Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 »
May 23, 2016 8:31 PM

Nov 2014
fst said:
Must be a wehraboo on the production team who decided to base the reticule off of that used on German WW2 tanks.

Is that a problem?

May 23, 2016 9:10 PM

Mar 2013
ExTamplier said:
fst said:
Must be a wehraboo on the production team who decided to base the reticule off of that used on German WW2 tanks.

Is that a problem?

Slightly.its an anachronism that would fit a dieselpunk show better than a steam punk show.

But mostly I'm just pointing out the similarity
May 23, 2016 9:23 PM

Nov 2014
fst said:
ExTamplier said:
Is that a problem?

Slightly.its an anachronism that would fit a dieselpunk show better than a steam punk show.

huh, interesting

May 23, 2016 11:01 PM
Jul 2018
A lot of facepalm moments in the first half but 2nd half was nice :) The OST started to grow on me.
May 24, 2016 10:25 AM

Jan 2010
Mediocre episode imo, nice flashback for Mumei, it was also nice to see her so vulnerable for a change but Mumei's legs not being crushed was not very believable. The explanation of the Black Smoke is weak and needs to be fleshed out before I can accept it as a viable enemy at this stage it was a poor excuse for a plot device. It's soul purpose was to make the crew work together which they should have learned by now (this was the 6th episode). Also the fact that it left the train alone to consume a minimal amount of Kanabe corpses was too convenient and rather than use the time it was distracted to escape they sit and wait for it...horrible writing. I understand this is a fantasy story but a little too much asspull one after the other is dragging down my enjoyment of this series as a whole. I mean the five people they have on top of the train are all marksman? Yeah right I don't buy it. Art and music are great, character stories are nice but the overall plot is severely lacking and action scenes could be much better (compared to other WIT works). 2/5 for this episode imo.
Proud Administrator of the D Gray Man FC and OnePunch-Man FC

May 24, 2016 10:29 AM

Apr 2008
logic340 said:
Mediocre episode imo, nice flashback for Mumei, it was also nice to see her so vulnerable for a change but Mumei's legs not being crushed was not very believable. The explanation of the Black Smoke is weak and needs to be fleshed out before I can accept it as a viable enemy at this stage it was a poor excuse for a plot device. It's soul purpose was to make the crew work together which they should have learned by now (this was the 6th episode). Also the fact that it left the train alone to consume a minimal amount of Kanabe corpses was too convenient and rather than use the time it was distracted to escape they sit and wait for it...horrible writing. I understand this is a fantasy story but a little too much asspull one after the other is dragging down my enjoyment of this series as a whole. I mean the five people they have on top of the train are all marksman? Yeah right I don't buy it. Art and music are great, character stories are nice but the overall plot is severely lacking and action scenes could be much better (compared to other WIT works). 2/5 for this episode imo.

Oh yes try and leave the station and then once that station was cleared of kabane and people after it got those in the tunnel, it would chase after them. Total Genius indeed.
May 24, 2016 1:40 PM

Jan 2014
fst said:

Hahaha,.. "Dieselpunk", is that a thing now?

So into it!
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
May 24, 2016 1:44 PM
Oct 2015
That train engine that went loose at the end,hope there's a replacement for that.
May 24, 2016 2:54 PM

Apr 2008
Wailord said:
That train engine that went loose at the end,hope there's a replacement for that.

That wasn't an engine thought. It as the car that Mumei and Ikoma were locked in
May 24, 2016 4:17 PM

Nov 2015

I don't get it. I mean, that train fucks the physics laws when it wants. It was going at like... a lot of km/h and it stops in a instant when it gets to that -what i think is- a train repair workshop to protect from the colossal titan giant kabane thing.
Then, in a so confined space, it manages to accelerate to this really high speed so it could smash through the steel gate of the other side... Look, things like this take me out of immersion. I am of those who appreciate the details.

And don't get me started on who Kouma gets bitten every time by the Kanabe but he remains with no chunks left... Oh, but he still has all those leather straps with nails from the first episode for no apparent reason.
May 24, 2016 5:10 PM

Apr 2008
HDarkmantis said:

I don't get it. I mean, that train fucks the physics laws when it wants. It was going at like... a lot of km/h and it stops in a instant when it gets to that -what i think is- a train repair workshop to protect from the colossal titan giant kabane thing.
Then, in a so confined space, it manages to accelerate to this really high speed so it could smash through the steel gate of the other side... Look, things like this take me out of immersion. I am of those who appreciate the details.

And don't get me started on who Kouma gets bitten every time by the Kanabe but he remains with no chunks left... Oh, but he still has all those leather straps with nails from the first episode for no apparent reason.

Says the guy with Stein's Gate in his signature. Double Standard much?
May 24, 2016 5:26 PM

Nov 2015
Darklight0303 said:

I'm sorry but I cannot be offended by that. S;G is a masterpiece =)

Besides, please, don't take me wrong, I enjoyed the episode but that does not mean I'll praise something that is wrong and forcefully faulty. I mean, you just attacked at "the guy with the Steins;Gate signature" without giving a opinion regarding what I original commented. Did the truth hurt?

