Forum Settings
Forums

Why do some people only listen to Japanese music or anime music?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 26, 2015 4:25 PM

Mar 2013
BlueScarf said:
Because those weeaboo otaku fujoshi nip loving nerds are lying. Gaijins are infatuated with the music of a culture they have no understanding of simply because it's foreign. They are unable to conform or assimilate with their own culture's music because of their social ineptitude so they seek an exotic and ultimately different form of music to escape from their harsh reality of perversions.

There's nothing wrong about it if you're a nip though.

Quite a far-fetched assertion. I don't listen to Japanese music in my spare time, but for all it might have its idiosyncracies, the music which is popularised by anime sounds largely Western in character (it does sometimes draw from traditional Japanese music, however I hear strong Western influences its structures, harmonies and instrumentation; I have heard songs draw from Western pop and soundtracks draw from Western classical music), so because Japanese musicians have embraced Western music (which is inevitable given the size and power of Western media), it's absurd to suggest that they can't engage with their own culture when they are engaging with at least part of it through the foreign media they consume.

But I think there's some truth to what you say - people do use cartoons, music and other distractions as a blanket to cover themselves with while they hide from reality, but I think that applies to anything rather than Japanese music consumption exclusively.
May 26, 2015 5:09 PM

Nov 2011
KawaiiWeeabz said:
Dunno, man. 1/3 of the music i listen is in japanese, the other 2/3 are in english or without lyrics. I'm just really picky about what i listen to. I think that's also the case for a lot of people.
Doesn't really make you sound picky tbh.
May 26, 2015 10:20 PM

Aug 2011
I don't listen to Japanese music because it's Japanese, but there's a lot of Japanese music that I happen to like in addition to Western pop, rock, classical, folk, etc. I like a lot of J-pop because it sounds positive and uplifting and I don't have to care about the lyrics.
May 26, 2015 10:21 PM

Apr 2014
If all your doing is only listening to Japanese music and nothing else, its called being a weeaboo. (Unless your a Japanese person who lives in japan)
May 26, 2015 10:26 PM

Feb 2012
Why do some people make threads complaining about other people they have never met and that might not even exist and then proceed to place themselves above the said people?

No need to answer though, I already know why.
May 26, 2015 10:27 PM

May 2012
I listen to all sorts of music and not just japanese songs from anime or vocaloid. Especially covers in youtube.
save all the cute girls from ntr manga
May 27, 2015 12:34 AM

May 2015
They do?
It's obviously fine if they understand Japanese (though they would be missing out on so many good artists), but if they don't, why would anyone want to listen to gibberish set to some music?

May 27, 2015 3:15 AM

Sep 2012
Those people are either Japanese, or wannabe japanese.
Understandable.
May 27, 2015 9:34 AM

Jul 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Because it turns them on

Having a boner is the key
May 29, 2015 12:37 AM

Jun 2014
mayukachan said:
Fiction-S said:
I've met a handful who just prefer Japanese music over western music because it sounds more pleasing to them.

i like japanese r&b over any other language
idk why, the style and voices are so nice
like azu for example

Not over any other language, but I love J R&B too!
Just found a new song to like haha :)

If anyone's interested - Miss You by m-flo feat. Melody

I don't mean this in an offensive way, but singing Japanese songs maybe gives them an outlet to 'speak' Japanese even though they don't know what they're singing? I dunno, just a thought.
May 30, 2015 10:20 AM

Jun 2013
I only listen to supercell, One OK Rock, and nano. Only them.

I'm not too comfortable listening to songs where in I couldn't understand what they're saying at all. At least the artists I mentioned above speak a few English.
May 30, 2015 2:42 PM

Jun 2014
because they want to listen to what nippon listens to and also because their homecountry has such trash mainstream music it spoils the quality of all other genres/areas of music from their home country. they like how japanese rolls off the tongue of the singers in such a soft and powerful way that they can't believe this is real. regardless of how many artists in their home country are doing the same thing or have been for decades.

or because idols and high pitch voices idk
"madoka magica is just so ridiculous I mean who is going to believe such a shoddy melodramatic tragedy could have any commercial or moral value"

May 30, 2015 9:11 PM

Jun 2014
Scrom said:
If all your doing is only listening to Japanese music and nothing else, its called being a weeaboo. (Unless your a Japanese person who lives in japan)

You guys use the term weeaboo so often nowadays that it almost sickens me. Firstly, you have no clue of the reasoning behind them only listening to Japanese music and you guys group everybody who does in one single group. Secondly, this obession with the term weeaboo is making so many people sound uneducated in the subject of definitions.

