Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2010 11:49 AM

Oct 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
And that was the end of that story arc. Quite a finish. :3 I thought Kei and Flair would have a showdown, but Flair turned good in the end which was nice.
Apr 19, 2019 10:26 PM

Aug 2015
Man, what was with Waldes' eyes turning red and then decideing to start nuclear armageddon-and the howling demon in the explosion of Siren? The crime syndicate Lucifer wasn't actually run by Lucifer, was it? lol a little odd thing there...

So, what to say about Flash? There is a lot to like about it- it's frequently humorous like the original (though the Cold War black comedy of accidental megadeath has been dropped); it's beautifully animated, and the grittier setting and a single coherent story arc are enjoyable departures from the 80s anime. The world of Flash is one that still sees the scars of a devastating past war and economic disaster around it, echoing the beginning of the Lost Decade in Japan.

Unfortunately, where Flash drops the ball is the re-characterizations of Kei and Yuri, with their outward appearances used to give them 'types' that are taken to the extreme. Yuri has suffered the most in becoming a kind of 'Valley girl' type based on her appearance as the stereotypically 'female' one, when the original Yuri is far less sentimental than the original Kei (who often dressed in men's clothes). I have to admit I do like delinquent Kei fwiw. What I don't really like is that the Flash pair really are incompetent due to their actual antagonism with each other and personality defects that make you wonder how they actually got the job. That is eventually resolved over the course of the story arc, which one the one hand makes it satisfying to watch, but it's not as enjoyable to me as the metaphor of the original competent and (mostly) professional Dirty Pair being held accountable unfairly for things that are (usually) not their fault. Sunrise knows the difference in what they've made too, and that's why they bother to kill off the original Dirty Pair on-screen (something I don't think I liked seeing) through Molly (Yuri) and Iris (Kei).
At least it made for an interesting subplot through Lady Flair and Kei's obsession with her, though I can't really see any similarities between Kei and Flair, which seems like something Sunrise might have tried to do.

Overall, it feels like a 3 hour action movie and it was pretty enjoyable to me. Though there are things I like about it, it's not as good as the original. In a way, I think Panty and Stocking is a more successful execution of the Flash concept simply by being original characters.
glassknucklesApr 19, 2019 10:45 PM
Oct 6, 2019 11:10 AM

Apr 2014
this first part of flash was good but gotta say unlike the original i really didnt like kei as much at least in this first part

as Yuri imo carried this first part i love Yuri in flash

but yeah its was a good first part see what part 2 have to offer
"one step at a time"
Nov 14, 2019 10:25 AM

Aug 2012
It took me awhile to get into Flash, or should I say adjust from the original style and characters.

Perhaps not helped by the fact that the actresses playing Kei and Yuri in both the ADV English Dub and the original Japanese are not that great or at least at first they are quite jarring. Much more childlike sounding for Yuri and tomboy or just straight up young boy sounding for Kei. But I got into it eventually.

I thought the new artstyle was actually quite nice, it's very 90's but that was kinda the point. The animation was really great throughout this first arc of the OVA. Definitely seeing the benefits of beautiful cel animation in it's last few years of use. So very beautiful.

Story was pretty good in the end, I liked the episodic nature of each episode but the whole OVA having an actual through line and story too. Worked really well.

Looking forward to making my way through the rest now.
Feb 14, 2:07 PM
Feb 2022
It was good overall, but not at the level of the original so far. I prefer the one history per episode for Dirty Pair.Iris was the best character of this season.

Spanish translation:
Estuvo bueno, pero no al nivel del original hasta ahora. Prefiero una historia por episodio para Dirty Pair. Iris fue el mejor personaje de la temporada.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dirty Pair Flash Episode 5 Discussion

AugmentedTurnip - Jan 9, 2010

1 by BlaizeV »»
Nov 14, 2019 10:24 AM

Poll: » Dirty Pair Flash Episode 3 Discussion

AugmentedTurnip - Jan 5, 2010

2 by DazeFire »»
Jul 10, 2019 4:15 PM

Poll: » Dirty Pair Flash Episode 1 Discussion

AugmentedTurnip - Jan 3, 2010

1 by Tenth »»
Feb 18, 2016 7:59 PM

Poll: » Dirty Pair Flash Episode 2 Discussion

AugmentedTurnip - Jan 4, 2010

1 by Hawksman »»
Mar 26, 2013 5:24 PM

Poll: » Dirty Pair Flash Episode 4 Discussion

AugmentedTurnip - Jan 9, 2010

0 by AugmentedTurnip »»
Jan 9, 2010 7:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.