Again, I appreciate some coherence. If a zombie bites you a chunk, I expect to see a hole in your flesh, but this guy has any.

Greetings, random citizen.
May 24, 2016 5:40 PM

May 2016
HDarkmantis said:
Darklight0303 said:

I'm sorry but I cannot be offended by that. S;G is a masterpiece =)

Besides, please, don't take me wrong, I enjoyed the episode but that does not mean I'll praise something that is wrong and forcefully faulty. I mean, you just attacked at "the guy with the Steins;Gate signature" without giving a opinion regarding what I original commented. Did the truth hurt?

Again, I appreciate some coherence. If a zombie bites you a chunk, I expect to see a hole in your flesh, but this guy has any.

Greetings, random citizen.

Please, both of you, let's leave the master piece out of this before a war escalates......
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
May 24, 2016 6:17 PM
Jul 2018
That train should have derailed immediately when they hit the turn at that speed. But we suspend belief for a good story sometimes so I guess its ok
May 24, 2016 6:51 PM

Jul 2012
HDarkmantis said:

Watch it again. The train was not going so fast that it wouldn't be able to stop in that space. If you pay close attention to the conversation they have afterwards, you'd realize that they DID fall back to gain speed since the Black Smoke was scattered.

Your other complaint is rather confusing, but I'm going to assume it's about Ikoma not having chunks of his flesh ripped out from the recent bites. In the last two episodes almost every bite shown has been on his arm guard, so of course the Kabane would have a hard time biting chunks out. After getting bitten a bunch to protect Mumei he was on the ground for an unknown period of time and we don't know how fast Kabane bodies heal, so...I wouldn't complain about it too much.
May 24, 2016 7:13 PM

May 2016
Phoebe3315 said:
HDarkmantis said:

Watch it again. The train was not going so fast that it wouldn't be able to stop in that space. If you pay close attention to the conversation they have afterwards, you'd realize that they DID fall back to gain speed since the Black Smoke was scattered.

Your other complaint is rather confusing, but I'm going to assume it's about Ikoma not having chunks of his flesh ripped out from the recent bites. In the last two episodes almost every bite shown has been on his arm guard, so of course the Kabane would have a hard time biting chunks out. After getting bitten a bunch to protect Mumei he was on the ground for an unknown period of time and we don't know how fast Kabane bodies heal, so...I wouldn't complain about it too much.

And the strap with Nails is self explanatory. They are freaking NAILS pinned to his own body, pinning those things must have been incredibly painful, removing them must be twice as painful and not worth the trouble.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
May 24, 2016 7:14 PM

Nov 2015
Phoebe3315 said:

Yeah, I though so too but when they used a elevated shot of that scene the workshop did not look that big for them to gain that much speed. Anyway, that was my only complain about the train physics because the fact of them moving to the left of the train to move the center of mass of the train so it does not derail was ok. I mean, I won't do the math and say if it was mathematical posible, but they used the principle well. While pushing the inner wall does not work at all (as some of them where doing) that's something I could see people trying to do.

Regarding the wounds... All the episode I was wondering if he has some healing power, because that would be very useful for someone who uses himself as bait jaja. I think they do, because Mumei had her legs crushed by rocks, but then she ran like nothing. Either that's another failure on the script or they really have some healing capabilities. I'm more inclined to the latter.
May 24, 2016 7:15 PM

Apr 2008
HyperL said:
Phoebe3315 said:

And the strap with Nails is self explanatory. They are freaking NAILS pinned to his own body, pinning those things must have been incredibly painful, removing them must be twice as painful and not worth the trouble.

Technically I think those things are closer to Rivets than simple nails. Which makes it even more painful just on basis of concept
May 24, 2016 7:26 PM

May 2016
HDarkmantis said:
Phoebe3315 said:

Yeah, I though so too but when they used a elevated shot of that scene the workshop did not look that big for them to gain that much speed. Anyway, that was my only complain about the train physics because the fact of them moving to the left of the train to move the center of mass of the train so it does not derail was ok. I mean, I won't do the math and say if it was mathematical posible, but they used the principle well. While pushing the inner wall does not work at all (as some of them where doing) that's something I could see people trying to do.

Regarding the wounds... All the episode I was wondering if he has some healing power, because that would be very useful for someone who uses himself as bait jaja. I think they do, because Mumei had her legs crushed by rocks, but then she ran like nothing. Either that's another failure on the script or they really have some healing capabilities. I'm more inclined to the latter.

They did not need to only use the space inside the "workshop" to gain speed. I already pointed out that possibility in this thread but they could've exit by the other side of the workshop, Them return and gain full speed. If you didn't notice from the elevated shot, the workshop is placed between the inside and the outside of the "fortress", is basically the entrance of the place.
May 24, 2016 7:29 PM

Nov 2015
HyperL said:

They did not need to only use the space inside the "workshop" to gain speed. I already pointed out that possibility in this thread but they could've exit by the other side of the workshop, Them return and gain full speed. If you didn't notice from the elevated shot, the workshop is placed between the inside and the outside of the "fortress", is basically the entrance of the place.

