Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 »
Apr 28, 2015 2:46 PM

Dec 2014
Dug_Fin said:
Clefairiess said:
I don't quite get the ending, I forgot what is up with red pendant?

For the love of all that is holy, don't try to look it up online, its a huge spoiler, just keep watching the show and it will make sense.

Okay. thank you very much for not spoiling it for me!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 2015 2:54 PM

Jul 2013
CookingPriest said:
chaosflame5 said:
So you mean the deaths of those maids weren't as gory as in the VN? Or did I misread something here...?

We never see them in UBW in VN at all.

Maybe I misunderstand, are you saying that the maids aren't in UBW in VN at all?
Because they are

(even though theirs scenes are anime only.)
Apr 28, 2015 3:03 PM

Sep 2008
Guilek said:
CookingPriest said:

We never see them in UBW in VN at all.

Maybe I misunderstand, are you saying that the maids aren't in UBW in VN at all?
Because they are

(even though theirs scenes are anime only.)

Pretty sure they mean the death scenes themselves.
Apr 28, 2015 3:03 PM

Jul 2007
astroprogs said:
HungryPriest said:
He has been acting suicidal every night in the shed, tbh.

True, but that's an everyday thing for him. He doesn't feel bad about it and make the O.O face every time he practices magic.
That face is triggered only by his PTSD.

Plenty of things trigger him in normal life. We are talking about dude who has only dreamt the same single dream every night for last 10 years.
And he IS suicidal. Just to simpler degree.
Ex: Agreeing to clean the dojo in prologue, fixing things for others, working overtime, etc - it is no different from what he does in the war, but on smaller scope
Also yeah, his training. As far as I know, playing Russian roulette every night counts as being suicidal.

Shirou does not need this war to be triggered or to act the way he does. It is the ONLY way he can act at all.
He has just as many chances to die saving a random cat by getting in front of a car as he does in this war. It is the only way he can live.

So no. He has not been "living normally"

I do agree that the war triggers him though. And it makes him "easier" to function to the point of relief/happiness(too bad anime decided to focus on random fucking statue in the rejoice scene)

Too bad we never got ANYTHING beyond "Oh man the fire somehow messed with his head and he feels guilty" in anime so far, so anime viewers will never be able to understand him nor like him.

I'd rather trade all the "oh man Ive seen some shit" faces ufo spends time animating in favor of a look inside of his head and his ideology and psychology - the things that actually matter.

At best we can hope for some cheaply made episode long flashback for him or something(basically giving him the same treatment as freaking minor characters like Illya), but even that I doubt will happen. Why? Because by this point we should already know that and the focus should already be on "how that should or would change due to what he is experiencing in this war"

Alas. People turning into gatorade seems to be more important to this production staff.
AhenshihaelApr 28, 2015 3:08 PM
Apr 28, 2015 3:07 PM

Feb 2015
CookingPriest said:
astroprogs said:

True, but that's an everyday thing for him. He doesn't feel bad about it and make the O.O face every time he practices magic.
That face is triggered only by his PTSD.

Plenty of things trigger him in normal life. We are talking about dude who has only dreamt the same single dream every night for last 10 years.
Ex: Agreeing to clean the dojo in prologue, fixing things for others, working overtime, etc - it is no different from what he does in the war, but on smaller scope
Also yeah, his training. As far as I know, playing Russian roulette every night counts as being suicidal.

Shirou does not need this war to be triggered or to act the way he does. It is the ONLY way he can act at all.
He has just as many chances to die saving a random cat by getting in front of a car as he does in this war. It is the only way he can live.

I do agree that the war triggers him though. And it makes him "easier" to function to the point of relief/happiness(too bad anime decided to focus on random fucking statue in the rejoice scene)

Too bad we never got ANYTHING beyond "Oh man the fire somehow messed with his head and he feels guilty" in anime so far, so anime viewers will never be able to understand him nor like him.

I'd rather trade all the "oh man Ive seen some shit" faces ufo spends time animating in favor of a look inside of his head and his ideology and psychology - the things that actually matter.

At best we can hope for some cheaply made episode long flashback for him or something(basically giving him the same treatment as freaking minor characters like Illya), but even that I doubt will happen. Alas. People turning into gatorade seems to be more important to this production staff.

