New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (28) « First ... « 20 21 [22] 23 24 » ... Last »
Jan 16, 2017 12:59 PM

Feb 2010
@Half_Bl00d that's sad, but at least I know state of the malgraph. Thanks
Jan 18, 2017 1:56 AM
Jan 2017
Hey guys! Thank you for this great site. I love it!

I still have a small complaint.

@ Ratings --> Ratings vs. time spent
The average time takes into account shows you marked with unknown start/end dates. I would like to see them excluded as it messes up my average time to 653.72 min/day, which is hilarious :D

In my special case I marked the shows with unknown date, which I watched before joining MAL. But the calculation uses you're MAL registration date.

tl;dr:
Please exclude all shows with unknown start/end dates from average time spent in animes.

Thanks in advance :)
Jan 18, 2017 3:44 AM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
@vikingr: As you said yourself, the calculation uses your registration date, or the earliest start/end date recorded. Most of the people never fill in start/end dates, so excluding such entries would generally mean no data for most users, thus doing that is unproductive. You just registered late.
Jan 18, 2017 4:16 AM
Jan 2017
I see. I now just set a rough date when I started my first anime. That should fix the issue for me. Thanks.
vikingrJan 18, 2017 6:33 AM
Feb 5, 2017 11:09 AM
Oct 2009
Okay guys, I’m compiling that promised GAR manga list (I will try to post it here in the first half of this month, but no promises) and here’s the question – should I include ongoing titles as well? Barely focused on them because a title does not count towards an achievement until it finishes serialization anyway.

Also – should I post my list in support instead of suggestions?
Feb 5, 2017 11:41 AM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
@Mithogawa: Do include the ongoing ones as well, as a separate list if possible. I'll keep it and add them to the main list as they finish. Post the lists here in suggestions.
Feb 5, 2017 2:21 PM
Feb 2017
Any plans for a manga mecha achievement or for a one-shot achievement?
Feb 5, 2017 2:37 PM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
Feb 5, 2017 4:28 PM
Feb 2014
If we can still suggest titles to be added to Mahou Shoujo, how about Shuumatsu no Izetta and Flying Witch (with or without its specials)?
KrugoFeb 5, 2017 4:50 PM
Feb 5, 2017 4:57 PM

Mar 2015
Krugo said:
If we can still suggest titles to be added to Mahou Shoujo, how about Shuumatsu no Izetta and Flying Witch (with or without its specials)?

We have previously had a debate over Flying Witch and it does not meet our requirements for the genre.
The same thing goes for Shuumatsu no Izetta; girl + magic powers =/= mahou shoujo. We'd classify Flying Witch as simple slice-of-life with the added witch element, while Shuumatsu no Izetta...honestly I'm not sure. Perhaps Military. Magic, definitely, but not a mahou shoujo show.
Feb 5, 2017 5:38 PM
Feb 2014
EMPERATRIX said:
Krugo said:

We have previously had a debate over Flying Witch and it does not meet our requirements for the genre.
The same thing goes for Shuumatsu no Izetta; girl + magic powers =/= mahou shoujo. We'd classify Flying Witch as simple slice-of-life with the added witch element, while Shuumatsu no Izetta...honestly I'm not sure. Perhaps Military. Magic, definitely, but not a mahou shoujo show.

Alrighty, I figured as much. Thanks for the quick reply in any case!
Feb 5, 2017 5:56 PM

Feb 2010
EMPERATRIX said:
Krugo said:

I get the feelings that Izetta wasn't mahou shoujo... but I'm not sure why. Is it because in mahou shoujo powers are given (e.g. aliens give girl a power)? In case of shows like Izetta, Junketsu no Maria or Flying witch they are females that are born with magic.
Feb 6, 2017 11:05 AM

Feb 2015
The images for Interstellar Traveler and Emperor of the Universe need to be reversed.

Feb 6, 2017 11:27 AM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
Reinhard said:
The images for Interstellar Traveler and Emperor of the Universe need to be reversed.

Yeah, no.
Feb 6, 2017 1:32 PM

Oct 2008
Any plans on changing the description for lv 2 & 3 mecha achievement?
Feb 6, 2017 1:34 PM
Feb 6, 2017 1:49 PM

Oct 2008
Half_Bl00d said:
@Bunnie: why would we do that?
Just curious since the achievements were updated but the description mentions the old threshold of "40" and "60" for lv 2 & 3 respectively.
Feb 6, 2017 2:08 PM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
@Bunnie: aha, I overlooked that, thank you for pointing it out. We'll have that changed.
Feb 6, 2017 2:16 PM

Feb 2015
Half_Bl00d said:
Reinhard said:

Yeah, no.

