Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 3, 2018 8:32 PM

Mar 2008
katsucats said:
dave said:
[yt]y_ZmM7zPLyI[yt]
He said let's look at the statistics, but did he ever look at the statistics for the number of billionaires in the world?

https://ethanbeute.com/higher-education-levels-forbes-400-richest-americans/

A Forbes' compilation shows 80% of billionaires in America hold a bachelor's degree or higher. So yeah, you don't need a college degree to be wealthy, or vice versa, but it's pretty fucking correlated -- but statistical correlation is probably not on the minds of people who dropped out of high school because they saw the movie Social Network about Mark Zuckerburg.

This is making the mistake of thinking correlation is causation if you're saying that's the reason why the majority is that wealthy is because of their degree. If someone is from a rich family to begin with they can afford those degrees with ease for mere interest in a subject and because they had more money to start that also makes increasing money from investments much easier than an average person hell they can make more money than a normal person by just having their money stagnate in a bank and build interest. Degrees do often help lead to higher income due to the social standard (but not gauranteed) but it doesn't apply that way to the elites.

"A third of the members of the Forbes 400 own fortunes derived from companies that were founded by earlier generations."
https://inequality.org/great-divide/billionaire-bonanza-2018-inherited-wealth-dynasties-in-the-21st-century-u-s/

61.5% - 63.75% of the Forbes list were born into and inherited a wealth above middle class.
https://www.cnbc.com/id/49167533
traedNov 3, 2018 8:36 PM
Nov 3, 2018 8:36 PM
Oct 2018
Yup . There is no skilling of youth in educational institution where I live . Education system needs to evolve itself . Education must be free . But hey ! We have commodified everything . Money is all that matters to us now .
Nov 3, 2018 9:05 PM

Feb 2016
If you live somewhere in Asia.. Education is no joke here.. If you dont care about your education. Your goddamn teachers would shit on your grades.

Nov 4, 2018 12:22 AM

Oct 2012
traed said:
katsucats said:
He said let's look at the statistics, but did he ever look at the statistics for the number of billionaires in the world?

https://ethanbeute.com/higher-education-levels-forbes-400-richest-americans/

A Forbes' compilation shows 80% of billionaires in America hold a bachelor's degree or higher. So yeah, you don't need a college degree to be wealthy, or vice versa, but it's pretty fucking correlated -- but statistical correlation is probably not on the minds of people who dropped out of high school because they saw the movie Social Network about Mark Zuckerburg.

This is making the mistake of thinking correlation is causation if you're saying that's the reason why the majority is that wealthy is because of their degree. If someone is from a rich family to begin with they can afford those degrees with ease for mere interest in a subject and because they had more money to start that also makes increasing money from investments much easier than an average person hell they can make more money than a normal person by just having their money stagnate in a bank and build interest. Degrees do often help lead to higher income due to the social standard (but not gauranteed) but it doesn't apply that way to the elites.

"A third of the members of the Forbes 400 own fortunes derived from companies that were founded by earlier generations."
https://inequality.org/great-divide/billionaire-bonanza-2018-inherited-wealth-dynasties-in-the-21st-century-u-s/

61.5% - 63.75% of the Forbes list were born into and inherited a wealth above middle class.
Nope, there is no mistake at all. There is merely a correlation. However, if you think that billionaires being wealthy are in spite of their college degrees even though 80% of them have them, you are welcome to present that hypothesis. Unfortunately for you, the trend of college graduates making more money extend far below the billionaire level.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Nov 4, 2018 1:52 AM

Mar 2008
katsucats said:
traed said:

Nope, there is no mistake at all. There is merely a correlation. However, if you think that billionaires being wealthy are in spite of their college degrees even though 80% of them have them, you are welcome to present that hypothesis. Unfortunately for you, the trend of college graduates making more money extend far below the billionaire level.

Keep in mind not everyone on the Forbes list is a billionaire it also includes millionaires and the trillionare Jeff Bezos. I think you just got mixed up because I changed the money amount to fit with what information I had available.