Well, to be fair, its got electrolytes!!
I'll change this as soon as I think of something clever.
Apr 28, 2015 3:35 PM

Feb 2009
CookingPriest said:

Or doing an holding breath underwater contest and almost passing out due to lack of oxygen. He can take choking and pass it as normal.
"Hm, water is starting to go in. Oh and it's getting darker. Guess I'll stay under a bit longer." This nigga...
Stev said:
ayy lmao
Apr 28, 2015 3:43 PM

Aug 2010
CookingPriest said:

It's the face I'm talking about, though. Shirou wishes to help everybody, but he never had a chance to risk his life to do that before the war.
Yes, if the situation required it he'll do it, war or not, but that kind of situation didn't happen before the war.

Suicidal training was for the general purpose of helping people, so he uses it to fill the void inside himself. He does NOT do it because he's triggered.
To clarify, the emptiness inside of him is a symptom NOT the disease, so Shirou doesn't get PTSD flashbacks every time he sees someone in need. He does get PTSD flasbacks when something happens that reminds him of the fire (death).
It's how he can remain functional. If people saw his suicidal side, he wouldn't have had that reputation.

Shirou wasn't normal, but he had a normal life.
Apr 28, 2015 3:56 PM

Jul 2007
HungryPriest said:
CookingPriest said:

Or doing an holding breath underwater contest and almost passing out due to lack of oxygen. He can take choking and pass it as normal.
"Hm, water is starting to go in. Oh and it's getting darker. Guess I'll stay under a bit longer." This nigga...

As funny as it sounds, yes. Not having self preservation or any care for your wellbeing can lead to an end even without a magic war, deadly magic training or impossible ideals.

And shirou has all of those too.

astroprogs said:

It's how he can remain functional. If people saw his suicidal side, he wouldn't have had that reputation.

He does have the "wow you are somehow fucked up/too good" reputation as shown by Issei's and Ayakos reactions.

Shirou wasn't normal, but he had a normal life.

He tried to emulate one. But it was in no way normal. On surface it might seem so, but it clearly was not considering how he approaches interactions.
Apr 28, 2015 4:12 PM

Feb 2015
CookingPriest said:

He tried to emulate one. But it was in no way normal. On surface it might seem so, but it clearly was not considering how he approaches interactions.

Agreed, and on a completely different note, I just remembered why that gif of shinji in your sig. seemed so familar, for those who are interested here: https://danbooru.donmai.us/data/46d35931e124cf66a66d6ef60f746622.swf
Apr 28, 2015 4:19 PM

Sep 2012
It's easy to see that Shirou's life was never normal to begin with. Heck, even a regular classmate like Ayako noticed how he isn't normal by any means. He just tried to act normal, but once push came to shove, he always acted suicidal and never considering the dangers he himself would face. As long as he helped another individual, that was enough for him. Not worrying about one self at all is what makes him "broken". And it has to do with how he's portrayed, not just the fact that he is broken.

The problem here is that Ufo didn't really showcase Shirou as well as they should've, since his problems go farther than just regular PTSD, and the trigger is everyday events, though the war is obviously the strongest trigger. That's why F/SN is a character study built around Shirou for the most part, with the death game being just a tool for that exploration, for the most part. I can't blame anime-onlies for saying that F/Sn is a generic death game though, because character-wise, it skipped too many improtant things. We can only hope for an episode about Shirou at this point, like CookingPriest said.
Apr 28, 2015 4:23 PM

Aug 2010
CookingPriest said:

He does have the "wow you are somehow fucked up/too good" reputation as shown by Issei's and Ayakos reactions.

That's not the same as "Get away from us you abnormal freak".

CookingPriest said:

'Normal' is purely about the surface. Being seemingly over thoughtful and helpful to others doesn't fall outside the norm.
People classify each others based on behavior, not inner thoughts. As long as you act normal, then you're normal to people.
Apr 28, 2015 5:19 PM

Sep 2008
Dug_Fin said:
CookingPriest said:

Agreed, and on a completely different note, I just remembered why that gif of shinji in your sig. seemed so familar, for those who are interested here: https://danbooru.donmai.us/data/46d35931e124cf66a66d6ef60f746622.swf

Thank you good sir, my day is complete.
Apr 28, 2015 8:32 PM

Jan 2015
YakshaPriest said:
It's easy to see that Shirou's life was never normal to begin with. Heck, even a regular classmate like Ayako noticed how he isn't normal by any means. He just tried to act normal, but once push came to shove, he always acted suicidal and never considering the dangers he himself would face. As long as he helped another individual, that was enough for him. Not worrying about one self at all is what makes him "broken". And it has to do with how he's portrayed, not just the fact that he is broken.

