Forum Settings
Forums
New
Which sequel insulted what came before the most?
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 11, 2015 8:11 PM

Jun 2010
Quite a few of these I don't think should be even included in the poll.

Thought of voting for Psycho Pass 2 but I didn't care for the first season much to begin with, Fam the Silver Wing was close as was Eureka Seveb AO but since I dropped that it didn't seem fair to vote for it.

In the end I hit "Other" for Kiddy Girl-and. Just a downright terrible show and terrible sequel to the funny Kiddy Grade. Kiddy Grade wasn't amazing or anything either but it was fine and enjoyable, Kiddy Girl was a disgusting mess with terrible characters and a terrible mary sue villain. As well as reversing a lot of what Kiddy Grade did to change the galaxy they live in. Which is just an incredibly obnoxious thing to do to anyone who liked Kiddy Grade and the main characters from it.

I see Gemini of the Meteor is still as unpopular as ever but I didn't really hate that or anything either. Not sure why there are so many votes for SAO 2, it had issues but there was far less stupid stuff than in the first season.
Jul 11, 2015 8:12 PM

Jan 2012
Code Geass R2 although I actually enjoyed it. Ending was rushed though.
---
Jul 11, 2015 9:09 PM

Mar 2015
For me? Darker Than Black. For all the love I had for that phenomenal first season, that second season was such an unbelievable let down. I hated almost everything about that season.

Jul 11, 2015 9:13 PM

Nov 2012
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works TV S2
Jul 11, 2015 9:15 PM

Jul 2015
Make gifs at gifsoup.com
MAKE GIFS AT GIFSOUP.COM MAKE GIFS AT GIFSOUP.COM

Jul 11, 2015 9:29 PM

Jul 2015
Tokyo Ghoul Root A, left a bitter taste in my mouth.
Jul 12, 2015 12:46 AM

Mar 2012
I don't think anyone expected much from Psycho Pass 2 after it was revealed that Fukami and Urobuchi weren't on board and the show would only be 11 episodes long. As for my answer it's probably a tie up between FMA Conqueror of Shamballa and Evangelion 3.0.

I love the original FMA series and I still stand by that it is a great deal better than Brotherhood. But you will not get an argument from me about Shamballa. The ending was okay and I don't really have much to say about the overarching themes, but the constant references to real life people and events had me either laughing or groaning for the majority of its run time. It's so fucking dumb.

I think the 7 point difference between my scores for 2.0 and 3.0 demonstrates my disappointment pretty well. How do you follow up a sequel that takes a franchise in a new direction and shows a lot of promise for future iterations? That's easy. You retcon the shit out of everything so you can force it back into its roots in a feeble attempt to imitate what's already been done and create a ton of plot holes in the process! I highly doubt that Anno's going to be able to give Mari a backstory, explain away the gazillion plot holes and give the franchise a somewhat satisfactory ending in one 2-3 hour movie.
Jul 12, 2015 2:30 PM

Mar 2015
Alice said:

Fate/stay night UBW is basically a remake of the other shitty adaption, not sure why this is listed here..

It isn't a remake
Jul 12, 2015 3:40 PM
Oct 2010
Oreimo is probably the worst offender. It was like a junkie acknowledging his problems and then going right back and doing the same shit that was messing him up.

Psycho Pass 2.. self explanatory.

Akito the Exiled 3 - The fuck was up with the first half of this movie?

SNAFU - Humongous change of tone from the first season, replacing the comedy with some sort of seminar on human observation along with writing tips on how to be as annoyingly vague as possible.
Jul 12, 2015 4:08 PM

Oct 2013
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa, Eureka Seven AO and Log Horizon 2nd Season are my top 3 if I go off that list alone.
Jul 12, 2015 4:49 PM

Mar 2011
For me it has to be the OreImo (little sister can't be this cute) specials 2. It was quite possibly the most frustrating/idiotic ending to an anime series that I have ever seen. After all of the build up from the episodes before:

Also I know the list is pretty extensive already, but I'm pretty sure that a lot of people were disappointed by Nisemonogatari, which had some pretty high expectations following Bakemonogatari.

