Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 2, 2007 3:10 PM

Oct 2006
Ok... Someone explain to me ,before I even think about talking more about the ep, this: ...
Mello has Kira's old note, Kira as Misa's note, he gives up possession of it and yet Misa has a 3rd note? I must have missed something....

maybe I'm watching too much stuff at the same time ^^
KayrhandrosMay 2, 2007 5:31 PM
May 2, 2007 5:05 PM

Apr 2007
All though I'm not up to date with the anime but I've read the manga and well.. (no spoilers if you've seen 25 so don't worry..) The third note book came from Rem when she died. I don't exactly remember how they all came to have what they do have because it's been awhile since I read it now..
May 2, 2007 5:32 PM

Oct 2006
phew... thanks MistaNight. I had totally forgot about that fact.

I can talk about the ep without that thought haunting me now^^ ...

So It was ok, I guess... I've been kinda getting the felling that it's not the same guy writing the script.. things are less spectacular... still didn't get the deal with making Shinigami's look dumb.. oh well
So anyway... No Near.. Light masterminded a plan to get the note back and he did, he even got to know Mello's real name how ever he overlooked the fact that his dad wouldn't kill anyone. (kinda made me sick when, knowing he's father was in the death toll, he still only thought about killing Mello.) Also seems Mello avoids owning the Note for some reason. Wonder what that is...
May 2, 2007 9:37 PM

Apr 2007
So, the third shinigami left already, i was hoping to see more of him.
May 3, 2007 11:14 AM
Mar 2007
I believe Mello was avoiding posessing the DN because up until now, he didn't know the 13-day rule was fake. This was my favorite ep since the one where Rem died. I have made it a point to read the manga as the anime airs, so I don't know anything for sure. But I get the feeling Shidoh or other shinigami will be back soon enough!
May 3, 2007 4:18 PM

Mar 2007
i thought it was ok. i'm starting to feel pity for misa as well. how did mello survive the explosion?
May 3, 2007 4:26 PM

Oct 2006
Shanigami said:
I believe Mello was avoiding posessing the DN because up until now, he didn't know the 13-day rule was fake.
Could be a good explanation but even after the shinigami had guaranteed to him that rule was fake, he still avoided picking the note when the base was raided.

yuuko said:
how did mello survive the explosion?
don't ask ^^
May 4, 2007 12:23 PM

Apr 2007
To me it looks like the episode went pretty fast as opposed to the manga. When I read it, it had a lot more impact. In this episode it looks like they crammed 4 chapters in one instead of the usual 2.

Anyway there's only 8 episodes left (3 1/2 volumes in manga). I hope the ending is portrayed well.

May 5, 2007 1:15 AM

Oct 2006
I'm pretty disappointed - I've lost most of my interest in the series since L died. Near and Mello just aren't cutting it.
May 5, 2007 7:20 AM

Mar 2007
This episode actually restored my faith in the series. Near sucks balls, and is too much of an obvious L-clone. But Mello is cool. He's original, and he's different to anyone else we've seen so far.

He's actually as lot like Light, now that I think about it - Except, more evil.

May 5, 2007 6:06 PM

Aug 2006
Omega_Pirate said:
But Mello is cool. He's original, and he's different to anyone else we've seen so far.

He's actually as lot like Light, now that I think about it - Except, more evil.

I couldn't agree more. Mello is the one keeping this series still interesting after L's Death
May 5, 2007 7:47 PM

Apr 2007
PandaPuff said:
To me it looks like the episode went pretty fast as opposed to the manga. When I read it, it had a lot more impact. In this episode it looks like they crammed 4 chapters in one instead of the usual 2.

