Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 22, 2015 5:19 PM

Jun 2015
First post here, so hello!

Just list things you can't stand that receive boundless amounts of praise:
1) Gurren Lagann- Absolute garbage. I can't find anything good about this
2) Clannad/AS- Why are these popular? Maybe because people are easily entertained by things that play with emotions, who knows?

edit: Deleted Monster and Cowboy Beop
SassyBryanFeb 6, 2016 8:34 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 22, 2015 5:32 PM

Nov 2014
I think we have to first establish what you mean by "critical acclaim". Do you mean "has a high rating on MAL"? or "is nearly universally liked"? These often go hand in hand, but not always.
How to fix the review section, detailed here

The average reader (HS level) reads at about 200 WPM. So a 500-800 word review should take 3-5 minutes to read. That's an acceptable length for something you're interested in spending 25 minutes to 4.5 hours of your life watching.

Oh, and ANN requires any and all reviews to be 800-1200 words, no matter the length of the show.
Oct 22, 2015 5:36 PM

Jun 2015
What I mean is like talked up by a lot of people, so more like nearly universally liked.
Oct 22, 2015 5:48 PM

Nov 2014
We've had this discussion on here before, but the titles that generally float to the top are:

Attack on Titan
Shigatsu
SAO
Code Geass
Tokyo Ghoul
Mirai Nikki

YOu know, the usual suspects.

The average reader (HS level) reads at about 200 WPM. So a 500-800 word review should take 3-5 minutes to read. That's an acceptable length for something you're interested in spending 25 minutes to 4.5 hours of your life watching.

Oh, and ANN requires any and all reviews to be 800-1200 words, no matter the length of the show.
Oct 22, 2015 5:50 PM

Jun 2015
Pretty much expect honestly, they're literal trash.

Didn't know you had this on here before, you want me to just gas this thread?
Oct 22, 2015 5:58 PM

Nov 2014
OOOPS. Didn't know I could do that! I dunno if this will post

Nah you don't have to can it. Some others who've joined since then might have others to add

Oct 22, 2015 6:00 PM

Jun 2015
Guess that's a good idea.
Oct 22, 2015 9:47 PM

Feb 2015
I've said it far too many times already, but: Psycho Pass. It is on the receiving end of many rave reviews yet I couldn't even enjoy it enough to want to watch a second episode.

Still gave it a 4/10 out of respect for others, but it's one of the most blatant failures at achieving what it seems to be setting out to do from a thematic standpoint.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Oct 23, 2015 2:48 AM

Jun 2014
I will consider critically acclaimed to mean the things that our friends who are usually called near in taste like it because critically acclaimed sounds like buzzword to me !! but ok

1- Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis

2- Hellsing Ultimate
Oct 23, 2015 4:10 AM

Jun 2015
That's basically what i was meaning.

Psycho Pass is garbage too.
Oct 23, 2015 8:43 AM

Nov 2014
Sassy, judged by your anime list... It looks like you just hate anime. You're nearly 4 points below the MAL average, and if you use 5 as average, you still rate everything more than one point lower on average.

Oct 23, 2015 10:43 AM

Jun 2015
I hate anime, since when? I love anime, just because I dislike things doesn't mean I hate anime. I rate based on what I think it deserves, and if that's lower then MAL's average, so be it.
Oct 23, 2015 11:32 AM

Nov 2014
Dude, you rated 90% of your anime below a 5. By any metric, that's a hard right skew.

Oct 23, 2015 11:35 AM

Jun 2015
Because that's what I think they deserve based on various factors, this doesn't mean I hate anime at all. If I hated anime that much, I would've left by now
Oct 23, 2015 11:38 AM

Nov 2014
Maybe you should have started a topic about "most underrated anime" instead....