I listen to anime music only, but its not because I hate Western music. I've never been interested in music to begin with (loooooooooong before I started watching anime hardcore), but I like to rewatch anime openings of shows I've seen.

Pls guys.
May 30, 2015 11:30 PM
May 2015
Hello there! I mostly listen to Japanese songs and only some English..
I like Japanese music because I find it unique.. i mean it tells a story of what happens to the certain character and all. I just find it unique..the lyrics, the way it sounds and all.. I am repeating myself haha.

I am not limited to anime music only =)
May 30, 2015 11:36 PM

Oct 2013
it's more accessible, and its industry it's quite big compared to the rest of the countries, I mainly listen American, British, Japanese and Mexican music
May 30, 2015 11:40 PM
Nov 2014
because here in America we have songs feature the words 'ass', and 'titty' said over and over again
The first time I had sex was like my first time riding a bike, my dad was holding me from behind
May 31, 2015 12:05 AM

Oct 2013
Quebeq said:
because here in America we have songs feature the words 'ass', and 'titty' said over and over again
no problem with that tbh
May 31, 2015 2:28 AM

Apr 2013
I'm generally really specific with what I watch and listen to. I listen to soundtracks and songs from any medium. Games, anime, live action. If I like it then that's all that matters.
Other than soundtracks I usually listen to progressive metalcore (very specific I know), but I do enjoy most genre's of REAL music, you know the kind of stuff with instruments and meaningful lyrics and what-not, though I don't listen to a wide variety of music often.

I did have a phase where I was only listening to some J-rock/J-pop, but as other people have already said it does get quite boring quickly.

Ahhh... Is this the blood... The blood of the Dark Soul?
Jun 6, 2015 10:00 AM

Mar 2010
Perhaps they really like music that sounds like Anime themes/OPs/EDs.
Because most/80% or so of Anime OPs/EDs have the same generic sound.
Jun 6, 2015 3:13 PM
Jul 2018
Radiene said:
I only listen to supercell, One OK Rock, and nano. Only them.

I'm not too comfortable listening to songs where in I couldn't understand what they're saying at all. At least the artists I mentioned above speak a few English.

I'm not sure if I'd really count bands like One OK Rock, Coldrain, Crossfaith, My First Story etc as being the same thing since they all are very obviously influenced by Western music. Same thing with Nano, since she's bilingual.
Jun 6, 2015 4:34 PM

Sep 2014
They just like the langauge? IDK. I don't listen to much japanese stuff other than the openings (and ost - but most of them don't have lyrics so it doesn't matter), but if people like it there is nothing wrong with it.
Jun 6, 2015 11:10 PM

Nov 2013
Well, I've got loads of CD's, mostly metal from bands around the world... And also a USB drive full of anime OP/ED/OSTs I liked, but mostly Touhou arranges of many genres, ranging from electro to metal.

Touhou arranges are a gift to this world.

:3
/人 ‿‿ 人\
Jun 7, 2015 4:10 PM
Apr 2015
-LeveQ- said:
Touhou arranges are a gift to this world.

This, so much this.

Also, I can't say for other people, but I listen to so many strange thing. I just like thing that have a good composition and isn't annoying wth vocals. I have like 14 different languages on my iPod (admittedly, 99.9% of it is 東方/Touhou, Japanese, composed by a Japanese or instrumental/Video Game <_< ). I have something called Djurdjevdjan that I don't even remotely know what language this is.

Anyway, on a website like MAL of course will tend to gravitate toward Japanese music/bands. Hopefuly they just don't listen to the one song from the band that they heard as an OP or ED. I actualy really ナイトメア/Nightmare, that I admittedly discovered with Death Note xD But IMO that's what OP and ED are partialy there for, promote band and such xD, along with the credits.

I say, just let people listen to what they want and leave them alone. I often get weird looks from what I listen to, but I don't care, I will listen to god damn Sound Holic (speaking of Touhou) if I want to.
Jun 9, 2015 7:46 PM
May 2014
I assume it's because people listen to music for different reasons. I have a friend that only listens to soundtrack music and only from material related to things he's watched/read/played/etc. I prefer soundtrack music myself too because it's easier to let it zone out into the background while working on things since there are no lyrics.
Jul 23, 2015 2:14 PM

Jun 2014
Ok, this is the REAL answer:
It's because.... Japanese music sounds completely different than English music,
and I don't mean just the language....