That would be better indeed. I though it was a sealed space, not like the entrance of the "station"/city. Ok ok, that would make it just enough believable. Yes, that would be fine.
May 25, 2016 12:56 AM

Apr 2014
I liked this episode, it almost felt a little rushed imo. They progressed so much with like zero time breakdown. Looking forward to next week.
May 25, 2016 2:10 AM

Jun 2013
Darklight0303 said:
zellami said:
(raw version)

Wow, this episode was an epic fight with the Black Smoke!

The Black Smoke has a heart and at the center is a person (here, a female). Also, Mumei explains that the Black Smoke amasses kabane and people alike (maybe other stuff as well).

Flashbacks of Mumei's past. Like Ikoma, her place was under kabane attack and her mother (who looks like Shino-san), was killed by a frightened Bushi, without even being a kabane. A blurred image of the prospective Ani-sama, who obviously saved Mumei from being killed like her mother.

Mumei reveals that all her comrades have become kabane and this is their eventual demise as Kabaneri.

Everyone works together to defeat the the Black Smoke and pick Ikoma and Mumei back (despite another, yet brief, dispute with the nobles on the train). In the end even the nobles supported the cause and helped rail the train back.

More spotlight for Yukina, Sukari, Takumi, and the Bushi.

Screenshot almost everything :)), but like the scene with Ikoma and Kurusu best!

Awesome Black Smoke:

That giant hand is the stuff of nightmares

Tell me about it...If I saw hand That Big and Full of Zombies I would run away faster than Koutetsujou

Bobby2Hands said:
sleeplesstown said:
This episode had me until the last minute

Like, no

A single train car like that would weigh like 20 tons at the very least

I like that you managed to suspend your disbelief for the giant zombie amalgamation.
But people shifting to one side of train, now that's where you draw the line.

Laws of Psychics people...Until it is competently upturned...AKA Doing Side Wheels, there was a chance that if they get enough mass on the right side they coul make it saty up. It had not yet reached the limit-point where it fould have fallen
JarjaxleMay 25, 2016 2:55 AM
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
May 25, 2016 2:48 AM

Jun 2013
Darklight0303 said:
GD1551 said:

I took some screens and I'm convinced.

If the image tags don't work just go here

http://imgur.com/a/BoVxV

Oh wow you might just be on to something here

Holy S**t! O_O Did not realise it...Thought that Mumei was just shocked to see what will happen to her when she turns or then that kabane was close friend or something...But that Outfit...oh hell..
JarjaxleMay 25, 2016 2:54 AM
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
May 25, 2016 5:57 AM

Feb 2016
The colony/army corpse/black smoke/whatever you call it looks like No Face in Spirited Away when it went berserk xD

I am kind of confused to this point about something. I hope they explain why destroyng the head or cuttng it off is possible as shown by Mumei in earlier episodes and yet they still keep on insisting that the only way to destroy them is to destroy their heart. Can anyone care to explain this?
That feeling when you feel you know the feeling of not feeling any feel at all. Get the feeling?
May 25, 2016 6:00 AM

Apr 2008
DarkAngel035 said:
The colony/army corpse/black smoke/whatever you call it looks like No Face in Spirited Away when it went berserk xD

I am kind of confused to this point about something. I hope they explain why destroyng the head or cuttng it off is possible as shown by Mumei in earlier episodes and yet they still keep on insisting that the only way to destroy them is to destroy their heart. Can anyone care to explain this?

Cause cutting the head still required a Kabaneri's strength. Something average humans don't have. You saw Kurusu in the fight in the train. His sword just BOUNCED off of the Kabane's head instead of cutting it so he had to knock it off the train
May 25, 2016 6:14 AM

Feb 2016
Darklight0303 said:
DarkAngel035 said:

Cause cutting the head still required a Kabaneri's strength. Something average humans don't have. You saw Kurusu in the fight in the train. His sword just BOUNCED off of the Kabane's head instead of cutting it so he had to knock it off the train

Thanks for the info. So basically, it's possible to kill them by blasting their heads off even without destroying their hearts
That feeling when you feel you know the feeling of not feeling any feel at all. Get the feeling?
May 25, 2016 6:16 AM

Apr 2008
DarkAngel035 said:
Darklight0303 said:

Thanks for the info. So basically, it's possible to kill them by blasting their heads off even without destroying their hearts

Yes but you need a bigger blast than a single rifle can punch. I suppose focus firing the head with several rifles would work but that's just not worth it just to kill one Kabane when there's usually an endless supply of them waiting right behind it.
May 25, 2016 8:03 AM

Feb 2016
kamisama751 said:
DarkAngel035 said:

He cut it off though......................................

He did it :0
But when Kurusu tried to cut the head off of that samurai kabane, his sword only sort of bounced back. Now I'm confused. Does that mean ordinary swords would do but not to all kabanes? e_e
May 25, 2016 8:13 AM

May 2016
kamisama751 said:
DarkAngel035 said:

He cut it off though......................................

