Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 22, 2015 8:06 PM

Jan 2013
So I was reading reddit comments (I don't even know why, I actually find it more repulsive to look at than youtube comments now) and came across an opinion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/JRPG/comments/3e3dss/ever_wondered_how_much_are_jrpgs_selling_on_steam/

rglitched said:
phillippus said:
What do you mean style? There's so many different types of jrpgs... You have action jrpgs, turn-based jrpgs, strategic jrpgs, isometric jrpgs, jrpgs with plataformer elements... You know the one and only thing they all have in common? Being made in freaking japan... That's all... They have different themes, different tones, different art styles... How the hell can you say that jrpg is more about style when there's so many jrpgs with completely different styles? It's silly to consider South Park as an jrpg just because of a freaking turn-based system...
Agree to disagree. JRPGs have a clear style and SouthPark not only fits, but it obviously and clearly fits.

"rglitched" argues that South Park is a JRPG because of its style.
Do you agree with "rglitched"?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 22, 2015 8:15 PM

Feb 2014
... and Avatar is clearly an anime because it looks like one.
Jul 22, 2015 8:25 PM

Oct 2013
we're all jrpgs

Jul 22, 2015 8:27 PM

Feb 2005
Well, it has Princessu Kenny, he is an anime, so it must be right. Besides, who can contest the infallible knowledge of plebbit?

Someone bring back Chairman Pao so she can ban these morons.
Jul 22, 2015 8:28 PM

May 2010
I won't call it a JRPG unless it's made in Japan, however, I do agree that it otherwise fits the role.

To me, JRPG isn't a genre, if it was, then South Park would fit into it, but it isn't, and so it's not. It's just a divide of styles of a certain kind of genre people have formulated because of the large discrepancy between East and West.

Essentially I'm saying that "Japanese" isn't a genre, it's a place of origin. Find another term for it and I'm willing to accept it.

For another Dark Souls counts as a JRPG (I think? I'm not an expert on this), but it doesn't fit the typical style that I associate with it.
Jul 22, 2015 8:51 PM

Jan 2015
Thrashinuva said:

Essentially I'm saying that "Japanese" isn't a genre, it's a place of origin.

Actually, that makes a lot more sense then trying to make it a "genre". Its just "RPG" with a "J" tagged on to it. So its read "Japanese Role-playing game." South park may be an RPG, but it isn't Japanese, therefore it isn't a JRPG.

Anyways, lets all focus on the real problem here.

The god forsaken company whose name shall not be spoken that acquired Soutpark's IP.
the40ftbadger said:
i have palpable amounts of salt for FO4.
It's like a clown put on my dead dad's clothes and is running around my house going "LOOK I'M YOUR DAD, ISN'T THIS FUN?!?!"

Jul 22, 2015 9:01 PM

Feb 2010
Well the combat is really similar to mario paper which is a jrpg.

But I still wouldn't call it that since I don't call dark souls a wrjpg either.
Jul 22, 2015 9:06 PM

Jan 2013
idk do we call Mystic Quest a JRPG or a WRPG?
Jul 22, 2015 10:36 PM
Mar 2011
i heisate ot call it an RPG in nay modrn coxebt cuase of length myabe of we wer still in fmaicom era when hell the first fire embme game was 25 hours long forget i said anything

if thye can make a short RPG than a 20 plus year oold game then od say its worthits cost as an RPG
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 22, 2015 10:42 PM

Jul 2013
Yeah, it simply isn't. There is no debate to be had here. Sorry people.

Well, South Park is moe, but it still doesn't count.
Jul 22, 2015 10:44 PM

Nov 2008
I don't like using the term JRPG at all because it has all these vague exclusive definitions and causes confusions like that. I've seen Dark Souls called a WRPG. RPG is enough. If it's a turn-based or action RPG, then say that instead of pretentiously making up your own rules as to what is and isn't a JRPG.

