshi. Kamiya Hiroshi using Koyomi voice. Lol, when he was playing Koyomi he was doing Zetsubou-sensei voice.
I hear evil Natsume. :x
Jan 14, 2010 10:52 PM

Nov 2009
Fantastic episode. I'm really loving this anime so far.
Jan 14, 2010 11:01 PM

Sep 2009
Detective said:
Best anime of the decade came early.

This was an awesome episode! I hope they keep it up!

This, so far this is amazing. First episode was intriguing, this one definitely clinched my interests and probably will be landing this anime in one of my best-of spots, provided they don't ruin this somehow. Which I'd like to hope not, seeing as they're moving in a wonderful direction with this.

I love Izaya, he's freakin' awesome. Slick little bastard, messing with people's heads. For what? Only because he felt like it. He goes through all that, just for kicks. Dullahan (the biker, I figure that's what they're aiming with the headless biker horsemen theme) is pretty awesome herself. I like her little touch phone too. :D

Easily my favorite anime this season. Can't wait for the next episode.
Jan 14, 2010 11:14 PM

Apr 2008
Man, they're really keeping the Baccano style, from the way they're doing the intros to the intersecting plot threads. I wonder how much of that is really fitting for the source material or if the studio is just forcing it.

Anyway, this was pretty exposition heavy. I mean, it was an interesting subject, but they didn't have to spell everything out so plain. Love Izaya as a character. That kind of emotion play is fascinating to me. Hopefully later episodes won't repeat quite so many scenes or at least give more meaning to their reshowing as the plot develops.

This episode also does a lot more to confirm the reality of the biker's powers. I was a bit iffy when the guy wasn't actually cut by the scythe in the first episode, but that netting had a very physical effect. Curious about the guy in the labcoat.
Jan 14, 2010 11:25 PM

Sep 2009
That was great. I'm really enjoying this series...I think one of the best (if not the best) of the season...at least right now. (I haven't checked out all of the shows this season but I'm looking at a good batch of them)
-Hei- said:
Btw, I find Anri pretty delicious.

I agree with you there...I really love her character design. If the anime world was real life I would instantly fall for her...
Jan 14, 2010 11:59 PM

Nov 2007
I'm loving this, no, I'm loving this lots. Sure the Baccano! style is running rampant all over, but I sure as hell ain't complaining. Love the atmosphere, love the setting, love the characters. Izaya shot right up in my books with his demented, whimsical attitude. We still have a few more characters to introduce but I reckon I'd like them all.

Oh, and is that Yozakura Quartet volume 1 I see in the preview? Walker and his gang seem to be a walking advertisement for all things related to Durarara!!
Jan 15, 2010 12:00 AM

Feb 2008
That ep was a slam freakin dunk.
My rating of the series before this ep was 7, but it was easily jacked up to a 10 for now.

Amazing. I poo'd myself.

Informant is my fave character now.
Jan 15, 2010 12:03 AM
Aug 2009
Hmm, I wonder who that muthafucca was that was staring down Anri..
Jan 15, 2010 12:07 AM

Apr 2007
Great episode~~ I just love it when events are told from a different point of view.
Also can't wait to see more Shizuo :3
Jan 15, 2010 1:13 AM

Jul 2009
BEST SHOW OF 2010 RIGHT HERE BROTHERS.

edit: I hope you all realize that it is the same author as Baccano! and the same studio, so stop acting surprised. :|