I completely agree, I got around to catching up the anime today and wow did they ever cram things in to one episode. Not to mention cut about another episodes worth of material from the manga.. Felt way to rushed and certainly had horrible pacing..
May 6, 2007 4:16 AM

Feb 2005
I noticed this episode was a bit cramped...they dropped out the part where the mafia hideout was attacked by SPK troops (and that Shinigami stole their helmets XD)...
But still, I must say I am looking forward as to how they will portray the ending >:D
Mar 6, 2008 3:54 AM

Feb 2008
can anyone explain this situation of three note books o_o I'm confused (and why didn't light write the name of Mello in the DN before returning the DN, would be really something for him)
Nov 27, 2008 6:53 PM

Oct 2008
oh what a sad episode.It's so sad that his dad died.
Mar 31, 2009 2:26 PM

Mar 2008
Light is such a bastard using his father like that ¬___¬ he knew that the eye-trade would halve his remaining lifespan but was probably planning to kill him after 13 days to save his own skin anyway ¬____¬ gah~~ hate for Light ¬___¬

though I feel so for Soichiro.. though maybe it was 'nice'? of Light to let him die thinking that his son hadn't turned into a genocidal psychopath..

& Mello~~ keeping the series going~~ *waves little flags*
May 10, 2009 10:04 PM

Jun 2008
hahaha! that new death god's so persistent and direct that its so funny.... he actually just lifted the notebook out of mello's hands.. ahahaha.. and if ryuk loves apples, he loves chocolates. hahaha.. and he's scared of a human (mello).. hahaha!

anyway.. it thought that there were only 2 notebooks??? now its 3?? the one with misa, which is now with light, the one with ryuk, which light just relinquished ownership, and the one with mello.. why are there 3?!?!? i'm confused..hahaha.
May 10, 2009 10:06 PM

Jun 2008
oh ok.. i just read other posts and oh yeah, i forgot about rem's notebook...
Jul 20, 2009 6:22 AM
Jul 2009
-Chrissi-chan- said:
Light is such a bastard using his father like that ¬___¬ he knew that the eye-trade would halve his remaining lifespan but was probably planning to kill him after 13 days to save his own skin anyway ¬____¬ gah~~ hate for Light ¬___¬

though I feel so for Soichiro.. though maybe it was 'nice'? of Light to let him die thinking that his son hadn't turned into a genocidal psychopath..

& Mello~~ keeping the series going~~ *waves little flags*

It would've been interesting to see what would happen after the thirteen days. The sad thing is, I'm almost positive Light would've 'sacrificed' him or whatever, just as he nearly killed his sister. I think that earlier in the series he said something about killing his family if necessary.

Light has a tendency to take advantage of people's weaknesses
- Misa's obsession with him (he even told her he loved her in this episode which is obviously not the case)
- his father's guilt for picking his daughter over several lives (by making him do the deal)
- Rem's protection over Misa
-L's loneliness

The sad thing is that when his father was dying, his main concern was Mello and killing him.

Who owns which notebook is beginning to confuse me though..
So the new Shinigami has one, Misa has one.. who else has one? Ryuk? Light? Police force? Mafia? Ehhhh...
Jul 27, 2009 5:04 AM
Feb 2009
bliepbliepbliep said:
can anyone explain this situation of three note books o_o I'm confused (and why didn't light write the name of Mello in the DN before returning the DN, would be really something for him)

I don't think Light knew what Mello looked like did he ever see him or his picture?
FuglesJul 27, 2009 9:33 AM
Aug 2, 2009 12:29 AM

Dec 2008
light pretending to care for his father
geh disgusting
Aug 8, 2009 2:01 AM

Aug 2009
I completely get confused with all this Death Notes. But ok, just need to think all over.
Aug 22, 2009 5:22 AM

May 2009
lights dads death =
40% sad it was his dad who died
60% sad his dad died without killing Mello
at least thats what i think ...
Aug 29, 2009 1:12 PM
Apr 2009
The thing is, I can't feel sad when Light's family dies..

Cause I have no idea if Light is REALLY sad, or if he is just acting. He let his father take the eyes with no problem at all. And once the dad was dying, he only was thinking about killing mello..

