Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 16, 2015 1:10 AM
Jul 2018
I liked Persia's character design better in the manga. Looking forward to this next part though.
Aug 16, 2015 4:04 AM

Aug 2015
Takuan_Soho said:

At that point she has no idea how strong the JSDF is, unlike Pina she hasn't seen them in battle yet. Also, the Rose Brigade had never actually fought a battle (as the king implied when he sent Pina out), so they really don't understand battles, and they have bought into the propaganda that the Empire is unbeatable. Remember how Pina reacted when she first heard about the JSDF winning, the blonde didn't even have that small amount of warning.

But more importantly, honor is what the empire was about. People nowadays don't understand how totally important it used to be because a gun "equalizes" honor. But before guns, battles were fought by people who had to hack their way through their opponents, and those with courage and a sense of honor were far superior to those who lacked either. This is what Pina was talking about when she said that the JSDF were like Valkyries laughing at mortals, all that courage would bring to these soldiers is to be slaughtered (this goes back to the second episode when the alliance army continued to attack). Virtues are now vices.

So the blonde had her honor at stake, and Itami inadvertently trampled on it. Again, he is lucky that is all she did to him. And she is lucky that her pride and ignorance didn't get her killed.

Wow, loving the passion. But I do not think I will ever see it from that perspective, the whole performance of that scene felt aimed more at the audience than what was actually happening. These women might not have fought any real battles but they still endured years of training that should have ended up in them being tougher than how she reacted in that scene. So I stand by my first comment that in the end they sacrificed the integrity (or potential of integrity might be better suited) for a weak attempt of slapstick entertainment.
Aug 16, 2015 4:23 AM
Oct 2014
This series have been going through highs and lows, and things in between. But the episode this week shows that it's going to get better.

Just to get this thing out of the way. How is it that Itami just becomes a punching bag? And why does that knight just badges in and slaps him in the face without rhyme or reason? Who with common sense would ever do that? My liking for him decreases because of that.

What I really enjoy in this episode is the apprehension shown the people of the fantasy world towards the JSDF. They live in a world constantly ravaged by war, so victory and defeat literally means life and dead. Japan, despite its rather bloody history in WW2, is now in a world where the UN will step in to prevent any war from happening. They have faith in peace and understanding. And they know they are in a military advantage. Which is why their leaders are so calm.

Apart from some derps, animation really shines in this episode, and the sound does it work.

I will give this episode 3.5/5. It does not have a lot of action like the previous episode, but the execution and interaction between modern and fantasy people are much better than in episode 4 and 5.
bibototAug 16, 2015 6:41 AM
Aug 16, 2015 5:24 AM

Dec 2012
I knew this kind of episode just bound to happen, an episode where it's all about the fan service. Too bad.
And I am afraid this anime is going to turn into something like this & less serious. As for the characters, it's been a long time since the last time we got a proper characterization for the main characters. It's been more of plot progression & less character. I hope we got some in the next episode.
I like anime.
Aug 16, 2015 6:33 AM
Jul 2014
The blonde knight was just dumb. She didn't want to be there anyway, just barely opened the door and didn't announce herself, didn't think about different cultures (despite JUST being in trouble for her ignorance of the treaty as well) and just stood there at the door for a few seconds in a noisy room before "he didn't notice me! the nerve!" and marching up and slapping him.

Granted they've never actually fought a battle before, but I thought Pina had them doing diplomatic things before this, so she really shouldn't be that completely clueless. She's just lucky that Itami is pretty easy-going and wants the treaty to work.

Still, it looks like by the end she's realised what an idiot she's been. It'll be interesting to see the reactions of the various girls to Japan in the next episode. And (probably not next ep, but a little later) when Pina learns that Japan was attacked first. It doesn't seem like she knows that yet. Guess her father is keeping secrets from her again.
Aug 16, 2015 8:02 AM

Jun 2012
Oh, those maids were cute. I loved the cat girl maid! >< I thought it was cute that the princess decided to use sex to stop an invasion. lol
Aug 16, 2015 8:26 AM
Jul 2018
Mirality said:
The blonde knight was just dumb. She didn't want to be there anyway, just barely opened the door and didn't announce herself, didn't think about different cultures (despite JUST being in trouble for her ignorance of the treaty as well) and just stood there at the door for a few seconds in a noisy room before "he didn't notice me! the nerve!" and marching up and slapping him.

