Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 20, 2015 1:20 PM

Sep 2014
Does "unconditional love" exist?
The kind of love where someone "loves" you no matter what, even if you turn out to be a homicidal, kleptomaniac neo-nazi serial killer, or something.
Does this kind of "love" really exist? I often hear about parents loving their children "unconditionally", at least in an idealistic sense.

What do you guys, girls and non-gender specific people think?

Converse.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 20, 2015 1:23 PM

Mar 2012
unconditional love is when oranges are my favourite food even eating them gives me a tummy ache
Nov 20, 2015 1:23 PM

May 2014
I don't know but I believe in unconditional regret.
I've been here way too long...
Nov 20, 2015 1:25 PM

Aug 2013
Gods love, heathens.
Nov 20, 2015 1:26 PM

May 2015
Yes. The power of love is too strong.
Nov 20, 2015 1:27 PM

Apr 2015
Bonnie and Clyde say yes.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Nov 20, 2015 1:28 PM

Oct 2012
That doesn't exist.
Nov 20, 2015 1:29 PM

Feb 2014
i dont believe so.
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Nov 20, 2015 1:32 PM

Sep 2012
Unconditional love just means you don't actually matter. They don't love you, because "you" (your actions, personality, literally any trait you have) aren't important.

That doesn't actually exist, but the idea of it being some sort of romantic ideal is kind of bizarre to me.
Nov 20, 2015 1:35 PM

Apr 2009
of course it exist, a lot of parents love their children unconditionally. i think my grandma loved my grandpa unconditionally too though it's rare in romantic relationships
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Nov 20, 2015 1:50 PM

Oct 2010
it doesn't exist because theres no such thing as unconditional

"unconditional love towards kids" - they are your kids - thats a condition isn't it?

being smart or the way you are is also a condition

lots of music -
Nov 20, 2015 1:52 PM

Sep 2014
Pacifica_Ocean said:
Gods love, heathens.

God has forsaken me.
Nov 20, 2015 1:55 PM

Feb 2010
would be nice if someone loved my like this, dont know if it exists
Nov 20, 2015 2:03 PM
Oct 2014
Absolutely. There are people I would love even if they turned out to be the threat of our existence, and I would have to become their enemy and fight against them. I would still feel sad and unhappy if I won.

Nov 20, 2015 2:18 PM

Jan 2013
From what I've seen, only from those that have emotional or mental issues. And they are likely better people for it in an odd way where normality is the real issue.
Nov 20, 2015 2:46 PM

Sep 2014
Rarusu_ said:
Absolutely. There are people I would love even if they turned out to be the threat of our existence, and I would have to become their enemy and fight against them. I would still feel sad and unhappy if I won.

What if Comic_Sans turns out to be a threat to our existence?
Nov 20, 2015 2:48 PM

Jan 2014
"God loves, man hates" An apt X-men title.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 20, 2015 3:01 PM

May 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:
Rarusu_ said:

Purely belta.
Nov 20, 2015 3:24 PM

Sep 2014
RedArmyShogun said:
From what I've seen, only from those that have emotional or mental issues. And they are likely better people for it in an odd way where normality is the real issue.

This actually seems very likely to me. I'm not sure if "sane" people would be able to love unconditionally, to be brutally honest.
Nov 20, 2015 3:45 PM
May 2015
I'd like to think that it can.
Nov 20, 2015 3:49 PM
Oct 2014
SnugglyWhuggly said:
Rarusu_ said:

I would volunteer and take her down with an evil smile

Nov 20, 2015 4:01 PM

Sep 2014
Rarusu_ said:
SnugglyWhuggly said:

I would volunteer and take her down with an evil smile

Could I join in? :)
Nov 20, 2015 4:15 PM

Jan 2014
Nes?
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Nov 20, 2015 4:16 PM

Sep 2014
ThrashMatto said:
Nes?

I see, you love Nes now instead of me... :c
Nov 20, 2015 4:16 PM
Mar 2013
Of course! Look at me and my waifu
Nov 20, 2015 4:20 PM

Jan 2014
SnugglyWhuggly said:
ThrashMatto said:
Nes?

of course, the NES is my next "victim", as you put it.
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Nov 20, 2015 4:21 PM

Sep 2014
ThrashMatto said:
SnugglyWhuggly said:

Are you eyeing up the PS2 as your next "victim", you cruel, heartbreaking bastard you? :c
Nov 20, 2015 4:21 PM

Sep 2013
No, unconditional love doesn't exist.
Signature removed. Bro, can you please follow the signature rules? How many times do I have to tell you, 300kb MAX. You know we don't have the server space for your giant ass gifs. Site & Forum Guidelines (read them dumbass).
Nov 20, 2015 4:24 PM

Jan 2014
SnugglyWhuggly said:
ThrashMatto said:

Are you eyeing up the PS2 as your next "victim", you cruel, heartbreaking bastard you? :c
Dat dick disk drive though.
I love Christine

Nov 20, 2015 4:26 PM

Sep 2014
ThrashMatto said:
SnugglyWhuggly said:

Dat dick disk drive though.