The problem here is that Ufo didn't really showcase Shirou as well as they should've, since his problems go farther than just regular PTSD, and the trigger is everyday events, though the war is obviously the strongest trigger. That's why F/SN is a character study built around Shirou for the most part, with the death game being just a tool for that exploration, for the most part. I can't blame anime-onlies for saying that F/Sn is a generic death game though, because character-wise, it skipped too many improtant things. We can only hope for an episode about Shirou at this point, like CookingPriest said.

Agreed. The show just isn't developing him, as I would hoped. The adaptation skipped some parts and portrayed some scenes poorly. The one scene that irked me was when him and Tohsoka were talking and he suddenly had this empty look in his eyes like a robot.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 2015 8:53 PM

Sep 2014
Eylandos said:

Agreed. The show just isn't developing him, as I would hoped. The adaptation skipped some parts and portrayed some scenes poorly. The one scene that irked me was when him and Tohsoka were talking and he suddenly had this empty look in his eyes like a robot.
..i actually liked his PTSD face...i was hoping for the scene to be longer since there isnt a whole lot to back it up. it was dissapointing how short the fire flashback was.
Apr 28, 2015 9:03 PM

Jan 2015
Maloghurst said:
Eylandos said:

..i actually liked his PTSD face...i was hoping for the scene to be longer since there isnt a whole lot to back it up. it was dissapointing how short the fire flashback was.

The flashback needed to be longer and more buildup on why Shirou does what he does.

The scene just felt off to me because viewers were scratching their head wondering what was going on.
Apr 28, 2015 9:15 PM

Sep 2014
Eylandos said:
Maloghurst said:

The flashback needed to be longer and more buildup on why Shirou does what he does.

The scene just felt off to me because viewers were scratching their head wondering what was going on.
yes, they are just too few and small so they lack punch. lokking at how many episodes are left there is still a chance for shirou to get his. but i'm not holding my breath, it's just way late in the series to really drive it home with consistency. i wanna say this though.. also considering how many episodes left there is a chance they are really aiming to deliver hard on The Answer since it will either make this series or break it. this might just be hopeless optimism though.
Apr 28, 2015 9:15 PM

Feb 2015
Eylandos said:
Maloghurst said:

I think they got what was going on, people were dying in a fire, I just don't think they got the extent of how wrong it was, what with
Apr 28, 2015 9:24 PM

Apr 2014
Maloghurst said:
Eylandos said:

yes, they are just too few and small so they lack punch. lokking at how many episodes are left there is still a chance for shirou to get his. but i'm not holding my breath, it's just way late in the series to really drive it home with consistency. i wanna say this though.. also considering how many episodes left there is a chance they are really aiming to deliver hard on The Answer since it will either make this series or break it. this might just be hopeless optimism though.

Hopeless optimism is certainly not wrong though, even as idealistic as it might be.
Apr 28, 2015 9:39 PM

Dec 2010
just wanted to share this Illya and Baserker episode from Carnival Phatasm enjoy ^-^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkGJuimPUNw
Apr 28, 2015 10:15 PM

Jul 2007
Eylandos said:
Maloghurst said:

Yep. I have seen people outright think that "he got traumatized for seeing someone die for first time" lol.

You'd have to be a prophet to get Shirou's character in anime without VN knowledge.
Apr 29, 2015 4:38 AM

Aug 2013
@the Opening, who's that guy after Lancer and before Assassin? the one who's raising his hands in the sky? 4 episodes now and I still don't know who it is lol.
Apr 29, 2015 4:42 AM

Aug 2014
Guranto-kun said:
@the Opening, who's that guy after Lancer and before Assassin? the one who's raising his hands in the sky? 4 episodes now and I still don't know who it is lol.

You mean...Caster?
Apr 29, 2015 4:43 AM

Aug 2013
Guranto-kun said:

That would be Caster.

