Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 26, 2015 12:09 PM
Jul 2018
I have a hard time liking Caska as a character. I empathized with her past and I could understand why she was an emotional wreck at times. However I still think she was cruel and unfair towards Guts before she became traumatized. The man was minding his own business when he was attacked by the hawks one day. It's not like he planned on joining them or coming between Caska and Griffith. Still that didn't stop Caska from slapping, punching, stabbing and constantly berating Guts at every turn. Even after he proved himself as a loyal soldier and saved her life she continued acting like a selfish brat whenever she became emotional. Nearly everyone in this manga have their own crosses to bear. But it's like Caska could only empathize with herself and Griffith most of the time. Anyone else was fair game for her to lash out at and bully until she finished venting.

I think a huge part of why I could stomach Caska before the incident with Griffith was that she made Guts happy. Nobody deserves to go through what they have so hopefully once Caska is better she will be a lot nicer and more appreciative of Guts for however long they can be together. I actually hope she can empower herself and somehow be the one to kill Griffith. You know? The guy who actually deserves her wrath lol.

What are your thoughts on Caska? Do you like or dislike her? You don't have to go on a rant like I did.

Apr 26, 2015 12:09 PM

Jan 2013
Slutty lil bitch
Apr 26, 2015 12:17 PM

Jun 2014
Guts should have left her behind with Rickert.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Apr 26, 2015 12:21 PM

May 2014
Lol I don't mind her being jealous.
Apr 26, 2015 12:23 PM

May 2014
FireEmblemIke24 said:

But then Rickert would have been attacked by the demons though, Guts feels like its his responsibility so hes carrying the weight.
I've been here way too long...
Apr 26, 2015 1:00 PM

Dec 2014
TheConquerer said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:

But then Rickert would have been attacked by the demons though, Guts feels like its his responsibility so hes carrying the weight.

That's not true. Casca herself actually stayed for more than 2 years at the cave. It actually was a safe place due to dwarves having lived back there. What guts felt was something different. Just like in the golden age he again had left someone dear to him, but this time the most important person he ever had in his life. He felt guilty for going after apostles and leaving casca behind so he went back to actually take her with him and to bring her to a place in which she would be completely safe. Which ultimately became Elfhelm.

About the post though. At first Casca and Guts were like Cat and Dog, both simply could not understand each other and there was jealousy behind Casca's thoughts on Guts. But what happened after the 100 men fight ? She developed. Casca's whole life was about fulfilling Griffith's dream. She loved him deeply yet was not in love with him. Guts was the first person to make her think that there is life outside following Griffith. She was able to see herself falling in love with someone, someone in her life other than Griffith. That's what she meant when she said she's changing. Just look at how Judeau reacts to her when Guts fights Griffith to leave the band of the hawk. Her development throughout the golden age arc is great and i really like her character. She is a strong female warrior with many complex issues revolving around her and the role she played i Guts life made also his character way greater especially during the last few arcs. Of course after getting raped she got traumatized just like Guts, but both are dealing with it in a different way (Guts and the Beast of Darkness). So ultimately i can't wait until she gets cured, because if she does there will be some great development revolving around her and Guts.
Apr 29, 2015 2:37 PM

Nov 2014
Used To like her before the Eclipse, Now I dont care about her. I dislike that she drags the story down Though.
Apr 29, 2015 2:45 PM

Jan 2012
Klad said:
Slutty lil bitch

Blame Griffith

Apr 29, 2015 2:52 PM

Oct 2013
She was pretty cool before she turned into an idiot, not much she can do about it though. I'm really interested in seeing how she will act when she turns back to normal.

May 1, 2015 1:44 PM

Jun 2012
iAmZiro said:
She was pretty cool before she turned into an idiot, not much she can do about it though. I'm really interested in seeing how she will act when she turns back to normal.