Jul 22, 2015 10:55 PM

Jul 2014
JRPG, as a term, just shouldn't be a thing. Pro Yakyuu Spirits is a sports game not a J-Sports game, Elder Scrolls aren't WRPGs, super mario isn't a J-Platformer...ect. South Park TSOT is a turn-based rpg just like Pokemon, assorted FF games, Legend of Dragoon and Super Mario RPG.
Jul 22, 2015 10:56 PM

Nov 2008
^Yeah, other game genres are defined by gameplay mechanics and design, not by those broad stylistic elements. "J" doesn't tell me much of anything about the game and it just causes confusion and silly exclusion.

Jul 23, 2015 12:01 AM

Feb 2015
It's not a JRPG, just because it's turnbased IMO.
Jul 23, 2015 2:07 AM

Jun 2011
ibear said:
JRPG, as a term, just shouldn't be a thing. Pro Yakyuu Spirits is a sports game not a J-Sports game, Elder Scrolls aren't WRPGs, super mario isn't a J-Platformer...ect. South Park TSOT is a turn-based rpg just like Pokemon, assorted FF games, Legend of Dragoon and Super Mario RPG.

JRPG and WRPG are considered separate genres because they have very distinct approaches to gameplay and storytelling, so just RPG is too broad of a term to describe them both. Platformers and sports games on the other hand, have enough in common to not need separate genres.

I haven't played the South Park game, but if it has more in common with a typical JRPG than a WRPG, then I don't think it's wrong to call it a JRPG. Same as I'd consider something like the Souls games or Dragon's Dogma a WRPG.

Just think of the genre names as "Japanese style RPG" and "Western style RPG".
NarmyJul 23, 2015 2:10 AM
Jul 23, 2015 2:56 AM

Jul 2014
Narmy said:
ibear said:

JRPG and WRPG are considered separate genres because they have very distinct approaches to gameplay and storytelling, so just RPG is too broad of a term to describe them both. Platformers and sports games on the other hand, have enough in common to not need separate genres.

I haven't played the South Park game, but if it has more in common with a typical JRPG than a WRPG, then I don't think it's wrong to call it a JRPG. Same as I'd consider something like the Souls games or Dragon's Dogma a WRPG.
So with that, JRPG = turn-based and slower than shit through a funnel, and WRPG = action and not slower than shit through a funnel. It makes much more sense to just call a turn-based rpg "a turn-based rpg" and an action rpg an "action rpg" because that's the only real difference. How the story is told doesn't dictate the genre of game, the gameplay does. They all fall into the umbrella of rpg because of the common elements of customization - stats/weapons/armor/items/party ect... along with other assorted player freedoms that don't exist in the normal adventure or shooter games. The differences between the rpg subsets lies in how the games are played beyond their menus.
Jul 23, 2015 3:03 AM

Apr 2015
LOL They're calling
SOUTH PARK
a JRPG?

*dies of laughter*
Jul 23, 2015 3:05 AM

Jun 2014
It's a better JRPG than 70% of the current market or any shit square is putting out
Jul 23, 2015 4:14 AM
Jul 23, 2015 4:18 AM

Jul 2007
Yes it is a jrpg.

JRPG is a design approach not a country of origin.

To make it simple, JRPG is a genre that was mainly born form japan's fascination with Wizardry, while WRPG/CRPG was born from west's fascination with Ultima.

And Stick of Truth has far more in common with oldschool Final Fantasy games and Earthbound than it does with crpg/wrpg gameplay.
Jul 23, 2015 5:31 AM
Jul 2018
yeah and KISS is a J-ROCK band.
Jul 23, 2015 5:33 AM

Jul 2007
d445 said:

More like Jrock genre was inspired by western glam bands like KISS.
Just like JRPG genre was inspired by western dungeon crawlers like Wizardry
Jul 23, 2015 5:35 AM

Mar 2014
CookingPriest said:
d445 said:

More like video games were inspired by board games.
Jul 23, 2015 5:49 AM
Mar 2011
CookingPriest said:
d445 said:

kiss painted them sleves with kabuki paint so that in valid
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jul 23, 2015 5:50 AM
Mar 2011
Narmy said:
ibear said:

Just think of the genre names as "Japanese style RPG" and "Western style RPG".

no its set an us vs them idea

Jul 23, 2015 5:54 AM
Mar 2011
Jerkhov said:
It's a better JRPG than 70% of the current market or any shit square is putting out

its less woth the money tan most rpgs made my square enix dragon quest 9 for example for some was 100 hours while this game this topic is about is not even 15 ie not woth its cost to buy

Jul 23, 2015 11:51 AM

May 2010
CookingPriest said:
To make it simple, JRPG is a genre that was mainly born form japan's fascination with Wizardry, while WRPG/CRPG was born from west's fascination with Ultima.

Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were born out of fascination of Ultima as well.

So now we have a complex environment here. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are basically what all "JRPG's" are inspired by ultimately, and yet they were inspired by Ultima. This essentially means, that by your logic, going in reverse, Ultima is a JRPG.

However, by your logic, games like Skyrim are WRPG's that were ultimately inspired by Ultima, which, by your definition, is a WRPG.

This means that Ultima is both a JRPG and a WRPG.

This means that all RPG's are WJRPG's.

We might as well cut out the WJ and call them RPG's.

This is what happens when your logic has a contradiction in it.
Jul 23, 2015 3:46 PM

Mar 2013
Can't we just said it is RPG. W and J is just to tell the taste of the two country. Like many western RPG you would see wizard, orc fairy while eastern would be like FF or Persona.
Jul 23, 2015 3:56 PM

May 2010
zetsubousei_hero said:
Can't we just said it is RPG. W and J is just to tell the taste of the two country. Like many western RPG you would see wizard, orc fairy while eastern would be like FF or Persona.

But FF has wizards while Persona has orcs and fairies.

Doesn't hold up.
Jul 23, 2015 4:11 PM

Mar 2013
Thrashinuva said:
zetsubousei_hero said:

But FF has wizards while Persona has orcs and fairies.

Doesn't hold up.

maybe that was a bad example but like user above said, the origin determine if it J or W. J and W is just to categorized the origin and not the difference. Like calling SP a Jrpg is wrong but rpg is fine. J would indicate that it was made by Japanese and Japanese Studio/Team.
zetsubousei_heroJul 23, 2015 4:15 PM
Jul 23, 2015 4:14 PM

Jan 2013
FGAU1912 said:
Jerkhov said:

its less woth the money tan most rpgs made my square enix dragon quest 9 for example for some was 100 hours while this game this topic is about is not even 15 ie not woth its cost to buy
lol who cares about length

I'd rather buy an rpg that involves 3 minutes of dodging your dad's scrotum rather than spend three hours grinding for some generic dragon boss fight or whatever.
Jul 23, 2015 4:28 PM

Jul 2013
Man, you guys sure have time to spare...
Instead of discussing such a stupid little thing, why don't you use that time on something else? Doing literally anything else would be more productive.
Jul 23, 2015 5:06 PM

May 2010
Soul-Master said:
Man, you guys sure have time to spare...
Instead of discussing such a stupid little thing, why don't you use that time on something else? Doing literally anything else would be more productive.

I wasn't aware that you had all of life figured out and understood the meaning of all of lifes accomplishments, rewards, and punishments.

In other words, you shouldn't criticize us for wasting time talking about something on a forum when
1. You've wasted your time talking on this same forum
2. You're on an anime site, meaning you watch anime, not productive, waste of time
3. Your avatar is Shulk, meaning you play games, which leads to nothing productive, waste of time.

One could even speculate that by telling you how much you're wasting your time by telling others they're wasting their time, that I'm in fact wasting my time.

However all of that is wrong, because none of us are omnipotent beings. No, not even you, not even me, not even Ghandi.