Granted they've never actually fought a battle before, but I thought Pina had them doing diplomatic things before this, so she really shouldn't be that completely clueless. She's just lucky that Itami is pretty easy-going and wants the treaty to work.

Still, it looks like by the end she's realised what an idiot she's been. It'll be interesting to see the reactions of the various girls to Japan in the next episode. And (probably not next ep, but a little later) when Pina learns that Japan was attacked first. It doesn't seem like she knows that yet. Guess her father is keeping secrets from her again.

I blame ridiculous quotas that existed in medieval times that neither the audience or the soldiers here really understood.
Aug 16, 2015 9:15 AM

Mar 2014
I thought they gonna drag on with Itami capture but good thing they went straight back to the our world
Aug 16, 2015 9:56 AM
Oct 2012
Desraider said:
These women might not have fought any real battles but they still endured years of training that should have ended up in them being tougher than how she reacted in that scene.

There is little doubt that the scene was used for comedic effect (which was actually downplayed this episode), I still think you are not appreciating that she acted naturally for her world.

Up until the 19th century, nobles could physically abuse or even kill lower ranks on whim (Pina's response to the two commanders showed this even happens at their level).

If honor was involved violence was the expected recourse. The idea that nobility were stoic warriors NEVER existed, nobility never acted noble. They were emotional, petty and quick to take offense and to get revenge for their slights. The true stoics were the lower classes because they were never able to retaliate and had to accept the abuse.

bibotot said:
And why does that knight just badges in and slaps him in the face without rhyme or reason? Who with common sense would ever do that?

There is no "common sense" when talking about nobles. People really need to understand that while, yes this is being played for comedic effect, this IS how nobility acted. Remember these people had no legal restraint on them, they could do anything they wanted to lesser ranks (they could only be tried by their peers, and their peers were doing the same thing. This principle applied to even the lower ranks: masters could beat their apprentices, bosses their employees, husbands their wives, etc etc.

bibotot said:
is now in a world where the UN will step in to prevent any war from happening

The UN will not step in. In order for the UN to act the US, UK, China, Russia, and France need to agree to stop the war. Since the only countries that could attack Japan are 3 of those 5 members, the UN wouldn't do anything.
Aug 16, 2015 11:51 AM

Apr 2012
Mirality said:

sorry, you dont understand - it's typical GATE "humor", another reason to slap MC
its not blonde knight was just dumb - but the whole show itself
Aug 16, 2015 1:43 PM

Feb 2012
Goth loli can carry her weapon freely? The fuck... And Itami, fix your god dam hair when wearing a beret.
Aug 16, 2015 3:01 PM
Oct 2011
I like that subtle hint when Itami and Tuka were talking in camp.
Aug 16, 2015 3:09 PM
Jul 2018
Mallony said:
Goth loli can carry her weapon freely? The fuck... And Itami, fix your god dam hair when wearing a beret.

It's a relic or something. Rory refuses to part with it.
Aug 16, 2015 3:29 PM
Apr 2014
LOL Poor Itami

First getting that hit in the face from Rory and then getting beaten up like crazy by the knights :D and another slap like he didn't have enough already xD

Wow they actually gave permission to send Rory through the gate WITH that weapon? Seems like a really awful idea considering how uncontrollable she is. If she starts running around with that thing it might get funny.
Aug 16, 2015 4:16 PM

Dec 2014
Onwards to winter doujin events!

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that Tuka hasn't gotten that much development as a character? I do hope she gets some more screentime in the near future. That aside, I'm growing very fond of Lelei.
Aug 16, 2015 4:30 PM
Jul 2015
zerorequiem_ said:
Onwards to winter doujin events!