Oh and can somebody please explain to me where all the hate is coming from for the F/SN: Unlimited Blade Works TV adaptation? Given the amazing quality of the animation and the depth given to the characters (granted the plot can be pretty slow at times) I can't understand why people were so disappointed in it.
Harems don't exist in America. If one guy is constantly surrounded by beautiful girls, then he's probably the gay friend.
Jul 12, 2015 5:52 PM

Nov 2012
offmodel said:
I have to go with Macross 7, just because the drop off in quality was so great. Macross Plus is, to me, one of the high points of animation, but especially for the dogfight between Isamu and Gould. Then you add in the Yoko Kanno soundtrack (I still think it's her best, Voices, Pulse, Idol Talk and Information High are amazing songs), the incredibly innovative use of cg (I'd take Macross Plus cg from 1994 over a lot of 2000's cg) and the memorable cast, and that makes it an all time great anime for me. Going back before it, I think DYRL is one of the best anime films for the same reasons (OST, animation, characterization). Then, you've got Macross 7 which was just kind of meh, unemorable cast, okay OST, not particularly well animated...

To back that up a little, look at these clips:
Macross DYRL, Max vs. Milia

Macross Plus, Isamu vs. Gould

Basara vs. fleet in Macross Dynamite 7

One of these things is not like the other.

I'm glad I stopped after the first episode of Macross 7, and truth be told, I still don't think very highly of Macross Frontier either.

Setsuei said:
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa

This was actually a good ending to the series where the characters had to make real sacrifices. The original FMA anime was never a traditional shounen with a happy fairy tale ending. Anyone going into the movie expecting that is not paying attention. It would have been tonally and thematically inconsistent for them to end it the way Brotherhood did.

itsthatguy said:
For me it has to be the OreImo (little sister can't be this cute) specials 2. It was quite possibly the most frustrating/idiotic ending to an anime series that I have ever seen.

This definitely takes the cake. I don't think I've ever seen such dramatic character and plot assassinations on the scale of Oreimo in my life, and for it to accomplish all of this in a matter of a few minutes is quite the feat.

itsthatguy said:
Oh and can somebody please explain to me where all the hate is coming from for the F/SN: Unlimited Blade Works TV adaptation? Given the amazing quality of the animation and the depth given to the characters (granted the plot can be pretty slow at times) I can't understand why people were so disappointed in it.

In order for something to qualify as good animation in my book it needs to be consistent with its quality rather than have a few sparse moneyshot setpieces that last only a few seconds while everything else in between looks like it was left to the interns on the weekend.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Jul 12, 2015 6:04 PM

Jul 2014
OreImo Specials and Minami-Ke Okawari. I know I'm forgetting something, but those are the big 'fuck yous'.
Jul 12, 2015 6:05 PM

Dec 2012
How can you judge animation by still images? that's low quality art, not bad animations. Not to mention that most of these are there for less than a second, they are hardly noticeable unless you pause. If you try to dissect any anime with the quality of it's literal frames, no anime would be considered good in that aspect.
Jul 12, 2015 6:06 PM

May 2012
Code Geass R2, it was a piece of shit. At least the first season was coherent fun.
Jul 12, 2015 6:14 PM

Jun 2013
MightyM16 said:
Tokyo Ghoul root A...by far

UltrumBeats said:
Tokyo Ghoul Root A, left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I guess the saying really is "different strokes for different folks."

Personally, the grueling and brooding nature of Root A seemed to fit the initial tone of the series much better than the more battle-shounen esque first season. The show managed to drag its audience along, allowing them to experience the sheer pain of the characters by utilizing limited soundtracks and implied scenes/actions, rather than forced ones.

In terms of sequels I thought were bad? There are quite a few, but Psycho Pass 2 would take the cake. Just the sheer dichotomousness of the quality between the first and second season was overwhelming.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Jul 13, 2015 4:01 AM

Jan 2012
I went for Log Horizon s2 , even though I will say that it was either that or Shakugan no Shana III .... It was a difficult choice however.
Jul 13, 2015 3:05 PM

Jan 2015
Shakugan no shana 3. It is the only show I have ever given a 4 to. I hate it!
Jul 13, 2015 3:26 PM

Apr 2014
Ephemer4l said:
I went for Log Horizon s2 , even though I will say that it was either that or Shakugan no Shana III .... It was a difficult choice however.
What was wrong with the second season of Log Horizon, I thought it was pretty good just like the first season.
Jul 13, 2015 6:39 PM

Mar 2011
tsudecimo said:
How can you judge animation by still images? that's low quality art, not bad animations. Not to mention that most of these are there for less than a second, they are hardly noticeable unless you pause. If you try to dissect any anime with the quality of it's literal frames, no anime would be considered good in that aspect.