Instead, we find pass times because well, we'd rather not pass the time by going to war and killing each other, and so we find ways to entertain each other. The world is filled with opportunities both lost and gained, and they can lie in any facet of life. These opportunities can lead to monetary profit, intellectual gain, or a simple passing of the time at what one could consider fun.

Like me, I find this fun, telling you obvious things that are seemingly impossible to miss, and yet you completely miss these obvious things. I find it fun to point out those things. Time passed successfully. I've burned about 2 minutes not killing someone due to our differences.

Someone might rather spend their time building their wealth, or amassing their knowledge. Someone might rather expand their horizons, as they might in discussions such as these. Others might find time to do each and all of these things at proper times in their life.

Or we could all just fuck it and stop doing things because you think they're stupid.
Jul 23, 2015 5:50 PM

Jan 2013
Syrup- said:
I feel kinda ignored. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest wasn't made in Japan but it is still a RPG tailored for a western audience, made as a "parody" of the Final Fantasy series, released under the FF franchise.

I'm asking about this because it would probably help clarify whether we should consider the South Park game a JRPG too
Jul 23, 2015 6:32 PM

Jan 2013
Syrup- said:
Syrup- said:
I feel kinda ignored. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest wasn't made in Japan but it is still a RPG tailored for a western audience, made as a "parody" of the Final Fantasy series, released under the FF franchise.

I'm asking about this because it would probably help clarify whether we should consider the South Park game a JRPG too
The FF wiki says it was made in Japan
Jul 23, 2015 6:58 PM

May 2010
Syrup- said:
Syrup- said:

I was under the impression that Square made an entirely new game and just put the FF brand on it since it was a successful brand.

I never heard anything about it being made somewhere outside of Japan.
Jul 23, 2015 7:16 PM

Jul 2013
Thrashinuva said:
I wasn't aware that you had all of life figured out and understood the meaning of all of lifes accomplishments, rewards, and punishments.

I have in fact, my beloved friend.

I think that this silly discussion is... pointless. A proper discussion about the game, like whether it is a good game or not is hell of a lot more productive than this one. So is playing games or watching anime. If you do enjoy discussing this... whatever. I just find it stupid
Jul 23, 2015 7:55 PM

May 2010
Soul-Master said:
Thrashinuva said:

I have in fact, my beloved friend.

I think that this silly discussion is... pointless. A proper discussion about the game, like whether it is a good game or not is hell of a lot more productive than this one. So is playing games or watching anime. If you do enjoy discussing this... whatever. I just find it stupid

So what you're basically saying here is that you are in fact the modern day Super Ghandi, and our discussion on how to classify a material to reach the right audience so it can bring out the maximum level of enjoyment is in fact pointless.
Jul 23, 2015 8:04 PM
Mar 2011
OkayCaim said:
FGAU1912 said:

lol who cares about length

I'd rather buy an rpg that involves 3 minutes of dodging your dad's scrotum rather than spend three hours grinding for some generic dragon boss fight or whatever.

i care aboyt value for money esxaplly in RPGS my going rte for an rpg to consder woth of my 60-80 usd is around 2 usd per hour i know that under mimum wage but not mnay games have the bality to have you pay 7 usd per hour on conent

and when i say connect i mean first run 100% completion content [no new game pluses or reruns a la TES games
DateYutakaJul 23, 2015 8:08 PM

Jul 24, 2015 4:26 AM

Jul 2007
Thrashinuva said:
CookingPriest said:

So now we have a complex environment here. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are basically what all "JRPG's" are inspired by ultimately, and yet they were inspired by Ultima. This essentially means, that by your logic, going in reverse, Ultima is a JRPG.

However, by your logic, games like Skyrim are WRPG's that were ultimately inspired by Ultima, which, by your definition, is a WRPG.

Nice strawman but n o.

