Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 21, 2015 8:32 PM

Dec 2014
I'm looking for an anime that is intense and gripping while also containing emotion. I said action because the "gripping" feel that I'm looking for is found most commonly in anime with varying degrees of action. That being said, if you feel an anime fits my category without having action, feel free to recommend it. (Do NOT recommend Clannad, After Story, Anohana, or any other "awww, I cried for so long" type anime.
Emotion may be a bit harder to define. I'm going to reference a few scenes from certain anime that contain the kind of emotion that I'm looking for: Spoilers for the respective anime mentioned are contained, be forewarned.

Code Geass- When Zero gives a speech to rally the Japanese, raising Euphemia as a symbol of hatred and hypocrisy as she dies. Or the ending to this show, Nunally crying over her brother's body as the rest of the world cheers his death.

Attack on Titan- When Mikasa makes the decision to live despite believing all of her loved ones have died.

Fate/Zero- When Kiritsugu shoots down the plane with Natalia on board, only to scream out in emotional agony when finished.

Fate/Stay Night UBW (2014)- When Illya and Berserker are getting killed and Illya just reflects on Berserker's likeness to her father, and she just wanted him to hold her once...

Tokyo Ghoul- Ken carrying his best friend's body through the streets.

Gurren Lagann- When Kamina is pierced and everyone is stunned by watching their friend and charismatic leader fall.

Akame ga Kill- Chelsea's death, as she dies alone in the rain lamenting on her past and the one she had come to love.

FMAB- When Ed punches open the gateway to tell Al's body that he'll be back.

Parasyte When Kana is killed and Shinichi kills the Parasyte with his bare hands.

Many of the scenes I referenced above are sad, but sad itself is not the only factor I am looking for. The anime themselves are irrelevant as well, I'm not looking for a recommendation page for those anime, the specific scenes they contain are what is meant to serve as a reference tool.

Oh, and please for the love of all that is good and holy, don't recommend an action, comedy, Shounen because of one scene 100 episodes back. . . . .

CamTheThiefJul 25, 2015 2:25 PM
Jun 21, 2015 8:44 PM

Feb 2012
Chrno Crusade is ALL about these.

Ao no Exorcist has its moments.
Zetsuen no Tempest also.
Jun 21, 2015 8:47 PM

Jun 2015
Grisaia no Kajitsu- has a lot of the strong emotion due to problems in the characters pasts. at first glance it might seem like a typical harem anime but i promise it isn't and is a must see. it deals with a lot of issue like suicide and trauma and survivors guilt
shinsekai yori- this one is harder to explain. it's more about the atmosphere (for lack of a better word) the story creates
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
Jun 21, 2015 8:49 PM

Dec 2014
fleshcouture said:
Chrno Crusade is ALL about these.

Ao no Exorcist has its moments.
Zetsuen no Tempest also.

Thanks. Chrno Crusade looks interesting, Zetsuen no Tempest was already on my "plan to watch".
I'll likely pass on Ao no Exorcist. I've heard far too much about it being a run o' the mill action comedy shounen, just with a set amount of content.
Jun 21, 2015 8:50 PM

Apr 2014
Jun 21, 2015 8:52 PM

Dec 2014
Caedryn- said:
Grisaia no Kajitsu- has a lot of the strong emotion due to problems in the characters pasts. at first glance it might seem like a typical harem anime but i promise it isn't and is a must see. it deals with a lot of issue like suicide and trauma and survivors guilt
shinsekai yori- this one is harder to explain. it's more about the atmosphere (for lack of a better word) the story creates

Seen Grisaia, loved it. I just didn't reference as it had the emotion more spread out, presented in a less concentrated fashion.

Shinsekai Yori is from what I have heard... Interesting. Thanks though.
Jun 21, 2015 8:53 PM

Dec 2014
Protaku94 said:
Gungrave, definitely
http://myanimelist.net/anime/267/Gungrave
Thank you!
Jun 21, 2015 8:54 PM

Aug 2012
definitely take a look at Shinsekai Yori. one of the best anime I've ever seen.
"Reality can really bum you out" - Ash Ketchum
Jun 22, 2015 1:37 AM

Mar 2015
Black★Rock Shooter
Mirai Nikki
Kara No Kyoukai movies (Theres 8)
Jun 22, 2015 2:13 AM

Jun 2014
Texhnolyze
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 22, 2015 2:19 AM

Sep 2014
- Hunter x Hunter 2011
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
- Kara no Kyoukai
Jun 22, 2015 2:39 AM

Jun 2015
Eureka 7 is an emotional action anime , i really recommend it
about 50 episodes but really worth it !
Jul 25, 2015 2:25 PM

Dec 2014
Bump.
Jul 25, 2015 3:07 PM

Jan 2011
The Lost Canvas - Meiou Shinwa
Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan - Tsuiokuhen
Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Jul 25, 2015 3:12 PM

Mar 2014
Terror in Resonance
+1 Kara no Kyoukai
Jul 25, 2015 4:21 PM

Jun 2013
Ergo Proxy, it's fucking amazing!
Jul 25, 2015 5:27 PM

May 2012
Noein
Dennou Coil
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Seirei no Moribito
Juuni Kokuki
Kurenai
Jul 25, 2015 5:37 PM

Jul 2015
Mai HiME. It's basically like Madoka Magica before Madoka Magica, done by Sunrise. You will cry watching it. Last episode is ****, but otherwise it's one wild ride.
Jul 25, 2015 6:17 PM

Jul 2015
Well most of the good ones we're already said or you seem to have completed already, but here are some decent stragglers:

Yu Yu Hakusho

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic

Deadman Wonderland

Kekkaishi (It was an ok but it had an open ended "this story continues if you read the manga" which annoyed the heck out of me, so its borderline recommended)

+1 to Hunter x Hunter 2011, Ergo Proxy, Ghost on a Shell, and Eureka 7
DragohammerJul 25, 2015 7:18 PM

More topics from this board

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - Apr 16

10 by ST63LTH »»
1 hour ago

» Movies

BitChilly - 6 hours ago

5 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

» Battle romance manhwa/manga/manhua

NaTsu879 - 6 hours ago

1 by dowzer »»
2 hours ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

23 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
4 hours ago

» Anime where guy hits girl back

Borito_Uzumaki - May 6, 2017

48 by xthewarwithinx »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.