Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 9, 2015 3:26 PM

Jul 2014
no
Mar 9, 2015 3:30 PM

Aug 2014
Honestly, I have to say Yes and No. Yes I agree, people who commit horrendous crimes should be killed. They clearly lost their right to be human or to even be alive in my opinion. But, a lot of people who have the death penalty can possibly be innocent. So I really hate the fact of having an innocent person dying for no reason. If someone has a death penalty, you need some solid evidence to prove that he committed the crime to make sure that you aren't killing an innocent man.
Mar 9, 2015 3:32 PM

Jun 2013

Yes, I've given my reasons why in a multitude of threads on this site.
Mar 9, 2015 4:29 PM

Oct 2010
It depends.
If there was a psycho that went around killing a significant amount of people (at least 10+), I honestly wouldn't be against it. Otherwise I am either indifferent or against it, depending on the situation.
Mar 9, 2015 4:32 PM

Sep 2012
I like the idea of giving the accused a choice between life imprisonment or the death penalty.
Mar 9, 2015 4:34 PM
Nov 2014
Only if the offender is proven guilty.
Mar 9, 2015 4:49 PM

Jun 2014
It's the height of irony to kill someone because they committed a crime, when murder is a crime in itself.

Besides, if someone committed a crime bad enough to "warrant" a death penalty, shouldn't they be made to suffer for years in prison? Death would be too simple.
Mar 9, 2015 4:50 PM

Jul 2012
of course! there is no place for heretics on our holy world! All dissidents and heterodox have to burn in the fire of purity
Mar 9, 2015 4:55 PM

May 2013
Ya, some people have to go. If you think prison rehabilitates hardened criminals, you're funny.
-SwishMar 9, 2015 5:06 PM
Mar 9, 2015 4:59 PM

Aug 2014
BruceLad said:
Yeah but sometimes people are proven guilty despite them not actually committing the crime. I say you should execute them when you have 100% solid evidence that the person did it.
Mar 9, 2015 5:03 PM
Nov 2014
MechaKiryu said:
BruceLad said:
Yeah but sometimes people are proven guilty despite them not actually committing the crime. I say you should execute them when you have 100% solid evidence that the person did it.
Yep, sometimes they just execute people without solid evidence. It disgusts me.
Mar 9, 2015 5:04 PM
Feb 2011
Moog- said:
It's a waste of human life. We could've experimented on them and gained insight instead.
Mar 9, 2015 6:49 PM

Jan 2015
against
Mar 9, 2015 7:18 PM

Nov 2012
What if you're falsely convicted and get sent the death penalty?
See, no.
Tch!
Mar 9, 2015 7:19 PM

Dec 2009
I don't believe in the death penalty, I believe in the be forced to become a gladiator and fight bears for public entertainment penalty.
Mar 9, 2015 7:22 PM

May 2009
For it.
Mar 9, 2015 8:02 PM

May 2014
against, because whats worse death or life stuck in boring prison with no freedom?
Mar 9, 2015 8:10 PM

Dec 2013
Thoroughly against. No man should have authority over whether someone lives or not.
Mar 9, 2015 8:12 PM

Feb 2015
I don't know. It seems silly to have a state that can't kill its own people.

Apr 3, 2015 3:53 PM

Feb 2008
I was going to make a thread about this but then common sense kicked in - to actually search and see if someone made a recent(ish) thread about it. So here it is.

Right, so what led me to actually search for this thread and reply to it? (Yeah skip this next bit if you want) Well, I just finished a nice 12 hour shift at work and had some nice spaghetti bolognese ready to eat for dinner. So I sat down to eat and a TV programme was on about Executions - In Houston, Texas. I'd say I managed to catch this midway so I didn't know the offenders full story nor a lot of details about the crime he committed. However he was consciously aware of what he had done nor did he try to deny any wrongdoings. In essence, he pleaded guilty. He was executed by lethal injection in the end.