That's implying she isn't going to be brutally murdered before that happens, come along now.
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
May 8, 2015 1:24 AM
Dec 2013
'Gasp and shock' wow was i living in fantasy world im surprised so many ppl dislike her seriously she's one of my favorite female characters perhaps that's because i can grasp her character or at least how it see it.

okay so heres my take n casca yes shes bit over emotional at times but this is anime and in nearly all anime their women either physically weak /emotionally or both .If you compile a list of the vast women that make up anime then compare them to one another as far as stereotypes emotional and weak trust me casca is far far from the worst of it.

I really respect her in a lot of way actually i believe the reason she treated guts the way she did was because she had feeling for him and couldn't admit it to herself or did not realize it till later as she says " the one i couldn't stop looking at was you " i think this line though not word for word tells you why she acted the way she did struggling with her emotion for griffin him and her position.

I think its amazing that she was both a leader and one of the best fighters in the band o hawk its interesting with all the good parts of her character ppl pick at the one flaw i feel she was somewhat entitled to a little bit given her situation and time period why cant she be frustrated and vent .

If casca does not return t normal i don't think i could finish berserk the way she is now is infuriating , i agree it would be awesome if she killed griffith but i don't find that likely .(rant concluded for now 0-0)
May 10, 2015 9:20 AM

Oct 2014
I really like Berserk and I don´t want to be "that guy",but for some reason I´m not really buying that she would get traumatized to that extent from what happened at the eclipse.Don´t get me wrong, what happened to the Hawks was absolutely brutal and horrifying,but it´s not like Casca haven´t seen any blood in her life before. People don´t die peacefully in Berserk,she saw all kinds of rape,gory murder etc. so she´s pretty tough. For that reason her falling back into this baby like behavior is a bit too much for me,but I´m no psychologist.But I´m very interested how she´s going to develop,just finished the Conviction Arc so I still got some chapters to go.
May 10, 2015 9:29 AM
Jul 2018
RufusLatro said:
I really like Berserk and I don´t want to be "that guy",but for some reason I´m not really buying that she would get traumatized to that extent from what happened at the eclipse.Don´t get me wrong, what happened to the Hawks was absolutely brutal and horrifying,but it´s not like Casca haven´t seen any blood in her life before. People don´t die peacefully in Berserk,she saw all kinds of rape,gory murder etc. so she´s pretty tough. For that reason her falling back into this baby like behavior is a bit too much for me,but I´m no psychologist.But I´m very interested how she´s going to develop,just finished the Conviction Arc so I still got some chapters to go.

I'm pretty sure a huge part of her trauma came from the fact that it was Griffith who raped her. Even though she developed feelings for Guts she still cared for Griffith tremendously. If it was just some random demon/soldier she'd probably still be traumatized but at least functional.
May 17, 2015 11:24 PM

Aug 2014
I don't like vegetables
Jun 20, 2015 10:08 AM

Sep 2014
She really needs to be puted out of her misery already..
Jun 20, 2015 11:30 AM

Oct 2014
The_Deceiver said:
I wouldn´t say she´s suffering at all though,I mean she doesn´t even realize what the hell is going on.I can´t remember who said it,but someone said to Guts once (I think it was Skullknight) that maybe she doesn´t even want to regain her memories and he had a point with that.
Jun 21, 2015 4:26 AM

Mar 2014
RufusLatro said:
The_Deceiver said:
I wouldn´t say she´s suffering at all though,I mean she doesn´t even realize what the hell is going on.I can´t remember who said it,but someone said to Guts once (I think it was Skullknight) that maybe she doesn´t even want to regain her memories and he had a point with that.

Yeah, SK told him that.
Jun 21, 2015 5:00 AM
Jun 2015
Loved her during the GA arc (one of the best anime female characters) but Miura dragged her story (going to Elfheim and healing her) out way too long

At this point I don't care anymore about her
Jun 21, 2015 5:55 AM

Oct 2014
^ Oh,I would like to see Caska kicking ass again.
Jun 28, 2015 8:16 AM
Jun 2015
RufusLatro said:
^ Oh,I would like to see Caska kicking ass again.