The List of Achievements page currently shows an image of Reinhard, the ruler of the Galactic Empire in Legend of the Galactic Heroes, in the Interstellar Traveler's spot and an image of space ship in the Emperor of the Universe's spot. Those two images need to be reversed.
ReinhardFeb 6, 2017 2:34 PM
Feb 6, 2017 2:40 PM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
@Reinhard: I am perfectly aware who and what is depicted on the badges, as well as that the badges follow a pattern with which the final (4th) level is a monochromatic symbol on black background, which currently is the badge for level 4 of the Space achievement, thus the images will not be changed. Following rules and patterns is very important.
Feb 6, 2017 2:53 PM

Feb 2015
@Half_Bl00d: I see now. It looked like a simple mistake when I first noticed those two images.
Feb 6, 2017 5:25 PM

Oct 2014
I think there should an achievement along the lines of "Why do you even bother? - Gives up easily" for dropping (or putting on hold) more than 20% of the anime you start. I sort of forget if this was refuted for similar reasons to a reverse of the ecchi achievement, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea.
Feb 6, 2017 5:32 PM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
@zombie_pegasus: @tsog: that was suggested and denied a lot of times, but I will say it again. No, there will not be an achievement for dropping stuff because you have not achieved anything by not watching/reading stuff. Some kind of statistic maybe, we'll discuss it, but an achievement, absolutely not.
Feb 6, 2017 5:34 PM

Oct 2014
Since you take start dates into account could there be an achievement for watching at least a certain number of anime while they were still airing?
Feb 6, 2017 6:14 PM

Mar 2012
@Half_Bl00d
I have no qualms about not having an achievement, but in the same vein, why is mean score an achievement? You have not achieved anything by merely rating stuff high or low either, just as you have not achieved anything by not watching/reading stuff.

Also, a (different? altered?) set of achievements by time spent instead of count would also mean more to me as it's quite easy to pump up count via short videos/ads/PVs.

In the end though, the most value I find in MALgraph is the statistics, not the achievements. More graphs, more tables, MOAR NUMBERS
Feb 6, 2017 6:47 PM
Feb 2017
tsog said:
@Half_Bl00d
I have no qualms about not having an achievement, but in the same vein, why is mean score an achievement? You have not achieved anything by merely rating stuff high or low either, just as you have not achieved anything by not watching/reading stuff.

I think that the mean score was already a part of the original malgraph. There's no need to remove it. Adding achievements is different than removing them. Not only does it cost time, there's also not really a point in adding an achievement like that.
Feb 6, 2017 7:03 PM

Mar 2012
NeedSomeLogic said:

I think that the mean score was already a part of the original malgraph. There's no need to remove it. Adding achievements is different than removing them. Not only does it cost time, there's also not really a point in adding an achievement like that.

Yeah I need some logic here....

I don't think it'd take that much time to remove it and actually make achievements consistent with their purpose? Just because it was carried over from the old site doesn't justify that there's no need to remove it. They did just change all the thresholds and added new categories, after all. I rather see a consistent design over one that is of minimal effort, if that's what you are implying.
Feb 6, 2017 8:19 PM

Mar 2015
tsog said:
I don't think it'd take that much time to remove it and actually make achievements consistent with their purpose? Just because it was carried over from the old site doesn't justify that there's no need to remove it. They did just change all the thresholds and added new categories, after all. I rather see a consistent design over one that is of minimal effort, if that's what you are implying.

To be honest, I'd vote for keeping the mean score achievements just so I know who to stay away from. It's not really a secret people who have achievements for very low mean scores are eltists (and more often than not you'll notice they also have the pervert achievement, which always makes me lol).

Hm. Come think, the flame we'd get for removing it would be amazing...
Feb 6, 2017 8:39 PM

Mar 2012
EMPERATRIX said:

To be honest, I'd vote for keeping the mean score achievements just so I know who to stay away from. It's not really a secret people who have achievements for very low mean scores are eltists (and more often than not you'll notice they also have the pervert achievement, which always makes me lol).

I like to believe that I'm a different kind of elitist ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Again though, as long as the mean average achievement remains, it's hypocritical to deny an achievement based on drops because of the it's not achieving something reason.

Besides, if you want to know who to stay away from, the first thing you'd look for on someone's profile would be their MAL average, whether or not they have MALgraph embedded. (I know I look out for low-ish averages as a sign of competence, lol)
Feb 6, 2017 10:06 PM

Oct 2014
EMPERATRIX said:
tsog said:

Hm. Come think, the flame we'd get for removing it would be amazing...
I wouldn't really call myself an elitist but I do have quite a low mean score. Some people joked that I give anime a couple extra points for being moe since despite my 4.6 mean score I've given anime 7s just for being really cute. I don't try to push these opinions onto other people, I just rate lower than most people. I also have seen a lot of shorts that I generally rate lower than other anime.
Feb 7, 2017 9:08 AM

Mar 2015
*shrug* Implying I have the patience to scroll that deep down y'all's profiles...