Right. I think the issue is that cutting a kabane's head requires enough skill with a blade and enough courage/strength of mind to confront kabane's at close range. Only Kurusu and Mumei seem to have that level of skill and strength of mind to be able to do this kind of stuff.

To complement the "strength of mind" part, It is already over-noticed that the averege man from this show tend to "turn their brain off" in the face of danger.
HyperLMay 25, 2016 8:23 AM
May 25, 2016 8:51 AM

May 2016
kamisama751 said:
HyperL said:

Right. I think the issue is that cutting a kabane's head requires enough skill with a blade and enough courage/strength of mind to confront kabane's at close range. Only Kurusu and Mumei seem to have that level of skill and strength of mind to be able to do this kind of stuff.

To complement the "strength of mind" part, It is already over-noticed that the averege man from this show tend to "turn their brain off" in the face of danger.

He cut it off pretty easy so there should be enough skilled Samurais who can also do that. Which they don't imply it after that attack at all. Don't tell me that Kurusu is the "chosen one" out of the normal humans who can do that. That's just a lame excuse.

I don't think he is the "chosen one", but perhaps the one who trained way more than any other and showed results faster......he was the main guardian of the late king and now the guardian of the princess after all. Also, even when there are no such thing as a "chosen", there are is things such as talented and 'more capable', that goes for any field in existance.
HyperLMay 25, 2016 8:56 AM
May 25, 2016 9:53 AM

May 2016
kamisama751 said:
HyperL said:

I don't think he is the "chosen one", but perhaps the one who trained way more than any other and showed results faster......he was the main guardian of the late king and now the guardian of the princess after all. Also, even when there are no such thing as a "chosen", there are is things such as talented and 'more capable', that goes for any field in existance.

You can exlpain why he cut it off easily with your explanation but not that no one else can do that on the train since there should alo be other Samurais who also got training and at least some degree of skill.

That's where the strength of mind (or just plain courage) comes to play. There may be indeed more skilled people in the train, but they're too scared to put their skills to use. As a example, remember that one guy from the first episode of AoT? He had also trained to be a soldier and defend the city, he was most likely skilled, both with the 3D Maneuver Gear and combat, but the moment the first Titan appeared before him he froze, he coudn't confront it and ran for his life.
Now the exact same case seems to occur with, like, every single backgroud units in this anime, leaving only Kurusu, the only strong minded one, to do a competent job.

Now all that i pointed out are a potencial explanation for the lack of Kabane heads being ripped off of their bodies, but a will admit how stupid it is that from a whole army, only ONE samurai can do his job properly, even in AoT there were at least 1 to 5 soldiers that could at least try doing something.
May 25, 2016 10:39 AM

May 2016
kamisama751 said:
HyperL said:

That's where the strength of mind (or just plain courage) comes to play. There may be indeed more skilled people in the train, but they're too scared to put their skills to use. As a example, remember that one guy from the first episode of AoT? He had also trained to be a soldier and defend the city, he was most likely skilled, both with the 3D Maneuver Gear and combat, but the moment the first Titan appeared before him he froze, he coudn't confront it and ran for his life.
Now the exact same case seems to occur with, like, every single backgroud units in this anime, leaving only Kurusu, the only strong minded one, to do a competent job.

Now all that i pointed out are a potencial explanation for the lack of Kabane heads being ripped off of their bodies, but a will admit how stupid it is that from a whole army, only ONE samurai can do his job properly, even in AoT there were at least 1 to 5 soldiers that could at least try doing something.

Oh now you relate this show to Attack on naked people. xP
Other people aren't really that afraid of Kabanes since this will contradict what is shown of them. You can rewatch some episodes and those "soldiers" are shouting Lock on shoujo while also shooting. Giving us the impression that they are able to fight (even with some fear). So I don't find them having no courage.

In Attack on naked people's case... why should I even defend this show? xD

Yes, you see them shooting, you see them fighting from a range. But how many do you see advancing and trying to cut off a kabane head? They know shooting do nothing more than keeping the kabane at bay yet they don't try to kill the kabane which would be the definitive way to solve the problem. And you even said it, they fight with some fear, that fear aggravates as the kabane approaches them, of course they're capable of fighting if the threat is far.

Also, "Oh now you relate this show to Attack on naked people. xP".
LOL, it doesn't matter how much people try to deny it, KnK and AoT have a ton of similarities, not just with character traits, or plot, or the monster enemies, but with the themes and concepts they try to represent in the story as well, like coward and incompetent people.
Heh, even you call the both of them Attack on "Insert pun here".

ALSO, as much as you dislike AoT, my example in particular is not some unrealistic nonsense and have its bits of reality and truth, so you should not disconsider it because it comes from a show you don't like.
HyperLMay 25, 2016 12:35 PM
May 25, 2016 10:57 AM

Sep 2013
Love this anime! No boring episodes since episode 1!
Mumei best grilll!
May 25, 2016 12:35 PM

May 2016
kamisama751 said:
HyperL said:

Yes, you see them shooting, you see them fighting from a range. But how many do you see advancing and trying to cut off a kabane head? They know shooting do nothing more than keeping the kabane at bay yet they don't try to kill the kabane which would be the definitive way to solve the problem. And you even said it, they fight with some fear, that fear aggravates as the kabane approaches them, of course they're capable of fighting if the threat is far.