Me too but I doubt we will ever see GA Casca again, even if she remembers she will probably go into depression (after the shit that went down during the eclipse)

Anyway I doubt we will get off the boat for the next few years so..
Jun 30, 2015 4:39 AM
May 2015
8animet said:
Loved her during the GA arc (one of the best anime female characters) but Miura dragged her story (going to Elfheim and healing her) out way too long

I kind of feel like Miura was having a bit of writer's block at this point. The pace was just so different.
Jun 30, 2015 10:23 AM

Aug 2013
I liked her in the golden age arc l dislike her a lot now though
huh
Jun 30, 2015 10:33 AM

Apr 2011
it's been like what, 10 years since she was relevant ? lol
Jul 1, 2015 11:42 PM
Dec 2013
As i understood it berserk wasn't going to be finished in the manga but the possibility existed that it would be finished in the movies i think this is just rumors with no real truth to them .

I was pretty ticked when she became annoying and useless too but I'm sure that's how she'll be left which is truly disappointing.At the same time i cant see how she can contribute to the story anymore or how she would behave after regaining her memories

One would like to believe she would help bring down Griffith but i don't see that happening realistically .
Jul 2, 2015 1:26 AM
Jun 2015
Animecrazed89 said:
As i understood it berserk wasn't going to be finished in the manga but the possibility existed that it would be finished in the movies i think this is just rumors with no real truth to them .

I was pretty ticked when she became annoying and useless too but I'm sure that's how she'll be left which is truly disappointing.At the same time i cant see how she can contribute to the story anymore or how she would behave after regaining her memories

One would like to believe she would help bring down Griffith but i don't see that happening realistically .

Muira ruint her character a long time ago. He hates his story so much at this point he doesn't even want to finish it, much like many of me.
Jul 3, 2015 9:54 AM
Jun 2015
Animecrazed89 said:

He should have just killed her off during the Eclipse
At this point her old self returning would be strange
Jul 3, 2015 9:55 AM
Jun 2015
fyfemm said:
8animet said:

I kind of feel like Miura was having a bit of writer's block at this point. The pace was just so different.

He is still having a writer's block, the whole sea god arc was just stalling
Dude has no idea on how to finish his story anymore that much is very clear
Aug 29, 2015 8:30 PM
Aug 2015
Honestly Caska, hmm, her character is exactly how the author wants her to be. I honestly more interested in Guts moving on from her to Farnese, or seeing how the relationship between him and Schierke plays out. Too many people forget that age difference was not a factor until recent past 2 centuries. Or even less. Also forget that the journey is probably over a long time period, and she might be older than most people think. Either way I think Caska is central to the plot. Especially the interesting relationship with Griffith, because if any of you guys remember, how she met him was him saving her from being raped, and as we all know, during the Golden Age Arc he raped her. I still think she is pertinent to the plot. Hahaha, what would be interesting is if she is the one who ends up killing Griffith, along with being killed in the process. What is tough is that there is too much backstory that is not covered, like Skullknight's connection to Void, the Idea of Evil, caska and guts child appearing, why did griffith kill flora?, what if griffiths weakness that flora was necessary to kill. Honestly the biggest things are the backstory of Skullknight and the God Hand. And also what is confusing is if there is a God Hand, which are essentially like beings that embody some kind of evil that has power of elements of time and space, then what is the opposing force to these evil beings? Are there angels? Its as if he is saying that there is only a god of Evil but none to oppose it except for witches and humans with super human strength. But then again, I like the reference to the Church, the way he used that, was amazing. The role the Church played in Europe was exactly the same, and the way people respected the land spirits is exactly what people used to do in ancient Europe. The Church ended up killing more than saving anything. But the fact that the Church had Apostles, which followed God Hand, and that the witches and spirits are feared by Griffith and God Hand, beautiful. Sorry for the long post, was just posting my thoughts.
May 7, 2017 2:42 PM

Apr 2017
zhrtjyhztnjgfhb said:
I have a hard time liking Caska as a character. I empathized with her past and I could understand why she was an emotional wreck at times. However I still think she was cruel and unfair towards Guts before she became traumatized. The man was minding his own business when he was attacked by the hawks one day. It's not like he planned on joining them or coming between Caska and Griffith. Still that didn't stop Caska from slapping, punching, stabbing and constantly berating Guts at every turn.