Oct 23, 2015 11:41 AM

Jun 2015
Probably, gasing this thread is probably for the best.
Oct 23, 2015 11:48 AM

Jun 2014
Well I scored like 53% of the anime which i have watched and gave them score less than 5/10 and taking anime like MOD in account but well I don't think that they deserve or may be they are such low scores but i don't care . I score anime based on my enjoyment :D . People call me that i'm harsh . can i link your profile Mr SassyBryan to other people when they are talking about how harsh my scores are and i should change my scores :D ?
Tasteless-casualOct 23, 2015 12:10 PM
Oct 23, 2015 11:50 AM

Jun 2015
You can link me wherever you want to.
Oct 23, 2015 11:58 AM

Nov 2014
Ionno, whenever I see only low scores like that, two things come to mind:
1. I can't enjoy anime
2. I think anime is critically crap

I watch anime I know is going to be crap for fun, but you can make fun out of crap.
Making crap out of fun isn't how I want to watch muh Chinese cartoons :(

Oct 23, 2015 5:19 PM

Jul 2015
Definitely Shigatsu lol.

And Madoka Magica. Princess TuTu blows anything Madoka can stand for lol
Oct 23, 2015 5:26 PM

Jul 2015
I'm going to say this once so you all can burn this in your mind. Scores mean nothing. A 5/10 is considered different things among different people. The justifications behind it are the real meat to it. So if you have a problem with a review, ask why you gave a certain anime a certain score instead of asking why you give low scores.
Oct 23, 2015 7:50 PM

Apr 2013
Frozen.

Oh wait, anime titles. Outside of Sword Art Online, I have to think about what anime pissed me off so much, it's actually kind of hard for me to really hate an anime, because it has to fail while not giving a shit about why it's failing.

Well, I've come to not really care for Madoka Magica. This was probably my fault for watching the films much later after watching the TV series, but after the third film, I realized the series was a waste of my time, and I couldn't tell you who the characters were without some thought. Yes, I remember enjoying it my first watch-through, but after the novelty wore off...

And while I don't hate it, per se, I don't see how Nichijou is so great. "Greatest comedy gold ever"? No, I don't see how it's comedy gold when I think Azumanga Daioh is funnier. Same goes for Angel Beats, it's because it's too short, and I can't tell you who the characters were. I also don't hate Charlotte, I'm just vastly disappointed in it for not living up to its potential. And while I do like Brotherhood, I think the 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist anime had more things going for it.
Oct 23, 2015 8:07 PM

Nov 2014
KriticalBadger said:
I'm going to say this once so you all can burn this in your mind. Scores mean nothing. A 5/10 is considered different things among different people. The justifications behind it are the real meat to it. So if you have a problem with a review, ask why you gave a certain anime a certain score instead of asking why you give low scores.

Or better yet, just write the review for it and let that do the talking for you.

Nov 1, 2015 9:06 AM

Jul 2013
I don't "hate" them, but I just couldn't get into the style of wackiness in Gurren Lagann, FLCL or Kill la Kill.

I also found the first series of Clannad really hard to watch, I just found it extremely boring. However, I did enjoy certain parts of AS, I like tragic stories, it just about made sitting through the first series worthwhile.

Obligatory Sword Art Online mention; that is one of the few I can genuinely say that I hate.
Nov 3, 2015 7:47 PM

Jul 2015
A new one for me is One Punch Man. I don't get why so many people enjoy it so much.
Nov 4, 2015 9:31 AM

Feb 2015
KriticalBadger said:
A new one for me is One Punch Man. I don't get why so many people enjoy it so much.

It's self-aware and comedic. That's why people love it so much.

Nov 4, 2015 10:34 AM

Nov 2014
Caelidesu said:
KriticalBadger said:

It don't even make the good fun with superheroes. I'm in the "it's the same recycled joke, funny the first two times and not again" camp.
Seriously, there's a huge set of tropes that superhero media has created, and it's used more of them than it's made fun of them. Make fun of how stupid superhero media is, don't just make more stupid superhero media

Nov 6, 2015 5:34 AM

Sep 2014
Probably nothing. I either don't like it, or think it ranges from okay to good but not perfect as everyone makes it out to be. I never hate it.
If GTO counts however, although it'd be absurd to think of it as "critically acclaimed", then that's the one. That show was a complete mess. Not that I disliked the humor, I actually loved it but it was obviously mostly visual, juvenile humor for 12 year olds like me. It started out as a show that made fun of stories about teachers saving their students and the day to being one of those shows. I liked the main cast, especially Onizuka but for what it was trying to do, they were actually horrible characters. I could not stand a second of the drama in GTO. The antagonists were definitely the worst aspect. They start out as unrealistically evil but in the end turn out to be "good" and all of their wrongdoings are justified, just like that!