Although he then cried, but he acted a lot more in this series.. So I have no idea if he really cares |:
Oct 31, 2009 8:59 AM

Oct 2009
This series is a complete mess, but I will admit that it's still pretty good...that's all I have to say.
Nov 19, 2009 9:48 AM
Oct 2009
i soooo hate light right now ... aaaaah i mean he was thinking about stupid stuff when his father was about to die .. not to mention how he acted after that pretending to cry ... i hate him hate him hate him ...
Dec 5, 2009 1:06 PM

Jan 2009
enkil said:
light pretending to care for his father
geh disgusting

Yeah, I'm pretty convinced those tears weren't sincere. He was the one who killed him anyway by making him trade half of his lifespam... But you have to agree: Light's back. All that sharade with the death notes and giving up his death note so his father would see hid lifespam and using everyone like that... That's what Kira's all about. It's gona be interesting though watching him deal with Near and Mello, which are proving to be quite a handful...

Dec 20, 2009 10:31 PM

Mar 2009
Now i got the reason why he got rid of his notebook for a little bit.
He probably knew either one of his partners or his dad would probably end up dying using the notebook to attempt to catch Melo. also by having the death god eyes. and so he gave it away so none of them would know he's Kira. It was smart but evil because you can tell he didn't care when his dad passed. :\
great episode though, hope they catch Melo soon. <.<

Jan 5, 2010 11:57 AM

Jul 2009
aww, Mr. Yagami's passing was so sad. Did he realize after Light held the notebook to him that he was Kira. I know he said that he's glad that his son isn't Kira, but thought that maybe when light held the notebook and his dad died...he saw something. oh well. Sidoh was very funny though. Light is getting so ruthless.
Jan 10, 2010 12:27 AM

Jan 2009
Really strange ep.
I wonder if Light was really sad about his father's death. Or was it all an act?

Feb 2, 2010 10:39 PM

Nov 2009
Tbh im still hoping for L to come out of nowhere and make some kind of come back but it seems more and more less likely now... Its sad thinking back to it now, how L was all depressed that day he died
Mar 14, 2010 1:11 PM

Jan 2010
yeah i can't belive that his dad was dying and he was talking stuff like:write his name in the notebook fast before you die O.o

i really don't seem to realise if he has a little goodness left in him or not :\

PS:i loled when the new shinigami(forgot his name~shidoh or something) got scared by Mello xD
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jun 5, 2010 11:45 AM

Feb 2009
Not bad of an episode, the "plan" was really good, Yagami was just too human to be part of it, he was a great character.
Aug 31, 2010 12:27 PM
Jun 2010
too bad. as much as i wanted chief to find out who light actually was, it's probably best he die not knowing.

i'm glad he didn't write the name, it sickens me light would want him to. he knows the penalty: he who writes in this note shall spend an eternity in neither heaven nor hell

that would be scary
Sep 9, 2010 1:09 PM

May 2010
Ehh, Okay, pretty stupid, really going downhill....
Oct 16, 2010 4:41 PM

Feb 2010
He wasn't really caring for his father, he just wanted him to kill Mello.
Nov 11, 2010 6:05 AM

Apr 2010
The worst episode.. Things are getting from bad to worst. I hate the part when his dad died and he was thinking only of how to kill Mello. He's the worst!!!

Nov 12, 2010 8:15 AM

May 2010
The scene with the other shinigami and Mello and his gang was funny :P

Fugles said:
bliepbliepbliep said:

I don't think Light knew what Mello looked like did he ever see him or his picture?

He got to see a drawing of him. But maybe that's not enough to use the death note, maybe you have to see the victim on a photo/film or in person...

All those death notes are confusing but I think it's like this:

3 death notes: from Ryuk, Rem and the other shinigami

before this episode:
- Misa and Light had 2 death notes, one from Ryuk and one from Rem.
- Mello and his gang had one, the one from the other shinigami.

after this episode:
- Misa has one, the one from Rem.
- The police has one, the one from Ryuk.
- The other shinigami has got his one back.