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that Tuka hasn't gotten that much development as a character? I do hope she gets some more screentime in the near future. That aside, I'm growing very fond of Lelei.

She will get more development after they returned from Japan.
[spoiler] Rather than development, she will get PTSD in the next arc.
Aug 16, 2015 6:21 PM

Dec 2012
zerorequiem_ said:

You mean characterization? We cannot have character development if we do not have characterization.

Sangaz said:
It's a relic or something. Rory refuses to part with it.

Really? I did not see it in this episode.
I like anime.
Aug 16, 2015 8:03 PM

Aug 2013
Kurebayashi's mind exploded.

I laughed when the old man popped out saying he wanted to go after Rory invited herself. Was wondering where he went!

I'm so hyped for the next episode. The "fantasy world people visit the modern world" concept really gets me stoked. I hope they visit a place where they can really get a sense for just how HUGE Tokyo is. I also hope they reveal that Tokyo is just a small part of Japan and that even Japan is just a small part of the modern world. I hope they see commercial airlines. The fact that you can travel to anywhere in the entire world in less than a day (not counting layovers) blows *my* mind and I LIVE in the modern world. They already experienced cars, but not highway driving. It's almost 9PM right now where I'm at, and I could get in my car right now and complete a journey that would have taken weeks or months only 150 years ago before the sun comes up.
Aug 16, 2015 9:40 PM
Jul 2011
And visit some memorials and shrines to talk about their history, what are happening in the world from the start to so far as of now, and the relationships with other countries.
rladls717Aug 16, 2015 9:50 PM
Aug 17, 2015 12:04 AM

Mar 2015
Another great episode from Gate.

Waking up to maid monster-girls are all otakus dream. The medusa is the best out of those 4.

Pina's overreaction is really funny lol. Lelei's bad translation almost made things even messed up and funnier.

Itami is building more and more of his harem... Starting from Rory and then the maid-girls and then Lelei.... Sadly Tuka is into yuri with that other JSDF girl...

In the end that poor grandpa did not get to the other side lol. But yay for Rory getting to the other side.

Edit: After rewatching the episode, I find Lelei's question about how Medusa's hair shed skins was really funny... because there was also an episode of Monmusu with Miia shedding her skins in a somewhat erotic way this week. Not to mention Medusa's reply about it being a secret lol. Coincidence?
DarklordVorAug 17, 2015 12:34 AM

Aug 17, 2015 12:48 AM

Jun 2014
a funny episode.
so itami is a ranger huh? this explains everything, heheh
Aug 17, 2015 3:52 AM

Apr 2014
Japan.....eh? All of those girls will be surprised....lots of different otakus with different fetishes will swarm around them..especially the elf and rory. Everybody loves Psychotic/Sadistic Goth-Lolis!! (KURUMI!!! AAHHH! I know she ain't a Loli but she's still a goth!) I really wanna see Pina's reaction if they show her the cocktail that has the same name as her XD i would die from laughter.

Next episode will be interesting!
Aug 17, 2015 3:57 AM

Aug 2015
Takuan_Soho said:

There is little doubt that the scene was used for comedic effect (which was actually downplayed this episode), I still think you are not appreciating that she acted naturally for her world.

Maybe it is just me then, but with Itami getting slapped and Piñas reaction afterwards, it felt pretty comedic to me.
Aug 17, 2015 8:17 AM

Mar 2009
Somehow, not going too indepth with the main characters' abilities right off the bat with infodumping actually feels pretty refreshing.
Aug 17, 2015 11:10 AM

May 2015
It's amazing that even without action, finished so fucking fast...
Srly with this anime the time just flies.