Also One Punch-man is far from being critically acclaimed.
Nov 6, 2015 10:18 AM

Feb 2015
Sassy Bryan you just shattered the hearts of millions of fanboys.

Well here's my list i guess:

Cowboy Bebop
Fate/Zero
Kill La Kill
SAO
Nov 7, 2015 11:47 PM

Feb 2015
lawlmartz said:
Caelidesu said:

It don't even make the good fun with superheroes. I'm in the "it's the same recycled joke, funny the first two times and not again" camp.
Seriously, there's a huge set of tropes that superhero media has created, and it's used more of them than it's made fun of them. Make fun of how stupid superhero media is, don't just make more stupid superhero media

I haven't read the manga so I still don't know how well it's going to hold up. I think it's success will be dependent on the strength of the side-cast of characters, such as Genos and Sonic.

Nov 8, 2015 7:02 PM

Mar 2012
Gurren Lagann, monster, 20th century boys... ONANIEX MASTER KUROSAWA
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Nov 11, 2015 11:04 AM

Jul 2015
Caelidesu said:
lawlmartz said:

I haven't read the manga so I still don't know how well it's going to hold up. I think it's success will be dependent on the strength of the side-cast of characters, such as Genos and Sonic.

I've been hearing from the manga readers that it translated not that well to the anime and the only reason why they like it is because of the nice animation.

Having bad generic characters and calling that satire isn't satire. Alot of 'self aware shows' fall into that category. They become what they intended to make fun of. OPM isn't making fun of generic characters by having them, it just has generic characters. The manga handled it much better as it shows a block of text of backstory one of the characters, implying that it is a joke. Plus it just repeats whatever the first episode did. I liked the first episode, but it fell right after that.
Dec 15, 2015 7:12 PM
Dec 2015
Honestly, one thing that every fanboy in the world hypothetically and perhaps literally jack to that I hate was Attack on Titan. It's not that I didn't give it a chance, I dropped it around episode 16 or so. But man the fandom for that anime killed me. I was already thinking about dropping the show to begin with, as I didn't like the cast of characters and it seemed too much like a typical Shounen, it really didn't seem to have any true depth other then "hey, they're a titan human, ah." And then "hey, others are titan humans, scary". But when I go to school and see everyone around me acting like (sorry for the taboo word) weeaboos over this, it tarnished it even further for me. Call me a anime hater or hypocritical, I really don't care, I just didn't enjoy that series at all. Now I'm dreading the season 2 coming out, cause lord knows the entire anime community will explode when that happens.
Dec 20, 2015 1:50 PM
Jul 2014
@ MochioDoom,

I have to agree. Attack on Titan is a show I feel is insanely overrated! It just seems like a generic zombie Apocalypse story, but the zombies are replaced with retarded giants.
Jan 4, 2016 5:39 AM
Jul 2018
Legend of the Galactic Heroes. *hold my axe*
Jan 11, 2016 9:22 AM
Sep 2014
illivinni said:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes. *hold my axe*

but you gave it 9

on topic:
The Catcher in the Rye
Jan 11, 2016 9:25 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Life
Jan 11, 2016 11:37 AM

Nov 2014
I think it's time One Punch Man made it on here.

I think you all know why.