I don't know how to respond to this without potentially insulting you and as such I apologize in advance.

@tsog @zombie_pegasus to be perfectly frank I personally don't give a fuck either way. Half's got his own thoughts on the matter, and I've got mine. Neither of us would be personally affected. There are however people who take pride in it, and tbf I personally see it as an achievement; "congratulations --- you're a monument of stupidity". It's a satirical thing on the part of the old devs.

You could argue it'd be a good thing; maybe it would discourage some people from having ~unique~ rating systems. I don't know.

The idea will be considered and we'll see. Don't expect much, though, and even if we reach a positive consensus on removing it, don't expect the change to be implemented swiftly.
Feb 7, 2017 9:24 AM

Jan 2014
Half_Bl00d said:
@Bunnie: aha, I overlooked that, thank you for pointing it out. We'll have that changed.

The same thing occur in manga mahou shoujo.
Feb 7, 2017 10:06 AM

Oct 2014
@EMPERATRIX

I would honestly prefer it to be changed to something like "Harsh critic - Even pays attention to the flaws in the anime they love" rather than removing the achievement entirely. A lot of people don't see their own mean score as a reflection of how much they enjoy anime but rather just as a way of showing how they rate anime. You could even have the achievement read "You realize that the scale goes below 6" since it is seen as a good thing by so many people.

I think having a low score is deserving of an achievement, but I don't think it needs to be about suffering.
Feb 7, 2017 10:20 AM

Mar 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
@EMPERATRIX

I would honestly prefer it to be changed to something like "Harsh critic - Even pays attention to the flaws in the anime they love" rather than removing the achievement entirely. A lot of people don't see their own mean score as a reflection of how much they enjoy anime but rather just as a way of showing how they rate anime. You could even have the achievement read "You realize that the scale goes below 6" since it is seen as a good thing by so many people.

I think having a low score is deserving of an achievement, but I don't think it needs to be about suffering.

You do have a point there. We'll also be taking this into consideration when we discuss it.
Feb 7, 2017 4:12 PM

Oct 2013
Hi, I would like to explain how change into percentage based ratio achievements made the manga one's nearly impossible to do.

First of all just the given number of database: Anime entries:12479
Manga entries:41867 can shown how huge is difference between those two.
Someone could say "So there is more to pick from", Yes and No.
Over half of them isn't even available outside of Japan, and I'm not talking about translation problems or something like that, I'm talking about distribution. There is a huge amount of manga that they are sold only at the given time during some events in small amount of copies and there are in database. That's the first issue.

Percentage based ratio also missed an idea of "easy first step", before it was 15 manga titles. Now it's mostly 50, like nice 50 manga let's say average for these would be 3 volumes per each title, 1 volume equals 1 hour of reading and my average time spent on manga is somehow 90 minutes per day.
50*3*60/90=100 Wow, an astonishing 100 days just to get first step of an achievement, wasn't first step supposed to be like easy and "fun" to get? Make it now 400 titles for master level and we got marvelous 800 days of reading. Over 2 years just to excel in just a simple category without any brakes, only reading titles with needed tag to get your precious achievement. That is just incredible how someone would thought, yeah it's a great idea people will love it. :) Even with max cap around 300 titles it's around 2 years, of course if you read only the short
ones.

The percentage change have forgotten that manga isn't an anime and amount of time needed to complete the single title with an average number of 4 volumes equals 1 cour of an anime. Not to mention that you can watch anime mindlessly without giving it 100% of your attention and still complete it, while you can't do that reading manga.

I understand that whole anime+graph it's just an add-on to mal, but I really like this feature, it made me read over 80 manga that I probably would've never touched. The percentage based ratio works fine with anime, absolutely no issue there, but with manga in current state is just laughable.

My suggestions how to fix it are:
Change the manga achievements into 20/50/75/120(100) ratio with exception of romance/yaoi genre for those master level should have been 200. The only one that works fine with percentage based ratio is Mahou shoujo genre and that should stay at current state.
Long runner achievement should have been 20+ volumes I can't understand what was the the reason behind this kind of change, maybe for somebody Steel Ball Run or 20th Century Boy's weren't long enough or something. Just bring back the old number of volumes, pretty please. The current needed amount of titles is fine.
Actually it's pretty funny while you increased number of volumes needed while you decreased number of episodes for long runner anime from 150+ to 100+.

