Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 28, 2009 3:26 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Another good episode which is odd, considering how many people seem to believe this series is "worse" than the first. Adama being extremely close to human was interesting and the action scenes involving Priss out of her suit were pretty well done, I thought.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 23, 2009 6:19 PM

Feb 2009
Completely agreed. Although I didn't like the previous episode as much, I thought this episode was pretty good, the concept isn't anything new and wasn't for that time, but the "human machine" was well done here.

My only gripe about this episode was how fragile the Boomers chasing were >_> going down with 1 and 2 shots, seriously? Even if they were simple weak boomers, considering what we've seen in AD Police and BGC they were a little too much.

The last fight was tight.
Mar 14, 2013 12:57 AM

Feb 2010
Strange, I think it is obvious, Crash is a better directed one.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Feb 3, 2015 10:49 AM
Dec 2014
The story itself is fine. It just conflicts way too much on what's established in previous works, that's all.
Aug 22, 2015 2:05 PM

Feb 2013
Again, not bad. Decent action and pacing.

That spider-robot had a nice laser.
Jan 2, 2019 11:23 AM

Sep 2018
I don't understand why people are calling this "better directed" in here. The animation was lazy, the art was all over the place, and in both the episode before this and this one the voice actors half seem like they have had it with the show and don't really want to be there. Add onto that the blatant inconsistencies with the already established lore around boomers (previous to this we had boomers that looked and acted exactly like humans, so why is adama a big deal?) and character traits (no where before now did Priss have a boomer hate complex, hell, in the previous series she was close friends with a couple of girls that she knew full well were boomers) and you have a complete mess of an episode that doesn't make any sense within the larger narrative. The episode was enjoyable by low budget OVA standards, but as part of the bubblegum crisis series as a whole this is a huge let down.
Jul 9, 2019 12:50 PM

Mar 2017
Damn, that spider mecha was gnarly.

I really enjoyed this episode.

Aug 19, 2019 2:59 AM

Dec 2018
kandi_gloss said:
I don't understand why people are calling this "better directed" in here. The animation was lazy, the art was all over the place, and in both the episode before this and this one the voice actors half seem like they have had it with the show and don't really want to be there. Add onto that the blatant inconsistencies with the already established lore around boomers (previous to this we had boomers that looked and acted exactly like humans, so why is adama a big deal?) and character traits (no where before now did Priss have a boomer hate complex, hell, in the previous series she was close friends with a couple of girls that she knew full well were boomers) and you have a complete mess of an episode that doesn't make any sense within the larger narrative. The episode was enjoyable by low budget OVA standards, but as part of the bubblegum crisis series as a whole this is a huge let down.

Exactly. Not to ention somewhat redconing Sylia's childhood. Episode 1 of Crisis cleary showed that her father was orking on Knight Saber suits, not peacefull androids.

First episode of Clash was 7/10, and this one is 5/10.
Dec 26, 2019 12:34 PM

Jun 2015
If just judging Bubblegum Crash as a standalone series rather than connecting to Crisis, it's pretty enjoyable.
Apr 3, 2021 1:29 PM

Aug 2017
Priss' opinion on boomers is strange. Why does she dislike them given the previous story arcs with Anri and Sylvie?

Suddenly finding more ammo for a firefight after being unable to shoot, I see.

Adama redirecting the beam was...strange. What power! And Priss even got to use a beam saber, nice.

I hope Sylia didn't hoard the info about the final villain during the flight back.

why is adama a big deal

Mostly because of his "unique AI", I guess. Though there's definitely an inconsistency here. Probably caused by the mess that the production of this show and its predecessor was.
Feb 20, 2022 11:30 AM

Nov 2016
Liked the premise of this episode quite a bit. Adama was amusing and being voiced by the one and only Minami Takayama (Conan) made it all the better.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 24, 2022 2:50 PM

Jun 2020
I did like this episode as well. The pacing was decent, the action was exciting and the emotional bits hit me more than any shallow 80s OVA has a right to.

However, the voice acting isn't a patch on the first series, and I stand by my comment on the first episode: when your "star" VAs are genuinely almost beaten by no-name schmos who had about 30 seconds a line and no idea of the plot you know the director has screwed up big time.

The whole Bubblegum Crisis franchise is very hit and miss. It's kind of sad how much brilliant animation, music and voice acting was wasted on formulaic or badly-told stories.

Prissy hating
St0rmblade said:
Priss' opinion on boomers is strange. Why does she dislike them given the previous story arcs with Anri and Sylvie?

why is adama a big deal

Mostly because of his "unique AI", I guess. Though there's definitely an inconsistency here. Probably caused by the mess that the production of this show and its predecessor was.

Yet more ammunition for my headcanon that this is a prequel, not a sequel.

And I'm not sure what Kandi_gloss was watching but I didn't see any lazy animation. Sure, it's a bit choppy at times but when there's more gloriously rendered detail in one frame of this show than five minutes of your average modern anime!
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.
Sep 3, 2023 5:24 AM
Dec 2014
It's better paced than the previous episode but... yea, why all the weird inconsistencies and retcons?

I understand that this is kind of a reboot of the series and should be treated as its own separate thing but damn, this came out the same year as episode 8 of Bubblegum Crisis. It's very jarring.

Also, calling animation quality lazy because it's less developed or with less budget it's such a dumb way to go about things. This is perfectly average, middle-of-the-road TV quality animation.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bubblegum Crash Episode 3 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 28, 2009

18 by chato »»
Sep 3, 2023 7:21 AM

Poll: » Bubblegum Crash Episode 1 Discussion

Beatnik - Jan 29, 2009

17 by chato »»
Sep 3, 2023 3:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.