Her hair length is kinda inconsistent in the opening.
Apr 29, 2015 4:49 AM

Aug 2013
Insertanamehere said:
Guranto-kun said:

You mean...Caster?

DamnThatsTheSpot said:
Guranto-kun said:

That would be Caster.

Her hair length is kinda inconsistent in the opening.

oh makes sense and its "She" not "He" lol sorry. thanks btw

i feel like i got trolled for four weeks lmao
Apr 29, 2015 6:33 AM

May 2014
Now I totally ship Rin x Lancer.

And seeing poor Illya's ripped out heart just killed me. ;_; But it did seem to be a rather swift and clean operation by Dr. Gil.
Apr 29, 2015 7:15 AM

Oct 2014
Dr. Gil 2.0 is released! Time for Yuetsu!

Apr 29, 2015 11:14 AM

Dec 2010
Ovarall 8.8/10 for me..little slow to start..hope it gets better...hoping that gilgamesh has less screen time in the next 4 episodes...he ruins the balance of power of other servants..
Mim
Apr 29, 2015 11:40 AM

Aug 2010
Grey-Zone said:

"SEE! YOU FAILED !! NOTHING HAPPENED!"
LMFAO

"(AH-CHOO)"
I almost died there. This is pure gold.
Apr 29, 2015 12:23 PM

Aug 2014
Jsmithmim said:
Ovarall 8.8/10 for me..little slow to start..hope it gets better...hoping that gilgamesh has less screen time in the next 4 episodes...he ruins the balance of power of other servants..

Don't worry ;)

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 29, 2015 5:07 PM
Apr 2015
i don't understand what's the problem with fate community;14 pages of comments which 70% is made from people who compare the episodes with Vn.
Is it so difficult for you to understand that people came here to comment episode, AND NOT To COMPARE to your fuccking VN?

Btw that episode was full of rin kawai faces

Luna_ said:
[b]THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION THREAD. DO NOT DISCUSS THE VISUAL NOVEL BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

- This thread is only about this episode / this anime. If you want to discuss (future) events in the VN or Fate/Zero, compare the anime with the VN or Fate/Zero etc. please use separate threads.
- Do not spam in this thread. This isn't a chat thread or your twitter.
- Do not ask where to watch this episode or post links to the episode.
- Trolling/baiting/abuse/harassment will not be tolerated.

For more information see the Anime Series Episode Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.[/b]
Apr 29, 2015 5:12 PM

Oct 2014
Report the freakin posts and stop posting that. No one cares about your drive by modding, report it so mods can get rid of it.
Apr 29, 2015 5:24 PM
Apr 2015
nocorras said:
Report the freakin posts and stop posting that. No one cares about your drive by modding, report it so mods can get rid of it.

i want to get rid of people that can't read the fuccking first comment :) , its about immature people who just ignore such easy rules.
Apr 29, 2015 6:07 PM

Oct 2014
TrueHaremKing said:
nocorras said:

i want to get rid of people that can't read the fuccking first comment :) , its about immature people who just ignore such easy rules.

And it does absolutely nothing, feel free to keep wasting your time instead of reporting posts.
Apr 29, 2015 6:30 PM

Oct 2014
TrueHaremKing said:
i don't understand what's the problem with fate community;14 pages of comments which 70% is made from people who compare the episodes with Vn.
Is it so difficult for you to understand that people came here to comment episode, AND NOT To COMPARE to your fuccking VN?

Luna_ said:
[b]THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION THREAD. DO NOT DISCUSS THE VISUAL NOVEL BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

- This thread is only about this episode / this anime. If you want to discuss (future) events in the VN or Fate/Zero, compare the anime with the VN or Fate/Zero etc. please use separate threads.

For more information see the Anime Series Episode Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.[/b]

>Implying Dr. Gilgamesh is not related to the episode, lulz.
Apr 29, 2015 6:33 PM

Aug 2013
TrueHaremKing said:

Luna_ said:

It says "not beyond this episode". Everything up to this point in the VN is fair game. Also, comparing an adaptation to a VN is very fair since an adaptation is a translation of a work to a different medium. Here we talk about whether the adaptation is a good translation or not.
Apr 29, 2015 6:41 PM

Oct 2014
Kolios said:
It says "not beyond this episode". Everything up to this point in the VN is fair game. Also, comparing an adaptation to a VN is very fair since an adaptation is a translation of a work to a different medium. Here we talk about whether the adaptation is a good translation or not.