You may have heard 'An eye for an eye' at least once in your lifetime, religious or otherwise. I'm partial to this quote as emotions can effect someones judgement and rationality very quickly when the context in question is personal. Does this mean you should be able to act like a mighty being and decide upon whether a person should live or not? Even I cannot answer that as I really just don't know. However does that mean that this life in question should not be punished for their actions? No. Should you always forgive? They say it takes a big person to forgive someone no matter what they did, however is this true forgiveness? Well that's another story.

Back on track, what truly made me question the death penalty was the end of the programme. The victim's family got what they asked for, the culprit sentenced and executed. Even then they still wasn't happy, even spewing nonsense about the need to show young children everybody that gets executed to know what happens to bad people and to bring back the old methods of hangings and guillotines (what the fuck?) So all's well that ends well right? Well no, what truly and emotionally got me what the culprit's family right at the end. After interviewing the victim's family, they interviewed a very short bit with the culprits family. After hearing them apologise again for what their son did, the mother turned round and said as her last words 'I know how you feel. We have also lost a son today'. The father was too choked up to even say anything. This is the point where my chest tightened up (That don't usually happen). So I questioned myself, why?

At the end, everyone suffers. However because of consequential actions, more then one family was forced to suffer. A mother and father who had no involvement whatsoever (debatable?) was made to suffer and apologise. People can say it's because of their own son is why they suffered and others will say it's because of the actions of the death penalty. What is right and who is right? I still can't answer this.

Justice can mean many things, well at least Wikipedia tells me this. Was it justice to take a man's life? Was it justice to make a family suffer for another family? Would it have been justice not to sentence the culprit to death? Would it have been justice to do nothing at all out of morals? I still can't answer this.

So am I against or for? I cannot answer (I've said this quite a lot now). I cannot say it is right nor wrong as what I feel and think are constantly conflicting with each other. If I had to be partial to one however just to answer the question, it would be against. Perhaps you think I'm being ridiculous but I just had to share my view regardless of the negativity I may get.
Apr 3, 2015 4:10 PM

Nov 2012
^ someone give this dude a award. (not even joking)
Apr 3, 2015 4:12 PM

Apr 2015
no against.
Apr 3, 2015 4:54 PM

Oct 2013
It depends on the crime and such. I'm sort of in the middle when it comes to the death penalty.
Apr 3, 2015 5:07 PM

Sep 2013
Extremely for it for anything involving torture for enjoyment and/or the murder of an innocent. Oh and people who hurt dogs. I'd gladly kill those pieces of garbage myself. Slowly. And no I don't contradict myself there. I wouldn't enjoy their slow deaths; it's merely their retribution.
-Klad- said:
I'm against death penalty as well. While it's a good feeling to see the criminal getting executed, it's also not right to kill people and sink in their level. It's a confusing matter tbh

Sink to what level? Humans abandon their humanity when they kill the innocents. All we would be doing is cleaning up the garbage that once called itself human.
Old_RavenApr 3, 2015 5:12 PM
Apr 3, 2015 5:21 PM

Nov 2012
I still want to note that there are some cases where people get justified when they did noting wrong to begin with. It's to late to correct those mistakes when they are already death. It's not as easy ass people say it is. Yet i understand you guys, i also want people like IS guys to get paid back the same way. Yet innocent people will die too cuz the justice system is not perfect anywhere in the world. It would be really shitty if you where innocent en got killed for something you did not do to begin with.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» FAvorite philosopher and Why ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Nov 4, 2018

115 by deg »»
14 minutes ago

» why are the nordic countries so happy? ( 1 2 )

deg - Mar 29

72 by Freshell »»
17 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

706 by Hitagi__Furude »»
34 minutes ago

» Has anyone ever told you in real life that "You are enough"?

LenRea - Apr 30

36 by LoveLikeBlood »»
42 minutes ago

» Is this the best site ever?

DigiCat - May 17, 2023

38 by The-Nsider »»
55 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.