Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 23, 2008 11:30 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I don't like the new characters too much but I guess this was alright.

Rena's power was pretty crazy!

It didn't grab me as much as HiME or OTOME did but the last OVA was a bit disappointing anyway. Still, it has potential, and I read 'Miyu' in the outro so I'm looking forward to the next episode. Even though it'll take quite a while until we get to see that one.

I was hoping for some subliminal references to the previous shows but I failed to spot any that were worth mentioning. Hope we'll get to see some dark transformations too.
cyruzFeb 23, 2008 11:37 AM

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 23, 2008 12:58 PM

Sep 2007
I thought it was a pretty interesting opening episode to Rena's past. I'm thinking M-9 has some kind of link to Miyu since it had said "M-iyu 9" when M-9 came out. You can see Miyu in the ending credits too with all the characters so it'll be interesting to see what kind of role she'll have.

The talk about Elliot being a lesbian in the beginning was pretty roflcopter.
WasabiFeb 23, 2008 1:02 PM
Feb 23, 2008 1:09 PM

Nov 2007
Finally the first episode is out. I thought it was good for an opening episode. Im still confused as to how far back is this from Mai-Otome. I'm a little dissapointed that it's only 3 episodes. Also that there was less fanservice = P. I still liked it though.
Feb 23, 2008 2:13 PM

Jan 2007
I really enjoyed it. Rena was just awesome.
Feb 23, 2008 3:18 PM

Jul 2007
I personally thought it was a great episode and an awesome opening episode for the OVA. Who'd of thought Rena was actually that powerful.

Can't wait for the next episode.
Feb 23, 2008 4:10 PM

Dec 2007
Just finished watching the first episode, and imo, it was really great ^^
I wanna watch the next episode >_<
Feb 23, 2008 4:12 PM
Jun 2007
It was an awesome episode. But I can pretty much predict on what's going to happen in the next episodes, and how its going to end. Nevertheless, I can't wait for the next episodes.

Ok so, in the first episode, Rena's (Arika's mother?) red gem got broken since her power is too strong.. She'll probably get her blue gem from her Mother, which is Arika's grandmother.. As far as I can remember, Arika got the blue gem from her grandmother. So we can assume that Rena will return the blue gem to her mother at the end of the OVA.. =P Well, Idk, its only my prediction. Hope I'm wrong cuz I don't enjoy shows that i can predict to the fullest.. lol
Feb 23, 2008 6:16 PM

Sep 2007
Rainulf said:
It was an awesome episode. But I can pretty much predict on what's going to happen in the next episodes, and how its going to end. Nevertheless, I can't wait for the next episodes.

Ok so, in the first episode, Rena's (Arika's mother?) red gem got broken since her power is too strong.. She'll probably get her blue gem from her Mother, which is Arika's grandmother.. As far as I can remember, Arika got the blue gem from her grandmother. So we can assume that Rena will return the blue gem to her mother at the end of the OVA.. =P Well, Idk, its only my prediction. Hope I'm wrong cuz I don't enjoy shows that i can predict to the fullest.. lol

Quick note about blue sky sapphire:

Another potential spoiler pertaining who Afrika's father, probably really obvious:

Another note... I love Mai Otome! I get serious when talking about Mai Otome.
HappyFeb 23, 2008 7:14 PM
Feb 23, 2008 7:14 PM
Jun 2007
SamuraiTom said:
Rainulf said:

Another potential spoiler pertaining who Afrika's father:

ahh yeh!! I remember now, yes yes, you're right. lol I don't know where wikipedia got this information, but it says in wikipedia that
giossFeb 23, 2008 7:18 PM
Feb 23, 2008 7:19 PM

Sep 2007
Rainulf said:
SamuraiTom said:
Rainulf said:

Oh yeh!! I remember now, yes yes, you're right. lol I don't know where wikipedia got this information, but it says in wikipedia that

The first thing I thought of when I saw Sifr was that she looked like Nina and wouldn't be surprised that Sifr is her

Maybe Bruce was having an
on the side. I'm confused now. I guess I gotta read the manga.
Feb 23, 2008 7:29 PM
Jun 2007
The manga has different storyline though.. lol In the manga,
I don't know, we'll see in the next episodes.. I hope they don't center the story in Sifr though.
Feb 23, 2008 8:34 PM

Sep 2007
Less then impressive, but I guess it still has two more episodes to do something worthwhile. Plenty of new characters that I don't particularly care about, music that doesn't stack up against the original series, a plot-line that has done very little to hook me, action scenes that simply seem reminiscent of DBZ (OMG SHE'S SO POWERFUL SHE BROKE HER GEM!), even the animation seems less impressive to me and I can't say exactly why. Also, despite the fact that I expect them in spin-off ovas such as this, there seemed to be very few references to characters from the original series, but again, there is still time for them to bring in whoever. Hopefully it will get better, I'm sure I'll watch it regardless of how bad it is anyway, if only to see more of the Otome universe.
Feb 23, 2008 8:34 PM

Sep 2007
Rainulf said:
I don't know, we'll see in the next episodes.. I hope they don't center the story in Sifr though.

Oh, I'll still read the manga though. Isn't the manga more ecchi?
Feb 23, 2008 8:37 PM

Jan 2008
I cant believe that an Otome's GEM could overload, i cant believe that rena is so powerfull. Though calling her the monster of garderobe was a bit harsh.

Feb 23, 2008 8:44 PM
Jun 2007
SamuraiTom said:
Rainulf said:

Oh, I'll still read the manga though. Isn't the manga more ecchi?