Luna_ said:

"Seperate Thread": http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1370090&show=550
Grey-ZoneApr 29, 2015 6:44 PM
Apr 29, 2015 8:08 PM
Apr 2012
UTW caught up!
Apr 29, 2015 8:13 PM

Oct 2011
Shirou and Rin just seem like the most off couple. They don't complement each other in my opinion.

I see no fluidity in their interactions and their personalities don't mesh.

Hopefully it is a side drama that hooks in the romance audience and nothing more.
Apr 29, 2015 8:14 PM

May 2014
d4zednc0nfused said:
UTW caught up!

Praise The Lord!

If they're going to be relatively quick I might just wait for them.
Apr 29, 2015 8:17 PM

May 2014
Gov said:
Shirou and Rin just seem like the most off couple. They don't complement each other in my opinion.

Hopefully it is a side drama that hooks in the romance audience and nothing more.

They have really bad sex too.
Apr 29, 2015 8:48 PM

Oct 2014
WrongPriest said:
Gov said:

Because Rin's a prude.
nocorrasApr 29, 2015 8:54 PM
Apr 29, 2015 9:20 PM

Apr 2014
Grey-Zone said:

Apr 29, 2015 9:24 PM

Oct 2011
WrongPriest said:
Gov said:

Shirou can have sex? You learn something new something everyday.
Apr 29, 2015 9:36 PM

Sep 2014
Gov said:
WrongPriest said:

you must be really out of the loop dude. not that it's a bad thing. when you get pulled in you get pulled into a spiral of madness...doomed to endless cycles of drowning in yuetsu.
Apr 29, 2015 9:41 PM

Oct 2011
Maloghurst said:
Gov said:

you must be really out of the loop dude. not that it's a bad thing. when you get pulled in you get pulled into a spiral of madness...doomed to endless cycles of drowning in yuetsu.

*cringes and logs off*
Apr 29, 2015 9:44 PM

Sep 2014
Gov said:
Maloghurst said:

*cringes and logs off*
no gov...come back...come back
Apr 30, 2015 5:13 AM

Sep 2008
Gov said:

Maybe it's just me but i feel this is the fault of the adaptation. VN Makes it seem more natural imho :/
Apr 30, 2015 7:03 AM

Jan 2014
TheUnknownMerc said:
Gov said:

Maybe it's just me but i feel this is the fault of the adaptation. VN Makes it seem more natural imho :/
Yeah, same here.

In the VN out of the three possible romances Shirou x Rin came across as the healthiest and most natural one, and not just because the other two were poop. Their interactions were always entertaining (at least as much as Rin's dialogues with Archer), and you could clearly see how well they complimented each other.
I blame the adaptation for making Shirou too passive and clueless, cause in the VN a fair amount of teasing came from his side, and you don't really see that in the animu. So it's no wonder their relationship might come off as bland or unengaging.
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Apr 30, 2015 7:21 AM

Dec 2013
I really liked the development in this episode.
Not only did they finally establish the Shirou-Rin pairing, but they actually put some dry humor into his mouth for once. I really like their chemistry.
The fact that they care about one another enough to try and force the other to back off from Lancer was a welcome change, even though it wasn't as apparent as it really needed to be.

The talk with Archer and Kuzuki was pretty well done. I look forward to seeing more about Kuzuki and Caster's stories.

Also, the opening heart-ripping scene really should have been shown last episode. Using it in this episode, and glossing over it so casually, really doesn't do the scene justice.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Apr 30, 2015 7:43 AM

Sep 2014
TheUnknownMerc said:
Gov said:

i was contemplating responding to Gov as to why the Rin/Shirou pairy works and how it plays on UBW's theme. This episode illustrated it but doesnt really have much backup to it to make it more natural. I can understand were Gov is coming from i just can't agree with him knowing what i know, at least not wholeheartedly.
Pages (16) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 11, 2015

1719 by icim_fitto »»
Apr 27, 4:58 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 4, 2015

1557 by Swatheesh123 »»
Apr 9, 8:52 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Jun 13, 2015

1574 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 12:29 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 17, 2015

1448 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 9, 2015

1316 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 9:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.