They don't know that cutting the head off can kill Kabanes before (for plot's sake). So taking they fear so much that they don't even try to advace and kill Kabanes isn't really valid. Having more fear when the enemy is near you is acceptable but considering that they are hired for protecting they should have been already going through some sort of training. Where how to fight in those situations (while having fear) must have been a part of it (it is basic).

HyperL said:

Also, "Oh now you relate this show to Attack on naked people. xP".
LOL, it doesn't matter how much people try to deny it, KnK and AoT have a ton of similarities, not just with character traits, or plot, or the monster enemies, but with the themes and concepts they try to represent in the story, like coward and incompetent people.
Heh, even you call the both of them Attack on "Insert pun here".

I have nothing against that but don't let others like dark*****03 read it.
Wait... let them read it. It means fun for me.

HyperL said:

ALSO, as much as you dislike AoT, my example in particular is not some unrealistic nonsense and have its bits of reality and truth, so you should not disconsider it because it comes from a show you don't like.

Yes, your reasoning is actually quite good but I have just counter-arguments. If I don't consider yours then I would have more likely done the same thing as dark*****03.

If they didn't know they could kill Kabanes by cutting their head off (for plot's sake), then DarkAngel035 first question (which laid the foundation for this whole discussion) is potetially answered.
Why they keep on insisting that the only way to destroy them is to destroy their heart? Because they didn't knew they could just cut their heads off (for plot's sake XD). But, if they didn't knew, that means Kurusu just gambled on the possibility and didn't even reacted when he succeeded.

The fear training part makes sense, i just don't know what kind of training is appropriate to deal with fear problems. A simulation is what comes to mind, but would that have such a positive results in real combat? That's just a minor curiosity though.
HyperLMay 25, 2016 12:42 PM
May 25, 2016 1:34 PM

May 2016
kamisama751 said:
HyperL said:

If they didn't know they could kill Kabanes by cutting their head off (for plot's sake), then DarkAngel035 first question (which laid the foundation for this whole discussion) is potetially answered.
Why they keep on insisting that the only way to destroy them is to destroy their heart? Because they didn't knew they could just cut their heads off (for plot's sake XD). But, if they didn't knew, that means Kurusu just gambled on the possibility and didn't even reacted when he succeeded.

Don't take me wrong. I have just provieded them a little information there, nothing more and don't even interfere them (for plot's sake xD). After that you gave your explanation as why other can't cut the head off so I answered you and the discussion went on.

HyperL said:

The fear training part makes sense, i just don't know what kind of training is appropriate to deal with fear problems. A simulation is what comes to mind, but would that have such a positive results in real combat? That's just a minor curiosity though.

As far as I know, building rage inside the soldiers and teaching them to attack instead of falling back and so on are the mentality training part.

Yeah, thats what i meant XD. I started the discussion, but it was DarkAngel035 question and the few replys that followed it that inspired me to start it.
May 25, 2016 1:39 PM

Jan 2010
Darklight0303 said:
logic340 said:

Oh yes try and leave the station and then once that station was cleared of kabane and people after it got those in the tunnel, it would chase after them. Total Genius indeed.
I see you chose to ignore pretty much my entire post, but I will respond to your one complaint with it. Whether they left the station and had the Black Smoke follow them or wait and have it follow them the writers could have gotten the same thing across. I think it would have been better from a story telling perspective had they tried to escape and it chased them rather than having them wait until it basically saw them again. The scene with the Black Smoke knocking off the last railcar before it was shot with the cannon felt unnecessary imo, not because it didn't add drama but because of how fake it looked. This links back to how I feel about the action sequences, though I know it is fantasy it would be nice if they were more believable (a place AoT excelled at).
Proud Administrator of the D Gray Man FC and OnePunch-Man FC

May 25, 2016 7:37 PM

Jul 2012
logic340 said:
Darklight0303 said:

I see you chose to ignore pretty much my entire post, but I will respond to your one complaint with it. Whether they left the station and had the Black Smoke follow them or wait and have it follow them the writers could have gotten the same thing across. I think it would have been better from a story telling perspective had they tried to escape and it chased them rather than having them wait until it basically saw them again. The scene with the Black Smoke knocking off the last railcar before it was shot with the cannon felt unnecessary imo, not because it didn't add drama but because of how fake it looked. This links back to how I feel about the action sequences, though I know it is fantasy it would be nice if they were more believable (a place AoT excelled at).
I think you're missing the fact that they decided to kill it instead of trying to escape from it. The problem was that a few of the people not fond of Ikoma and Mumei wanted to try getting through and leave without them as the Black Smoke was scattered, which obviously the leader Ayame was opposed to. That's why she said "We cannot just ignore the threat of the Black Smoke. There has to be a better way."
May 25, 2016 9:51 PM