I didn't say there was no correlation just that how you worded things was making it sound like you were implying most got rich because they are more educated just because most billionaires had a degree which would be wrong because the majority were rich from the start just not all Forbes list level of rich. I'm not saying that a degree didn't help any of the the 35% that were middle class or lower middle class make the list or that it had no effect at all on increasing wealth of those that started rich. Even if we assumed the full 35% that started middle class or lower middle class all had degrees that still means the majority of the Forbes list that have a degree is not why they were rich and when I say rich i mean upper class not necessarily billionaires. They mostly had a degree after the fact they were rich before they did have a degre. Not all Forbes list rich but still above middle class. I'm just saying it's a really poor example to demonstrate the effects of a degree on income because other factors are at play which makes it hard to see. For you to support it being the reason they became even richer you have to provide their original starting asset amount and how much percentage wise they gained after the same number of years (because businesses take time to grow and too big a difference in time wouldn't be a fair comparison) and during similar years (because the economy fluctuates) and compair that to those on the Forbes list without a degree and also account for their starting asset level. Of course this criteria will limit how many qualify for comparison.

No one or hardly anyone here on MAL (maybe some are hiding) is going to go to some elite ivy league school and be handed a multi million dollar business and be given a multi million dollar debt free loan from their parents and have their business promoted by their celebrity connections and launder their money in an offshore bank account.
traedNov 4, 2018 1:56 AM
Nov 4, 2018 1:54 AM

Apr 2016
And ofc its an alter account no one ever saw because was made the exact same day this thread was necroed, Jesus christ.
Nov 4, 2018 2:10 AM

Nov 2014
I love it when some idiot necros 3 years old topic and nobody notices thye are answering to 2015 post.
Nov 4, 2018 2:19 AM

Aug 2014
traed said:
and the trillionare Jeff Bezos.

His net worth is around 168 billion. Looks like you're confusing Amazon's total market value (which briefly exceeded a trillion dollars on the stock market) with an individual's wealth.
Nov 4, 2018 4:24 AM

Mar 2008
SadMadoka said:
traed said:
and the trillionare Jeff Bezos.

His net worth is around 168 billion. Looks like you're confusing Amazon's total market value (which briefly exceeded a trillion dollars on the stock market) with an individual's wealth.

I suppose that makes more sense. It's just how I remembered it
Nov 4, 2018 7:37 AM
Jul 2018
It depends what kind of education you're seeking. For example, getting a gender studies degree will be a complete joke that will not help you in acquiring any job whatsoever. If you are seeking a law or medical education, then its probably not a joke since people are usually serious when they teach this stuff.
Nov 5, 2018 1:59 PM
Jan 2018
Good luck getting into anything engineering without a degree or certificate. Employers won't even look at your resume if you're not working towards something.
Nov 5, 2018 3:39 PM
Sep 2014
Hey guys OP here, can confirm education is a joke
Nov 5, 2018 5:23 PM

Jul 2014
Education is just a system for passing on knowledge and skills. As much as I love freedom of expression, the nonsense that comes from a single individual pondering something without the knowledge or skills to handle it is obscene.

That said, I think higher education in science and engineering is in a decent place in many countries, though sometimes there are attitude/cultural issues (Ivy League friend is drunk for days at a time, with significant emotional impact). There are also some subjects that stray from usefulness for various reasons.
Nov 8, 2018 12:27 AM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
If you major is in something stupid then yes indeed it is.
Nov 8, 2018 12:30 AM
Oct 2018
This thread makes me wonder if education system all around is poor .
Nov 8, 2018 12:33 AM
Oct 2018
Kyotosomo said:
If you major is in something stupid then yes indeed it is.

My majors is in sociology and I hear we are in demand in Germany but heh! I ain't in love with Marx-webber and their coterie .
Nov 8, 2018 12:41 AM

Feb 2010
Anushura said:

the U.S it can vary on the schools you go to.

the gap between college and high school is big.

very few high schools prepare you for college. i went to one high school that was more specialized so i got off lucky.

however, the college i went to had basically the equivalent to a staffing coup. so i got fucked over in the crossfire.

and we have very few public colleges that set you up for a job.

and most specialized colleges are even more expensive then public colleges which can lead to basically a life dept.

