Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 6, 2015 11:56 PM

Jul 2012
Has anyone realised that the Japanese used in this anime, or the way the people talk is different from standard japanese? It's really unique even though it's quite hard to understand, especially the expressions. Does anyone know which dialect this is? All I know is the anime is set in Kyushu and I think it's Chuu dialect but I'm not sure. Does anyone know any specific?

Also another question, I'm not fluent at Japanese but I realised immediately that the Japanese is not standard Japanese. For non-japanese speakers, when you guys watch this anime, did you realise that the Japanese used is different from the one usually used in other animes? I'm just curious. Maybe even if you don't speak Japanese, you'd realise if you watch anime and listen to Japanese all the time. I want to know if this is right or wrong, thanks.
よろしく!
Aug 6, 2015 11:59 PM

Apr 2014
I didn't notice anything, but that's probably because my Japanese vocabulary is limited to "Onii-chan" and the like.
Aug 10, 2015 12:06 AM

Jul 2012
Protaku94 said:
I didn't notice anything, but that's probably because my Japanese vocabulary is limited to "Onii-chan" and the like.

Okay that's interesting. So not everyone will realise it even though they watch lots of animes. If you watch lots of duba obviously you won't understand though. Thanks
よろしく!
Oct 6, 2015 8:43 AM
Aug 2014
Yes. They speak "sumimasen" like "sumimashain".
Oct 25, 2015 12:44 PM

Aug 2013
The dialect is Hakata-ben, the dialect of Fukuoka according to the website gojapango
Dec 29, 2015 4:31 AM

Dec 2007
Fukuoka-ben (or Fukuoka dialect), spoken in Fukuoka prefecture where Kyushu is. I absolutely loved listening to that and I was looking for more anime with Fukuoka-ben, even made a topic in the recommendation forum, but alas, suppose a good portion of people (especially not fluent in Japanese ones) don't mind the dialect used. I believe Fukuoka-ben is so different from standard Japanese (or Tokyo Japanese) because Fukuoka is so close to Korea and has been influenced quite a bit, could be wrong though.
Aw, now I feel like re-watching the anime! :D

Personally I always pay close attention to the language used and love hearing various dialects, save from Kansai (Osaka) which is already too mainstream and not unusual any more, don't dislike it though.
May 4, 2020 2:30 PM

Dec 2007
I dont speak japanese but I've watched a lot of anime and it's easy to hear that it's a dialect. Personnaly I really like the way it sounds in Ghost Hound. At the beginning of the anime they seemed to speak normal japanese though.

Enjyu said:
I was looking for more anime with Fukuoka-ben[...]
Aw, now I feel like re-watching the anime! :D

Yes it's a reason in itself to rewatch it I agree lol.
For other anime with specific dialect the only ones that come to mind is Megumi Tadokoro from Shokugeki no Soma (Hokkaido accent), some girls from Saki (especially Agicha-hen that takes place in Nara).
Obviously there are others (with a quick look on google there are at least these 20 girls :
https://sgcafe.com/2016/09/top-20-anime-characters-charming-accents-according-charapedia/)

Aug 23, 2021 10:42 PM

May 2020
I did realise that it was different from standard Japanese. Personally, I found it to be extremely pleasing to listen to, especially compared to the standard Japanese that Masayuki uses.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost Hound Episode 20 Discussion

naikou - Apr 14, 2008

40 by susururu »»
Mar 31, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Ghost Hound Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

nihil - Apr 22, 2008

150 by omorashi »»
Dec 29, 2023 9:49 PM

» How many episodes before it's gets good??

RjtheGreat14 - Nov 1, 2023

8 by RjtheGreat14 »»
Dec 28, 2023 6:59 AM

Poll: » Ghost Hound Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

melancholy - Feb 10, 2008

52 by Namiszon »»
Nov 22, 2023 6:41 PM

Poll: » Ghost Hound Episode 19 Discussion

Uuchie - Apr 1, 2008

39 by tingy »»
Sep 28, 2023 10:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.