Yeah, that crappy disk drive that would always break was really something...
Nov 20, 2015 4:29 PM

Jul 2015
Nov 20, 2015 4:46 PM

May 2014
I think this unconditional thing lies root with parent and child relationships

and that a lot of parents out there would say unconditional love, even if that's untrue. Sure, I bet most parents would die for their kids. Although the thought of either of my parents dying is mentally detrimental, if an actual scenario played out I would say that either would put their lives on the line for the sake of me, or my siblings, safety. But there is an infinite number of possibilities of things that could happen. Some parents out there will live their entire lives loving their children, either because it is true unconditional love or a situation that made them doubt their love never arised, while it is becoming more and more apparent in this day and age that this is not the case in most families. Sure, there are parents out there that would do anything for their children, and in some cases vise versa. But it's probably just a rare occurrence that most of us will likely never experience, even if we think that we do love people, or are loved, unconditionally.
Nov 20, 2015 4:49 PM

Dec 2014
Anna_Cats said:
I'd like to think that it can.
Nov 20, 2015 4:53 PM

Oct 2015
I don't personally know how to answer that. I want to believe so but I haven't found anyone I've felt that way for as of yet.
Nov 20, 2015 5:09 PM

Apr 2015
I don't think so, i mean, if someone "loves" you no matter how you are or what you've done in your life, maybe is just a dependence and it's not love at all, at least non in a romantic way. Anyway it could be a kind of twisted love, maybe..

Nov 20, 2015 5:48 PM
Jul 2015
Pacifica_Ocean said:
Gods love, heathens.
Nov 20, 2015 6:11 PM

Aug 2010
Yea it does. Btw love doesn't mean you simply put up with or ignore anything and everything they do even when they go really down the road. That's not love, that's apathy. Love means you got to try to help them, try to change them and stop them if you must.
Nov 20, 2015 6:16 PM

Jul 2013
I love uncoditionally. Maybe I'm an idiot. Well, whatever.
Nov 20, 2015 6:17 PM

May 2012
Sooul-Master said:

u luv call of duty?
Nov 20, 2015 6:56 PM
Jul 2018
At first, I thought that it didn't exist, but after saw my best friend ran away from his home with his little sister because they did a taboo thing (incest), their dedication of love without concerning social status changed my view. The other story is my friend who dropped out from school, but his girlfriend follows him, she said that she would follow him untill death apart them. Currently, I don't know where are they, but hope they have a good time.

In short, it does exist, but not all loves are unconditional.
Nov 20, 2015 6:57 PM
Jul 2018
SnugglyWhuggly said:
Does "unconditional love" exist?
The kind of love where someone "loves" you no matter what, even if you turn out to be a homicidal, kleptomaniac neo-nazi serial killer, or something.
Does this kind of "love" really exist?.

No.
Nov 20, 2015 7:01 PM

Jan 2014
I'm sure someone out there does.

Nov 20, 2015 7:21 PM

Jul 2014
It probably exists, it's just not for everyone.
Nov 20, 2015 7:34 PM

Jul 2013
PoeticJustice said:
Sooul-Master said:

u luv call of duty?

Son of a bitch caught me
Nov 20, 2015 7:42 PM

Jun 2015
A lot of parents love their children unconditionally. Even when the kid commits an atrocity, the parent doesn't stop loving their child. They hate the situation, not the child.

I guess you could say that's not really unconditionally love, though. There is the condition that they are the parent's child lol.

Also, I guess ideally Christians are supposed to "love thy neighbor" as they love themselves, and hate the sin, not the sinner, though we see how that works out.
codyNov 20, 2015 7:46 PM

Nov 20, 2015 7:52 PM
Jul 2018
No.
Nov 20, 2015 7:53 PM

Mar 2008
Unconditional love also means to not wanting anything in return from the person loved for the love. It is rare but it exists. There are conditions but those are unavoidable conditions such as the enjoyment of loving, or the desire to love being the condition.

I am pretty tired of the whole " everyone is selfish", "everyone is shallow" , "all love is conditional" mentality that MAL has. Its like everyone wants to go out of their way to make words meaningless.
Nov 20, 2015 8:19 PM

Mar 2008
Bernkastel said:
traed said:
I am pretty tired of the whole " everyone is selfish", "everyone is shallow" , "all love is conditional" mentality that MAL has. Its like everyone wants to go out of their way to make words meaningless.

Unconditional love is among the most meaningless words to express. A love that is unconditional is universal, while love is supposed to be unique. If a person truly unconditionally loves all, then the word love holds no meaning for them. It's no different to a man who proclaims that all in the world is Art; we can safely conclude such a person does not see Art at all.
To some extent but it holds meaning in the context of comparison with and understanding the concept of the lack of love. The variety of types of love to express helps keep certain loves meaningful if such a person were to hold that variety. However yes the universal love no longer would mean the same for them but it is not meaningless as others can also see meaning in it. The love given by someone who gives a universal love to all does hold less meaning to a person than being loved by a person who rarely loves but there still remains the meaning in there being such a person capable of universal love. However if all people alive had always been giving universal unconditional love that is when it becomes meaningless because it becomes incomprehensible from the lack of comparison.
Nov 20, 2015 8:28 PM

Mar 2008
That is implying love has an objective meaning though. Some definitions of love even say love is a word that is hard to define with words alone. Who is to have the authority to say someone who loves all does not know what love is? It is at least love in some way to them.
Nov 20, 2015 8:33 PM

Mar 2008
But its not truly universal if its just one person expressing it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Are you going to apologize?

LenRea - Mar 25

27 by cody »»
2 minutes ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - 18 minutes ago

0 by Thy-Veseveia »»
18 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

24 by DreamWindow »»
24 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

41 by Merve2Love »»
1 hour ago

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

27 by Rhaelynne »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.