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Nov 8, 2018 1:22 AM
Oct 2018
hazarddex said:
Anushura said:

the U.S it can vary on the schools you go to.

the gap between college and high school is big.

very few high schools prepare you for college. i went to one high school that was more specialized so i got off lucky.

however, the college i went to had basically the equivalent to a staffing coup. so i got fucked over in the crossfire.

and we have very few public colleges that set you up for a job.

and most specialized colleges are even more expensive then public colleges which can lead to basically a life dept.

What about skill development in schools and colleges ? Anything of that sort or is it just cram syllabus give tests at the year end and move to next class ?
Nov 8, 2018 3:35 AM

Mar 2012
It was a complete joke where I studied at least. Professors don't even conduct lectures or explain anything. If I ask them my doubts they never give any proper explanations, would just tell to either skip that topic since it's not important for exams or ask to simply memorize it. They even tell to memorize practicals! The last time I went to the professor for some help with a program she literally said just memorize it and don't ask questions because that's what she did as well and the program spanned around 30 pages on paper. They only take huge fees and then say that you are big enough to learn everything by yourself.

Students copied during exams and the professors knew but didn't say anything, heck if you complain they'll tell you straight to your face that only end results matter. My classmates who bought their final year projects from outside or took it from seniors got more marks than those who actually made it themselves, people who never attended the internship got more than the ones who actually did. Exams are not about testing the students' knowledge, they are about testing how good the student is at lying and cheating or in best case scenario memorization abilities.

Not to mention they don't provide any practical knowledge necessary to actually get a job which makes it even harder for freshers if they don't make it during campus drives.

Nov 8, 2018 5:13 PM
Jul 2018
^sucks to hear that

and yee, if it's free then quality is usually not that great and if it costs money it's probably not worth it
it's also become a business now too since some people are focusing too much on going to college when it shouldn't be seen as the only option but welp :v
Nov 9, 2018 2:59 AM
Nov 2018
I'm glad, that you've asked. It is very important question now. Many students don’t have enough time to study on high level, cause they have to earn money to pay for their education bills, and that’s why, of course, they order paper writing somewhere like https://pro-papers.com/term-paper-writing and balancing on the verge of school or college expulsion.
Nov 9, 2018 3:11 AM

Oct 2012
Shelly901 said:
I'm glad, that you've asked. It is very important question now. Many students don’t have enough time to study on high level, cause they have to earn money to pay for their education bills, and that’s why, of course, they order paper writing somewhere like https://pro-papers.com/term-paper-writing and balancing on the verge of school or college expulsion.
I'm calling spam. $100 says this guy can't answer which school or college he's talking about.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Nov 9, 2018 6:22 AM

Mar 2012
Flevalt said:
Maou_heika said:
It was a complete joke where I studied at least. Professors don't even conduct lectures or explain anything. If I ask them my doubts they never give any proper explanations, would just tell to either skip that topic since it's not important for exams or ask to simply memorize it. They even tell to memorize practicals! The last time I went to the professor for some help with a program she literally said just memorize it and don't ask questions because that's what she did as well and the program spanned around 30 pages on paper. They only take huge fees and then say that you are big enough to learn everything by yourself.

Students copied during exams and the professors knew but didn't say anything, heck if you complain they'll tell you straight to your face that only end results matter. My classmates who bought their final year projects from outside or took it from seniors got more marks than those who actually made it themselves, people who never attended the internship got more than the ones who actually did. Exams are not about testing the students' knowledge, they are about testing how good the student is at lying and cheating or in best case scenario memorization abilities.

Not to mention they don't provide any practical knowledge necessary to actually get a job which makes it even harder for freshers if they don't make it during campus drives.

A teacher's job isn't to teach you anything, unlike the name suggests. They usually keep that part to the bare minimum of the requirements set by government.

Their job is to evaluate you and perhaps to instigate growth through social conflicts.
The lessons you're supposed to learn are not the content itself but everything around it is the actually important info.
Stuff like

1. One person usually does all the work, the rest act as if they did their share

2. Procrastination

3. Trying hard does the opposite of paying you out.

4. Cheating and at the same time preaching to others about morals is the norm for most people.

5. People tend to defend and stand up for ppl that are in the wrong just for the sake of "muh stability".

And most important of all:
6. The wolf eats the lamb.
Doesn't matter if you are in the right or got facts on your side.
The person with more power ultimately decides.
Nice job trying to defend incompetent teachers. Unfortunately, I have understood those points painfully well over the past 2 years. If teaching those things were more important then they might as well have one single course instead of having various streams and electives with different fee structures, at the end of the day you just have to mug up the actual content without understanding it.