I hope that mentioned changes will be taken into consideration. Like I said I like the changes in anime aspect, but manga can't be treated the same way as anime. That doesn't work that way. Manga is just much more time consuming than anime. Thank you for a little bit of attention, and given effort to complete reading it.
Feb 7, 2017 4:53 PM

Feb 2010

Yaoi achievements: 180 => 360 => 720
Yuri achievement: 30 => 60 => 120 => 260

They want some "big" achievements. ;)
Feb 7, 2017 5:53 PM

Mar 2012
Is there a page with a list of previously proposed/debated suggestions? Helps to see what's already been proposed to avoid repeating the same suggestions (and saves time by not having to read through all the pages of this thread).

If not, I suggest (pun intended) pushing some GitHub pages to track all the previous suggestions. Or make a locked sticky thread.
Feb 7, 2017 7:19 PM

Mar 2015
@tsog we're actually working on compiling one, but thanks for the thought. it should be up within the week.
Feb 9, 2017 10:22 AM

Aug 2015
Not sure if this has ever been requested/suggested, but how about a Loli achievement? If needed, I can create a poll to see if the club members would be interested in adding this.
Feb 9, 2017 11:56 AM

May 2016
Puchkov said:
Not sure if this has ever been requested/suggested, but how about a Loli achievement? If needed, I can create a poll to see if the club members would be interested in adding this.
I second this :3

Feb 9, 2017 1:00 PM
Mar 2014
There are so many genre based achievements, but there isn't a set for comedy. Shouldn't this be one since it is the focus point of a lot of shows?
Feb 9, 2017 2:08 PM

Feb 2010
@Puchkov
Puchkov said:

What do you mean by "loli".
Do you mean any show that has young girls? Lots show has kids.
Do you mean any show that contain "young girl has a problem" like Kodomo no jikan?
Or... what?
Feb 9, 2017 4:51 PM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
Puchkov said:

Um, no, such a thing was not suggested so far...
But no. First of all, that's not even a genre nor a theme, it's just... particular characters. You can't have something so vague as an achievement, and why would there even be an achievement for such a thing. Besides, most anime have lolis in them at some point, so that's not really an unique trait or something like that either. And why would you reward someone for being a lolicon anyway?
Feb 9, 2017 4:58 PM

Mar 2015
^ this. if we'd make a lolicon kind of achievement then we'd be pressured into making one for every character type fan...too much work and bit too pointless.
Feb 9, 2017 6:11 PM

Oct 2013
Thank you for changing difficulty of manga achievements into reasonable level to obtain them. I'm happy now, so a few other people. Thanks :)
Feb 9, 2017 8:11 PM

Jul 2016
I really apreciate the new stuff. Thanks that you added Dragon Ball Z to GAR anime!
Feb 10, 2017 6:13 AM

Feb 2013
Hey, realized the achievements got a revamp a few hours ago, read through the notes, etc. and I have a question.

Since the number of titles of each genre/achievement category will only be ever-increasing, just how often will the thresholds get updated?

Also, I think it is nice how you set the limit somewhere, since having to watch my achievement go back and forth between 2 levels consistently would get annoying. (even though that limit is still pretty damn high, considering even the romance genre still hasn't reached it yet)
Feb 10, 2017 6:22 AM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
@JPthugnificent: the frequency of the updates is entirely up to Deividas, so we cannot tell you anything concrete about that.
Feb 10, 2017 7:00 AM

Mar 2012
Oh, awesome, just noticed new achievements, like them! Especially like the Slayers badge on Classics one!

And since you're adding new achievements, how about an achievement for light novels? I have some badges, most I made when suggesting it before:

And I think around 20-25 titles for max level would be perfect, like for mahou sjoujo in manga!

Will start thinking up titles/descriptions for them now, any ideas on that appreciated!
Feb 10, 2017 7:27 AM

Jan 2014
Sorry if I'm being repetitive, but as I said in a post ago, the level 4 description of mahou shoujo manga achievement need to be corrected. Currently the description said "Read over 80 mahou shoujo manga. At this level magic circles form around you at will."
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (28) « First ... « 20 21 [22] 23 24 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Custom List Maintenance

Half_Bl00d - Feb 28, 2017

11 by TheM4ngaMan »»
Feb 3, 4:32 AM

Sticky: » Support ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Deividas - Apr 20, 2015

737 by GaOMn03 »»
Jan 27, 3:42 AM

» List of Series Used for the Achievement Badges

Half_Bl00d - May 13, 2020

0 by Half_Bl00d »»
May 13, 2020 6:37 AM

Sticky: » Custom Lists [READ BEFORE POSTING IN CUSTOM LIST MAINTENANCE THREAD]

Half_Bl00d - Mar 1, 2017

4 by Half_Bl00d »»
Mar 1, 2017 2:32 AM

Sticky: » ♦ LIST OF SUGGESTIONS [ READ BEFORE POSTING IN THE SUGGESTIONS THREAD ]

Half_Bl00d - Feb 22, 2017

2 by Half_Bl00d »»
Feb 22, 2017 4:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.