Comic_Sans said:
Because it turns them on

Duh, he's asking WHY it's like that...
Jul 26, 2015 2:45 AM
May 2015
No idea, there is very little Japanese music that I like and anime songs tend to be tripe. I guess they are rejecting anything other than Japanese stuff because they are obsessed with Japan.
Shameless plugging a review site I help out with: http://www.almostmainstream.net
Jul 26, 2015 2:47 AM

Mar 2014
Emdosis said:

Comic_Sans said:
Because it turns them on

Duh, he's asking WHY it's like that...

i think you missed the joke.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Jul 26, 2015 2:54 AM

Jun 2014
gizter13 said:

i think you missed the joke.

Maybe
Jul 26, 2015 11:25 AM
Jul 2018
Almost all of my music happens to be from Japan for a few reasons..

1) One of the few countries to still regularly sell physical albums
2) Extreme diversity in the doujin scene
3) The music I happen to like is from there
4) Easy access
Jul 26, 2015 5:37 PM

Nov 2014
I only listen to Japanese music because I'm trying to learn the language, and I translate songs as well.
Jul 27, 2015 6:08 AM

Mar 2014
RainHeaven said:
Almost all of my music happens to be from Japan for a few reasons..

1) One of the few countries to still regularly sell physical albums
2) Extreme diversity in the doujin scene
3) The music I happen to like is from there
4) Easy access

one of the few countries to still regulary sell physical albums??
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Jul 27, 2015 6:12 AM
Jul 30, 2015 7:28 PM

Jul 2015
Anime music comes in all sorts of flavors - after all, most of the songs are written for their anime, and there are a lot of different shows. So it's not like all anime songs are the same, and people who listen to them are being narrow.
Jul 30, 2015 7:35 PM

Mar 2015
Why do some people only listen to Jazz/Classic/Rap/Pop?

Because they like it, obviously.
Jul 30, 2015 11:11 PM

May 2015
I think the percent of people who listen to strictly one category of music is probably rather low (but not non-existent). And I don't know what spurred the thought but consider the following.

I use to post on some music forums between 08'-13' before traditional forums "died". There were plenty of users that would join the community, discover, post, converse for a couple of years and then disappear. Keeping track of them through last.fm in some cases, I could see that they acquired a new taste in music and are going through a new "phase". I've personally experienced a phase of listening to anime music the past couple months seeking out good OSTs and such to listen to since I got back into watching anime.

A similar situation someone might be in is that they are chasing a certain sound/feeling. When I found Katatonia I listened to all their albums. I even listened to Last Fair Deal Gone Down about 15 times a week for a few months. After several months, I started to want more of that melancholic sound that I heard from Katatonia, so I looked up, requested, and listened to many similar bands. It would have appeared at that time to an observer that I was only interested in "Alternative Metal", when in fact my entire collection of CDs and Cassettes are primarily death/black metal and classic rock (which I never stopped liking).

Also, consider where you're posting. I feel like community sites like myanimelist are more tailored for people who have a deeper interest in anime than other people who like anime. In essence I feel like this site is a "vocal minority". From personal experience, I've met a lot of people who share interests that I do, but they wouldn't ever join a music forum or anime site. Some of my friends who I've even taken to metal concerts with me are only interested in what I show them. They won't actively seek out newer and better music, or dig deep through the internet to find hidden gems. Being an anime website, you're more likely to run into those types of people on here than you are outside of here.
Jul 30, 2015 11:22 PM
Mar 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
I listen to music from all over the world and even as a person obsessed with Japan and Japanese culture I don't get the mentality of people who listen to Japanese music for the sake of listening to Japanese music or folks who just listen to anime music and don't care for anything non anime related. I just don't get it.

[color=gray]Because they like it. It's okay to like certain types of music and not like others.

Either that, or they're just prejudiced weeaboos.
[/color]
Nov 1, 2015 4:07 AM

Jan 2014
Because they are weebs.
Nov 1, 2015 6:53 AM
May 2015
Because they're weeb trash.
Nov 1, 2015 7:49 AM

May 2015
Because they think they're cool.
Nov 1, 2015 9:02 AM

Aug 2015
because weeb

☁ cyborg robot squirrels ☁
Nov 1, 2015 9:27 PM
Oct 2015
cuz they love japanese culture?
I like some J music (very very little) only because it's catchy on youtube only. then i stop after listening to it for a week and never listen to it again.
Nov 1, 2015 9:29 PM

May 2009
As a former musician and a guy who rarely posts, I find Japanese music to be exhilarating.

I hardly have any of my friends that listen to it and I find myself actually turning it down when they jump in my car due to my self consciousness.

I have been listening to it for over 20 years. It just gets me going when I know I have a crappy day ahead of me.

I don't know why.

Hell, I have been generating a playlist for almost the same amount of time...
To me, I just find it great because I get emotions of the anime I have seen especially considering I related to the anime I watched. I remember when I was stationed in Japan and I remember walking to one place and they were playing the Gundam Seed ED!

