Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 27, 2015 8:54 AM

Oct 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
And so we reach the halfway point of Ash's adventures in Kalos.

Without a doubt though, this has to be one of the best Gym Battles in the entirety of the anime. Ash was cool, calm, collected and managed to provide a strategy for pretty much anything that Olympia threw at him.

Also, that Dragon Ball Z reference with Frogadier and Ash-Greninja was hands down the best thing I've seen in XY so far.

Here's to XY&Z!

W.A.I.F.U = Women. Are. Imaginary. For. Us.
Oct 29, 2015 7:02 AM
Oct 2014
After seeing the new opening, I knew they were going to do it eventually. If anyone recalls, Frogadier and Groyvle developed a rivalry with one another. I mentioned it before in another discussion, but I bet that one of the reasons why the creators gave Greninja this "new form" was that so it would look more "equal ground and more rival-like" with Sawyer's Sceptile. It would look more one-sided and kinda un-rival like if Sceptile can Mega evolve and Greninja can't do something as cool or on par (since the creators don't seem to have any intentions of giving Ash Mega Evolution). Having a normal/plain Greninja with no "specialty powers" be on par with a MEGA Sceptile wouldn't feel right (or so Pikachu power-like and kinda insulting to Mega Evolution).

In strange way, the same could apply to how maybe Ash's Greninja (with its new form) will also fight Alain's Mega Charizard X.
Oct 30, 2015 9:15 PM

Jul 2014
that father-son kamehameha
Oct 30, 2015 9:32 PM

Feb 2014
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that gym battle was amazing. I love how much Ash has improved and he actually battled pretty smart! Lol i thought frogadier was gonna evolve while it was blocking that psyshock but oh well, its bound to happen soon enough with next season just around the corner. btw.

NEXT SEASON LOOKS HYPE AF HOLY TITS
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists
Oct 30, 2015 9:46 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
More like Gohan vs Cell reference here. Also Pikachu pulling a Goku, by that I mean in that OVA episode where Goku and friends faced that Hatyiak dude. Goku counted the charge up and in here Pikachu counted the time it took for Future Sight to hit.

Best Pokemon battle. True team work right there. Pretty clever by Ash to use Future Sight against Meowstetic and literally throw them into the attack.

Ending credits trailer, oh boy. Was that Volcanion battling someone?

Team Flare makes their debut. I'm looking forward to Alan vs Ash.

Oct 30, 2015 10:01 PM

Aug 2008
Great gym battle. So excited for next episode. Alan and Ash finally. Been waiting.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Oct 30, 2015 11:39 PM

Aug 2013
Holy f*ck!!!

That gym battle is without a doubt my absolute favourite. Ash finally shows his expertise, never before has he displayed this much poise. It was simply incredible in every aspect, haven't gotten this hyped since his gym battle with Citron.

Dat Father-Son Kamehameha was definitely amazing lmao.

XY&Z is already going to be amazing, Vs. Alan, let's go!!
Oct 31, 2015 2:03 AM

Jan 2013
That was one nice gym battle. XY is the best season so far, hands down.
Oct 31, 2015 4:22 AM
Jul 2015
Lol i came here to mention father son Kamehameha looks like there was no need.
Oct 31, 2015 10:55 AM

Aug 2014
Intense battle! Took almost the whole episode!
Pokemon in Double battles sure can take more damage than in Singles.

Dem Dragon Ball vibes in that Psyshock VS Water Pulse at the end of the battle. Pokemon 2015!!

Oh man, the preview! Pokemon never failed to make me hype with only by showing that single preview!
Oct 31, 2015 9:47 PM

Jan 2013
that gym battle was quite stellar.

Much better than the previous fairy one. Loved the team synergy and tactics
Oct 31, 2015 11:13 PM

Oct 2014
I loved this gym battle. Talonflame and Frogadier helping each other out in the fight? The two meowstic working together, (male on support, female on offense, which is accurate according to the games)? This battle felt fair. Ash wasn't struggling because he was making dumb mistakes, his opponents had great teamwork and he had to counter it with even greater teamwork. I especially like how psychic was used to affect the meowstic's attacks. I've never liked how it can control the opposing pokemon. How can you fight if you can't move your own body? But these pokemon used it in a way that felt balanced.

Also, I didn't think Prankster would have been mentioned because it seemed too "meta", but that was a great application of the ability.

All in all, a satisfying battle. I was disappointed that Frogadier didn't evolve, but that just means waiting until XY & Z.
Nov 1, 2015 3:28 PM

Jun 2014
People say Pokemon is shit?

They haven't seen XY.
Nov 1, 2015 3:40 PM

Oct 2014
A lot of fanservice on this one.
Nov 2, 2015 2:35 AM

Apr 2014
Well shit, that was pretty slick. Hopefully they put this much effort into the league.
Dec 31, 2015 12:37 PM

Nov 2012
The relationships between Ash and his Pokemon are my biggest weakness in this show and I'm anxious to see what's going on with Frogadier.
Feb 15, 2016 1:35 PM

Jul 2013
That was a really great battle!

I really thought Ash wasn't going to win at first and that he'd have to challenge her again but in the end he won a great victory using her own attacks against her Pokemon which I guessed he was.

How Serena didn't guess Pikachu was timing the future sight attacks to use against the Meowstic.

Ash deserved that win!

It was a bit Dragonball like as people have said lol.

Olympia just kept using the same attacks repeatedly and it got a bit boring.