Hope you don't mind me bumping this old thread but I'm so bored right now and wanna share some of my thoughts.

Casca was mad with jealousy towards the relationship between Guts and Griffith. She would however never have been quite that hostile towards Guts if Griffith had not said "I want you" to him like that. He had not said anything like that to anyone before, as she pointed out. Griffith kept risking his life for Guts constantly, in ways he did not risk his life for anyone else.

Casca felt like Guts was a threat to her entire world, and her world was Griffith and her relationship with him. But eventually her feelings changed, very slowly but surely. I personally like the fact that Casca has gone from a person who always needed a beacon in Griffith, to someone that is a beacon for someone else, even if that beacon is currently in a broken state of mind. Guts loves her more than anything and he has realized that being with Casca is more important than taking revenge on Griffith.

I love Casca as a character, even if she is very troublesome, that is how she is supposed to be right now. I'm eagerly waiting for her mental return and reunion with Guts however.
Jan 7, 2018 10:21 PM

Feb 2015
what i'm confused over is did caska love griffith or not. i thought she was just jealous over the closeness griffith and guts had as friends but in the 3rd movie she says "I could never be his comrade or woman." so that makes me think that i'm either reading too much into it or is it a mistranslation? so did she want griffith's romantic love or friendship love?
Jan 7, 2018 11:24 PM

Jul 2013
TomDay said:
what i'm confused over is did caska love griffith or not. i thought she was just jealous over the closeness griffith and guts had as friends but in the 3rd movie she says "I could never be his comrade or woman." so that makes me think that i'm either reading too much into it or is it a mistranslation? so did she want griffith's romantic love or friendship love?

Yes, she wanted to be more than a friend to Griffith, she loved him, Griffith smart as he is realized that and would never let her had at least one night with him since this way she would still following in the hope that one day he would correspond to her feelings. One thing to notice is that after his rescue he tries to have sex with Casca, but he is weak and not even a shadow of the man he once was, idk if Casca did notice his intentions but she only hugged him.
I . A M . D E A D !  C O N T I N U E ?

INSERT COIN

Jan 7, 2018 11:57 PM

Apr 2017
RealY2J said:
One thing to notice is that after his rescue he tries to have sex with Casca, but he is weak and not even a shadow of the man he once was, idk if Casca did notice his intentions but she only hugged him.

I always interpreted it as him trying to only hug her, or rather gain more of her empathy by showing how weak he was so that she would stay with him.
Jan 8, 2018 12:57 AM

Jul 2013
zodd0 said:

I always interpreted it as him trying to only hug her, or rather gain more of her empathy by showing how weak he was so that she would stay with him.

That's one of the reasons why I love berserk, the answers are not in your face and it depends on the interpetation of the viewer and they are not always the same, so here is mine.
Griffith tried to have sex with her, maybe because he wanted to prove that after all he still a man or something like that, maybe to get more her affection, but she just hugs him, after this Casca go talk with Guts, Griffith listen to their conversation and feel betrayed by them, Griffith then is capable of run away and the eclipse happens, maybe this was one of the reasons why he raped Casca.

INSERT COIN

Jan 8, 2018 2:59 AM

Jun 2015
zodd0 said:
RealY2J said:
One thing to notice is that after his rescue he tries to have sex with Casca, but he is weak and not even a shadow of the man he once was, idk if Casca did notice his intentions but she only hugged him.

I really don't think the empathy idea fits with his character.