Jul 2012
kamisama751 said:
Phoebe3315 said:
I think you're missing the fact that they decided to kill it instead of trying to escape from it. The problem was that a few of the people not fond of Ikoma and Mumei wanted to try getting through and leave without them as the Black Smoke was scattered, which obviously the leader Ayame was opposed to. That's why she said "We cannot just ignore the threat of the Black Smoke. There has to be a better way."
Better say "We need to find the first". Otherwise they are just there to fight the titan.
If she said that, some people would be angry with her. It makes more sense to devise a way to kill the fused colony which involves rescuing Mumei and Ikoma beforehand. Ayame seems to actually want the fused colony dead anyway. If they ignore it, it could travel to other stations, climb over the wall, and continue causing chaos.
Phoebe3315May 25, 2016 9:56 PM
May 26, 2016 2:01 AM

Apr 2008
Phoebe3315 said:
kamisama751 said:
Better say "We need to find the first". Otherwise they are just there to fight the titan.
If she said that, some people would be angry with her. It makes more sense to devise a way to kill the fused colony which involves rescuing Mumei and Ikoma beforehand. Ayame seems to actually want the fused colony dead anyway. If they ignore it, it could travel to other stations, climb over the wall, and continue causing chaos.

Or it would chase the train since it was clearly fucking fast enough to catch up
May 26, 2016 6:22 AM

Mar 2016
Hold on! What about the people in the train car that got tossed off the rails by the smoke monster? Holy hell! They kind of just glossed over the fact that whoever was inside is probably dead.

This train keeps getting shorter and shorter. By the end of their death march, it'll be all the main characters clinging to the main engine for dear life.
I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!
May 26, 2016 6:41 AM

May 2015
mickyw33 said:
Hold on! What about the people in the train car that got tossed off the rails by the smoke monster? Holy hell! They kind of just glossed over the fact that whoever was inside is probably dead.

This train keeps getting shorter and shorter. By the end of their death march, it'll be all the main characters clinging to the main engine for dear life.
There were no people on in that car at that moment. It was the private car of mumei and ikoma. The issue with that scene is not the absence of people but how the train wasn't affected by the side push of a rear car since they are attached one another. It could have easily caused a derail of the train by chain effect.
zalMay 26, 2016 6:45 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2016 6:45 AM

Mar 2016

Don't worry, they will just switch to a better one like this:

By the way don't forget to push the train from the inside 'cause this one can derail very easily. ;)

Hahaha, I wonder how Thomas would have dealt with the smoke monster. Would have made for a thrilling episode. ^_^
May 26, 2016 6:47 AM

Mar 2016
zal said:
mickyw33 said:

There were no people on in that car at that moment. It was the private car of mumei and ikoma. The issue with that scene is not the absence of people but how the train wasn't affected by the side push of a rear car since they are attached one another. It could have easily caused a derail of the train by chain effect.

Huh, I missed that. Too wrapped up with the music stirring my emotions while characters do bad ass things.

Ya, somehow that monster managed to snap that car clean without affecting the rest of the train. Whew, good deal though. This series would've been a lot shorter otherwise.
May 26, 2016 6:16 PM

Jun 2013
Really good episode, I'm really loving Mumeis development in the last few episodes
May 27, 2016 10:40 AM
Nov 2014
[quote=zal message=46119152]
StevePen387 said:
zal said:
I ignored it because you are taking that point too seriously for me. I laughed when I saw it because it seemed absurd to me, that's it. I didn't make a big fuss of it, or so I think. You can find 100 reason to make it make sense but won't change my reaction.

To Zal and Thug- I think a scientifically viable theory other than supernatural "stickiness" is the iron in the bodies of the kabane- we know the heart is iron and I am guessing the glowing veins/lines all over the bodies are also some metal material. Electromagnetic forces emanating from the main heart (blue kabane) could also control on a magnetic level from one kabane to the next, creating a sort of octopus like structure- this would not need bones or strong muscles, just a whole lot of connecting tissue that can also act as muscle tissue like an octopus.

This also explains why the cannon is able to blow off a chunk of the dead kabane at a time- by breaking the magnetic chain from a certain point of connection, and the kabane from that point to the outermost kabane then lose charge and fall off from the main body, and with no charge they also "unstick" from each other body as well. (Because maybe I am wrong and misheard- but isn't the shadow monster made of dead kabane that it consumes? Or maybe it doesn't kill and just absorbs them alive? I am guessing the people it eats is for blood and nutrition, not to be added as new "muscle tissue")

Let me know if that makes any sense lol.
The question is, do humans have enough iron in their body to achieve that? In the blood there's around 5/6 grams but if used I assume the Kabane would die.