I am glad I decided to come back to this after really only watching the original series because this series has been epic!

I wonder what the green fire is and what Pokemon uses it that Olympia has foreseen.

Those new Pokedex's look awesome!

Every time I hear the word fire I think of this song lol.

I can't wait to see XY&Z! I wonder when they will show the dub here in the UK!
stephtastropheFeb 15, 2016 1:46 PM
Mar 6, 2016 4:25 PM
Nov 2013
Pokemon XY is by far the best pokemon series I've ever seen. XY&Z will be even better.
Oct 9, 2016 10:57 PM

Dec 2012
Holy shit! Best battle in XY(not counting Mega Evolution)...so far!

lol at Satoshi disappointing Pikachu after it got all fired up.

lol at Scumbag Fiarrow getting hit with Future Sight. That was for your past sins.

Swing that pendulum-tail, Pikachu!

When Fiarrow and Gekogashira survived that psyshock-dark pulse pincer attack after using Flame Charge, I immediately yelled "It's Volt time! Please play Volt. Please play Volt. Please!"....then it happened. I yelled in excitement.

DAT DBZ moment was EPIC! Satoshi-Gekogashira kamehameha!

Prof. Platane gave Satoshi the GBA Zukan!

What a great finale to XY. Hope XY & Z continues the greatness and I hope this wasn't the last time we heard Volt. That song too great.

I'll miss you, Sheryl. I hope we get to you again.
RobOct 10, 2016 6:59 PM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 1, 2017 1:32 PM

Sep 2012
i saw the episode long time ago,
but now i just wanted to see the battle for the last time and i noticed the following
Mar 1, 2017 12:27 AM

May 2013
Amazing episode, XY has been such an amazing ride. I have to rewatch this episode soon. XYZ will be crazy, this is the best Pokemon anime series ever. I LOVE POKEMON XY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 21, 2020 5:56 PM

Dec 2008
Lol Team Rocket's back already? Hasn't it been like no time since the last episode? Love them.

Gym battle was cool. So green eyes was referring to that legendary. And now we're done with the series, except not. XY and XYZ seems like a false split, like Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. Well, the psychic is implying there's going to more adventure and Team Rocket is in the vision so they're not going to write them out this time, promise (good) and we'll get a new opening theme. So I'm good with it.

I am still bitter we never got Pokemon Z the game though. XP
Dec 20, 2020 1:21 PM

Jul 2013
I finally finished Pokemon XY after 7 years. I was planning to stop here, but there has been a lot of build-up towards XY&Z from this series and the Mega Evolution specials. Not to mention that it has a really good score for a Pokemon TV Series. I want to see Frogadier evolving, Alan joining the main cast and the final battle for Kalos. Onto XY&Z!
Feb 20, 2022 6:41 PM

Sep 2017
Epic battle . Greninjas Dad was helping his son in spirit!
(jk that was a joke)
The power of friendship prevails.

Some Boss enemy with Green eyes will show up in the future and cause chaos?
Green eyes. .. actually idk anyone with green eyes. Caterpie? dunno. (I'm excluding that one legendary so don't quote me)

Maybe CILLIAN from BW series! he has green eyes! he's the evil villan. Or maybe shaymin. Honestly theres like 2% of pokemon with green eyes.
Most are Red/White/Black .
May 12, 2022 1:30 AM
Jan 2021
Damn I rewatched this battle and it was amazing. Probs to them
Jul 10, 2023 4:56 AM
Jun 2023
best pokemon episodes effer excist
Nov 22, 2023 2:22 AM

Feb 2020
Psychic badge, getto da zé ✌️

🪲🧱👊🍃⚡🧚‍♀️🧠

Um bom episódio de finalização. Agora falta 1 insignia pra Kalos league
Mar 4, 7:48 AM

Jan 2013
Absolutely awesome gym battle.
I love the Dragon Ball reference with Ash & Greninja standing behind Frogadier (Goku behind Gohan vs Cell) doing the Kamehameha :D

XY as a whole was fantastic, compared to previous seasons majority of the episodes were really entertaining.
Big improvement to the animation, fun little stories overarching into a bigger story (even the weaker episodes were good).

The main cast is a fun group, Bonnie is absolutely hilarious and cute at times (her VA is doing a fantastic job).
Serena's been great, I actually think the contest stuff is entertaining and her pivotal episode (where she cuts her hair) definitely stood out on it's own.
Clemont is more of a comic relief but good too, he meshes well with Bonnie.
Ash is actually using some great strategies again and compared to B&W is competent and doesn't seem like he's new to battling.

If I had to compare I'd say XY is on par with the original Pokemon's first ~110 episodes but where the original Pokemon went kinda downhill with the Johto area this XY season never felt lacking.
Definitely a breath of fresh air after coming from the B&W season.

Solid 8/10 (the highest score I've given to a regular Pokemon season), really excited for XY&Z and where this story is gonna take us.

PrOxAntoMar 6, 5:43 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 87 Discussion

Aipom - Sep 26, 2015

12 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 20, 7:47 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 86 Discussion

SweetKiichigo - Sep 9, 2015

19 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 17, 8:33 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 78 Discussion

SweetKiichigo - Jul 8, 2015

9 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 7, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 72 Discussion

210125 - May 14, 2015

16 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 6, 3:12 PM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 71 Discussion

Tanma - May 7, 2015

20 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 6, 2:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.