Yeah, it has ecchi. But the storyline's really good. Some people even say that its better than the anime, but for me, both are equal. Its a shame though that its too short, but then again, the manga is a counterpart of the anime.
Feb 24, 2008 5:46 AM

Oct 2007
manga and anime is completely different for mai hime/otome but they still move somewhat along the same line
Feb 24, 2008 6:26 AM

Nov 2007
SamuraiTom said:

Actually thats a bit off.

Feb 24, 2008 6:52 AM

Jan 2008
Didn't the "hairdo" of the Nina-cat look like Nina Wang's hairdo? Or am I seeing things?
Feb 24, 2008 7:08 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Zenovia said:
Didn't the "hairdo" of the Nina-cat look like Nina Wang's hairdo? Or am I seeing things?

No, that's indeed a reference to the other shows, I wanna see more of those. ^^

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 24, 2008 8:37 AM

Dec 2007
I've been waiting for Mai Otome 0 since I first heard of it, and finally watched the first episode last night. It was a... good start, but not a great one. Obviously, with only three episodes things are going to be rushed, but some more time developing the Sifr/Rena releationship would have been nice. Also, for an OVA the quality of the artwork and animation left a little to be desired. Not up to the visual quality of Zwei, for example.

After the disappointmen of Zwei I guess I was not expecting much from this OVA, and so far they have not supprised me in that aspect. Nice little something for the Otome fans, but not terribly excetional taken on its own.
Feb 24, 2008 9:55 AM

Sep 2007
draconiko said:
SamuraiTom said:

Actually thats a bit off.

Oh, it's been awhile since watching Mai Otome. I did a quick wiki search and you're right. My theory about the father is wrong too. Bah
Feb 24, 2008 11:51 AM

Feb 2008
Rainulf said:

SamuraiTom said:

I think I had higher expectations for this than I should have. It was still pretty good though, and I enjoyed it, just didn't feel as amazed at the end as I'd hoped. The fight scene between Rena and KOS-MOS... *cough* err, M-9, was pretty cool. And Sifr thankfully doesn't annoy me like Nina did. Bruce doesn't annoy me like Sergay did either. Rena was a little too overpowered though. Seeing all the previous Meisters is cool, but I didn't really take to them as much as the originals. Elliot was pretty amusing though. The lack of Kajiura Yuki was a shame. Her music had such a powerful impact throughout the Mai series, it really set the mood perfectly. I would've rather they resused Otome's OST like they did in Zwei than add the mediocre stuff.
NinoFeb 24, 2008 3:22 PM
Feb 24, 2008 8:43 PM

Nov 2007
Nino said:
The lack of Kajiura Yuki was a shame. Her music had such a powerful impact throughout the Mai series, it really set the mood perfectly. I would've rather they resused Otome's OST like they did in Zwei than add the mediocre stuff.

I fully agree with you on this. Mai-Otomes OST's were great with the rest of her music and would've been perfectly fine to use here again. It's not like S.ifr takes place in another alternate universe.
Feb 24, 2008 10:05 PM

Oct 2007
Watched it last night and I really enjoyed it! Although I am one of those fans that will watch anything if it's related to a favourite show XD I liked the comedy, Mai HIme/Otome seems to be a very good example of snappy writing/translation where the jokes still seem really funny. It's also a good franchise because I also like the balance of action and a little bit of angst hehe. Oh and I <3'd the ambiguous (or not so..) GL scenes - Delivered in under 8 Minutes. Congrats XD
Feb 26, 2008 10:52 AM

Nov 2007
PWNED!!!

Great 1st epi. At 1st I expected Rena's Otome outfit to be like Arika's Zwei outfit, but WOW, it's totally meched-up! And the person to predicted Sifr being Nina's mom, that's a likely possibliliy too. (Getting the cat as a name ref.) And all the cameo debuts were awesome. Mai Series 4ever. ^^b
Mar 1, 2008 4:22 PM
Dec 2007
Great action-packed episode with a very interesting insight into the birth of both Nina and Arika. Like it so far, it's MUCH better than Otome Zwei.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Mar 1, 2008 8:17 PM

Feb 2008
I like like this OVA. I liked Zwei at parts, but In general it was ok. This was much better. Full fighting scenes. Then again I'm a fan of anything Mai-HiME/Otome anyway XD

Also, One question: Does anyone know when the next episode will be on?
Mar 1, 2008 10:16 PM

Feb 2008
YukiGEM said:
Also, One question: Does anyone know when the next episode will be on?

Probably 3 months if they go on the same time schedule as Zwei, but I don't believe there's been any official announcement yet (at least not that I could find).
Dec 31, 2012 10:49 AM

Nov 2011
A nice first pilot episode imo.

Rena definitely reminds me of Mai a bit especially when she transformed for battle. Also, that ending..oh shi-

More topics from this board

» There are 2 volumes in this Mai-Otome Ayane's Saga. One is Ayane's Descend and the next volume after is Ayane's Flight. Here is the sneak preview of the Ayane's Descend Prologue.

TPatrioticOtaku - Jan 25, 2022

3 by TPatrioticOtaku »»
Feb 1, 2:41 PM

» I can't believe this OVA ends... there.

JafriZin - Jan 17, 2017

1 by St0rmblade »»
Aug 7, 2022 10:48 AM

» who exactly is the covered lady?

KaminaKai - Jul 25, 2008

3 by St0rmblade »»
Aug 7, 2022 10:44 AM

Poll: » Mai-Otome 0~S.ifr~ Episode 2 Discussion

GrumpyFelo - Jul 27, 2008

20 by St0rmblade »»
Aug 7, 2022 8:29 AM

Poll: » Mai-Otome 0~S.ifr~ Episode 3 Discussion

slayer545-sama - Nov 20, 2008

42 by removed-user »»
Jul 13, 2019 12:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.