I forgot about that part- that the dead humans would not be converted at the time? Or maybe they still can after death? Anyway nothing we can no for certain, but I do think that humans can still carry an electric charge, and if not enough to magnetize them, they could always transfer the charge to the kabane next to them, basically sandwiching any non-magnetized humans between kabane, but this would only work in the very thick areas(chest, core etc.) of the beast(Perhaps they keep dead humans in the "stomach" area to replenish on blood?
@Thug_Gou that one that yelled wasn't the only one to push. Those that pushed the beds were fine though.
May 27, 2016 11:19 AM
Nov 2014
zellami said:
StevePen387 said:

Yes this is not the entirety of what I meant however- I did indeed notice the maps were the same- which is why the crossing in the beginning of Ep. 6 seems like an impossible crossing. They are running back to the initial gatehouse(quarantine zone) from the area in the track where they stopped because the rubble was still in the way- from this point there should only be one crossing from what I can see on the way back to the quarantine zone and based on the overhead shots- and that crossing in about the direction 180 degrees opposite of where the crane is facing, on the map and in reality. However, that crossing seems to be oriented in the opposite direction of the one shown in the beginning escape scene in Ep. 6, making it only assesible when coming from initial gatehouse they entered, on the way to where the rubble is(The route to the other gatehouse). The way it is shown in Ep. 6 is showing a crossing where they can go left and right and they choose right, I am assuming right to continue taking the loop to the first gatehouse when they are reversing at full speed to escape the shadow monster.

It is really not a big deal just something I noticed based on the map I saw in previous ep. and this one- I couldn't find that same crossing in the overhead shots. The crossing appears to be possible if we look at a the purple lines on the map showing a crossing right near the first gatehouse- but that does not exist in all the other scenes and overhead shots, and only the crossing I was speaking of, at 3 o clock if the crane is facing at about 9 o clock if we were to call the second gate or escape gatehouse they need to get to as 12 o clock.

The other issue main issue was how ridiculously long they seemed to take to get from where the rubble had been to the gatehouse they needed to escape to in the end of the episode- based on track width, train height vs. characters etc., and track width vs distance needed to travel, it is quite obvious that action scene realistically would only last 15-25 seconds max at the speeds they were traveling.

Honestly no worries if nobody noticed this, just something weird I noticed and curious if others did as well.

You are actually right - the crane should have faced them in the beginning of episode 5 and not to point on the opposite direction. It creates the impression they made the entrance from the same point they exited in episode 6. After this shot, the crane actually points in the right the direction, but not before they entered the station.

If you look at the map, the crossing are actually two - according the map and according episode 5. There's one shot however that suggests the crossing for the small loop is way below, while they should be approximately at the same level. When the crossings are shown closely, we can see them clearly. but some of the perspectives could be misleading indeed.

Honestly, I don't how much time it should take for a steam train to escape backwards, but it's acceptable to assume they barely made it, as shown in the anime.

In the previous episode, they took the big loop at the first crossing, circled the station on the highest wall, passed over the (their) exit gate (no crossings there) and stopped on the other side, next to the boiler room and the crane paths. Ikoma, the bushi, and Mumei got off.

Then the train continued on the wall following the loop (the big and the small loops are side by side at this point, but not connected). If Ikoma and the others had succeeded in moving the watchtower, the train would have been in position for a quick escape after they board.

However, they were forced to move backwards because of the Black Smoke and the tower still on the rails, so Yukina drove back the train trough the high-wall crossing and behind the gate.
From there, when the tower was eventually moved, it was almost a straight flight to the exit.

Anyway, the crossings are two (not one) and better seen in episode 6.

I think this a better picture for the second crossing:

Wow thanks for the pictures! If that is indeed the crossing that is shown (Right below where the guy's finger is pointing in the first picture) Then that explains the crossing! I looked and looked but did not find any crossings that were oriented in such a way! Was that in Ep.5 by any chance? The reason that I believed it didn't exist even more because just like the stupid length of the final escape scene, the scene just seemed a bit to long to actually be a crossing at that specific point but again that is just subjective anime time or can be explained as such. Wow thank you for pointing that out, after a week you were one of the few people to even understand my question, and the only one to show what I missed! Cheers bud
May 27, 2016 11:34 AM
Nov 2014
zellami said:
StevePen387 said:

Yes this is not the entirety of what I meant however- I did indeed notice the maps were the same- which is why the crossing in the beginning of Ep. 6 seems like an impossible crossing. They are running back to the initial gatehouse(quarantine zone) from the area in the track where they stopped because the rubble was still in the way- from this point there should only be one crossing from what I can see on the way back to the quarantine zone and based on the overhead shots- and that crossing in about the direction 180 degrees opposite of where the crane is facing, on the map and in reality. However, that crossing seems to be oriented in the opposite direction of the one shown in the beginning escape scene in Ep. 6, making it only assesible when coming from initial gatehouse they entered, on the way to where the rubble is(The route to the other gatehouse). The way it is shown in Ep. 6 is showing a crossing where they can go left and right and they choose right, I am assuming right to continue taking the loop to the first gatehouse when they are reversing at full speed to escape the shadow monster.

It is really not a big deal just something I noticed based on the map I saw in previous ep. and this one- I couldn't find that same crossing in the overhead shots. The crossing appears to be possible if we look at a the purple lines on the map showing a crossing right near the first gatehouse- but that does not exist in all the other scenes and overhead shots, and only the crossing I was speaking of, at 3 o clock if the crane is facing at about 9 o clock if we were to call the second gate or escape gatehouse they need to get to as 12 o clock.