4. Cheating and at the same time preaching to others about morals is the norm for most people.

That isn't necessarily true, I have seen many who made fun of me for actually having studied or not wanting to copy and even those who got angry at me because I didn't help them copy. People shamelessly talk about copying and taking ready-made material from seniors right in front of professors. Morals just aren't trendy enough anymore.
Nov 9, 2018 6:26 AM
Aug 2011
pup said:
I'm missing like 9001 classes because of snow, and I usually don't go to the lectures anyway

Still have good grades

Why do we have to pay money for this?

If you're not using the opportunity to exploit maximum gain out of the experience, then you're having a joke at your own expense. If a passing grade is all you care about, don't bother paying for an education.

If you're not bothering to go to the lectures then you're obviously not bothering to get the maximum actual value out of the experience. You're not paying just to sit in lectures and do the assigned work, you're paying to have access to the entire resources of the university, so go find out what those resources are and exploit the fuck out of them, because you won't have access to them once you're graduated. For example, take the opportunity to get involved in research, work in the university labs etc, and talk to your lecturers every chance you have outside class. You won't have the same access opportunities once you graduate.

If you're content to do "ok" and sit around on your ass the rest of the time why are you paying?
cipheronNov 9, 2018 6:32 AM
Nov 9, 2018 8:12 AM

Mar 2012
Flevalt said:
Maou_heika said:
Nice job trying to defend incompetent teachers. Unfortunately, I have understood those points painfully well over the past 2 years. If teaching those things were more important then they might as well have one single course instead of having various streams and electives with different fee structures, at the end of the day you just have to mug up the actual content without understanding it.

You're learning different courses for the off-chance that you're one of the few that will make a difference for your country somehow. It's not the main purpose of school, but the bigger companies need that highly educated prodigy personnel that will come about here and there. For everyone else, the idea is literally just "it's nice for everyone to have at least some basic/common knowledge".
So the "lessons of life", so to say, are the bigger emphasis for a lot of teachers.

For high grades without a pro-daddy teaching you everything, the best thing you can do is to team up with someone that learns differently from yourself.
One person that likes to just learn stuff by heart without understanding it
+
one person that tries to understand things to keep the workload to a minimum.
The one person will tend to know almost everything the other one doesn't understand and the other way around.
Most people choose their course because they have some interest in those subjects and most probably hope that they can get into that particular field of work at some point in the future. If colleges don't help the students develop the necessary technical skills then what will happen to the vast majority who are not some genius prodigy? Why even pay ridiculous fees to colleges and waste your time when you will simply end up doing common jobs that most probably won't even require that degree. I'm not saying that professors need to spoon-feed you but they should at least have good knowledge over their domain and do the job they are being paid for. Also cheating is not a very good "life skill" to inculcate into students, it's no wonder that dishonesty and corruption is so rampant.

I already completed my education so there's no point in crying over grades now. For some subjects reference books were good enough for others I'm really grateful to the universities that upload lecture videos on youtube since I'm not a genius.
Nov 9, 2018 8:24 AM

Oct 2018
Because they want your money,because they need to get you brainwashed.This is what they want:

Nov 9, 2018 11:05 AM

Oct 2009
Keep the masses stupid & unaware. that is the plan
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» How do you travel daily

ST63LTH - 2 hours ago

1 by Rinrinka »»
2 minutes ago

» Hottest non Hollywood actor on YouTube?

scarydragon - Apr 28

10 by Blackfire2340 »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » do you engage or ignore what you hate?

deg - 7 hours ago

7 by Blackfire2340 »»
23 minutes ago

» What are you insecure about the most?

Ejrodiew - Apr 30

32 by traed »»
51 minutes ago

Poll: » do you believe in near term human extinction or NTHE?

deg - May 1

46 by SmugSatoko »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.