Final Fantasy follows the "logic" of faux open world of ultima games but while CRPG/WRPG games move on from random encounters, JRPG continues to mesh random turn based combat encounters with real time world. So while in the west from Ultima we move on games that use predisposed enemies spawned on map(ex: Baldur's Gate), in japan the idea of ultima-esque open world meshes together with random encounters and wizardry's combat system(still used to this day in jrpgs), which slowly evolves into what we have in FF.

So yes, Stick of Truth is more of a JRPG than CRPG.
Jul 24, 2015 5:07 AM

May 2010
CookingPriest said:
Thrashinuva said:

Nice strawman but n o.

Final Fantasy follows the "logic" of faux open world of ultima games but while CRPG/WRPG games move on from random encounters, JRPG continues to mesh random turn based combat encounters with real time world. So while in the west from Ultima we move on games that use predisposed enemies spawned on map(ex: Baldur's Gate), in japan the idea of ultima-esque open world meshes together with random encounters and wizardry's combat system(still used to this day in jrpgs), which slowly evolves into what we have in FF.

So is Ultima a JRPG or a WRPG?
Jul 24, 2015 6:53 AM

Jul 2013
Cartman-kun
Jul 24, 2015 6:55 AM

Oct 2013
Fuck it.

Red Dead Redemption is a JRPG

My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jul 24, 2015 9:08 AM
Mar 2011
CookingPriest said:
Thrashinuva said:

Nice strawman but n o.

lol lot of rppg francjoises in japan began on PC show how much you know

Jul 24, 2015 9:10 AM
Mar 2011
CookingPriest said:
Thrashinuva said:

Nice strawman but n o.

the ver trem JRPG is racist its console style rpg vs pc style rpg at best

Jul 25, 2015 1:36 AM

Jan 2013
FGAU1912 said:

i care aboyt value for money esxaplly in RPGS my going rte for an rpg to consder woth of my 60-80 usd is around 2 usd per hour i know that under mimum wage but not mnay games have the bality to have you pay 7 usd per hour on conent

and when i say connect i mean first run 100% completion content [no new game pluses or reruns a la TES games
That's fucking terrible. Quality > Quantity.

Your mindset is the reason why there's so many games with pointless padding in them (ie: Bravely Default, Pokemon, Devil May Cry 4, Ni no Kuni)

When you focus on "Hours played' rather than how much you enjoyed the game, you completely miss the point. Granted, there are some exceptions that benefit from the use of padding, but those examples are far and few.
Jul 25, 2015 4:42 AM
Mar 2011
OkayCaim said:
FGAU1912 said:

That's fucking terrible. Quality > Quantity.

Your mindset is the reason why there's so many games with pointless padding in them (ie: Bravely Default, Pokemon, Devil May Cry 4, Ni no Kuni)

When you focus on "Hours played' rather than how much you enjoyed the game, you completely miss the point. Granted, there are some exceptions that benefit from the use of padding, but those examples are far and few.

my view is hours playble ot cost of the game when your game is shorter than an 20 plus yer old game like the orginal FE then be fucked if its worth the 60 usd

Jul 25, 2015 4:47 AM

Aug 2014
He's full of shit. Dark Souls is a JRPG and South Park is a WRPG.
Jul 25, 2015 11:23 AM
Mar 2011
Voidling said:

souls if more worth its oney as an rpg

Jul 25, 2015 10:12 PM

Aug 2014
FGAU1912 said:
Voidling said:

souls if more worth its oney as an rpg

I agree
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3719 by Midna »»
1 hour ago

» Did anyone here own a Wii U?

Yuno - Yesterday

4 by Rosy_Rose »»
2 hours ago

» Is the idea that a game needs to respect your time a contradiction on the fundamental concept of video games

Reshiram_IX - Sep 21

11 by Nette »»
10 hours ago

» First Pokémon game

ani2016 - Aug 18

36 by Clonazenyan »»
Yesterday, 7:58 PM

» Nintendo is suing Palworld

Dumb - Sep 18

22 by ArabianLuffy »»
Yesterday, 6:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.