The other issue main issue was how ridiculously long they seemed to take to get from where the rubble had been to the gatehouse they needed to escape to in the end of the episode- based on track width, train height vs. characters etc., and track width vs distance needed to travel, it is quite obvious that action scene realistically would only last 15-25 seconds max at the speeds they were traveling.

Honestly no worries if nobody noticed this, just something weird I noticed and curious if others did as well.

You are actually right - the crane should have faced them in the beginning of episode 5 and not to point on the opposite direction. It creates the impression they made the entrance from the same point they exited in episode 6. After this shot, the crane actually points in the right the direction, but not before they entered the station.

If you look at the map, the crossing are actually two - according the map and according episode 5. There's one shot however that suggests the crossing for the small loop is way below, while they should be approximately at the same level. When the crossings are shown closely, we can see them clearly. but some of the perspectives could be misleading indeed.

Honestly, I don't how much time it should take for a steam train to escape backwards, but it's acceptable to assume they barely made it, as shown in the anime.

In the previous episode, they took the big loop at the first crossing, circled the station on the highest wall, passed over the (their) exit gate (no crossings there) and stopped on the other side, next to the boiler room and the crane paths. Ikoma, the bushi, and Mumei got off.

Then the train continued on the wall following the loop (the big and the small loops are side by side at this point, but not connected). If Ikoma and the others had succeeded in moving the watchtower, the train would have been in position for a quick escape after they board.

However, they were forced to move backwards because of the Black Smoke and the tower still on the rails, so Yukina drove back the train trough the high-wall crossing and behind the gate.
From there, when the tower was eventually moved, it was almost a straight flight to the exit.

Anyway, the crossings are two (not one) and better seen in episode 6.

I think this a better picture for the second crossing:

Ah man actually I mistook that picture for the crossing I was talking about but that crossing if you examine the walkways and water tower(There is squares on the map showing them) points to the crossing That connects the outer loop to that inner loop that leads to nowhere essentially but down to the bottom. On the picture of the map you showed, it would be towards the bottom right of that map, the crossing more towards the crane but still at south east if the top of the map is north. So yes counting that one there are now two crossings, but I think the one both you and I meant is the crossing that is supposed to exist directly below his finger, in purple.
It offers a very nice shortcut from one gate to the next, bypassing the majority or almost all of the loop. The mystery still remains, what is that faithful purple line assumed to be another track? The second picture you showed shows the track directly to the south of the crane(Again if north is up on the map) which is not the highest track but the track which loops around 1 time on its way to the rubble/escape gate. The crossing we see there is the crossing that connects the inner core(That leads to the ground) To the track that connects again to the outer loop. In this case still, the escape scene in the beginning of episode 6 means that they took a right when traveling backwards- from where they were on the track this would be impossible unless that purple colored crossing actually exists, as the only option to turn right at a crossing would have been on the journey around the loop in the opposite direction(From the entrance gate to the rubble/exit gate) and would only lead to the inside core that can only spiral further down towards the ground.
As they were traveling back Up the loop, this could not work and the right hand turn could only happen again with that missing purple colored crossing that I could not find in any of the overview shots! Thanks for the pictures though, for a second I thought the picture you took was indeed that mystical purple crossing but from further inspection(The walkway, the water tower, and the angles at which the tracks were at) made me question yet again lol. It could be they just never showed another shot of this shortcut crossing, and the other animators forgot it existed? Lol or they added in into the map animations which would be quite simple fixes after the fact or wanting a cool shortcut scene to kickoff the episode as it would speed up the time needed to escape back to the first gate saving time for the episode, but could not add all the fixes to the actual overhead views after the fact? Just seems like a super silly mistake, but I truly do appreciate the help in trying to decode this.
May 28, 2016 1:34 AM

Jun 2013
The fighting scenes are quite intense!

The "Ikoma x Mumei" ship is real. ♥
May 28, 2016 6:49 AM
Dec 2015
zal said:
bastek66 said:

Good that it was done properly here.
How was it done properly?

Because it's natural in this extreme situation to try to lean on right side as much as they can so obviously they needed to glue to walls.
He is mentioning the fact that they push the train from inside which is laughable not the fact that they moved on the side of the train which kinda makes sense.

FallIntoDespair said:
Yet again another amazing episode! Really loving this series! It seems like there may be a possible romance between ikoma and mumei which would be awesome! But of course this series is action highlighted so I don't expect it to be heavy on any romance! Hope this will be a 24/25 episode season like attack on titan
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1512510 12 episodes confirmed. Also Ikoma is 17 and Mumei 12, a relationship between them would create some backlash. More likely Ikoma will get Ayame.

Ohh didnt know that age difference hahaha well then yeah ayame would be awesome (:
May 28, 2016 11:52 AM
Oct 2014
I think I shrinked my balls.
Pages (11) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2016

790 by wallus81 »»
Yesterday, 1:58 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2016

932 by wallus81 »»
Apr 20, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2016

524 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 1, 8:22 PM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2016

367 by FedeMetal »»
Mar 30, 11:21 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2016

616 by Garrett_Dark »»
Mar 10, 11:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.