I was incredibly pumped because its a huge culture over there with best selling songs.

Its funny too because instead of bumping RAP and R&B, (I am African American) I find myself bumping Macross Frontier or the Code Geass soundtrack when I drive to work.

Everyone has their preferences and most people can be judgmental online...I usually say whatever. I find the style from Macross 7 to something the only dubstep I have on my Ipod (Muv-Luv Alternative) to give me a smile on my face.
Nov 1, 2015 9:29 PM
Dec 2011
Because they have a shit taste in music and aren't appreciative of real music that's written and performed by real musicians who actually have a background in it.

Apparently completely computer generated stuff is the way to go.
Nov 1, 2015 9:49 PM

May 2009
Here is the thing...computer generated...mmmk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=760E2F-O1WI
Nov 1, 2015 9:49 PM

Oct 2014
As a person who likes Rock music and anime, I find anime music to be more "intense" and I like their voice quality.
I also discovered bands such as SPYAIR, SID, BACK-ON, FLOW (Why are their official names in all-caps?), and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas thru anime and they're currently my favorites.

My preference to Japanese music is limited to anime songs and the bands stated above, though.
I don't listen to J-POP or Idols, they're for weebs.
"Having someone saying you're okay as you are and being needed by that person... It was nice to have someone like that..." — Taiga Aisaka
Nov 1, 2015 9:56 PM

May 2009
ermu said:
As a person who likes Rock music and anime, I find anime music to be more "intense" and I like their voice quality.
I also discovered bands such as SPYAIR, SID, BACK-ON, FLOW (Why are their official names in all-caps?), and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas thru anime and they're currently my favorites.

My preference to Japanese music is limited to anime songs and the bands stated above, though.
I don't listen to J-POP or Idols, they're for weebs.

I agree. I don't do J-POP...I find things that are from anime appealing. There is so much to find its crazy. I even found Legend of the Galatic Heroes ED to be appealing. I remember being a kid and my friend telling me (incorrectly) that most anime is done by women. Being a singer I was dismayed until I found this gem: https://youtu.be/QFUndm3rTco

I really want to sing this for karaoke.
Nov 2, 2015 12:58 PM

Sep 2015
1. They're super otakus or weeaboos.
2. It sounds good.
3. It helps them learn the language.
4. It's better than whatever songs are popular in their country.
5. They're Japanese and/or live in Japan.
6. Etc.
I turn myself invisible.
Nov 3, 2015 3:58 AM
Jun 2015
Moog said:
I know some people that mostly listen to video game soundtracks and music related to anime or other entertaiment media. I don't understand them, so I asked why. The most common response I get is that they are not very interested in music as a whole, and that the music they listen to is directly associated with something that they are interested in. So basically they listen to specific music that they can associate with something else that they like, because they can't seem to enjoy other music for some reason.

I listen to video game soundtracks, including ones for game I've never played, for precisely the opposite reason. Soundtrack music tends to align well with what I value in music: artistic craftsmanship, technical production skill, and use of the medium for emotional expression and meaningful storytelling. Video games, as a young, burgeoning artistic medium, provide talented artists a way to express themselves and make a living without having to worry about producing chart-toppers or selling out concert venues. That kind of environment attracts many of the most talented musicians in the world, and the diversity of game soundtracks makes it easy to experience a fantastically wide variety of styles and genres without getting too caught up in any one "scene." For someone who loves music as an art form but couldn't care less about the social aspects, there's nothing more ideal.
Nov 3, 2015 9:49 PM
Sep 2015
video game soundtracks and Japanese anime music seem to carry certain temperaments
sentiments and have certain thematic elements that are not found else where or are not expressed evenly or as in depth as in those cultural art mediums.

there is a certain nostalgia and art styles that the Japanese manage to articulate through their technical ability and inherited cultural background
Nicolas_CageNov 3, 2015 9:55 PM
Nov 4, 2015 2:53 PM
Jul 2015
My reason is that they have dances to them so I can dance and have a guide so that I don't look like a fish in a volcano.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Weirdest movie

spaceslut - Sep 18, 2022

45 by Otakupervert890 »»
2 hours ago

» Post an album that you discovered by accident, that you know, but everyone doesn't

djoveniscooked - May 18

4 by SnipeStrike »»
2 hours ago

» Post a song from your country you think is worth listening to ( 1 2 )

eldritch - Jan 29, 2018

78 by StrawberryBlxxd »»
2 hours ago

» What are your favorite ZARD songs?

GinIonSui - May 18

2 by GinIonSui »»
3 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7707 by zzz »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.