Jan 11, 2016 12:56 PM

Nov 2015
HaXXspetten said:
Life

i second that

+ hellsing ultimate
Jan 12, 2016 4:08 AM
Feb 2015
Sword Art Online (even if not often criticly, it is publicly acclaimed)
Mirai Nikki
No Game No Life
Lucky Star (not really a fiery passion, but I don't like it at all. Just not my cup of tea.)
Panty and Stocking
Attack on Titan
Effin' Clannad and Effin' Clanned: After Garbage, Bugger All Story
Jan 12, 2016 12:56 PM

Feb 2014
PukingMachines said:

+ hellsing ultimate

+1, hellsing ultimate is pretty bad

also have i mentioned that i hate lovely complex

well i hate lovely complex

i hate it so much

i think it's literally the worst romance in the history of everything

i even wrote a hate review if you wanna see it

it's so bad

the show i mean

fuck lovely complex
Jan 14, 2016 5:55 AM

Jun 2014
yep you have mentioned .
Feb 11, 2016 6:45 PM

May 2011
I disliked Clannad. It has its merits however overall I think it's vastly overrated.
"The feels man, the feels..."
Feb 12, 2016 6:32 PM

Apr 2015
If I should rate The Tatami Galaxy based upon only my enjoyment, it should be 2/10.
Feb 29, 2016 2:04 AM

Feb 2016
I'm just hating all the generic harem shows that despite being badly received in the West do find their audience of tasteless Japanese consumers who don't even care that they're just watching the same plot and characters over and over again.
If I had to listen them, it'd include Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance, IS: Infinite Stratos, Seiken Tsukai no World Break, Absolute Duo, Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut, Trinity Seven, and the list goes on and on...

Feb 29, 2016 7:40 AM

Nov 2014
Trumpcard said:
I'm just hating all the generic harem shows that despite being badly received in the West do find their audience of tasteless Japanese consumers who don't even care that they're just watching the same plot and characters over and over again.
If I had to listen them, it'd include Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance, IS: Infinite Stratos, Seiken Tsukai no World Break, Absolute Duo, Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut, Trinity Seven, and the list goes on and on...

But really though.

Feb 29, 2016 10:41 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance definitely isn't generic once the actual Blade Dance tournament actually starts, from there on it's one of the best harems I'm aware of. Only problem is... that's from volume 4 and onwards... and the anime only cover volumes 1-3 which are about as generic as it gets so yeah >.>

Really though it's one of the most extreme cases I've seen of something which improves drastically in pretty much a split second past a certain point
Feb 29, 2016 10:50 AM

Feb 2016
lawlmartz said:
Trumpcard said:

But really though.

I'll give you that one, I was being a bit mean

Mar 11, 2016 7:07 AM

Nov 2014
I don't hate Madoka Magica or anything, but the TV series is pretty mediocre... I'm not sure that it deserves an 8.5 rating, either. The sequel movie is good though.

Mar 12, 2016 11:51 AM

May 2011
Hey!
I apologize for my scarce presence since the inception of this club, but I do my best to free from my busy agenda. Since this thread is up, let's react.

- Clannad (in fact, when I think of Indecent Misery Porn applied to contrived drama, Clannad is the highest point of the scale)
- Anything insanely popular from these drudges of A-1 pictures (SAO, Elfen Lied...)
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Lucky Stars (I hate it partly as it tarnished the very signification of "slice of life")
- Tokyo Ghoul
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Guro

Vermilion_Spring - May 8, 2016

17 by sorcery »»
Nov 2, 2022 5:49 PM

» What manga you wished that was never made

removed-user - Oct 25, 2022

0 by removed-user »»
Oct 25, 2022 6:38 PM

» Opinions on Takena Nagao

Space_Boyfriend - Nov 22, 2021

3 by Space_Boyfriend »»
Nov 27, 2021 9:08 PM

Poll: » Princess Tutu

literaturenerd - Sep 7, 2021

1 by Lil-Bird »»
Sep 7, 2021 4:48 PM

» If you could keep one anime from ever being created, what would it be?

lawlmartz - Jul 27, 2015

30 by The1EyedOwl »»
Aug 28, 2021 1:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.