If I'm right, Light needs to keep Misa's notebook with him wherever he goes, in order to keep his memories. Misa still "officially" owns it, so she keeps her memories too.
dedean16Nov 12, 2010 8:47 AM
Nov 15, 2010 6:06 PM

Oct 2008
Damn Yagami papa. ;-;
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Nov 19, 2010 10:35 PM
Feb 2010
I personally think that so far the 2nd part after L dies has lost its organization and planning. It's messy and not really developed. But despite that Near is so cute!!!!!

~ A woman's determination can move the mightiest of stones~
Dec 4, 2010 12:28 PM

Aug 2010
Great acting, light, just great!! What a brilliant future you are making for yourself ONLY!
Dec 18, 2010 5:58 AM

Apr 2009
I cried quite a big more mr yagami :(
he was a very charismatic character :(
Jan 14, 2011 9:23 PM

Apr 2010
Well, that was sad, seeing Mr. Yagami, he was such a good character. It pisses me off that he dies thinking his son isn't Kira, oh Light you little...

Interesting...

Feb 8, 2011 5:28 PM

Jan 2011
Definitely the most emotional episode in the series aside from the finale.

I was confused about why Sayu was in a wheelchair, in the beginning. I know she didn't actually get shot or anything..so I didn't understand that.

Light was sloppy with his plan (as usual) and resulted in the death of his father. If they had simply left the building once they found the note, it would have worked out okay. With Light and his inability to lose, he wanted to defeat Mello and instead caused his father's demise.

Ryuk's words of.."Anyone who uses the note becomes miserable." was the best line they could have used to end this episode.
Mar 18, 2011 1:14 PM

May 2010
This show is getting really boring.
Apr 5, 2011 2:26 AM

Feb 2011
damn sayu is in state of shock and his father dies.. i'm disappointed light ;_;
Jul 11, 2011 6:03 AM

Sep 2010
God damn it, old man.
Nov 24, 2011 4:44 PM

Dec 2010
theberserker said:
I couldn't agree more. Mello is the one keeping this series still interesting after L's Death

Viral said:
This episode actually restored my faith in the series. Near sucks balls, and is too much of an obvious L-clone. But Mello is cool. He's original, and he's different to anyone else we've seen so far.

My thoughts exactly. Until now, I thought that I'm the only one who isn't hating Mello(idk why's all this hate concerning him). I'm definitely still watching this show just because of Mello.
Apr 12, 2012 11:59 PM

Nov 2011
This show just proves how awesome anime can be
Jul 23, 2012 11:11 AM

Jun 2012
Here's some questions I have about this episode:

1. Mello wants to know if the Death Note he has is the one Kira used. Wouldn't the names Kira wrote in it still be there? Do the names mysteriously disappear or am I missing something?

2. Light tells his dad that once the names of the mafia members disappear they're dead, but how does he know that? (Without giving away that he is Kira)

3. Ryuk wrote in the Death Note that if it's ever destroyed, anyone who touched it will die. Well when the building blew up (and I'm assuming that Death Note was destroyed) no one questioned why they were still alive.

I loved how Light just casually pulled the other Death Note out of his jacket while his dad was dying. XD
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does Death Note deserve a remake? ( 1 2 )

Kenny_Stryker - Nov 2, 2017

55 by Absurdo_N »»
Yesterday, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UFO - Feb 14, 2007

110 by misterskinny »»
Apr 25, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UFO - Feb 7, 2007

132 by misterskinny »»
Apr 25, 9:02 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Xinil - Feb 2, 2007

109 by misterskinny »»
Apr 25, 8:37 PM

» how many people have read or watch bl ( 1 2 )

meltrix2017 - Apr 21

68 by Absurdo_N »»
Apr 24, 12:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.