The next episode can be the best. :)

Aug 17, 2015 2:14 PM

Mar 2009
Not enough Rory in this episode.
Aug 17, 2015 4:33 PM

Jul 2015
ISKIJN said:
Gate: A story about how some people from another world get to visit Japan before I do ¬¬

lol ik how you feel.
Aug 17, 2015 8:08 PM
Mar 2013

And I have to say, what the waist measurement is!"
Aug 17, 2015 9:05 PM

Mar 2015

I know, thats why Im asking if what happened on the LN is different since the manga showed it in a different way, instead of belittling Itami she even thought of giving 2 of the girls to him and later said ''Itami seems like a special kind of man to fall for it''[/quote]

Between Panache and Bozes how many of the girls in the manga that Pina "promised' to Itami actually did anything? or was the whole Pina-Bozes-Itami thing played out in the anime in a rather humorous way that much different than how it played out in the manga? Give it up man.
KelgairAug 17, 2015 9:12 PM
Aug 17, 2015 10:12 PM

Mar 2012
Took me a bit to get used to all dat purple but that's still one mighty fine neko~

So glad this anime is going to be 24 episodes instead of 12 :)
Aug 18, 2015 4:46 AM
Jul 2018
build up episode, next time seems amusing.
Aug 18, 2015 7:06 AM

Jan 2011
This will probably the first time that the people from "the other world" actually visit our own, haven't seen that before in an anime. Looking forward to their reactions.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Aug 18, 2015 8:19 AM

Jul 2014
Kelgair said:

I know, thats why Im asking if what happened on the LN is different since the manga showed it in a different way, instead of belittling Itami she even thought of giving 2 of the girls to him and later said ''Itami seems like a special kind of man to fall for it''

Between Panache and Bozes how many of the girls in the manga that Pina "promised' to Itami actually did anything? or was the whole Pina-Bozes-Itami thing played out in the anime in a rather humorous way that much different than how it played out in the manga? Give it up man. [/quote]

What? all Im asking is what happened in the LN since I just wanna know how the author truly wanted to portray it, if the manga part was more accurate or the anime part, get off your high horse if you dont know anything about the LN then dont even bother quoting me, I wasnt asking for your opinion rather I want answers on the LN part.
Aug 18, 2015 2:51 PM

Jan 2015
Mormegil said:
Not enough Rory in this episode.

I think the princess became my favourite character of the series
Aug 18, 2015 3:54 PM

Jan 2014
This anime is truly amazing. Every moment is exciting, I'm glad I picked up.

Cant wait for next episode, its gonna be awesome, I feel it!

Princess is my favorite character by far.
Aug 18, 2015 4:46 PM
May 2014
DarklordVor said:
Itami is building more and more of his harem... Starting from Rory and then the maid-girls and then Lelei.... Sadly Tuka is into yuri with that other JSDF girl...

Your definition of a harem is quite funny. I guess if you walk into a clothing store (or workplace, or whatever)
where there are several females, then you have a harem too?
I mean, if all thats required is for several females to be present then that would be the case, wouldn't it? :)

Only Rory seem to be somewhat interested, but she's mostly just curious about him.
konatachan80Aug 18, 2015 4:50 PM
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Aug 18, 2015 11:06 PM

Oct 2011
konatachan80 said:
DarklordVor said:

Your definition of a harem is quite funny. I guess if you walk into a clothing store (or workplace, or whatever)
I mean, if all thats required is for several females to be present then that would be the case, wouldn't it? :)

Only Rory seem to be somewhat interested, but she's mostly just curious about him.

And the blond haired elf, the army chick with brown hair and potentially the princess.
Aug 18, 2015 11:44 PM
Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
At that point she has no idea how strong the JSDF is, unlike Pina she hasn't seen them in battle yet.

As a bit of subtle intimidation, the JSDF troops just happen to be conducting live-fire training and tank maneuvers just as Pina and Bozes roll into Alnus. Remember Itami getting permission from his superiors to bring back the Princess and her aide? And telling his troops to radio ahead with their ETA? Somebody back at HQ was thinking ahead.
Aug 19, 2015 12:56 AM
May 2014
Gov said:
konatachan80 said:

And the blond haired elf, the army chick with brown hair and potentially the princess.