Jan 8, 2018 4:19 AM

Apr 2017
code said:

Why not? He's kind of known for manipulating others and taking advantage of their emotions, which is what he did there the way I see it.

But you think he'd be naive enough to think he could have sex with Casca in that state?
Jan 8, 2018 8:13 AM

Jun 2015
zodd0 said:
code said:

Why not? He's kind of known for manipulating others and taking advantage of their emotions, which is what he did there the way I see it.

But you think he'd be naive enough to think he could have sex with Casca in that state?
But why did he manipulate?
What was his defining ideology?

Jan 8, 2018 8:54 AM

Apr 2017
code said:

To keep his 'dream' alive? What do you mean?
Jan 8, 2018 10:32 AM

Jun 2015
zodd0 said:
code said:

To keep his 'dream' alive? What do you mean?
I was referring to what he constantly told Guts.

Jan 8, 2018 10:35 AM

Jun 2017
RealY2J said:

Griffith tried to have sex with her, maybe because he wanted to prove that after all he still a man or something like that, maybe to get more her affection, but she just hugs him, after this Casca go talk with Guts, Griffith listen to their conversation and feel betrayed by them, Griffith then is capable of run away and the eclipse happens, maybe this was one of the reasons why he raped Casca.

I personally think he jumped on her to prove to himself that he was still the number one man in her life. I don't think he ever really loved her or seriously considered her a love interest, even though he did realize that he could have been normal and happy with her (he had a dream at one point that they were married and Guts was their son). But he did enjoy basking in her adoration, and after a while he took it for granted that he was the Saviour in her eyes. Griffith was at his lowest point when he forced himself on her, and needed the ego-boost that her adoration would provide. Realizing that she had fallen in love with Guts instead and he had lost even that emotional safety net was, I think, one of the reasons he tried to run away, and yet another grudge against Guts that pushed him to bring about the Eclipse.

As for Casca herself, I'm not sure that she ever really loved him the way she loved Guts. Griffith was her crush throughout her formative years, and he was certainly important to her, but I personally think it was more of a combination of infatuation, hero/idol worship, and gratitude for empowering her and giving her a chance to prove herself. She worried about him and cared about him and took those emotions to be love, but she never really knew him well enough to truly love him. For me, the proof that her feelings for him didn't run that deep was when he became more of a politician and no longer hung out around the campfire with the Hawks. Casca's reaction was to accept it as the way things were, and was able to let go of him easily. In contrast, when Guts left the Hawks, she missed him and kept his broken sword as a memento.

Griffith's rape of Casca was about control, pure and simple. It's the same reason he raped Charlotte right after Guts beat him - going to a princess who was infatuated with him and taking her virginity was his way of proving to himself that he was still powerful and in control. In Casca's case, he was showing both of her and Guts that he was more powerful than either of them and they could do nothing to stop him. It was also more of a message for Guts than Casca - kind of a "you took everything away from me, now I'm going to destroy the one thing that you care about" eff you.
Jan 10, 2018 7:00 PM

Feb 2015
RealY2J said:
TomDay said:

Yes, she wanted to be more than a friend to Griffith, she loved him, Griffith smart as he is realized that and would never let her had at least one night with him since this way she would still following in the hope that one day he would correspond to her feelings. One thing to notice is that after his rescue he tries to have sex with Casca, but he is weak and not even a shadow of the man he once was, idk if Casca did notice his intentions but she only hugged him.

ah okay, this is me coming directly off of looking at the third movie and i was severely confused why he jumped on her. to me, i don't think he tried to have sex with her. at least not completely. i think it was just out of desperation of whatever feelings he was having in that moment. by his rasp gasping he was trying to tell her something, something urgent, but we'll never know. the saddest part of that moment to me is when caska barely struggles against him and pushes him, but instead lifts him up entirely. she realised how easy it was to even push the man and that's probably why she immediately put her hands down and embraced him. still though, i find that scene rather vauge.

after the last movie i still have questions and i'm wondering if i can ask them here? would that be alright?
Jan 10, 2018 7:10 PM

Jul 2013
I guess is alright

INSERT COIN

Jan 10, 2018 9:14 PM

Oct 2017
Could be bitchy at times but she felt human and flawed. Far better than boring cliche Schierke (who is nice and "cute"..thats it. Belongs in some magical girl adventure than Berserk) and Farnese (great in Conviction, then transforms into a boring nice babysitter in a few chapters).