I have to agree with this too, although that series of images did make me lol pretty hard. If that's the only reason then I can't particularly understand why people were so disappointed by the second half of the series unless it was for the plot. As for me, I played the VN years ago and I've been pretty excited about the quality of the adaptation that the route has gotten.
Harems don't exist in America. If one guy is constantly surrounded by beautiful girls, then he's probably the gay friend.
Jul 13, 2015 6:59 PM

Oct 2012
Damn straight Tokyo Ghoul better be winning. The ending of that anime was the laziest ending I've ever seen. Twenty minutes of walking while ignoring all the major plot points that they could have included. It was a disgrace.
Jul 15, 2015 12:54 AM
Jan 2015
tokyo ghoul. Is this even a contest. I feel sad for the anime only watchers, well at lest they didnt have to wait 1 month for ishida to break silence and announce that the manga was getting a sequel like the manga readers had to go through.
Jul 15, 2015 1:02 PM
Jul 2015
I would say Psycho-Pass 2, but I wasn't expecting much anyway.
Jul 15, 2015 9:25 PM

Feb 2013
When I saw the thread title I immediately thought of Darker Than Black 2. It was a huge shift from just about everything from the first season.

I'm surprised that Tokyo Ghoul 2 is winning this. From my perspective, 2 was just about the same garbage as the first season.

Why not Mardock Scramble 3? It was too short and should have just been part of the 2nd movie.
Jul 16, 2015 1:01 AM

Jul 2014
Around a dozen people said OreImo specials by now, still not in the poll, what's your angle, OP?
Jul 16, 2015 2:28 AM

Dec 2010
Psycho Pass 2. That shit wasn't even as good as the first season. Also, Makishima > Kamui.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2015 3:56 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Gunslinger Girl Il Teatrino. I liked the first season so much, and was excite to have more, but, man, the series looked worse than the first season, and departed from its more brooding tone. The change of studio was not a good idea.
I'd also mention Hitsugi no Chaika S2 as a disappointing sequel. It wasn't terrible for the most part, but the last 2 episodes are the definition of rushed ending. At least 2 more episodes would've done the job. Who knows why they cut it off at 10.
Jul 16, 2015 5:07 AM
Jul 2015
everything
Jul 16, 2015 5:17 AM

Jul 2013
I said Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion which is one of only a few I've seen on that list.

The first part was great and the third but the second was just boring and had nothing happen.
Jul 16, 2015 9:43 AM

Jul 2013
I pray every night that Tokyo Ghoul will get a GOOD adaption that actually follows the manga.
paeprheartJul 18, 2015 2:44 AM
Jul 19, 2015 4:26 AM
Oct 2014
Why is this anime not in the list? Madoka Magica movie 3: Rebellion. This movie literally rebels against the audience. It's like Gen Urobuchi saying FUCK YOU to us all. The movie does not give any new character (do not even mention Charlotte). It also ends in the most insulting way I have ever seen, completely ruining the perfect ending of the original series.

I am done. I done really done with Madoka Magica and Gen Urobuchi.
Jul 19, 2015 4:47 AM

Nov 2014
bibotot said:
Why is this anime not in the list? Madoka Magica movie 3: Rebellion. This movie literally rebels against the audience. It's like Gen Urobuchi saying FUCK YOU to us all. The movie does not give any new character (do not even mention Charlotte). It also ends in the most insulting way I have ever seen, completely ruining the perfect ending of the original series.

lel

Jul 19, 2015 4:54 AM

Nov 2014
AzureDaora said:
bibotot said:

lel
let me reiterate my lel
Remember what Homura's wish is?

Jul 19, 2015 5:09 AM

Sep 2014
bibotot said:

I think the Rebellion was significantly better than the prequel. I liked the ending much more, because Homura actually did what she wanted to.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» If your favorite anime exploded in popularity to the point that everyone in socmed talks about it, would you like it or not?

Rinrinka - 3 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
1 minute ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 8 hours ago

21 by AE-2 »»
8 minutes ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 8 hours ago

25 by MasterTasuke »»
8 minutes ago

» What anime song (intro, outro, j-pop) of the ringtone do you use right now?

Kiryotsu - 7 hours ago

13 by Zettaiken »»
11 minutes ago

» Let's Hope the Whole "Girls Golfing" Is A New Thing That Keeps Going...

simonitro - 7 hours ago

6 by MasterTasuke »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.