Iow, no..and the remaining person hardly constitutes a harem on her own.
..and even she is mostly curious.
konatachan80Aug 19, 2015 1:08 AM
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Aug 19, 2015 2:12 PM

Nov 2007
This anime lost its values in some aspects while gained on others. It's okay because it remains a fun series to follow.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Aug 19, 2015 3:41 PM
Nov 2012
konatachan80 said:
DarklordVor said:

Right. This isn't a harem. Only Rory is interested in Itami. Whether she's judging him (she is a demigoddess; judging humans and killing the rejects is her job) or romantically interested remains to be seen. Tuka is just messed up, in denial about her father's death. Lelei is just tired. (At this point, everybody involved has been through a battle, a sleepless night, and a road trip.) Pina tries to use Itami, but doesn't like him.
Aug 19, 2015 4:45 PM
Oct 2012
SansrivaaL said:
What? all Im asking is what happened in the LN since I just wanna know how the author truly wanted to portray it, if the manga part was more accurate or the anime part, get off your high horse if you dont know anything about the LN then dont even bother quoting me, I wasnt asking for your opinion rather I want answers on the LN part.

It's closer to the novel. In the novel Pina first thought of doing it herself, but decided that she needed to reserve herself in because she is a prime asset for the empire. She then considered Hamilton, but decided she needed her skills as an aide.

Honestly, I liked this version better than the manga. In this time period women were political weapons, Pina would have never considered sending the blonde to someone of Itami's rank, that she decided to do so showed how desperate she was not to have Itami not make an issue out of the attack (and was greatly surprised that the JSDF made so little of it when he did report it).

But to some of the comments above, Pina was not instructing her subordinates to do anything that she wouldn't have done herself. Those were the times, Pina always knew that she would eventually be sent to seal some alliance for the family, the other noblewomen know this as well.
Aug 20, 2015 12:10 AM
Nov 2012
EP 8 PV is up.

Princess Pina in the big city.
Aug 20, 2015 1:25 PM

Jul 2009
Itami was really enjoying all the attention haha
Looking forward to see the elf girl fighting!
Aug 21, 2015 7:13 AM

Apr 2012
I felt like this anime started out pretty lackluster, but it has seriously grown on me. I love it now!
Aug 21, 2015 7:59 PM
Nov 2012
That episode was great. I constantly found myself using air quotes and saying "rescue" out loud. lol He didn't need to be "rescued" since Itami was being treated like royalty.
Aug 22, 2015 4:22 PM

Feb 2013
Hilarious episode. When the blonde girl walked in the room, lmfao!
Aug 24, 2015 12:03 PM

Oct 2008
LOLed at Itami's face...pretty beaten-up badly!
Piña Co Lada was very stressed and extremely worried about the situation that happened to Itami and decided to offer the 2nd daughter princess's body to Itami as a way of apology.
And again Itami got a bit hurt again...by a slap from curly hair blondie...lol
Piña Co Lada was amazed again on how fast the transport is and seen 1st had the power of Modern Military, infantry, tanks, air support...lol
Whow that was pretty heavy! Piña Co Lada was invited personally to a Military General!
lol at Lelei, very tired that she passed-out and slept on the floor!
Next episode would be definitely great! because the gang is coming back to Japan with the other girls and princesses!
5/5.

Aug 27, 2015 6:36 AM
Jun 2014
Will the main character ever stop being invisible? I feel he has barely any presence in the anime at all. Hoped he would become a military badass, but i guess being ridiculed by female hotties and fellow officers is more funny....

And that blonde got off waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy.
Aug 27, 2015 11:52 PM

Aug 2013
LOL. That was a hilarious episode.
Enough with the killing.. time for some sight seeing. XD
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2015

207 by GooseHybrid »»
Apr 25, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2015

186 by Shadized »»
Apr 14, 6:47 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2015

291 by Shadized »»
Apr 14, 10:24 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2015

283 by Myetx »»
Mar 30, 1:27 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2015

188 by Strahan »»
Mar 24, 6:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.