Jan 11, 2018 3:28 AM

Apr 2017
TomDay said:
after the last movie i still have questions and i'm wondering if i can ask them here? would that be alright?

Why not read the manga or at least watch the anime series?
Jan 11, 2018 7:38 PM

Feb 2015
zodd0 said:
TomDay said:

Why not read the manga or at least watch the anime series?

i'm on a depression from manga because i've read far too many bad ones and i'm not a fan of 90's anime.
Jan 18, 2020 11:25 PM
Jul 2018
I didn't like her initially because she was rude, unfair and immature.. but slowly developed a liking for her when she tells about her past to Guts in the cave.. and more so when she opens her heart to Guts and they make love :D

And I liked her sense of responsibility for her soldiers during Eclipse.. while on one hand she was is utter disbelief of reality around them and shit-scared but she still tried her best to remain calm for her comrades.. she's good at heart.

..and I loved her throughout after the Eclipse.. she's so innocent and like a baby.. you feel bad that a Casca that was so fearless became this way.. it's sad.
Jan 19, 2020 10:38 AM
Nov 2018
_oak said:
I didn't like her initially because she was rude, unfair and immature.. but slowly developed a liking for her when she tells about her past to Guts in the cave.. and more so when she opens her heart to Guts and they make love :D

And I liked her sense of responsibility for her soldiers during Eclipse.. while on one hand she was is utter disbelief of reality around them and shit-scared but she still tried her best to remain calm for her comrades.. she's good at heart.

..and I loved her throughout after the Eclipse.. she's so innocent and like a baby.. you feel bad that a Casca that was so fearless became this way.. it's sad.
i don’t feel bad for her at all. While Griffith was locked up in jail after sleeping with the princess, he straight up says people fall into two categories with him: blind adoration or hatred/jealousy. Either way he knows he has their hearts like sheep following Sheppard. Band of the Hawk made up a majority of the “Griffith is like a God” flock, and there were three stark personalities there in my opinion: Corkus who represents the kind of person who is too weak to chase after his own dreams and accepts there are just “better men” to do that job of dream chasing. Judeau who was aware of himself at all times. He accepted the role he was playing for Griffith and never made excuses about It like everyone else calling him a God or claiming he was just above them all. Caska was like the mix of the latter two. Understanding that Griffith is just a man but also conveniently believing that he’s “above her” and “in a different league”. Guts however was like that blinding light that made everyone really understand how sheepish they were. So caska KNEW she was a sheep but kept making convenient excuses for staying that way (well I can’t be his woman, but I can be his sword. Well I can’t really be that because Guts is a true sword. But I can’t leave Griffith now because he’s weak and needs me). Sis could never truly commit to one side or another and that wishy-washy attitude blew me. If you’re going to stay with Griffith, accept what you really are like Judeau or be blissfully ignorant and rejecting like Corkus. But don’t be a sheep longing to go be like a wolf when that was offered to you several times (When Griffith first saved her and after Guts fell for her).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 376 Discussion

MegamiRem - Yesterday

33 by KoniginElle »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 22 Discussion

Rasco - Dec 3, 2010

30 by MrGutz »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 118 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Nov 6, 2011

20 by wxykz »»
6 hours ago

» Chapter 376 - The End is Near

luckysjjsjsjs - Yesterday

18 by WalterBlack59 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 8 Discussion

KitaTsuki - Mar 5, 2011

45 by Thegyew »»
Yesterday, 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.